History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 109



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Herbert E. Loyster, former mayor of Hudson, and recognized as one of the representative business men and most public-spirited citizens of this attractive and thriving little city, conducts a large and prosperous creamery business and also is an extensive buyer and shipper of eggs and poultry. Energy and progressive methods have brought to him a large measure of success in his chosen field of endeavor, and he holds the unqualified esteem of the people of his home city and county. Mr. Loyster was born in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, Michigan, March 17, 1859, and is a son of Abram and Lucy M. Smith, both natives of the state of New York. Abram Loyster was born at Niles, N. Y., April 7, 1831, and in the old Empire State he was reared and educated. He was a boy at the time of his father's death, and thereafter he was taken into the home of an elder brother, under whose effective direction he learned the carpenter's trade. After attaining years of maturity he followed his trade during the summer months and taught in the district schools during the winter terms for several years. After his marriage he came with his wife to Michigan and became one of the pioneers of Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, where he took up his abode about 1856. He purchased 16o acres of land, and there developed a good farm, besides which he found his services in requisition as a teacher in the district schools. He remained on his original homestead until 1864, when he sold the property and purchased another farm, in Pittsford township, Hillsdale county, where he continued to reside until 1866, when he removed with his family to Hudson, where he devoted his attention to teaching in the public schools until 1869. He then established himself in the butter, egg and poultry business, in which he continued most successfully during the residue of his long and useful career. His death occurred Jan. 1, 1893, and his widow still resides in Hudson. They became the parents of two sons and two daughters, three of whom survive the honored father. Abram Loyster was a man of fine intellectuality and generous attributes of character. His integrity was inviolable, and he ever merited and received the unqualified esteem of his fellow men. He was an adherent of the Republican party, and was a consistent member of the Baptist church, of which his widow likewise is a devoted member. Of the four children, Herbert E., of this sketch, was the firstborn; Mary L. is the wife of Fred P. George, of Hudson; Martha I., the wife of James A. Canfield, of Patchogue, N. Y., and George Harvey died in Hudson in January, 1907. Herbert E. Loyster was reared in a home of culture and refinement, and this influence proved potent in results during the formative period of his character. He gained his rudimentary education in the district schools of his native county, and after the family removal to Hudson, he here continued his studies in the village schools, including the high school, after which he completed a course in the Evans Business College, in the city of Adrian. After leaving school he became an employe of his father, in the poultry and butter and egg business, and he gained an intimate knowledge of all details of this line of enterprise, while incidentally he became especially expert as an egg-packer. At the age of twenty-one years, Mr. Loyster started forth to see somewhat more of the world than he had hitherto been able to see. He made a trip through the West and from California journeyed across the Pacific to China. He was in Hong Kong for a short time and after his return to California he located in Sunol, where he found employment as butter-maker in a large dairy. In i88o he returned to Hudson, and here he became associated with his father in business, tinder the firm name of A. Loyster & Son. Under this title was initiated the splendid business enterprise now conducted individually by the son, and in addition to his creamery in Hudson he has branch establishments for the handling of his business in other parts of the county, throughout which he extends his operations. As a citizen Mr. Loyster has long been prominent by reason of his progressive ideas and his interest in all that tends to conserve the advancement and material and civic prosperity of his home city. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, in whose cause he has rendered effective service. He servedfour years as a member of the board of aldermen of Hudson, and in 1895 was mayor of the city, in which office he gave a most com-mendable and popular administration of municipal affairs. Within his regime as mayor the city electric-light and water-works systems were installed, and he was one of the most enthusiastic pro-moters of these great public utilities, whose value is now fully appreciated by all classes of citizens. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Independent Order of Foresters, and both he and his wife are supporters of the Baptist church. On Feb. 21, 1883, Mr. Loyster was united in marriage to Miss Jennie M. Dean, daughter of Henry W. and Mary (Chipman) Dean, of Hudson. Mr. and Mrs. Loyster have four children: Carl E. is now identified with business interests in the city of Detroit; Martha is the wife of James A. Goodsell, of that city; and Dean and Clarence are assistants in their father's business operations. Hezekiah H. Pixley is one of the popular citizens and well known business men of the city of Hudson and is a member of one of the sterling pioneer families of the state of Michigan, of which he is a native son. He is engaged in the blacksmith business, to which line of enterprise he has devoted his attention for many years, and he is valued as a loyal and public-spirited citizen. Hezekiah Hale Pixley was born in Wright township, Hillsdale county, Michigan, July 15, 1849, and is a son of Joseph and Aurilla (Hale) Pixley, the former of whom was born in Scipio, Cayuga county, New York, July 13, 1812, and the latter in the city of Toronto, Canada, Dec. 3, 1814. Joseph Pixley' was reared and educated in the old Empire State, which contributed so valuable an element to the early settlement of Southern Michigan, and he himself was one of this valiant band of pioneers. Soon after attaining to his legal majority he came to Michigan, which was still a territory, and he settled in Detroit, where he learned the blacksmith trade. He finally left Detroit and came to Lenawee county, locating in the little village of Canandaigua, where he conducted a blacksmith shop for some time. He then removed to Hillsdale county, where, in 1845, he purchased a farm in Wright township. Two years later he returned to Lenawee county and located in Hudson, where he enga.-ed in the work of his trade for two years. He then returned to his farm, but three years later he again took up his residence in Hudson, where he conducted a blacksmithing business until 1872, after which he lived virtually retired until his death, April 19, 1890, at which time 11e was nearly eighty-eight years of age. His life was characterized by the most inflexible integrity and honor, and to him was accorded the esteem of all who knew him. At the time of his demise he was one of the most venerable of the pioneer citizens of this section of the state. His cherished and devoted wife was summoned to eternal rest Feb. 15, 1888. Of their twelve children, six are living: Alvin, David C., Hezekiah H., Margaret, Melissa, and Louis A. Hezekiah H. Pixley gained his rudimentary education in the district schools of his native township, and after the family removed to Hudson he here continued his studies in the public schools. At the age of sixteen years he entered upon an apprenticeship to the blacksmith trade, under the able direction of his father. When he attained to the age of twenty years his father admitted him to partnership in the business, but one year later he went to Buffalo, N. Y., where he remained about a year. He then returned to Hudson, where he engaged in the work of his trade in partnership with his brother, David. This association continued for a period of thirteen years and the firm built up a very successful business. Dissolving partnership he then engaged in the work of his trade by himself, and has since been so actively identified, controlling a large and representative patronage, He is known as a specially skillful artisan and as a reliable 'and progressive business man. He has ever shown a deep interest in public affairs and is well fortified in his opinions as to matters of political import.. His allegiance is given unreservedly to the Republican party, and he has been active in the promotion of its cause in a local way. He and his wife attend the Congregational church, and he is affiliated with the Knights of the, Modern Maccabees, and the Independent Order of Foresters. On July 4, 1871, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Pixley to Miss Mary Ann Repperd, daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Lightfoot) Repperd, of Hudson. Mr. and Mrs. Repperd came to Hudson from Williams county, Ohio, in 1865, and here he passed the residue of his life. His widow still resides in Hudson, and of their five children three are living. Mr. and Mrs. Pixley have two children: Louis Clare, who was born April 14, 1872, is now engaged in the general merchandise business at Clayton, this county; and Mary Aurilla, who was born July 31, 1873, remains at the parental home. Albert H. Bump has long maintained his home in Lenawee county, and is one of the well known and highly esteemed citizens of Hudson, where he is now associated with his son in business. Albert Humphrey Bump is a scion of one of the sterling pioneer families of Michigan, which has been his home throughout his life thus far. He was born in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, April 9, 1848, and is a son of Albert H. and Fannie (Hawkins) county, the former of whom was born at Chatham, N. Y., and the latter in Oxford, England. Albert II. Bump, Sr., was a mere boy at the time of his parents' emigration from the old Empire State to the wilds of the Territory of Michigan. While still a lad he became an inmate of the home of George Crane, of Lenawee county, and under these conditions he was reared to maturity. His educational advantages were very limited, owing to the primitive facilities afforded in the pioneer community. While living in the home of Mr. Crane he assisted in the building of the first railroad that entered Lenawee county, and his reminiscences in regard to the early pioneer days in this section were most graphic and interesting. He finally became one of the well-to-do farmers of this county, where both he and his wife passed the closing years of their lives. As a young man he reclaimed from the forest a farm in Hillsdale county, and he was ever known as a man of energy and industry and as one whose character was designated by the most sterling attributes. Of the six children of this honored pioneer, all are living except Emma J., who died in 1905. The names of the surviving children are here noted: Bartlett H., George H., Albert H., Mary R., and Ella C. Albert H. Bump, Jr., the immediate subject of this sketch, gained his early educational discipline in the district schools of Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, and later continued his studies in the Adrian High School. After leaving school, at the age of eighteen years, he continued to be associated in the work and management of his father's farm, and later he purchased a farm of 12o acres in Medina township, Lenawee county, where he was engaged in general farming and stock-growing for a long term of years. He finally sold the property and took up his residence in Hudson, and in the meanwhile he became the owner of a farm in Hudson township. This place, comprising seventy acres, he sold in 1894, in which year he engaged in the oil business. Later he disposed of this enterprise, and a still later occupation was that of traveling salesman for the Anthony Fence Company, of Tecumseh. Upon his return to Hudson he became identified with the business of the Hudson Manufacturing Company. In his political allegiance Mr. Bump is a stanch supporter of the cause of the Republican party, but he has never been active in the practical work of politics, nor has he been an aspirant for public office of any description. He and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, but he is tolerant in his religious views. On Oct. 28, 1874, Mr. Bump was united in marriage to Miss Emily Fisher, daughter of Valentine and Elizabeth (Bender) Fisher, well known pioneers of Medina township, this county. Mr. and Mrs. Bump have one son, Valentine, who is one of the representative farmers of Hudson township. He married Miss Ray Haskins, and they have four children. George W. Whitbeck is one of the venerable and honored members of the bar of Lenawee county and is still engaged in the practice of his profession in the city of Hudson, where he has long been in tenure also of the office of justice of the peace. He is the only one surviving of the ten children of Harmon and Deborah (German) Whitbeck, both natives of the state of New York. His parents were numbered among the pioneer settlers of Southern Michigan, where they took up their abode about three years prior to the admission of the state to the Union, and he himself is one of that rapidly thinning class of sterling citizens whose memories link the formative period in the history of this section with the latter days of opulent prosperity and advancement. It is well that the reminiscences of such citizens be perpetuated for future generations, for all too soon will have passed away those who can, from personal experience, relate the tales and recall the conditions of the pioneer era. George W. Whitbeck was born in Caledonia, Herkimer county, New York, May 31, 1831, and is the tenth in order of birth in a family of eight sons and two daughters. Eight of the children attained to years of maturity, but, as already stated, he himself is now the only survivor of this large family. All have eventually to pay the final debt of nature, but to one who thus outlives all others of his immediate .family must there ever be a sadness of retrospect, even though the faith and philosophy of life have in him proper adjustment. Harmon Whitbeck, father. of the subject of this review, was reared to maturity in the old Empire State, where the family was early founded, and there he received a common-school education. As a youth he learned the trade of blacksmith, and to this sturdy vocation he gave his attention in a greater or less degree throughout his entire active career. In 1834, when he was fifty years of age, he came with his family to the Territory of Michigan and numbered himself among the earliest settlers of Hudson township, Lenawee county. He secured a tract of wild land and instituted the reclamation of the same. 'His original domicile was a log house of the type common to the locality and period, and neighbors were few and far separated from each other. He and his family felt the full tension of this comparative isolation and of being denied the advantages and conveniences which had been theirs in their old home in New York. But, like so many others who aided in laying the foundations for a great commonwealth, the parents of our subject were courageous and self-sufficient, so that they were able to make the best of conditions existing and to derive a due satisfaction from the labors and experiences of each successive day. After having been a resident of this county about two years Harmon Whitbeck sold his original farm and removed to Pittsford township, Hillsdale county, where he purchased another tract of wild land, a considerable portion of which he reclaimed to effective cultivation. He also established on his farm a blacksmith shop, and here he found much requisition for his effective services as an artisan, for the facilities which he had were of a sort none too available in the early days. He continued to give his attention to the im-provement and work of his farm and to the operation of his blacksmith shop until his death, which occurred in the later '5os. His wife preceded him to eternal rest, and the remains of both he in one of the cemeteries of Lenawee county, at Hudson. They were associated with the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics the father was an old-line Democrat. George W. Whitbeck, whose name initiates this article, relates that his father was the first person to own a horse in his neighborhood, where the work on the pioneer farms was done almost entirely through the utilization of ox-teams. He also recalls the enthusiasm and good will of the pioneer political meetings, at which the settlers assembled to "compare notes" and visit with each other, quite as much as to define and regulate matters of public policy in the community. Mr. Whitbeck was a child of about three years at the time of the family removal from New York to Michigan, and in Pittsford township, Hillsdale county, he gained his rudimentary education in a primitive log school house, equipped with puncheon floor, wide fireplace and slab seats and desks. When twelve years of age he went to Norwalk, Ohio, where ere he attended the common schools and where he later entered a seminary conducted under the auspices of the Baptist church. He completed the academic course in this institution, which was ably conducted, and after his graduation he entered the law office of his brother John, as clerk and student. He made rapid advancement in acquiring knowledge of the science of jurisprudence, and in 1853, upon examination before the constituted authorities, he was admitted to the bar, at Norwalk, Ohio, where his brother was engaged in practice at the time. There he forthwith associated himself with his brother in active professional work, and he continued his residence at Norwalk until 1865, when he returned to Lenawee county and took tip his abode in Hudson, which was then a small village. Here he has continued in the work of his profession during the long intervening years, and it is safe to say that no other active member of the bar of the county can show a record of longer continuous service. Mr. Whitbeck has ever been known as a wise and conservative counselor, and in past years he was prominent as an advocate. He has been concerned in important litigations in the state and local courts, and in the office of justice of the peace has had to pass on matters of greater import than those which ordinarily are brought to this tribunal. He served two terms as township clerk of Hudson township, and for four years he was circuit-court commissioner for this county. In 1884 he was elected justice of the peace, and of this office he has since remained in tenure without interruption. It is needless to say that no citizen is held in more unequivocal confidence and esteem than "Esquire" Whitbeck, and he is known as a loyal and public-spirited citizen and as a worthy member of the profession with which he has been identified from his early manhood. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, and he is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and with its adjunct, the Order of the Eastern Star. Both he and his wife are zealous members of the Congregational church of Hudson, in which he served fifteen years as trustee. On Feb..27, 186o, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Whitbeck to Miss Mary J. Snook, daughter of Harry and Polly (Williams) Snook, of Norwalk, Ohio. The only living child of this union is Harry H., who was born Jan. 26, 1865, and who is now connected with a leading wholesale establishment in the city of Detroit. John Ingersoll Knapp, a retired pioneer residing in Adrian, was born in Ridgeway, Orleans county, New York, Nov. 24, 1825, and was the first white child born within the present limits of the village of Medina, N. Y. His parents were John and '-lIamre (Hotchkiss) Knapp, the former of whom was born in Mamaroneck, Westchester county, New York, Aug. 22, 1785, and the latter was a native of Cheshire, Conn., born May 30, 1786, daughter of John C. and Mary (Chittenden) Hotchkiss, of Delhi, Delaware county, New York. John Knapp was the son of Peter and Dina (Guyon) Knapp, the former a native of Westchester county, New York, born Feb. 25, 1755, a direct descendant of Nicholas Knapp, an Englishman, who settled in Westchester county in 163o, and died there in April, 1670. Dina Guyon was born in Westchester county, New York, May 7, 1757, and died Oct. 17, 1835, being survived by her husband until April 13, 1839. Peter and Dina (Guyon) Knapp were married on May 18, 1775, he at the time being a member of Capt. Abram Mead's company of Revolutionary patriots, which had fought at the Battle of Lexington in April and had marched to the relief of Boston. He was discharged from the service as corporal, June 23, 1777, and afterward became a private in the Westchester county militia, Third regiment, Capt. Samuel Haight, becoming a "minute man," which carried with it land bounty rights, as shown in "New York in the War of the Revolution." In 1787 Peter Knapp, with his wife and five children, removed to Delaware county, New York, where he resided until about 1806, when he removed to Onondaga county and took up land in Spafford township, on his land warrant. There he and his wife continued to reside until their respective deaths, as previously stated. To these honored parents, twelve children were born: Sarah, born April 2, 1776, at Greenwich, Conn., married Elijah Hadden, in December, 1794, and died in New York city; Anna, born Dec. 13, 1777, married Mr. Madden and died Oct. 28, 1828; Cynthia, born May 13, 1780, at Greenwich, Conn., married Ellis Taft, Oct. 8, 1809, and died April 16, 1867, at Auburn, N. Y.; Elijah, born at Greenwich, Conn., Dec. 9, 1782, married Betsey Burdic and died at Spafford, N. Y.; John, the father of the subject of our sketch, was next in order of birth; Hannah, born March 9, 1789, in Delaware county, New York, married John Ingersoll, Aug. 20, 1807, and died at Lodi, N. Y., Dec. 14, 1866; Peter, Jr., born at Stamford, N. Y., Feb. 4, 1791, married Sarah Babcock, Feb. 26, 1815, and died March 24, 1875, at Spafford, N. Y.; Mary, born at Stamford, N. Y., July 29, 1793, married Jonathan Patterson, and died at Chardon, Ohio; Isaac, born at Stamford, N. Y., Aug. 29, 1795, died June 26, 1871, at Coldwater, Mich. ; Silas, born at Stamford, N. Y., Dec. 30, 1797, married Flora Barber, of Canton, Conn., and died at Owosso, Mich., Dec. 15, 1888; James DeB., born at Stamford, N. Y., March 3, i8oo, died at Weston, Mich., Dec. 9, 1855; Kortright, born at Stamford, N. Y., April 4, 1803, married Gincy Skinner, of Hillsboro, N. H., and died at Weston, Mich., Jan. 17, 1883. The ancestors of Peter Knapp originally emigrated from Germany and settled in England about the beginning of the Thirteenth century, and in 1S4o had become quite numerous and wealthy. They were possessed of great skill and bravery and at a tournament held at Norfolk, England, under the reign of Henry VIII, a coat of arms was granted Roger D. Knapp, to commemorate his skill and success in unseating three knights, also of great skill and bravery. As previously stated, the forebear, Nicholas Knapp, came to America from England in 163o. He came over with Winthrop and Saltonstall's fleet, which arrived in Boston Bay, March 1, 1630. John Knapp, the father of our subject, grew to manhood at Stamford, N. Y., and on Feb. 13, 18o6, he was united in marriage to Miss Mamre Hotchkiss, a native of Cheshire, Conn., where she was born May 30, 1786. John Knapp and wife later removed from Stamford, N. Y., to Spafford, Onondaga county, that state, where they continued to reside until 182o, when he disposed of his holdings and removed to the township of Ridgeway, Genesee county, where he purchased land in what was known as the "Holland Purchase," which was then an unbroken wilderness. Soon afterward Orleans county was organized and set off from Genesee county, and thereafter, or until 1834, when he immigrated to Lenawee county, Michigan, John Knapp was a resident of Orleans county. In the winter of 1834, he sold his farm there, and in March following, started on foot in company with his brotherin-law, Cook Hotchkiss, to locate land for homes in the Territory of Michigan, walking all the way, both going and returning. On their arrival in Lenawee county, they jointly located the northeast quarter of section 2, township 8 south, range i east, where the village of Medina now stands, and which at that time was located in the township of Fairfield, from which Seneca and Medina townships were later detached. He returned to New York for his family, and in May, 1834, accompanied by his wife and three children, he left New York in a one-horse wagon for their far western home, where they arrived in due time and where Mr. Knapp cleared up a farm on which he.continued to reside until 1841, when he sold out to the Medina Milling Company and removed to Fairfield township, where he had purchased 200 acres on sections 19 and 20, where the village of Weston now stands. He resided there until 187o, when he became feeble in health, and removed to Adrian to reside with his son, John I., and there he died, Jan. 17, 1874. John Knapp and wife became the parents of eight children : Mary C., born Oct. 25, 1807, died Aug. 13,1826; Hannah I., born Dec. 6, 1809, lived to a venerable age and passed away in Yates, Orleans county, New York; Amos S., born Feb. 24, 1812, died in Napa, Cal., Jan. .15, 1898; Nancy C., born Feb. 3, 1815, died Oct. 11, 1830; Abigail, born April r8, 1817, died May 9, 1896; Lauren H.. (first), born April 7, 1820, died Aug. 2, 1822; Lauren H. (second), born on Feb: 26, 1823, died April 7, 1836, being the first death in the township of Medina, and John I., the subject of this sketch was the youngest of the family. John 1. Knapp assisted in clearing up the Fairfield township farm, and was reared to agricultural pursuits. In November, 186o, he was elected treasurer of Lenawee county, and he removed to Adrian in January, 1861, to assume the duties of his office. He was re-elected in 1862 and again in 1864, serving six years in all. He followed different lines of business after retiring from office, until 1870, when he entered the United States mail service, and for two years he served as railway mail clerk. In 1873 he was promoted to the office of postoffice inspector at large, succeeding Charles Redfield, removed, and he held this office four years. In 188o Mr. Knapp engaged in the manufacture of brick and tile machinery with the late James Farrar and James C. McKenzie. On March 9, 1883, the factory, which was located on Winter street, in Adrian, was entirely destroyed by fire, and the firm sustained a loss of about $20,000. Immediately after this disastrous conflagration, which destroyed all patterns and machinery, steps were taken to rebuild, and during the summer of 1883 a large structure was built and supplied with new machinery and appoint-ments. Mr. Knapp remained in the business about eighteen years, and since 1897 has lived in practical retirement. In March, 1902, he commenced the arduous work, in connection with Richard I. Bonner, of soliciting, compiling and publishing "An Illustrated History and Biographical Record of Lenawee County," which work was completed in 1903. Mr. Knapp has been a member of the Lenawee County Pioneer Society since its organization, and served as the president of the organization for a number of years. He has also served as vice-president of the State Pioneer Society. On April 24, 1851, John I. Knapp married Miss Ellen Willey, daughter of Henrick and Lois (Harrison) Willey, of Blissfield, and they became the parents of five children : Marv C., born in Fairfield, March 10, 1852, and died July 29, 1856; M. Adella, born Feb. 9, 1855, married George E. Kedzie, April 12, 1881, and four children-Rosemond H., Malcolm K., Margaret A., and Robert S.were born to them; Harriet E., born Jan. 1, 1858, married John C. Lambie, Jan. 10, 1883, and became the mother of three children-Ellen J., John K., and Josephine W.-the father dying March 25, 1893; Herbert, born Dec. 29, 186o, died Dec. 30, 1863; and Frank W., born Aug. 8, 1865, married Miss Maud Hotchkiss. Mrs. Ellen (Willey) Knapp was born at Potsdam, N. Y., July 30, 1829, and came to Michigan with her parents in 1836, settling in Blissfield. She died while on a visit to her daughter, Mrs. Kedzie, in Chihuahua, Col. On June 18, 1885, John I. Knapp married Miss S. Viola Wood, daughter of Zebina and IIuldah Wood,, of Adrian. She was born in Columbia, Lorain county, Ohio, May 3, 1838, and came to Michigan, in 1840, with her parents, settling in Wheatland, Hillsdale county. At the opening of the State Industrial Home for Girls at Adrian, in 1881, she was the first officer appointed by the board of control. After serving four years as matron, she resigned. Mr. and Mrs. Knapp conduct a very popular hostelry, known as "The Colonial Home," in the city of Adrian, and the popularity of the place is evidenced by the extensive patronage which it receives. Frank V. Hale, D. 0., is an able representative of the beneficent science of Osteopathy, and is established in a large and successful practice at Hudson, in which city he maintains his residence and professional headquarters. He is specially skilled in his profession and in the technical knowledge pertaining to its application, and by this reason he has been most successful in handling the various cases which have been under his ministration. Dr. Hale is a nativeof Hicksville, Defiance county, Ohio, where he was born Feb. 24, 1873, and he is the only son of Edwin E. and Fidelia (Coburn) Hale, the former of whom was born in Williams county, Ohio, in 1843, and the latter in DeKalb county, Indiana, in 1848. Edwin E. Hale was reared and educated in his native county, where his early training was in connection with the work of the home farm. He was still identified with agricultural interests at the time when the integrity of the nation was placed in jeopardy through armed insurrection, and his youthful patriotism was roused to definite response. In 1862, when about nineteen years of age, he enlisted as a private in Company F, One Hundred and Eleventh Ohio infantry, and with this gallant command he continued in service until victory had crowned the Union arms. He was promoted first sergeant in his company, and as such received his honorable discharge after the close of the war. He took part in the grand review in the city of Washington, and there received his discharge. After the war he followed the carpenter trade in Ohio for about ten years, and thereafter he was a contractor in house decorating, at Hicksville, Ohio, during the remainder of his active business career. He was a man of industry, energy, and inflexible integrity, and he was held in high esteem in the community which represented his home during practically his entire life. He passed to the life eternal, Oct. 17, I9o6, and his widow still resides in the old home in Hicksville, as do also her two daughters. Frank V. Hale, the immediate subject of this review, gained his preliminary educational discipline in the public schools of his native village, in whose high school he was duly graduated. After leaving school he was variously engaged until he decided to prepare himself for the profession in which he has attained success. In r9oo he was matriculated in the S. S. Still College of Osteopathy, at Des Moines, Iowa, in which he completed the prescribed technical course under most favorable conditions. He remained a student in this institution for three years and was graduated as a member of the class of 1903. He received his well earned degree of Doctor, of Osteopathy, and shortly after his graduation he returned to his home in Hicksville, Ohio, where he was engaged in the work of his profession for the period of one year. In 1904 he took up his abode in Hudson, and here he has found an ever increasing demand for his professional services, in connection with which he has gained a clientage of representative order. His practice now extends into Northern Ohio, as well as Southern Michigan, and the most effective voucher for his ability and for the value of the science which he brings to bear is that offered in the success which has attended his efforts. The Doctor is independent in his political views, and he is affiliated with Hudson Lodge, No. 26, Free and Accepted Masons; Phoenix Chapter, No. 99, Royal Arch Masons; and Putnam Council, No. 16, Royal and Select Masters. He is a member of the Michigan Osteopathic Association and also of the American National Osteopathic Association. On Dec. r6, r9o8, Dr. Hale was united in marriage to Miss Zelpha B. Rhoades, daughter of Andrew B. Rhoades, a prominent farmer and influential citizen of Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, Michigan. Dr. and Mrs. Hale enjoy the social life of the community and their home is a center of generous hospitality. Dwight C. Buck is one of the successful business men of the city of Hudson, where he conducts a meat market of metropolitan facilities and appointments. His establishment is centrally located, on Main street, and is the finest of its kind in the city. Mr. Buck is a native son of Lenawee county, where his father settled prior to the admission of the state to the Union, and here he himself has worked his way tip to a position of priority as a reliable and progressive business man and loyal citizen. Dwight Cornelius Buck was born in Dover township, this county, Dec. 27, 1856, and is a son of George and Harriet (Smith) Buck, both natives of the state of New York. George Buck was born in 1814 and was reared to maturity in the old Empire State, where he received a common-school education. At the age of twenty years-he married Ada Hamlin, of New York state, and in 1834, he came to the Territory of Michigan and made Lenawee county his destination. Here he secured eighty acres of heavily timbered land, in Dover township, and on' the place he cut the first timber and erected in the clearing his little log house. His wife not being able to endure the hardships in the new home, they returned to York State, where she died after a few months. In the following year he came to-the new home in the wilds of Lenawee county, and here met and married Miss Harriet Smith. With the passing of years he brought about the reclamation of his farm, which he developed into a valuable property, improved with good buildings and maintained under effective cultivation. He remained on the old homestead until his death, which occurred in 1902, and when he was thus summoned from the scene of life's activities he was one of the most venerable pioneer citizens of Dover township, and was a man who held the unqualified esteem of all who knew him. He contributed his quota to the civic and material development of the county, and as an industrious, earnest workman he won a temporal success that was worthy of the name. He united with the Republican party at the time of its organization and thereafter gave an unqualified support to its principles. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as was also his wife, who was summoned to the life eternal-in 1898. Of their children, Helen and Frank are deceased; and the names of those surviving are here entered in the respective order of birth: Lyman, Fillmore, Ada, Edgar, Dwight C., Josephine and Delphine. Dwight C. Buck was reared on the old home farm in Dover township, and his early educational advantages were those afforded in the district schools. He early became identified with the work of the farm, and he remained on the old homestead until he had attained to the age ,of seventeen years, when he engaged in the butchering business, in which connection he sold his meat products principally in the city of Adrian. He thus continued until he had attained to the age of twenty-three years, after which he was employed in Medina, this county, for ten years, at the expiration of which he located in Morenci, where he found employment in a meat market for one year. He thereafter was employed in a similar way in Adrian, and he then returned to Medina, where he again entered independent business as a jobbing butcher. He bought stock, did his own slaughtering and sold his products in various cities and towns, including the city of Toledo. In 1895 he located in Hudson and opened a meat market on the east side of the town, where he con-tinued operations until March, 1901, when he removed to his present attractive and commodious quarters on Main street, where he has since conducted the largest and -best equipped meat market in the city. The enterprise is entirely retail and he gives employment to two capable assistants. Mr. Buck's progress has been the result of his own well directed efforts, and he is well deserving of the success and prestige which he, has gained. He takes a loyal interest in public affairs, especially those of a local order, and is arrayed as a stalwart supporter of the cause of the Republican party. Both he and his wife hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. On Dec. 24, 1878, Mr. Buck was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Lyon, daughter of Chester Lyon, a reprepresentative farmer of Medina township, and the only child of this union is Edessa, who was born Aug. 6, 188i, and who is now the wife of A. K. McLouth, of Detroit. John D. Yeagley, who maintains his home in the city of Hudson, is now traveling representative for S. I. Treat, of Coldwater, Mich., and has long been known as an able and progressive business man. He enjoys marked popularity in his home city and also throughout the territory in which he has traveled as a salesmanprincipally in connection with the fur, hide and wool business. John David Yeagley was born in Atwater township, Stark county, Ohio, Sept. 22, 1847, and is a son of John G. and Fredericka Johanna (Bloom) Yeagley, both natives of the kingdom of WVurttemberg, Germany, where the former was born Jan. 17, 1817, and the latter June 22, 1816. John G. Yeagley was afforded the advantages of the excellent schools of his native land, and there had begun the work of preparing himself for the ministery of the Lutheran church while still a youth. He was sixteen years of age at the time of the family immigation to the United States, and they settled in Columbiana county, Ohio, where he was reared to maturity. He eventually became a successful farmer in Stark county, that state, where he remained until 1854, when he removed with his family to Wright township, Hillsdale county, Michigan, where he continued to be engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1868, when he came to Lenawee county and took up his residence in the village of Hudson. Here he gained a wide reputation as a successful auctioneer, and he continued to follow this vocation during the remainder of his active career, besides which he continued to be identified with the farming. He died Sept. 30, 1885, and his wife survived him by a number of years. Both were laid to rest in the cemetery at Waldron, Hillsdale county. They are survived by four children-Jacob B., Solomon W., John D., and Hannah, and the last named is now the wife of Patrick Connor, of Wright township, Hillsdale county. John D. Yeagley, the immediate subject of this sketch, gained his rudimentary education in the district schools of his native county, and after the removal of the family to Hillsdale county, he continued his studies in the schools of the village of Waldron. He continued to be associated with the work and management of his father's farm until 1879, when he engaged in the buying and shipping of grain and other produce, with the firm of L. Frensdorf & Son, of Hudson. Shortly afterward he accepted a similar position with the firm of Beach & Letcher, with whom he remained one season, after which he passed two winters in the position of mail weigh-master for the government on the Lake Shore and New York Central,'out of New York and Chicago. He next became a traveling salesman and representative for the extensive hide, fur and wool house of Julius Mack, of Toledo, Ohio, in whose interests he traveled in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana until 19o5, when he accepted a position with the American Hide and Leather Company, of Detroit, with which concern he continued until 19o6, since which time he has traveled for S. I. Treat & Son, of Coldwater, this state, who conduct a large and prosperous business in the buying and shipping of furs and hides. Mr. Yeagley is a member of the Michigan Knights of the Grip, and is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of the Maccabees. He gives an unqualified allegiance to the Republican party, and takes much interest in the promotion of its interests. As a citizen he is loyal and public-spirited, and this fact, coupled with his personal popularity, led to his election to the office of mayor of the city of Hudson in 19o6. He served until 1go8 and gave a most progressive and business-like administration of the municipal government and one which gained to him unequivocal commendation. He and his wife are supporters of" the Baptist church. On July 4, 1866, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Yeagley to Miss Sarah C. Sailsbury, daughter of Moses B. and Caroline T. (Hymes) Salisbury, of Medina township, this county. The two children of this union are Bertell E., who was born May 18, 1872, and Glen B., who was born May 22, 1877. Both sons are now residents of the city of Chicago. William E. Keister, who is now mayor of the city of Hudson and a stockholder of the Hazen Manufacturing Company, of that city, of which successful industrial concern he is secretary and general manager, has had a varied business experience, in which he has encountered a due quota of unfavorable conditions, but he has pressed forward with the definite aim in view and has gained a position as one of the representative business men and highly esteemed citizens of Hudson. He was born at Adamsburg, Pa., Dec. ao, 1865, and is a son of William and Mary (Manbeck) Keister, both of whom were likewise natives of the old Keystone State, where the respective families, of staunch German lineage, were early-founded. William Keister was reared to maturity in his native state, where he received excellent educational advantages. He became a successful teacher in the schools of Pennsylvania, and in later years was engaged as instructor in various colleges in the state of his birth. He continued to reside in Pennsylvania until his death, which occurred in October, 1905. In the family were three sons and seven daughters, all of whom are living except one. The mother died when the subject of this review was but nine years of age. William E. Keister had meager educational advantages in his youth, as his actual school training was summed tip in an attendance of about six months in the public schools of Republic, Ohio. As before stated, he was nine years of age at the time of the death of his mother, and shortly afterward he found a home on the farm owned by his cousin, in Snyder county, Pennsylvania. He remained with this cousin until he was sixteen years of age and then located at Bellevue, Ohio, where he secured a position as clerk in a general store. Thereafter he passed about two years as an employe in various lumber camps in the northern part of Michigan, and he then became a clerk in a mercantile establishment-at Jerome, this state, where he remained until r888, when he opened a drug and grocery store at Somerset Center, Mich. This venture proved unsuccessful and he lost all that he had invested in the same by fire. Under these conditions he found employment as a clerk in a store at Addison, Mich., and about one year later, in 1893, he came to Hudson, where he was employed as a clerk in a leading mercantile establishment until 1898, when he associated himself with Elmer E. Cole and engaged in the grocery and feed business. The enterprise was successfully conducted under this partnership arrangement until 1go1, when Mr. Keister purchased his partner's interest, after which he individually conducted the business until 1905, when he sold the same. He made a trip to the West and upon his return, in zgo6, purchased an interest in the Hazen Manufacturing Company, in which he has since continued to be an interested principal and to the success of whose substantial business he has contributed in large measure, through his able assistance as secretary and general manager. The enterprise was originally located in Toledo, Ohio, and since its removal to Hudson its success has been cumulative, making it one of the leading industrial concerns of this section. The company manufactures all kinds of pumps, as well as wind mills and other specialties, and the business is a valued contribution to the industrial activities of Hudson and the county. The products of the plant are now sold in the most diverse parts of the Union, and the business is constantly and rapidly expanding in scope and importance. Though never active in the arena of practical politics, Mr. Keister gives a staunch allegiance to the Democratic party, and he and his wife hold membership in the Congregational church. He is a reliable and progressive business man and has the esteem and confidence of the community in which he maintains his home and in which his interests naturally center. On Sept. 18, 1881, Mr. Keister was united in marriage to Miss Mabel Ostrom, daughter of Shepherd and Mary (McGregor) Ostrom, of Jerome, this state. No children have been born of this union. Mr..Keister is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Pythias, and, with his wife, also holds membership in the allied organizations, the Order of the Eastern Star and the Pythian Sisters. Edwin Youngs, notary public and pension agent at Blissfield, was born in Adrian township, Lenawee county, June ro, 1841. He is the son of James and Harriet (Miller) Youngs, who were born,. reared and married in New York state. They migrated to Michigan in 1834, and located in Adrian township, Lenawee county, where the father engaged in farming. Eight years later he sold his property and moved to East Fairfield, Lenawee county, where he lived until his demise, in 1845. His widow survived him until February, '1854, her death occurring at Morenci. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Youngs : Nelson, born in New York state, died in East Fairfield, in 1844; Sidney, a retired farmer, lives at Hudson, Lenawee county; James C., enlisted in Company B, Eighteenth Michigan infantry, and died in the service at Nashville, Tenn., on 1864; Marietta, now Mrs. Chittenden, lives at Hudson, Lenawee county; Mrs. Mary Jane (Youngs) Moorehead lives in Adams township, Hillsdale county; Frederick died in 1897; Adney J. resides at Benton Harbor, Mich.; Edgar, the twin brother of our subject, lives in Ogden township; Edwin, the subject of this review; and Alfred, who resides at Nashville, Barton county, Mo., and who also served in Company B, Eighteenth Michigan infantry during the Civil war. Our subject received his educational discipline in the public schools of Ogden, Madison, Fairfield and Seneca townships. When his studies were finished he worked on a farm by the month until the outbreak of the Civil war, and then he enlisted as a private in Company B. Eighteenth Michigan infantry. This regiment was organized at Hillsdale, and was mustered into the service, Aug. 26, 1862. It was stationed in Kentucky for some time and it saw some skirmishing at the retreat from Danville. In 1864 it was ordered south and was placed on garrison and scouting duty at Decatur, Ala. It was a part of the force that surprised 1'atterson's cavalry at Pond Springs, capturing the camp. In July it assisted in routing the same brigade at Courtland, being the first infantry engaged on either side. Mr. Youngs took part in all these actions with his regiment and participated in the defense of Decatur against Hood's army. He was one of the forty-five of his regiment who, during Hood's siege of Decatur, crossed an open field outside the works, charging the enemy's "gopher holes" (works), and captured 115 Confederate sharp shooters under their own guns and in the face of a Confederate brigade. For some time the regiment was engaged in building fortifications at Stevenson, but was ordered back to Decatur, where it was on garrison duty until the early part of 186.5. It proceeded to Huntsville for post duty and then, in June, to Nashville, where it was mustered out June 26, 1865. Mr. Youngs returned to Ogden township at the close of the war and was engaged in farming until sixteen years ago. At that time he bought a home in the village of Blissfield. He served as justice of the peace in Ogden township at the time he resided there, and after moving to town was elected to the same office in Blissfield, to fill a vacancy, and served for three years. He is a hearty supporter of the Republican party. Twelve years ago he received an appointment as pension agent in Blissfield, which position he has since filled with eminent satisfaction to all concerned. Mr. Youngs was married in Ogden township, Now. 22, r866, to Miss Sarah L. Cunningham, the daughter of B. F. and Eliza (Smith) Cunningham. Mr. Cunningham died in Adrian, Sept. 7, 1886, and his wife passed away at Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 13, 1889. Mrs. Youngs was born at Norwalk, Ohio, and received her educational training in that city. Two children have come to bless the union of Mr. and Mrs. Youngs : Mrs. Marietta (Youngs) French, who resides in Los Angeles, Cal.; and Mrs. Alice (Youngs) Palmer, of Blissfield. Mr. Youngs' religious belief is expressed by his affiliation with those who believe in the Millenial Dawn. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. and Mrs. Youngs have a fine home on South Lane street, Blissfield. James C. Holt, a retired farmer of Blissfield (farm located in Riga and Blissfield townships), was born near Lyons, Ohio, Nov. 16, 1853, the son of Frederick and Jane (Gilmore) Holt. The former was born in Prussia, June 25, 1822, and the latter in Erie county, Pennsylvania, May 1, 1834. James C. Holt's ancestors can only be traced back as far as his grandparents-Diedirick and Maria Holt, of Prussia, and Ambrose and Mahitable (Stebbins) Gilmore, natives of New York. His father come to America in 1840, settled in Rochester, N. Y., enlisted in the Mexican war, served until its close and was honorably discharged. He settled in Fulton county, Ohio, in 1842, and there he was married to Jane Gilmore, Jan. 1, 1849. Their family consisted of six childrenOliver I-I., of Blissfield, born Dec. 21, 1850; James C., born Nov. 16, j853; Mary J., born Feb. 16, 1856, and died March 28, 1859; Charles C., of Lyons, born May 23, 1858; Hattie L., of Lyons, born March 16, 1862; and George A., born June 23, 1867, and died Jan. 9,-1877. James C. Holt's father was one of the most prominent and energetic farmers and extensive landholders in Northwestern Ohio, accumulating his property by honest integrity, thus enabling his sons to become honorable and reliable citizens by following the precepts of his example. Frederick Holt and wife were noted for their hospitality, generosity, jovial dispositions and sterling Christian characters, leaving their children a good inheritance and' a rich legacy. Mrs. Holt died Feb. 6, 1895, and Mr. Holt the following month, March 26, 1895. James C. Holt was reared on a farm and educated in the public schools of Royalton township. He was married to Miss Flora Bickford, of Royalton, July 4, 1875, and she died of diphtheria, Jan. 21, 1877. He began his agricultural pursuits on an unimproved tract of land in Riga township, in 1875. He is a Republican in his political convictions but has never sought public office. On Oct. 24, 1878, Mr. Holt was united in marriage to Miss Eunice Roos, who was born in Fulton county, Ohio, Oct. 24, 1857, the daughter of Philip and Emily (Noble) Roos. To this union were born three daughters Edna Mae, the oldest, born Dec. 27, 1883,. has been assistant postmistress in the Blissfield postoffice for the past six years. Herma Jane, born March 12, 1885, is a graduate of the Blissfield High School, in 1904, and Lenawee County Normal, in 1907. She has been a successful teacher in the schools of Lenawee county for the past two years. On June 30, 1909, she was married to O. Lawrence Rappleye, of Ridgeway, Mich. He is traveling salesman for Menzie's Shoe Company, of Detroit, Mich., and they reside in Blissfield. Alta Leone, the youngest, born March 9, 1887, graduated in the Blissfield High School in 19o6, and in the Lenawee County Normal in 1907, and she has also been a very successful teacher for the past two years, and is still teaching. Mrs. J. Holt's ancestors are recorded for six generations. Dr. John Philip B. Roos, -who was born Nov. 28, 1754, at Palatine, Germany, was the father of six daughters and one son, the latter of whom was John Burkhardt Roos, born Aug. 4, 1791. He became the father of six sons and one daughter, his eldest son being John Philip Roos. Six daughters, including Mrs. James C. Holt, were born to the family: Mrs. J. R. Haley, of Delta, Ohio; Miss Olive Roos, who lives on the old homestead, near Lyons, Ohio; Mrs. C. H. Stutesman, of Wanseon, Ohio; Mrs. A. F. Patterson, near Lyons, Ohio; and Lena May, who died in infancy. After improving his property in Riga township into valuable farms, on Feb. 24, 1896, James C. Holt retired from active farm life to a nice home he had had erected in Blissfield. Mr. Holt and wife were identified with the Church of Christ at Lyons, Ohio, but Mrs. Holt has taken her membership with the Methodist church since she has lived in Blissfield. Besides looking after the interests of his farms and town property Mr. Holt is a director and stockholder in the Jipson-Carter State Bank, a thriving financial institution. Alva Benjamin Clark was a native of New York, having been born there in April, 1837. His parents were also natives of New York and were engaged in agricultural pursuits in that state, where Alva B. received his early education. A brother, Henry Clark, now deceased, had removed to Michigan, and when Alva B. was fifteen years old, he too came to this state, and began work as a farm hand in Fairfield township, Lenawee County. Later he purchased a farm of 103 acres in the same township, near the Ohio line, and devoted himself assiduously to its successful management, but after a number of years ill health finally required him to rent the farm and retire, and in 1889 he removed to Adrian, where he bought a residence property on Company street. On Nov. 3, 1899, he was married to Mrs. Sabra A. Turner, whose maiden name was Sabra Ann Myers. She was born in Rome township, Lenawee county, June 4, 1842, and was the daughter of Gardner and Esther (Cole) Myers, both of whom were natives of New York state, where the father was born March 1g, 1807, and the mother, July 25, 1805. Gardner Myers was another of those Eastern men who contributed so much to the development of Lenawee county. He came in November, 1835, and secured from the government a grant of land in Rome township, to the cultivation and improvement of which. he gave himself unreservedly. A few years later he bought another farm in the same township, and there he resided until he retired and moved to Adrian where he purchased a tract of land where College avenue and Chandler street intersect. He there erected two houses, one of which is now the property of Mrs. Clark. She later built another house on this property and now owns two comfortable residences there. Mr. and Mrs. Myers died in Adrian, the former in 1875, and later, July 27, 1896. There were eleven children in the Myers family, of whom four are living: David, a resident of Detroit; Elizabeth, the widow of Austin Larabee, re- sides at Jackson, Mich. ; John R. is a resident of Rome township, where he is engaged in' farming; and Sabra Ann is the widow of Mr.. Clark. Mrs. Clark's first husband was John William Beach, who was also a native of Rome township. He was the son of Amos and Sally (Smith) Beach, who were natives of New York but pioneer residents of Rome township, and they continued to live there until their respective deaths. To Mr. and Mrs. John W. Beach -,-vas born one child, Ella May, who is the wife of George A. Cotrell and resides in Hudson, Mich.; he is a traveling salesman, but was formerly engaged in the mercantile business for seven years. Mrs. Clark's second marriage was to George H. Turner, a native of Woodstock, Lenawee county, who was engaged in farming and who died two and a half years after their marriage. No children were born to them. He was a believer in, but not a member of the Universalist church. Mr. Clark was, by a previous marriage, the father of one daughter, Mary, who became the wife of Dr. Essig, now deceased, of Owosso, Mich. Later she married a Mr. Southworth, also of Owosso. Mr. Clark's fraternal affiliations were with the Masonic order and his religious faith was expressed by membership in the Universalist church at Lyons, Ohio. Politically he was an adherent of the Democratic party. After his death Mrs. Clark continued in the successful management of their business interests, which consists of five different residences in Adrian. She is interested in the work of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, and is a member of that organization. She is also a devout member of the Presbyterian church.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com