History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 102



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
John Stoughton Strong, deceased, who for many years was one of the leading citizens of Tecumseh, was born at Strongsville, Cuyahoga county, Ohio, June 29, 1820. He was the son of John Stoughton and Tamar (Whitney) Strong, the former born in Stafford, Conn., July 19, 1771, and the latter was born July 9, 1779. The father went to Ohio from Vermont, in 1818, and died at Brunswick, Medina county,' Feb. 23, 1863. The mother passed away Aug. 2, 1856. John Stoughton Strong, to whom this review is dedicated, came to Tecumseh in 1848, and from that time until his death his interests were extensive and varied. With Elijah Anderson he erected the Brewer foundry; for a number of years he was interested in the starch factory; he was a partner with Lebbeus Drew in the hardware business and built the Satterthwaite Hardware Store; he was a partner in a large nursery business with Charles Fitch Strong, and also conducted with him a hardware business;, he and David McNair were the proprietors of a clothing establishment; he organized, at Coldwater, Mich., where he lived for two years, a farmers' insurance company; with John Nash, of Adrian, he established a bank at Bay City, Mich., and was a director in the Lilley State Bank, of Tecumseh. Besides these business interests he was an extensive land 'owner and a musician of unusual ability, and for several years he acted as instructor of a large class of pupils in vocal music. The first Strong to settle in America came in 163o, and frorn Elder John Strong, who located in Northampton, Mass., has the subject of this review directly descended. On the maternal side he traced his ancestry back to a Whitney, who came to the United States in 1635 and was the first settler and the founder of Watertown, Mass. Mr. Strong was a Republican in politics but never sought public office of any nature. He was a devout member of the Presbyterian church, and was associated with it either as a member of the. choir or as chorister for more than fifty years. His passing was a great loss to the whole community. He was a man of culture and refinement, widely read, and a student of public problems. His early education, received at the Western Reserve Academy, of Hudson, Ohio, imbued him with a desire for knowledge and he kept himself well posted on all the issues of the day. On May 18, 1846, was celebrated his marriage to Miss Delia Alden Baldwin, a native of Strongsville, Ohio, and the daughter of Dr. William and Delia (Alden) Baldwin. The Baldwins came from England in 1638 and settled in Milford, Conn., and the first member of the Alden family to locate in this country came over in the Mayflower. Dr. Baldwin was born in Windsor, Conn., and came first to Blissfield, where he lived with Mr. Bliss, the founder of the village, for a few years, and in 1836 he removed to Tecumseh, where he practiced medicine until his death. Dec. 5, 1864. Mrs. Baldwin was born in Suffield, Conn., and died April 21, 1875. To Mr. and Mrs. Strong was born one daughter, Harriet Baldwin. She was educated in the Tecumseh schools, the Coldwater High School and the Monroe Seminary, and in 1864 became a member of the Presbyterian church. On May 15, 1885, she was united in marriage to Dr. Benjamin F. Snyder, born near Williamsport, Pa. For some years he practiced his profession at Hillsdale, Mich., and in 1881 came to Tecumseh, where he was likewise engaged until his retirement a few years ago. I-Ie is a strong advocate of the principles pro pounded by Henry George, and has become an authority on the "Single Tax" philosophy. Mrs. Snyder is a prominent member of the Presbyterian church and was formerly a prominent member of the Monday Club, of Tecumseh. Henry T. Luce.-A life of signal usefulness and honor was that of the subject of this memoir, who was one of the sterling pioneers of Michigan, to which state he came in the year following that of its admission to the Union, and it was his to aid materially in the development and progress of the great commonwealth in which he elected to continue his residence until the time of his death, which occurred in the village of Tecumseh, June 25, 1887. He was not only successful in the sense in which the world commonly views success, but was also able to attain to that greater reward which comes in the respect and confidence given to one whose life was ordered upon a lofty plane of integrity and honor. In both the paternal and maternal lines Mr. Luce was representative of families which were founded in New England in the Colonial era of our country's history, and the name has been one honored in the various sections in which it has found representation as one generation has followed another on to the scene of life's activities. Henry T. Luce was born. in the state of Pennsylvania, Jan. 6, 1811, and was a son of Dr. Cornelius and Sophia (Smead) Luce, both of whom were born and reared in Massachusetts, where the father studied medicine and became a successful physician. - He temoved to Pennsylvania in the opening years of the Nineteenth bentury, and there his death occurred in 1813. His widow later 'removed with her family to Livingston county, New York, where she passed the remainder of her life. Henry T. Luce was reared to maturity in the county last mentioned and after there availing himself of the advantages of the common schools, he prosecuted more advanced studies in a well ordered institution of learning at Ithaca, N. Y. Throughout life he continued to be a discriminating reader and student of the best in literature, and he was a nian of wide and exact information, a gentleman of culture and exceptionally gracious personality. In his youth he learned the carpenter's trade, and to the same he devoted his attention to a greater or less extent for many years, though he made farming his principal vocation. In 1838 Mr. Luce followed the tide of immigration from New York to the new state of Michigan, and for seventeen years thereafter he was a resident of Washtenaw county, where he became a pioneer and where he followed his trade in connection with agricultural pursuits. He then purchased a farm in Jackson county, where he developed a fine property and accumulated a competency. He was a man of signal business ability and this was conjoined to energy and progressiveness in such a way as to gain to him 'definite success in the various lines of enterprise represented in his farming operations. In 1874 he disposed of his property in Jackson county and came to Tecumseh, Lenawee county, where he lived virtually retired until he was summoned to the life eternal. His wife survived him by nearly twenty years, and her death occurred Jan. 21, 1905, at which time she was ninety-one years of age. Mr. Luce was originally a Democrat in politics but upon the organization of the Republican party he alignedd himself in its ranks, ever afterward continuing a staunch and intelligent supporter of its principles and policies. He was a man of broad mental grasp and took much interest in the issues and questions of the hour, as 'well as in local affairs of a public nature. He rendered yeoman service in the cause of his political party but never consented to become a candidate for public office. He and his wife were earnest and consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church and exemplified their faith in their- daily lives. In March, 1833, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Luce to Miss Lucy O. Fisher, who was born an Clairmont, New Hampshire, a daughter of Abram and Orena (Goss) Fisher, both of whom were natives of New Hampshire and-both of whom passed the closing years of their lives in Livingston county, New York. Mr. and Mrs. Luce became the parents of six children, all of whom are living except one, and their names are here entered in order of birth : Elvira S., Eliza, George, Julia, Manley (deceased), and Chester.



Lewis M. Waldron, who maintains his home in his native village of Tecumseh, and who is engaged in the handling of wind mills and other farm accessories, is a representative of one of the promiment and highly-honored pioneer families of this section of the state, with whose annals the name has been identified for nearly seventy years. Mr. Waldron was born in Tecumseh, March 12, 1848, and is a son of Aaron K. and Sarah (Gunderman) Waldron, the former of whom was born at Romulus, Seneca county, New York, Oct. 23, 1823, and the latter in Steuben county, that state, Feb. 26, 1826. Aaron K. Waldron first came to Tecumseh, Mich., Oct. 27, 1845, and he later returned to Lodi, N. Y., where his marriage was solemnized Sept. 19, 1846. Shortly afterward he started with his young bride for their new hone in Michigan, and an entire week was consumed in making the trip from Seneca county, New York, to Tecumseh, via the canal and the Great Lakes. Mr. Waldron secured a tract of eighty acres of land one and one-half miles west of Tecumseh, and front the wilds he developed in due course of time a valuable farm, to the area of which he added by later ptn--chases. He continued to reside on this old homestead until he was summoned from the scene of life's activities, in-I898. and his widow still maintains her residence on the old homestead, one of the venerable and honored pioneer women of Lenawee county. Aaron K. Waldron was a man of strong mentality and, distinct individuality, while he so guided and governed his course throughout life as to merit and retain the implicit confidence and esteem of his fellow men. He labored indefatigably in the pioneer days, and contributed his quota to the material and civic progress of the county which was his home for so long a term of years. He was a staunch Republican in politics, having joined the party at the time of its organization, and was a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which his widow also has been. identified from her youth. He was a son of William and Hester (Matthews) Waldron, the former of whom was born in New Jersey, June 12, 1789, and died No. 14, 1833, and the latter of whom was born in the state of New York, July 2, 1795, her death occurring in 1857. They were married Feb. 2, 1814, and became the parents of six sons and one daughter, all of whom are now deceased. The name of Waldron is an old Saxon name, the forefathers of our subject being citizens of England before the time of William the Conqueror, being driven out of their country by that haughty despot and a location was then chosen in Holland. From Holland the Waldrons came to New Amsterdam (afterwards known as New York) and in the corporation of New Harlem the records of the family can be traced. Resolved Waldron was the original member of the family in this new country, and of his union with Tanneke Nagel was born Samuel Waldron, in 167o. Resolved Waldron was born in Amsterdam, Holland, and was one of the first settlers of this continent. His son, Samuel, married Nellie Bloodgood, and their son, Samuel (second), was the father of William Waldron, who married Hester Matthews. The second Samuel Waldron married one Anna Delamater. The records of the corporation of New Harlem, N. Y., have many items of the name of Waldron, and the name is connected with many historical periods. Jacob and Clarissa (Meeker) Gunderman, the maternal grandparents of the subject of this sketch, were both natives of New Jersey, the former being born April 17, 1791, and the latter at Newark, Sept. 17, 1797. They passed the closing years of their lives at Lodi, Seneca county, New York, where the grandfather died March 24, 1846, and the grandmother in 1874. They were married May 1o, 1817, and Seneca county, New York, was their home for many years. Lewis Meeker, the father of Clarissa Meeker, was born in 1763, and lived in New Jersey till 1812, and then went to Seneca county, New York, where he passed the remainder of his days, dying at the age of 102 years. Sarah Meeker, the mother, was born in New Jersey in 1766 and died in 1853. This couple was married in 1783. Lewis M. Waldron passed his boyhood and youth on the homestead farm in Tecumseh township, early beginning to assist in its work, and after leaving the Tecumseh High School he took a course of study in a business college in the city of Detroit. He has continuously made his home in his native county, and for many years after leaving school hee worked on the farm in the summers and taught school in the winters. He has been very successful in his special business of handling windmills, and by him have been erected a large number throughout this section of the state within the past twenty-eight years. Mr. Waldron enjoys the respect of the community which has ever represented his home, and he is a citizen of prominence and influence. He is a Republican in principle but independent in politics, is president of the Tecumseh Pioneer Society (1go8-g), is a valued member of the local grange, and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which he united in 1862. On April 5, 1874, Mr. Waldron was married to Miss Matilda J. Owen, daughter of William T. and Mary Owen, the ceremony being performed at Tecumseh. Mrs. Waldron was born at Bloomville, Seneca county, Ohio, Oct. 16, 1848, and united with the Methodist Episcopal church at the age of seventeen; being a teacher in the Sunday school for a number of years. Her death occurred Jan, 14, 1876. On Dec. 22, 1887, occurred the marriage of Mr. Waldron to Miss Emma J. Schreder, who was born in Clinton township, Lenawee county, Dec. 9, 186o, a daughter of Israel and Margaret (Gillespie) Schreder, of whom more specific mention is made on other pages of this volume, in the sketch of the career of John F. Schreder. Mr. and Mrs. WWraldron have one child, Margaret L., who was born July 4, 18go, and who was graduated in the Tecumseh. High School as a member of the class of igo8. She is prominent and popular in connection with the social activities of Tecumseh. Mrs. Waldron and daughter hold membership in the Presbyterian church.



John S. Temple, who is now one of the representative farmers of Lenawee county, residing in the village of Tecumseh, is a scion of sterling families which were founded in America in the early Colonial era, and in both the paternal and maternal lines his ancestrial record is one in which he may justly take pride and satisfaction. The old Green Mountain State figures as his place of nativity, since he was born at Sunderland, Bennington county, Vermont, Sept. 25, 1844. He is a son of Merritt and Sabrina (Bliss) Temple, the former of whom was born at Sunderland, Vt., Sept. 20, 1812, and the latter at Wilmington, that state, June 9, 1824. Merritt Temple was a son of Palmer C. Temple, born at Upton, Mass., and who was a valiant soldier of the War of 1812, and who continued to reside in Vermont until his death. David Pliny Bliss, the maternal grandfather of the subject of this review, was a native of Springfield, Mass., and he became one of the pioneers of Clinton county, Michigan, where he passed the residue of his life. Merritt Temple came with his family to Michigan in 1861, and he took up his residence in Clinton county, where he purchased a farm, becoming one of the prominent and influential citizens of his community and ever commanding uniform confidence and esteem. He continued to make his home in Clinton county until his death, which occurred in 18go, and his venerable wife is still living, secure in the affectionate regard of all who know her. Of their eleven children, three sons and four daughters are living at the time of this writing.' In a more generic sense Merritt Temple was a Democrat in his political tenets, but in local affairs he mainained an independent attitude. He was not a member of any church but gave liberally to religious organizations, and his wife holds membership in the Congregational society. John S. Temple, to whom this sketch is dedicated, secured his early educational discipline in the schools of his native state and Clinton county, Michigan, after which he completed a course in the Eastman Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. After leaving school he continued to reside in Clinton county, where he devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1873, when he came to Lenawee county and took up his residence in Tecumseh. Here, in 1875, he became associated in the purchase of the business of the Slayton Lumber, Company and the Sash, Door and Blind Manufacturing Company, for a number of years thereafter the enterprise was continued tinder the title of Wolcott & Temple, and later tinder that of Temple, McClure & Company. Mr. Temple continued to be actively engaged in the retail lumber trade in Tecumseh until 1903, when 11e disposed of, his interests in this line and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. His homestead farm, a considerable portion of which lies within the corporate limits of Tecumseh, comprises seventy acres, and he also owns and operates another farm, of 161 acres, in Tecumseh township. His farm properties are among the best in the county, and he is meeting with-marked success in conducting the same, as he brings to bear intimate technical knowledge, progressive ideas and keen business discrimination. Mr. Temple takes a lively interest in all that tends to further the best interests of the community, is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Republican party, and while a resident of Clinton county he served in the office of school inspector. He is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, and Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons, -and he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. In 1866 Mr. Temple was united in marriage to Miss Helen A. Ide, who was born at Watertown, Clinton county, Michigan, a daughter of Ira and Jane Ide, who were pioneer settlers of that county, where both continued to make their home until death. Mr. Ide was a prosperous farmer and a citizen of influence in his community. Concerning the children of Mr. and Mrs. Temple brief record is here given: Mary E. is the wife of Gaylord Acton, of Chicago, and they have a daughter Gayle and one infant son; Fern F. is the wife of Richard T. Pascoe, of Calumet, Mich., and they have two children, Helen and Janet; Alice J. is the wife of Bertram C. Day, of Indianapolis, Ind., and they have no children; Helen N. is the wife of Frank R. Snow, D. D. S., of Kalamazoo, Mich., and they have two children, Eleanor and Eliza-beh ; Florence D. is the wife of Samuel Ship, M. D., of Battle Creek, Mich., and they have one son, Robert Temple Ship.



John F. Jenkins, M. D.-The subject of this memoir was engaged in the practice of his profession in Lenawee county for more than thirty years, and his memory is held in affectionate regard in the community to whose people he ministered with all of fidelity and sympathy, never sparing himself when it was possible for him to aid those in affliction and distress and gaining a high reputation as a physician acid surgeon of distinctive ability. It is certainly most consonant that in this publication be perpetuated a brief review of this honored and loved citizen, who died at his home in Tecumseh, Oct. 11, 19o6. Dr. Jenkins was born at Napanee, province of Ontario, Canada, Oct. 10, 1834, and was a son of Edward and Eliza (Embury) Jenkins, the former of whom was a native of Wales and the latter of Napanee, Canada, where their marriage was solemnized. John Jenkins, the paternal grandfather of the Doctor, fought under Wellington in the battle of Waterloo,-and the maternal grandfather, Rev. Philip Embury, had the distinction of being the first clergyman of the Methodist Episcopal church in America. Dr. Jenkins was reared in a home of culture and refinement and after due preliminary study he entered the grammar school in his native town, later attending the Newbury Academy. He thereafter was graduated in the normal college in the city of Toronto, and in 1863 he began the study of medicine, under the preceptorship of Dr. John Wilson, of St. Thomas, Canada. In further prosecution of his technical studies he was matriculated in the medical department of the University of Michigan, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1866 and from which he received his degree of Doctor of Medicine. Shortly after his graduation Dr. Jenkins entered upon the active practice of his chosen profession, at Orland, Ind., where he maintained his home until 1872. In 1869-70 he took a post-graduate course, in the College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York city, together with special clinical work in Bellevue Hospital. In 1872 he removed to Tecumseh, and here he maintained his home and professional headquarters until his death. He gained recognition as one of the representative physicians and surgeons of Michigan and ever continued a close and appreciative student of his profession. His ability brought him into prominence in the leading societies of his profession, and he was a frequent and valued contributor to medical periodicals. I-Ie held membership in the American Medical Association, the Michigan State Medical Society, the Tri-State Medical Society and the Southern Michigan Medical Association, of which he served as vice-president. He was also a valued member of the American Public Health Association and of the ninth and tenth International Medical congresses. For fifteen years he was a contributor to the Journal of the American Medical Association, and he was often called upon to present papers before the various professional organizations with which he was identified. In 1891 he presented a paper on "The Treatment of Spasmodic Asthma;" in 1896 a paper, before the Michigan State Medical Society, entitled, "Should the State Provide Hospitals for Tuberculous Poor? "; in 1889 before the same society he offered a paper entitled, "A Case of Absemai Appendicitis," and in 1897, a paper designated- as "The Differential Diagnosis between Malarial and Typhoid Fevers." These represent only a few of his contributions of this order. In 1890 Dr. Jenkins was a delegate from the American Medical Association to the convention of the British Medical Association, in Birmingham, and he was also a delegate to the Tenth International Medical Congress, held in the city of Berlin, in 1890. While thus called abroad he toured the British Isles, Italy, Switzerland, France, Germany, Austria and Belgium, and visited the leading medical colleges and best hospitals of those countries. He was a Republican in politics, was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and was an attendant of the Protestant Episcopal church, in which faith he was reared. Dr. Jenkins was a man of broad sympathy and gentle toleration. He was humanity's friend in the most significant sense and labored with all of zeal and devotion for the alleviation of suffering. That he gained and retained the affectionate regard of those to whom he thus ministered, need not be stated, and in his death there was felt in the community a deep sense of personal loss and bereavement, for his friends and admirers were in all classes and stages of life. He made his own life count for good in its every relation, and the world gained through his services and his noble manhood. On' June 23, 1866, was solemnized the marriage of Dr. Jenkins to Miss Susan McQueen, who was born in the province of Ontario, Canada, Dec. 25, 1837, a daughter of Col. James and Elizabeth (Wood) McQueen, both of whom were likewise born in the province of Ontariothe former on May 13, 1793, and the latter on May 2r, 18oo. Daniel McQueen, the paternal grandfather of Mrs. Jenkins, was a native of Scotland and became a pioneer of Ontario, Canada. He passed the closing years of his life at Port Dover, that province. Col. James McQueen enlisted for service in the War of 1812, when eighteen years of age, and he was wounded in the battle of Lake Erie. In the Canadian war of 1837 he was made a major- in the government troops, and later was promoted to the office of colonel. He also received -promotion for brave and gallant service in the War of 1812. He was a participant in the battle in which his commander, General Brock, was killed. Of his thirteen children eleven attained to years of maturity, and of the number only two daughters are now living, the elder being the widow of the subject of this memoir. Dr. and Mrs. Jenkins became the parents of five children Edith died in childhood; Mabel is the wife of Edward G. Hendrickson, of Chicago; Augusta is deceased; Milton is a resident of Chicago; and Florence is the wife of Frederick Air. Lockwood, M. D., of South Bend, Ind., they have one son, Russell, born March 27, 1908. Mrs. Jenkins still maintains her home in Tecumseh, where she has long been prominent in social affairs and where she is surrounded by many devoted and cherished friends. She holds membership in.the Presbyterian church. Frank W. Clay is one of the men who merits the high standing accorded to him by the community in which he lives, for on all occasions his principles and actions have placed him among the most public-spirited and philanthropic men of Adrian. He was born in Seneca county, New York, May 24, 1837, and came to Michigan with his parents in r839. His father, Rev. Bradbury S. Clay, was born in Portsmouth, N. H., and was one of the pioneer Baptist ministers of Michigan. He was stationed at Adrian for five years during the early days of the First Baptist Church, and afterward he was in charge of different churches in Indiana and Illinois. He carried on a noble work among the pioneer settlers of these states during their struggles in making homes and subduing the wilderness. His death occurred in 1870, in his seventy-fifth year. The father was twice married, his second wife having been Miss Mary Raymer, of Bolton, N. Y. They became the parents of five children, of whom Frank W. is the third in order of birth. Miss Sarah Frances Clay, the daughter of his first wife, became the wife of the Hon. W. S. Wilcox, of Adrian, in 1844. After a few brief years of happy married life she was summoned, Feb. 12; 1852, to take that long journey from which no traveler has ever returned. Mrs. Mary (Raymer) Clay died in i88o, after reaching her eighty-second year. Frank W. Clay resided with his parents until he was eleven years old, and then he went forth alone to battle with the world. After acquiring such education as the pioneer schools afforded, he migrated, at the age of seventeen, to Oberlin, Ohio, and by his own unaided efforts and hard work, took a two years' course at Oberlin College. In 1854 he returned to Adrian and found employment as a clerk in the drug store of the late Samuel E. Hart, and subsequently with Remmington & Bennett, and Norman Bidwell, who were also druggists. - Not content to be the employe of another, in x86o he formed a partnership with Rial Niles in the drug and grocery business. This firm continued for about five years, occupying what is now the Shepherd store, which they built, on North Main street. Mr. Clay's executive ability became well known,- and in j866 he was offered and accepted a position as confidential manager of the late Elihu L. Clark's loan office, and he continued to hold that important position until 1870. In that year he accepted the position of teller in Waldby's Bank at Adrian. In 1871 this bank was transformed into the First National Bank of Adrian, and Mr. Clay retained the same position that he held in the local banking company. The National Bank wound up its affairs after a few years, and the late E. I. Waldby and Mr. Clay purchased the building and continued the business as private bankers, under the firm name of Waldby & Clay. This banking company continued until 1894, when anew organization was effected, and the present institution, known as Waldby & Clay's State Bank, was founded. Mr. Clay became the president of the bank, which today enjoys the utmost confidence of the people and carries on as large if not larger business than any other bank in Southern Michigan. 'Mr. Clay has always taken a great interest in the growth and prosperity of Adrian. He has twice been elected city treasurer, and he served as school director for three-years. In December, 1862, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Clay and Miss Amelia C. Suckox, the daughter of Reuben K. Hickox, of Avon Springs, N. Y. Two children was the issue of this marriage : Rial, born in Adrian, Feb. 2o, 1864; and Geraldine, also born in Adrian, July 8, 1865, the latter of whom is the wife of Joseph H. Ames, of Detroit, Mich:, the marriage occurring in 1889. Rial received his scholastic training in the excellent public schols of Adrian, and after graduating in the high school, entered his father's bank as messenger. By enterprise and application to his duties he worked his way up to the responsible position of cashier. In 1900 his health failed as the result of too close application to business, and he was obliged to seek relief in another climate, among the Alps of Switzerland. He remained there with his wife for two years, and has so far recovered as to be again; in normal health. On Sept. 11, 1888, Rial Clay was united in marriage to Fanny Ketchum., the daughter of Daniel and Martha E. Ketchum, of Adrian. Two children have come to bless this union: Frank D., born in Adrian, March 14, 1890; and Martha Amelia, born in Adrian, Sept. 17, 1894. The family are now living in Colorado Springs, Col., where they removed in 1903, and Mr. Clay is engaged in running a large chicken ranch, raising nothing but the purest breed of White Leghorn chickens. Mrs. Joseph H. Ames, Frank W. Clay's `daughter, lives in Detroit, not far from her old home. On June 17, 1909, Mrs. Amelia Clay, wife of the subject of this sketch, passed away, but the memory of her, as wife, mother and Christian woman, will always live while there remains one whose life was brightened by her goodly influence. Hers had been a life of devotion to her husband, children, church, and its kindred organizations, and she was a leader among her sex in all work of a social or religious nature. Her. friends were legion, and not only is she mourned by her family, but her loss is felt by church workers, her Sunday-school class and the many who received bounties from her hand. Hers had always been a life of goodly influence to her co-workers and an inspiration to those associated. with her. The Clay home is in one of the fine residence districts of the city, at the southwest corner of East-Church and Division streets.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com