History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 101



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Frank J. Temple, a stockholder and director and cashier of the Lilley State Bank, of Tecumseh, was born at Ridgeway, Lenawee county, on Sept. 4, 1858, the son of John F. and Mary J. (Hoagland) Temple. The father was born in Westmoreland county, England, in March, 1821, and the mother in Seneca county, New York, in May, 1826. The maternal grandparents came to Lenawee county in 1834 and entered land tinder .the homestead law where the viilagel of Britton now stands. John F. Temple, the father, came to New York when a child and attended school at Auburn in that state. He came west to Lenawee county with his mother, who was here married and she died in Raisin township. He was first engaged in the sawmill business in this county, and later devoted his time to the raising of bees. For some years he was town clerk of Ridgeway township and became widely known as a large owner of realty and a money loaner. Although he was reared in the Friends' church he later allied himself with the Methodist Episcopal faith, and he and his wife did much to assist in the spiritual and material development of that society in Lenawee county. The father's demise occurred in March, 1897, and his wife passed away in June, 1goo. They were the parents of three sons and as many daughters, of whom one son and one daughter are now deceased. Frank J. Temple, the subject of this review, received his primary education in the schools of the village of Ridgeway and later attended the Tecumseh High School. For a short time he was engaged in pedagogic work in Ridgeway township, and then, after having completed a course in pharmacy in the National Institute of Pharmacy, at Chicago, and successfully passing the examination submitted by the state board, he embarked in the drug business at Ridgeway. He disposed of this industry after ten years and for a time was engaged in the same line at Tecumseh. In 1897, Governor Pingree appointed him deputy oil inspector for Lenawee and Monroe counties, and disposing of his drug business he devoted his whole attention to his official work for four years. Near the close of his term, in 1900, he began to write life insurance and was thus lucratively occupied until 19o2. On April 1, of that year, he became cashier of the bank and has since filled that position with as much credit to the wisdom of the directors in choosing him for the position as to himself. He is now also one of the stockholders and a director in the bank. Mr. Temple has always been active in the interests of the Republican party. He was for one term clerk of Ridgeway township and his appointment as deputy oil inspector came as a worthy recognition of his services to the party. Fraternally he is past master of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, and is also identified with Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons; Tecumseh Council, No. 64, Royal and Select Masters, and Tecumseh Chapter, No. 51, Order of the Eastern Star. On Oct. 12, 1881, Mr. Temple was united in marriage to Miss Nellie Reynolds, of La Salle, Monroe county, a daughter of James and Jane Reynolds. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds were early, settlers in Monroe county, where Mr. Reynolds died some years ago and where his widow is now living. To Mr. and Mrs. Temple have been born three children. Herbert, now assistant cashier in the bank with which his father is connected, graduated at the Tecumseh High School, took two years of work in the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, and then completed a course in the Detroit Business Institute. He was married Oct. 21, 19o8, to Miss Julia Lowry, a daughter of James Lowry, of Tecumseh. Harry F. attended the Tecumseh High School and graduated at the Detroit Business Institute, and he now holds a position with the old Detroit National Bank. Vie, the youngest, is a student in the Tecumseh schools. Elbridge H. Hyde, retired, one of the substantial citizens of Tecumseh, was born on a farm in Franklin township, Lenawee county, July 8, 1847. He. is the son of Albert and Caroline A. (Tilton) Hyde, the former of whom was born in Wayne county, New York, Oct. 25, 1820, and the latter in Jefferson county, New York, March 10, 1814. The parents came to Lenawee county in 1838 and located on a farm in Franklin township, where they lived until 1871. In that year they removed to Tecumseh and lived retired until their deaths, the father's occurring in 1894 and the mother's on May 7, 1901. The father was distinctively a selfmade man, whose career,was highly successful. In his political relations he was a Republican, and he and his wife were devout members of the Universalist church. They were the parents of two children, Francis A. and Elbridge H., both living in Tecumseh. Our subject, Elbridge H., attended the district schools in the vicinity of his home and then followed agricultural pursuits until 1882. In that year he received an appointment as deputy sheriff and removed to Adrian. Two years later he was made under sheriff and held the office during a term of two years. During the seven years immediately following he was employed by the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway Company, and at the end of that period retired and carne to Tecumseh to live. Since becoming a resident here he has devoted himself' to the management of the estate left by his father. In his political relations Mr. Hyde is allied with the Republican party, and his appointments as deputy and under sheriff came as fitting tributes to his loyalty to the cause of the party. Mr. Hyde is unmarried. He is highly respected and esteemed by the citizens of Tecumseh, who recognize in him one of the strongest and most representative men of the county. Herbert Roy Conklin, M. D., a prominent practitioner of Tecuunseli, was born in that village, June 29, 1875, the son of. Myron TI. and Virginia (WWTebster) Conklin. The -father was born at Scottsburg, N. Y., in 1843, and the mother in Darlington, Ind., May 1g, 1850. The father' was a carpenter in his early life,, came to Lenawee county in 1863, and for many years he was engaged in farming. He is now living retired. In his political views he has always been aligned with the Republican party and he and his wife are members of the Methodist. Episcopal church. They are the parents of two children: Erwin, who is a farmer in Lenawee county, and the Doctor. Dr. Conklin received his primary education in the schools of Tecumseh, and after graduation at the high school was for two years employed in a clerical capacity in a dry goods store at Milan, Mich. He then began the study of medicine tinder the tutelage of Dr. George Howell, and subsequently entered the medical department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. There he was graduated in the class of 1goo, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, and the same year he began the practice of his profession as a physician in one of the mining towns of the state. In 1902 he came to Tecumseh and has since been successfully engaged in his practice. His skill and thorough knowledge of the most advanced methods, supplemented by post-graduate work in Chicago, has won him a reputation as one of the most successful practitioners in the county. In his political views Dr. Conklin is allied with the Republican party, but he has never sought public preferment for himself. His deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, to the material advancement of which he has contributed liberally. In a professional way he is allied with the Lenawee County, the Michigan State and the American Medical associations; and fraternally with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. '42, Royal Arch Masons; Blanchard Council, No. 34, Royal and Select Masons; Tecumseh Lodge, No. 14, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; the Knights of the Maccabees, the Royal Arcanum, and the Order of the Eastern Star. On June 17, 1902, was celebrated Dr. Conklin's marriage to Miss Gertrude R. Howell, born in Tecumseh, June 7, 1873, the daughter of Dr. George and Ann (Rernington) Howell. Of this union was born, Aug. 1g, 19o3, a daughter, Georgiana; and, April 22, 190^, a boy---Jack Webster. Horace Raynor Brewer is a scion of one of the pioneer families of Tecumseh, and the name of Brewer has been identified with the business interests of that progressive village during all the years of its interesting history. In the year 1837, when the early settlement was struggling to assert itself, foremost among the energetic and enterprising spirits who pitched their tents in the wilderness was Horace Brewer, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch. He was then in the strength and vigor of early manhood, eager to put his shoulder to the wheel, and was soon acknowledged as a leading spirit among the various interests which resulted in the growth and progress of the community. As years passed by he was amply blessed in the result of his labors, and until the close of a long and useful life occupied an enviable position among his fellow-citizens. Grandfather Brewer, a native of Hartford, Conn., was born Aug. 13, 1816, and closed his eyes upon earthly scenes at his home in Tecumseh, Dec. 11, 1881. He was reared in his native state, and before reaching his majority became an expert carpenter and joiner, in which he engaged sometime after coming to the West. His first work in Lenawee county was on the Presbyterian church edifice at Tecumseh, and he there met with an accident which came very near putting an end to a useful and successful career. While upon the roof with a bundle of shingles, he missed his footing and fell to the ground, receiving injuries which it was supposed at the time could not be otherwise than fatal. His excellent constitution, however, survived the shock, while his extraordinary will-power assisted greatly in his recovery. The following morning he arose from his bed and rode with judge Stacy to Adrian. He continued at his trade some years, and among other important buildings he erected the first steam saw mill in the county, located in Ridgeway township. This was his own enterprise, and he operated' it successfully for a number of years, then subsequently engaged in the same business at Toledo, Ohio. In 1848, he purchased an interest in the Tecumseh Foundry and Machine Shops, of which in time he became sole proprietor, and he operated it alone until his son Albert had grown to maturity, when he and II. W. Conkling were taken into partnership, the firm name becoming H. Brewer & Company. From a very small beginning this enterprise grew to a large and lucrative business. Mr. Brewer was a natural mechanic, possessing an ingenious hand and a correct eye, and whatever enterprise he undertook he insisted upon having it carried out in the best manner. He was a man attentive to his business, straightforward in his transactions, honored and beloved by all. The universal testimony summed up was that "Every man with whom he came in contact, whether in the business or social circles, was his friend." Horace Brewer was married, Nov. 4, 1841, in Tecumseh township, to Miss Maria, daughter of Isaac Ketcham. To them were born three sons and one daughter, Charles J. Brewer, the father of Horace Raynor Brewer, being one of the sons. Grandmother Brewer was a native of the state of New York, born March 18, 1817, and she died in the family residence in Tecumseh, June 25, 1884. Charles J. Brewer, the father of the subject of this review, received his education in the schools of Tecumseh, and with his brother, Albert L. Brewer, succeeded to the business of his father, in which he was engaged during all of his active career. He was a Republican in his political affiliations, and he and his wife were active members of the Presbyterian church. He was married to Miss Hetta Cummings; who was born in Tecumseh, a daughter of Thomas Cummings, one of the earliest settlers of Lenawee county. Thomas Cummings was born in England and came to Tecumseh with his parents, John and Esther Cummings. Thomas Cummings conducted a carriage factory in Tecumseh for about forty years. He died in 1898, at the age of seventy-eight years, and his wife died in 1895, aged seventy-nine. To Charles J. Brewer. and wife were born two children: Florence, who is the wife of William McGlashan, of Buffalo, N. Y., and Horace Raynor, whose name introduces this review. The father is deceased and the mother resides in Tecumseh. Horace Raynor Brewer was born at Tecumseh, Feb. 8, 1881. He received his early education in the schools of Tecumseh, completing a high school course, and he later attended the Worcester Academy, finally completing his scholastic training at the Detroit University School, where he graduated with the class of 1900. For the past five years he has been vice-president and one of the directors of the H. Brewer Company, of Tecumseh. In politics, he gives an unqualified allegiance to the platform expressions of the Republican party. He is a member of the Masonic order, being a member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. '69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons; Adrian Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templar, and Moslem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of Detroit. He is also a member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 19o, Knights of Pythias. On April 8, I9o8, Mr. Brewer was married to Miss Luella M. Williamson, who was born in Tecumseh, a daughter of Charles E. Williamson, who is given appropriate mention on another page of this volume. Canton N. Turner, secretary and-treasurer of the Riverside Company, at 65-79 West Maumee street, Adrian, cheese manufacturers and jobbers, and dealers in supplies and machinery for cheese factories, was born in Adrian, Dec. 19= 1862. He is the son of Benjamin and Sarah E. (Rice) Turner, the former of whom is now deceased, and who was for many years a prominent resident in Adrian, dealing in boots and shoes, real estate and horses. He was also a conspicuous figure in political circles, his services as a speaker being in great demand during the various campaigns. The mother is at present residing in Spokane, Wash. Mr. Turner graduated in the Adrian High School in the class of 1879, when but sixteen years of age, having meantime taken a year of study at the State Normal School. Upon the invitation of James A. Eaton, he entered that gentleman's employ immediately upon completing his scholastic work, and after one year of service with that firm, a dry goods house, he spent thirteen years with D. M. Baker, in the coal and lumber business. During the three years immediately following he was a special agent for the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, attaining unusual success. Ever since then he has occupied the responsible place he now holds. Besides his financial interest in the Riverside Company, he is the owner of some desirable tracts of realty within the corporate limits of the city, and stocks in local companies. His close . attention to business, coupled with plenty of hard work, has materially assisted in making his firm one of the best known of its kind in the country, and it is one of Adrian's substantial business houses. In matters re-ligious Mr. Turner is one of the active members of the First Baptist Church, and he has taken a special interest in the development of the adult Bible-class work. In this, as in his other efforts, success has been achieved. When_ he began his labors, in 1901, his class had but a dozen members, while today it has enrolled 150 members, and there has gone forth as many more to various parts of the country. The class now has a room of its own, called "The Subway," fully furnished and equipped for work, and it is known throughout Southern Michigan as "Class 19," having become a factor in the Bible-school movements of the state. The Adrian Times, in reporting the Seventh annual meeting of this organization, stated among other things : "Seven times this paper has chronicled the anniversary event of Class 1g, and each succeeding year has seen a growth and improvement almost phenomenal, until outsiders wonder if there is any limit to the possibilities of the organization. So excellent is its record that it is attracting the attention of the Sunday-school world all over the country, and the .secret of its success is the enthusiasm and loyalty of every member and the unfailing devotion of its much loved teacher, Carl N. Turner." On another occasion the same paper said: "A Sunday school class of such magnitude in a single church is a factor not to be overlooked in the uplift and moral progress of a community. It is an advertisement for Adrian which should be widely circulated, _speaking eloquently_ of the trend of thought toward those things which pertain to the higher and better life. The general who commands an army may achieve great fame but accomplish less of real, substantial value to humanity than Carl N. Turner has wrought through the organization and development of Class 1g, It is a work worthy of the highest praise." On Sept. 18, 1889, Mr. Turner was united in marriage to Miss Mabel I. Baker, the eldest daughter of Edwin L. and Estella Baker. To this union have been born two daughters, the older of whom, Ruth I., graduated in the Adrian High School in the class of 1gog, and the younger, Marian E., is a student in the same institution. A son, Donald, died when six months old. Mr. and Mrs. Turner have many friends, and their home at 45 Dennis street, is frequently open for social and musical occasions. Mr. Turner is particularly fond of reading and travel, and has visited nearly all the points of interest in the United States. From its beginning he has been a supporter of the work of the Young Men's Christian Association, and has cheerfully contributed at all times to those interests that have for their object the helping of men,_ and the upbuilding of his city. James W. Wightman, one of the prominent members of the bar of Lenawee county, and a resident of Tecumseh, was born at Lodi, Seneca county, New York, March 9, 1842, the son of John M. and Elizabeth (Nivison) Wightman. The father was a native of Tompkins, N. Y., and the mother of New Jersey. The latter died at Hector, Schuyler county, New York, in 1857, and the father came to Michigan in 1873, locating at Colon, where he died some years later. He was a shoemaker by vocation, a stanch Abolitionist, and followed the large majority of the Whig party in becoming a Republican, when that party was created. Both parents were devout communicants of the Wesleyan Methodist church. The maternal grandfather of our subject was a soldier in the Continental army during the Revolutionary war and originally owned the land where Black Rock, now a suburb of Buffalo, N. Y., is located. The paternal grandfather, John Wightman, was an under-sheriff when the first hanging-that of Guy C. Clark-occurred in Tompkins county, New York. But one daughter of the four daughters and a son, born to the parents, is now deceased. James W. Wightman, the subject of this review, received his educational training in the common schools of New York and was a student at the Starkey Seminary when the dark cloud of war darkened the horizon of national unity. Fired by a patriotic enthusiasm, he enlisted as a private in Company I, of the Twenty-third New York infantry, May 16, 1861. With his regiment he participated in the second battle of Bull Run and the engagements at Cedar Mountain, -`,ntietam, Fredericksburg, and many skirmishes, and June 23, 1863, his term having expired, he received an honorable discharge from, the service. On Jan. 4, 1864, he again enlisted for set-vice, in Company M of the Fiftieth New York engineers, and June 25, 1865, was mustered out of the service. After the cessation of hostilities he returned to his native state and was there engaged as a paper-hanger and decorator for some time. He began the study of law in the office of William V. Bruyn, at Farmer, Seneca county, and for a number of years practiced in justice courts. On April 23, 1882, he arrived in Morenci, axed in 1888, after having successfully taken the examination submitted by the state board of examiners, he was admitted to the bar. Since that time he has devoted his time to the practice of his chosen profession and has built up a large clientage. In his political relations Mr. Wightman has always given stanch support to the tenets of the Republican party, and as a fitting reward..for his services he served four -years as postmaster of Tecumseh by appointment of President McKinley. He is now the incumbent of the office of justice of the peace, and when his present term has expired will have served twenty years in that capacity. He was elected mayor of Tecumseh in March, 1909. In a social way he is identified with Beers Post, No. 140, of the Grand Army of the Republic. On Feb. 27, 1867, was solemnized Mr. Wightman's marriage to Miss Susan McDuffy, a native of Varick, Seneca county, New York, who died at Morenci, Jan. 22, 1888. Mr. Wightman's second wife was formerly Miss Clara V. Boyce, a native of Otsego county, New York, who cane to Lenawee county in 1865. They have no children. Charles E. Williamson has been a resident of Lenawee county during all the years of his life, and is well known in church, fraternal and business circles. He was born at Tecumseh, Sept. I8, 1850, the son of Charles W. and Phoebe (Ketcham) Williamson, the former of whom was born at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., Feb. 22, 1823, and the latter was also a native of the Empire State, born Nov. 24, 1814. The paternal grandparents were Isaac and Martha (Miller) Williamson, the gradfather being a carpenter and cooper, who settled in Tecumseh in 1840, and there he died in 1854. His wife died in Grand Ripids some years later. They were the parents of four sons and one daughter, and one of the sons, John NV., is now living in Grand Rapids at the advanced age of ninety years. The maternal grandparents of the subject of this review were Jacob and Anna (Holmes) Ketcham, natives of the state of New York. They came to Tecumseh in 1834, locating on a farm onehalf mile west of the village, and there they lived out their allotted time. They became the parents of six children, all of whom are deceased. Charles W. Williamson, the father of our subject, was seventeen years old when the family took tip their residence in Tecumseh. In early life he learned the trade of a cooper, and as such became prominently identified with the industrial affairs of Tecumseh. He was a Democrat-in his political views, and himself and wife were faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church. He died July 28, 1895, and his wife passed away Oct. 26, 1890. They became the parents of two sons: George A., who died June 9, 19o6, at the age of fifty-eight years, and Charles E., to whom this sketch is more particularly dedicated. Charles E. Williamson received his education in the schools of Tecumseh, completing a high school course, and upon reaching manhood applied himself to agricultural pursuits. He has a farm of 240 acres, lying in Clinton and Franklin townships, and he followed farming exclusively until 1885. He then removed to the village of Tecuinseh and engaged in the wholesale produce and grocery business. He was thus successfully employed until 1905, when he sold the business to his sons-Charles H., Floyd E., and Leon P.who, under the firm name of Williamson Brothers, are carrying on an industry that amounts to approximately $300,000 per year. After retiring from mercantile affairs Mr. Williamson devoted his attention to the improvement of his farm for a few years, and on Jan. 6, 1908, he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business under the firm name of Rauch & Williamson. In addition to his other extensive interests, he for some time was interested in the electric lighting plant at Tecumseh and officiated as superintendent and manager of the same for two years. He also acted as the -local representative of the Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Milwaukee, for a period of ten years. In politics he is an adherent of the Republican party, and has been honored by election to the position of president of the village of Tecumseh. His religious affiliations are with the Methodist Episcopal church, and he was treasurer of the local organization of the same for some years, now occupies the position of trustee, and he has officiated as the superintendent of the Sunday school. He is a prominent member of both the Masonic order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. In the former, his local connections are with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons, and the Eastern Star. With the Odd Fellows he has membership in Tecumseh Lodge, No. 14; Raisinville Encampment, No. 13, and Rebekah Lodge, No. 338. He served as Grand Master of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows of Michigan during the years 1901-2, and in 1904 he represented the state organization in the Sovereign Grand Lodge at Baltimore. Mrs. Williamson is a member of both the Eastern Star and Rebekah lodges. On May 14, 1874, Mr. Williamson was married to Miss Louise C. Moore, daughter of Harry and Ann Moore, of Dundee township, Monroe county, Michigan, and to this union there have been born six children: Charles H.,, Anna L., Floyd E., Luella M., Leon P., and Rodney, all living. Willis G. ,Schreder.-As a scion of one of the honored pioneer families of Lenawee county and as a representative farmer and stock-grower of Tecumseh township, there is consistency in according in this publication a brief review of the career of Mr. Schreder, who has passed his entire life thus far in the county of his nativity. Willis G. Schreder was born in Clinton township, Lenawee county, Michigan, Feb. 14, 1858, and is a son of Israel and Margaret (Gillespie) Schreder, who were among the sterling pioneers of the county and of whom more specific mention is made on other pages of this work. The subject of this sketch was reared to the sturdy discipline of the home farm and was afforded the advantages of the excellent public schools in the village of Clinton. Practically his entire business career has been one of consecutive identification with the great basic art of agriculture and he is recognized as one of the progressive and substantial farmers of the county and as a citizen of loyalty and public spirit. His well improved farm is eligibly located in Tecumseh township and comprises eighty acres of most fertile and productive land. He gives his attention to the raising of diversified crops best suited to the soil and climate of this locality and is also a successful grower of high-grade live stock. In politics Mr. Schreder is aligned as a stalwart supporter of the principles of the Democratic party, in whose cause he takes a lively interest, and he is ever ready to lend his aid and influence in the promotion of enterprises for the general good of the community. On Feb. 28, 1883, Mr. Schreder was united in marriage to Miss Melvina Patterson, who was born in Lagrange county, Indiana, Feb. 3, 1862, and who is a daughter of James and Rachel (Lupton)- Patterson, the former' a native of County Antrim, Ireland, and the latter was born in Ridgeway township, Lenawee county. Their parents came from Indiana to Lenawee county after the close of the Civil war. They settled in Ridgeway township, where Mr. Patterson became a prosperous farmer, and in this county both passed the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Patterson died in 1903 and Mr. Patterson passed away in I9o5_ He was a soldier in the Civil war and was a valued member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. and Mrs. Schreder have three children: Ethel M., Albert L. and Leon J. Horace L. Barrett, one of the firm of Barrett Brothers, proprietors of the modern hostelry known as the Barrett Hotel, was born at Ridgeway, Lenawee county, Michigan, June 25, 1872. He is the son of Christopher and Mary. Ann (Larkins) Barrett and is descended from a line of Lenawee county pioneers. The paternal great-grandfather, Christopher Barrett, came to the county early in its existence and was one of the founders of the first Methodist Episcopal church in Ridgeway. The paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William Barrett, settled on a farm in Ridgeway township, where they passed the remainder of their lives. The father was a farmer by vocation and a prominent Democrat of the county. His death occurred in January, 1875, and his wife, who was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1840, died Aug. 31, 1903. Of the six children born to them five are living. After graduating at the public schools of Ridgeway, Horace L. Barrett was for six years in the employ of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company, in Chicago. Then he served an apprenticeship in the barber's trade and for seven years after mastering it was engaged in that employment as a journeyman, traveling extensively over the country during the period of his activity in that vocation. In 19o5 he located in Tecumseh to embark in the same line of work, and was there successfully occupied. By frugality and thrift he managed to save a sufficient competence to enable him to purchase, with his brother-William E.-the hostelry now known as the Barrett Hotel. Although the brothers have been engaged in this business but a comparatively short time, the opening under the new management having occurred April 20, 19o8, they have won an excellent reputation for their geniality and hospitality, and the house has become a favorite with the traveling public. In his political relations Mr. Barrett is independent of party ties, preferring to exercise his right of suffrage as his judgment dictates rather than at the discretion of party leaders. Fraternally he is identified with the -Tecumseh lodges of the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the chief aerie of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, and the Knights of the Maccabees. His grandfathers on his mother's side were both ministers. of the gospel of the Methodist Episcopal faith, and it is in the church .of that denomination that Mr. Barrett now worships. On Jan. 6, 1902, was celebrated his marriage to Miss Ina Maud Jackson, of Tecumseh, a daughter of Alfred and Elizabeth Jackson, residents ~of that place. Of this union have been born two daughters, Mary Helen and Beatrice Maxime. William Ellsworth Barrett, who jointly with his brother conducts the Barrett Hotel in Tecumseh, was born at Ridgeway, Lenawee county, Oct. 11, 1864, and is the son of Christopher Bar-rett, mentioned more particularly in the sketch of another son, Horace L. Barrett, elsewhere in this work. Mr. Barrett's early -educational training was received in the Ridgeway schools, and' .after graduation at the Tecumseh High School he went to California. There, in 1887, he began his career as a railroad man, and two years later he returned to Tecumseh, where he entered 'the employ of the road which has now become part of the system 'of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway. He worked up through the various grades, until, in 1900, he was made conductor, a position he still held in Igo8, when he turned in his resignation, early in that year, that he might engage in the hotel business with his brother, Horace L. During his term of .service ,on the road he made the acquaintance of many traveling salesmen, who, when he embarked in his new line of industry, were happy to be able to show the value of their friendship by patronizing -his hostelry. Fraternally and socially Mr. Barrett is widely known. He is a member of Allegan Lodge, No. 111, Free and Accepted Masons; Eureka Chapter, No. 5o, Royal Arch Masons, of Allegan ; Blanchard Council, No. 34, Royal and Select Masters ; Adrian Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templars; Moslem Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Detroit; the Kalamazoo Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks; Tecumseh Lodge, No. 19o, of the Knights of Pythias ; Chapter No. 1663, Fraternal Order of Eagles, of which he is secretary; and the Toledo Division, No. 26, of the Order of Railway Conductors. Politically he is independent of party affiliations and his church relations are with the Methodist Episcopal society. On June 21, 1886, was celebrated Mr. Barrett's marriage to Miss Alice J. Arner, a native of Ridgeway and a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Benedict) Arner. They have no children. Mr. Arner is deceased and his widow lives in Detroit. Horace Weller, retired, now enjoying the fruits of a well spent and useful life, was born in Veteran township, Chemung county, New York, Aug. r4, 1818. He is a son of Jacob and Mary (Gray) Weller, the former of whom was born in Orange county, New .York, Dec. 5, 1774, and the latter in the same state, March 12, 1775. The mother was a descendant of Earl Gray, famous in the annals of Scottish history, and her father was a prominent physician and surgeon in the Continental army during the War of the Revolution. 'The father, a farmer by vocation, went to Chemung county early in its history and there died on the farm which he had made, April 28, 1835. His widow passed away Feb. 3, 1842. Of the family of eleven children all grew to maturity and had families, but the only survivor is Horace, the youngest, who is the subject of this review. Mr. Weller, after completing his scholastic training in the schools of Chemung county, engaged in the mercantile business at Big Flats, N. Y., for some years, going thence to Seneca Falls, N. Y., to embark in the same industry. In 1868 he came to Tecumseh and opened a general mercantile store, which he most successfully conducted until 1873, when he retired from active participation in the affairs of the business world. He has voted for every man nominated for president by the Republican party since its organization, and before that for the Whig candidates. In religious matters he is allied with the Presbyterian church, of which hits fattier was for many years a deacon. In 1853 he became a Mason in the Big Flats Lodge, later was associated with the Seneca Falls Lodge, and is now a member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69. Mr. Weller has been married three times. On Dec. 31, 1838, he was united to Miss Lovina Rumsey,, a daughter of Moses Rurnsey, of Seneca Falls, and of this union were born four children: Marion, deceased; Emma E., who, Aug. 5, 1869, became the wife of Henry Stricklin, of Tecumseh; Julia, who married James B. Green, of St. Louis, Jan. 27, 1873; and Lillian F., who was married to George A. Clark, of Minneapolis, Minn., Oct. 12, 1871. Mrs. Weller died-July 11. 1866. On Dec. 24, 1867, Mr. Weller married Miss Lizzie Fuller, of Oswego, N. Y., who died Feb. 21, 1875. He was united to his present wife. nee Miss Elizabeth Hill, Oct. 27, 1875. She was born in Fenner, Madison county, New York. Jan. 12, 1837, and came to Coldwater. Mich., with her parents, Jabez and Sarah (Wheelock) Hill, in 1861. She is the youngest of the ten children born to her parents, the other survivors of the' family being J. L. Hill, of Coldwater, now eighty-one years of age, and Mrs. Alice Briggs, of Coldwater, now seventy-three years old. Mrs. Weller is a member of the Presbyterian church and has been a member of the Monday Club of Tecumseh ever since its organization, in 1896. Jacob Cheever, deceased, for years one of the substantial citizens of Tecumseh, was born in Carthage, Jefferson county, New York, June 9, 1816. He was the son of Jacob and Rachel (Rice) Cheever, the former of whom was born near Lake Champlain, Aug. 21, 1788, and the latter at the same place, Sept. 22, 1793. The parents were married Oct. 1, 1811, -and came to Michigan in 1836, locating on a farm in Ridgeway township,, where the father died in 1874 and the mother passed away some years later. Of the five sons and two daughters, but one-\Vilford, of Dundee, Mich.is living. Jacob Cheever received his educational advantages in the district schools of Champion township, Jefferson county, New York. In 1837 he came to Lenawee county to make his home, settling on a farm in Ridgeway township, where he had 124 acres of land. Subsequently he disposed of this and purchased another tract comprising 20o acres, which he farmed until the time of his retirement. For seven years he was a resident of Adrian and after 1884 made his home in Tecumseh, living retired and devoting himself to the management of his property. During the early years of his life he traveled the distance between Erie county, New York, and Lenawee county three times on foot. In his political views Mr. Cheever was a stanch Democrat and was the recipient of many official honors. He served for different periods and at different times as constable, assessor, highway commissioner and supervisor of Ridgeway township, and he filled each office with eminent satisfaction to all concerned. Mr. Cheever was twice married. His first wife was Laura A. Gifford, the daughter of Stephen ~tnd Abigail (Coville) Gifford, a native of Rome, N. Y., who came here with her parents about 1836. But two children-Eleanor and Nellie-of the nine born of this union, survive, and they are respectively the wives of Jesse B. Rapplepe, of Portland, Ore., and John Lucas, of Tecumseh. The deceased members are L eander Philander, Richmond, Marietta, Mila, Louise and James. The wife and mother passed away Jan. 7, 1891. Mr. Cheever's second wife was Mrs. Lucy Fessenden, born in Darien, N. Y., in 1834, and she came to Lenawee county with her parents in 1850. To this second union was born one daughter, Clara, who died at the age of three years, ten months, and seventeen days. Mr. Cheever's death occurred Dec. 16, 19o8, and the widow resides at the homestead in Adrian. Henry Bissell, who is now living virtually retired in the village of Tecumseh, is a representative of -one of the honored pioneer families of Lenawee county, though he is a native of the Lone Star State, and he was one of the loyal sons of the Republic who went forth in its defense when its integrity was in peril through armed insurrection. He is well known in Lenawee county and his circle of friends is circumscribed only by that of his acquaintances. Mr. Bissell was born in Bastrop county, Texas, 'May 31, i84o, and is a son of Theodore and Synthia (Spafford) Bissell, the former of whom was born in the state of New York and the latter in New Hampshire. Both families were founded in America in the Colonial days. Theodore Bissell came to Michigan and took up his residence in Tecumseh shortly after the admission of the state to the Union, and even earlier had Ezra Spafford come with his family to this, place, where he erected the first saw mill. In Tecumseh was solemnized the marriage of the latter's daughter, Synthia, to Theodore Bissell, and a few years later they removed to Texas, which was then on the very border of civilization. The father of the subject of this sketch was a soldier in the Mexican war, in which he made a gallant record, and after the close of same was engaged in the mercantile business in the new state of Texas until his death, in 1845. Soon afterward his widow returned to her old home in Tecumseh, being left with five children, Harriet, who is now the wife of Edward V. Wood, of Tecumseh; Francis, who died in Texas; Louisa, who died at Plymouth, Mich. ; Laura, who died at Ann Arbor, Mich. ; and Henry, who is the subject of this review. Here the devoted mother passed the residue of her life, secure in the esteem and affectionate regard of all who knew her. Henry Bissell secured his early educational discipline in the public schools of, Tecumseh, and during his early manhood he followed various occupations, finally becoming a photographer. To the photographic art he devoted his attention for a number of -years, during the greater portion of which he resided in the vicinity of Toledo, Ohio, and he also was successfully engaged in truck farming in Lenawee county for a period of several years. For the past decade he has lived retired in Tecumseh, where he owns an attractive residence and where he is surrounded by "troops of friends," tried and true. Soon after the inception of the Civil war Mr. Bissell tendered his services in defense of the Union, and the records show that on May i6, j86r, he enlisted as a private in Company G, Fourth Michigan infantry, commanded by Colonel Woodbury. He lived up to the full tension of the great internecine conflict between, the North and South as is evident when it is stated that he participated in forty-two battles, representing every engagement in which his regiment was involved, except the last engagement at Appomattox. His command was a part of the Army of the Potomac, and made a record for valorous and gallant service. Mr. Bissell was several times wounded, but was never captured by the enemy. He perpetuates the more gracious and fraternal associations of his strenuous army life by retaining membership in the Tecumseh post of the Grand Army of the Republic, in which he enjoys unalloyed poptilarity and in which he has held various official positions. He continued with his regiment until victory had crowned the Union arms and participated in the Grand Review in the city of Washington. From the time of attaining to his. legal majority Mr. Bissell has been aligned as a stalwart supporter of the principles and policies of the Republican party, but he has never sought or held public office. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. Perhaps mindful of the dangers of strife and warfare, as represented in his army experiences, Mr. Bissell has never assumed matrimonial responsibilities.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com