History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 111



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Alanson Burr Bangs, who for more than seventy years has been a resident of Raisin township, was born in that township, Oct. 23, 1838. He is the son of Alanson and Mary (Mackey) Bangs, both natives of 'Stamford, Delaware county, New York. His paternal grandparents were Joseph and Huldah (Silliman) Bangs, and our subject's father was the eldest of eight children, all born and reared in their native county of Delaware, in New York. At the age of twenty-three, Alanson Bangs, Sr., on Dec. 15, 1824, was united in marriage to Miss Mary, daughter of Uriyon and Jane Mackey, and shortly after that date he came to Michigan, locating in this county, where he became one of the leading and influential pioneer citizens. In the spring of 1825 a tract of eighty acres of land was purchased from the government, but this parcel was exchanged for other property and at the time of the death of the pioneer father, he was the owner of 24o acres in Raisin township. The father passed away Feb. 5, 1873, his wife surviving him till June 27, 1881. The children born to them were: Joseph B., born Nov. 16, 1827, died Jan. 18, 1832; Betsey Jane, born Oct. 11, 1829, became the wife of George W. Haight, of Jackson, Mich., and the mother of six children-Allen G., Ellen, Lucy, Mary, George and Albert-and passed away at her home in Jackson, Dec. 22, 1905; Uriyon F., born Jan. 20, 1831, died Aug. 8, 1832; Huldah Maria, born Aug. 31, 1834, is now Mrs. Edward L. Russell, of Raisin township, and the mother of the following children : Ellsworth, Mary, Ida, Frank and Almedia; Hannah Jeannette, born May 3, 1836, died March 12, 1837; Alanson Burr is the subject of this review; John F., born May 4, 1840, died Aug. 8, 1842; and Mary Ellen, born Nov. 4, 1843, died Oct. 27, 1850. Alanson Burr Bangs received his preliminary education in the public schools of Raisin township, and later finished a course at the Tecumseh High School. All his active career has been devoted to agriculture, not so much to one specific branch as to general production. His log acres are known as the most productive of any in the vicinity, owing to the application of advanced methods and scientific culture. Although. he has given stanch support to the principles of the Republican party as a national organization, his 'politics are independent and he has never sought nor desired public office. Mr. Bangs has been mar-ried twice. On May 9, 1866, he was united to Miss Almedia Coller, only child of James and Margaret (Henclershot) Coller, who was born May 9, 1846. After the death of James Coller, Mrs. Margaret Coller became the wife of Samuel Henry, and to them were born two children-Adelbert F. and Alonzo-both of whom live in Toledo. Ohio. To Alanson B. and Almedia Bangs were born two sons-Montello V. and Arthur A. Montello V. was born Aug. 28, 1867, was reared and educated in his native township of Raisin, and on April Yo, 1889, was united in marriage.to Miss Jen-nie McClure, daughter of Samuel and Anna (Sloan) McClure. At the present time he is living in Oil City, Pa., where he is manager of the branch house of Armour & Company, of Chicago. Arthur A. was born Aug. 12, 1872, and was educated in Raisin township. On Nov. ;6, 1893, he was married to-Miss Rose Packard, daughter of Abijah and Melissa Packard. His home is in Clinton township, where he has recently taken up farming. To Arthur Bangs and wife have been born two children: Roy M., born Dec. 9, 1895, and Ralph B., born Dec. 7, -1904. Mrs. Almedia Bangs died Oct. 1, 1889, and on Nov. r, 1894, our subject married Mrs. Etta Yale Claflin, a widow who came west in 1881, after the death of her former husband, in Connecticut. Mrs. Claflin was born in Ripton, Vt., Oct. 7, 1854, the daughter of Ira and Lydia (Sawyer) Yale, and she is related to the founder of Yale University at New Haven. Mrs. Bang's son, Dr. Guy M. Claflin, is now a practicing physician in Adrian, having graduated at Adrian College, and also at the Detroit College of Medicine, after two years' work at the medical college of the University of Michigan. Dr. Claflin entered the service of the United States during the Spanish-American war as a corporal of Company C, Thirty-first Michigan infantry, and was mustered out of service as second lieutenant of his company. His complete biographical record is given more particularly in another section of this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Bangs spend some of their time at the home-of their son, Dr. Claflin, and both are held in high esteem by their friends and acquaintances. Mr. Bang's entire life has been spent in this county and he has endeared himself to a host of friends by his qualities of kindliness and honesty. Frank N. Gove, one of the leading men of his locality, was born in Adrian township, on the farm he now owns and occupies. The date of his birth was Oct. 7, 1863, and his parents were Hiram Gove, who was born in Massachusetts, in 1823, and Mary M. ('Williams) Gove, a native of the Empire State. When Hiram Gove was a boy of seventeen, he started for Michigan and worked his way through. Part of this journey was along the Erie Canal, where he earned his "passage" by driving the mules that towed the boats, and after his arrival in this county he became a worker on various farms for some considerable time. Several years after his arrival he became the owner of rio acres of land, the same farm our subject owns at the present day. The elder Gove was a quiet and industrious man; habits that were impressed upon him in his younger days, which were spent among the Quaker people, a sect from whom his ideals were taken and a people who never say ill of their brethren or neighbors. To the elder Goves were horn six children: Mary Eliza, who died at the age of three years; Alfred, who lived but two years; Charles, who married Alzina Lanning, and resides in Ridgeway, Mich. ; Arthur, who married Viola Shurtz and makes his home in Tecumseh; Freeman, who married Nettie Dove, and lives in Tecumseh township; and Frank N.. subject of this sketch. Frank N. Gove was educated in the district -schools of Adrian township, and has always followed an agricultural life. At the age of sixteen he began to work on a farm, and for the next -eight years was employed at various places, working by the month. At the time of his first marriage he commenced working the old homestead, and jointly with his brother operated this place for three years. At the expiration of that tenancy'our subject rented a farm of Charlotte Onsted and continued there for a year when he bought eighty acres of land in Franklin township and made that his home till the death of his wife, in 1893. Returning to the old homestead, he worked by the day for three years, and in 1896 he rented the place and has continued there ever since, in 1906 buying the interests of other heirs, and he is now the owner of the farm his father developed in this section. In politics. Mr. Gove is a Democrat, and has been a life-long member of that party. His views on national affairs are in sympathy with his party, but in local matters he is liberal and independent. On Dec. 28, 1887, Mr. Gove was united in,marriage to Miss Minnie Baker, daughter of Daniel and Martha (Dodge) Baker, of Adrian township. To them were born three children: Orville, born April 8, 1889, and Edith, born Sept. 21, 1890, lives at home, and Iva, born March 12, 1893, makes. her home with her uncle, Charles Gove. On March 28, 1893, occurred the death of Mrs. Minnie Gove, and this sad event was the occasion of the breaking up of Mr. Gove's life on his first €arm and his coming back to the old homestead. Mr. Gove's present wife was Miss Minnie Wooster, daughter of Warren and Elizabeth (Dillingham) Wooster, of Raisin township. Of this union there is one child, Leon Gove, born July 27, 1904. Mr. Go.ve is a member of North Adrian Grange, No. 721, and also of the Ancient Order of Gleaners. Warren and Elizabeth Wooster were the parents of twelve children: William, now living in Cleveland, Ohio; Minnie, wife of our subject; Florence, widow of Edgar Haviland, of Raisin township; Jennie, wife of Laban Wood, living in Adrian; Albert, married to Roberta Close, and living in Cleveland; Charles, .of Reed City, Mich. ; Warren, Jr., married to Stella Gilbert, and -making their home in Reed City; Harvey, married to Christina Siley and farming in Raisin township; Nellie, living in Raisin town-ship; Bell, wife of Ernest Miller, whose home is in Adrian; Leon, deceased; and Cyrus, married to Florence Griffin, and domiciled in Raisin township. - Henry Edgar Burnett, a well-to-do and prominent farmer of Adrian township, was born in Missouri, Aug. 27, 1868. His father was Elisha Burnett, who was a soldier of the Union army in the. Civil war. and served from 1862 to 1865, in which latter year he received an honorable discharge. However, the life of the army -suited him, and immediately after the close of the war he enlisted in the regular army, and within a few years contracted a disease that resulted in his death in 1869. Our subject's mother was-Maria (Wetherby) Burnett, daughter of Nathan and Sally Wetherhy, who was born in Fairfield township, Nov 9, 1843. Miss Wetherby's parents had immigrated to Missouri and in that state she met and became the wife of Elisha Burnett, July 13, 1865, and of this union two children were born: Annie.Mae, who died March 5, 1870, and Henry, our subject. Mrs. Burnett died in Missouri March 26, 1872, and Henry was brought to Michigan by his grandmother, Mrs_ Sally Wetherby, and in Fairfield township he was educated, at district school No. 2. His early work in life was on a farm, and that calling has engaged his attention to the present time. His first farm was rented, and in addition to the care of the land he was engaged in teaming, and he was thus employed for seven years. In his twenty-eighth year a farm was purchased in Adrian township, and this tract of eighty acres is the home of Mr. Burnett at this time. Politically he is a member of the Democratic party and a faithful follower of its banners. His inclinations in local affairs are liberal and at local elections the man and not the party is his creed. While not affiliated with any particular church his views on religion are orthodox, and he contributes to the cause of any worthy project. On Feb. 12, 1895, Mr. Burnett was united in marriage to Miss Alma A. Howes, daughter of Henry and Mary (Laur) Howes, of Adrian township, born March 20, 1870. Mr. and Mrs_ Howes have two children-Alma, wife of our subject, and B. L_ Howes, who resides in Detroit and is a member of the partnership known as Spencer & Howes, commission merchants of that city. He is married and the father of two children, Elizabeth and Cole Hugh Howes. To Mr. and Mrs. Burnett have been born seven children, all of whom are'at home. The. children, with the dates of their births, are E.,L., Jan. 8, 1896; Harold Howes, March 21, 1897; Hattie, Aug. 23, 1898; Lloyd Anson, April 29, igoo; Mary M., Feb. 9, 1902; Anna Mae, Oct. 4, 19o4; and Edgar H., Oct. 14, 1908. William Hawley Smith, whose immediate ancestors were pillars of strength in the upbuilding of the moral and intellectual welfare of this territory, and whose own life has been one of devotion to his country and community, was born in Rome, Rome township, this county, April 5, 1844. His present location is in Adrian township, where he successfully cultivates a large farm and is prosperous. His father was David Smith, Jr., who settled in this section in 1832, selected a tract of land in the wilderness, and built for himself a home and name that are lasting. David Smith, Jr., was born in New York state, Oct. 30, 1812, and the estimable woman he chose for a wife was Emeline Hawley, daughter of Levi and Olive (Payne) Hawley, born in Massachusetts, June 11, 1814. The elder Smith assisted in laying-out the site for the village of Rome, and in his public career was highway commissioner, and many are the monuments existing today that were the result of his public work. His lands were acquired by direct government grant and tile price paid was but a fraction of one per cent. of the present value of the land. The remainder of his life was spent in this community, and he passed away at the advanced age of ninety-two. To him and his good wife there were born eight children : Hercelia (Every) lives in Rome; Harriet (Hawley) is deceased; Emily S. (Bates) lives at Rome Center; Florence (Knowles) is deceased;- Thaddeus is deceased; Jessie E. (Knowles) lives in Adrian; one child died in infancy;- and William II. is the subject of this review. The last named was educated at the district schools of his native township, at Raisin Valley Seminary, and later at Adrian College. In his eighteenth year he enlisted in the Union army, in Company A, Seventeenth Michigan infantry, and fought through the war till its close. Part of that time he was on the staff of General Wilcox, but his service was in the ranks the greater portion of his army life. Although his company and regiment were in nearly every important engagement of his brigade, our subject escaped with but one wound of any seriousness-this wound received at Spottsylvania Courthouse-confining him to the hospital for two weeks. At the close of the war he returned to Michigan and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits. His farm is tilled with great care and is very productive. In politics, Mr. Smith is a member of the Democratic party and is faithful to the tenets of that party's platform. Shortly -after his return from army service, he was married to Miss Elizabeth Wood, daughter of William and Adeline (Decker) Wood, of Rome township. Their wedding date was Feb. 22, r866, and to them have been born two children, Addie and Glenwood. Addie Smith became the wife of Frank Billington and is the mother of six children: Zula, employed at Wesley's, in Adrian; Lamarr, working at the same store; Charles, at the present time employed at a grocery store in Adrian; Marjorie, attending high school; and I-Toward and Bernice, in school-all these children living at home with their parents in Adrian. Glenwood Smith was married to Miss Bernice Lewis and resides in Rome township_ To him and wife one child, Woodland Smith, has been born. Hobart H. Greenleaf, an influential farmer of Woodstock township, is a native of this county, having been born Aug. 25. 1845, in the township of Cambridge, a son of William and Eveline (Daniels) Greenleaf, natives of the Empire State. The father was born Dec. 24, 1822, and received his schooling in his native state. In 1836 he migrated westward to this state and located in the township of Cambridge, this county, where for about twenty years he was engaged in the sawmill business. He passed away April 14, 1857. His wife, the mother of Hobart Greenleaf, first beheld the light of day, Aug. 17, 1825, was reared and educated in her native state and with her parents came to Lenawee county-iii her girlhood. Here she became acquainted with and wedded William A. Greenleaf, Nov. 14, 1844. She passed to the Great Unknown, May 24, 1856, the mother of two children : Hobart H., of this sketch; and Emma, widow of Iliram Pierce, and a resident of Detroit, Mich. The subject of this review received his schooling in the district schools of Rome township, this county, but was obliged to leave school at the age of eleven and go to work on his uncle's farm. On Dec. 22, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company B, Ninth Michigan cavalry. This regiment was organized at Coldwater, Mich., and was mustered into the service, May 1g, 1863, It left the state by detachments, on May 18, 20 and 25, being ordered to Covington, Ky. Soon after arriving in Kentucky it participated in engagements at Triplett's Bridge, Lebanon, Salvisa, Cummings' Ferry, Buffington Island and Salineville. The regiment was then ordered to Tennessee and became engaged at Loudoun, Cumberland Gap, Carter's Station, Zollicoffer and Leesburg. At Cumberland Gap it took the advance, burned a large mill, drove the enemy from his mountain stronghold, and played an important role in the capture of 2,600 men and thirteen pieces of artillery. During the latter part of 1863 and the first half of 1864 it was in many bitter engagements, and in November, 1864, was with Sherman before Atlanta, Ga. At Waynesboro it charged Wheeler's command, driving it from the field and capturing ioo prisoners, for which it received special notice. Mr. Greenleaf was taken prisoner, March 10, 1865, near Fayetteville, Fayette county, Georgia, and was paroled on March 30 of that year. The regiment wag mustered from the service, July 9, 1865. Its original strength was 1,073, its total enlistment was 2,057, and its loss '.by death was 181. After returning from the war, Mr. Greenleaf went into the sawmill business at Rome Center and followed that vocation. for twenty-five years. He then disposed of this mill and moved upon his farm of 16o acres in sections 29 and 30, in Woodstock township, where he continued to reside until his retirement in 1908. Having turned the farm over to his sons, he then moved to Addison, where he enjoys a pleasant home. - In politics be is an enthusiastic adherent of the Republican party and represented the township of Woodstock on the Lenawee county board for one term. In matters pertaining to religion he holds extremely liberal views and is not affiliated with any particular congregation or denomination. Fraternally he is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Lodge No. 157, Free and Accepted Masons, of Addison, and the Royal Arch Chapter, No. 99, of Hudson. Mr. and Mrs. Greenleaf are both members of the Order of the Eastern Star, and he also belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic. On Nov. 22, 1868, he was united in holy matrimony to Miss Della Cooper, daughter of Haggai and Sarah (Clark) Cooper, of Monroe county. Of this happy union three children have been born: Luella May, deceased, was the wife of Oliver P. Gunn and a resident of Somerset, Hillsdale county; William R., the husband of Clara Root, resides on his father's farm; and Frank L., who lives on a farm owned by his father, is -wedded to Maud 'Harris, and is the father of one daughter-Marian, born June 14, 1903. Fred Rowlson, an industrious and prosperous farmer of Woodstock, has passed his entire career in that township, where he is universally held in high esteem. He first beheld the light of day on the old Rowlson homestead there, Oct. 1o, i86o, and is a son of Chauncey and Charlotte (Norton) Rowlson, the former a native of Plattsburg, Clinton county, New York, and the latter of the Green Mountain State. Chauncey Rowlson was born in 1807, and received his educational training in the common schools of his native state. He migrated to the Wolverine State between 183o and 184o and though a cloth manufacturer by trade, which occupation he pursued during the greater portion of his days in the Empire State, he purchased a tract of land in Woodstock township immediately upon his arrival in Michigan, and successfully followed agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his career. When he came west, this section of the country teas little more than a wilderness waste and his land was covered with the native timber, but through hard work he reclaimed many of his 'acres to cultivation. The first buildings erected by. him were of the primitive type, later being replaced with better ones, and finally the latter gave way to the modern structures, which add. greatly to the value and attractiveness of the well cultivated farmstead. He was ever a progressive and public-spirited citizen, though he did not cherish ambition for public office. His beloved wife, the mother of the sub-ject of this sketch, was born Oct. 24, r818, and migrated west to .this state in company with her parents in an early day, and here she married Mr. Rowlson, in 1842. In 1898, at the, ripe age of eighty years, she went to her reward, loved and respected by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. Fred Rowlson, to whom this review is dedicated, was reared on the home farm and at an early age commenced to contribute his quota to its work, in the meanwhile availing himself of the educational advantages afforded in the local schools. Accordingly'he was reared to the sturdy discipline of farm life and has been continuously identified with agricultural pursuits from his youth to the present day. He has also owned and operated a threshing outfit for ten years. In politics he renders allegiance to the Republican party, and though a loyal member of this political organization he has ever held the common good of his community above the interests of the party. He has never aspired to public office. In religious matters he entertains liberal views and does not render allegiance to any church or denomination in particular. In December. 1882, he was united in holy wedlock to Aurilla Rose, daughter of John and Jane (Post) Rose, to which union have been born six children: Mabel, Hazel, Chauncey, Harry, Hattie and Mervin. Mabel resides in Rollin township, this county, the wife of Clarence Ferris, and is the mother of two children-Vincent and Marion. Hazel is the wife of Lester Demming, of Meadville, Pa. The other children of Mr. and Mrs. Rowlson live at the parental home and they all, with the exception of Hazel, are attending district school. Arthur F. Wood, an enterprising and successful farmer of the township of Woodstock, was born in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, Michigan, April 14, 1859, a son of James D. and Flora (Wooster) Wood, natives of the Empire State. The father was born March 17, 1836, came west with his parents when only thirteen years of age and settled in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, where he learned the carpenter trade, which he pursued for many years. He passed away March 12, 1904, aged sixty-eight years. Ten children were born to Mr. and Mrs. James D. Wood Frederick G., now a resident of Ogemaw county, Michigan; John J., deceased, a resident of Minneapolis, Minn., prior to his death; Abbie, who passed away at the age of five years; Stella, who expired when but three years old; Fannie Gertrude, now living in Ogemaw county, this state, the wife of Homer Oyster; Mary C.,'at the present time living in Newberry, Luce county, Michigan, married to Frank Seymour; James Ira, also a resident of Ogemaw county; two children who died in early infancy, and Arthur F., of this review. The last named received his educational training in the district schools of Rollin township, this county. Farming has always been his chief occupation and he moved onto the place where he now resides in 1goo, though he did not purchase it until 19o2. Politically he. is allied with the Republican party, and though he is an active member of this political organization he has never sought public office. He is liberal in his views regarding religious questions and is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. On April 14, 1881, he was united in holy wedlock to Miss Alice M. Gunn, daughter of Isaac C. and Mary (-Wedge) Gunn, of whom both are deceased and were for many years residents of the village of Addison, Lenawee county. Mrs. Arthur F. Wood was born July 7, 1857, on the farm now owned and conducted by her husband, and she was one of a family of ten children. Mr. and Mrs. Wood are the parents of two children Zoa, born in 1883; and Frank E., born Aug. 19, 1884, both of whom reside at home. George Williston Tenney, one of the representative farmers of Woodstock, is a native of that township, and has passed his entire life in Lenawee county, where he is held in high esteem. He was born Sept. 8, 1850, and is a son of Solomon B. and Hanna Ann (Brotherton) Tenney, the former of whom was a native of the Empire State and the latter of Ohio. The father was born Oct. 6, 1826, in Yates county, New York, and was educated in his native state. He came directly to Woodstock township in an early day and settled on 12o acres of government land, which comprises the farm upon which the subject of this review resides today. He was ever a hard-working, enterprising and thrifty tiller of the soil, was modest and unassuming in demeanor and enjoyed the confidence and respect of the entire community in which he resided for many years. He reclaimed the greater portion of, his land to cultivation and made improvements of a permanent nature. He was ever a loyal and public-spirited citizen, though he never sought, public office, being a firm believer in the principle that the office should "seek the man" rather than the man the office. On June 9, 1886, he passed to his own reward, aged fifty-nine years, eight months and three days, leaving the record of a well spent life which the youth of this and other lands would do well to emulate. The mother of George W. Tenney was born Oct. 19, 1830, in Miami county, Ohio, and with her parents migrated, many years ago, to Lenawee county, where she became acquainted with and married Mr. Tenney. She died Oct. 27, 1869, the mother of five children : Algernon, born March 25, 1848, died Jan. 8, 1873, and for many years was a resident of Moscow, Hillsdale county; Jasper, born June 5, 1849, is engaged in farming at North Adams, Hills= dale county; Roosevelt, born Sept. 9, 1852, is a dealer in general merchandise in the township of Boon, Wexford county, this state; Dexter, born Oct. 21, 1864, is a farmer in Pulaski, Jackson county, Michigan; and George W. is the subject of this review, Some years after the death_ of his first wife Solomon B. Tenney was united in marriage to Mrs. Julia(Brink) Briggs, who was born in Gilford, Winnebago county, Illinois, Oct. 12, 1840, daughter of John and Thankful (Campbell) Brink, of that place, where her father was a farmer at the time of her marriage to Mr. Tenney. She was the widow of Albert Briggs, and of her first union one child was born -Cora, who is now Mrs. James Wheaton, of Woodstock township. Of this marital union of Solomon B. and Julia (Brink) Tenney, four children were born : Frank, born Aug. 1o, 1867, is a farmer in Edmore, Montcalm county, Michigan; Floyd, deceased, was born Dec. T6, 1874, and was a resident of Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, prior to his demise, Feb. 16, 19o5; Fred- L., born Feb. '4, 1873, is a farmer and makes his home in Woodstock township ; and Flora T., born July 24, 1878, resides at the home of the subject of this record. The beloved mother of these children passed to the Great Beyond, April 6, 1gog, admired and respected by all who knew her. George W. Tenney, to whom this sketch is dedicated, was reared to the sturdy discipline of country life and has been continuously identified with agricultural pursuits from his youth to the present time. His educational advantages were those of the common schools of Woodstock township and he is generally recognized as a man of sound mentality, good judgement and excutive ability. On Jan. 13, 1892, he purchased the share of the other heirs and took full possession of the old homestead. For the last twenty years he has resided on and operated the place, which he maintains in a thrifty and up-to-date condition. Like his venerable sire he is public-spirited and holds the progressive welfare of his community at heart. In his political proclivities he is a staunch Republican, but has never aspired to public office, and in affairs pertaining to religion he entertains extremely liberal views, though a believer in the fundamental teaching of Christianity. Frank S. Binns, one of the substantial and prosperous farmers of .Woodstock, is a native of that township, having been born there No. i9, 1866, a son of Joseph H. and Levina -(Tuttle) Binns, both likewise natives of Lenawee county. The father first beheld the light of day in Woodstock township, Sept. 12, 1841, and the mother in Rollin township, May 30, 1844. Joseph Binns received his-education in the public schools of his native township and at an early age learned the carpenter trade, which he successfully followed up to about six years ago, when he retired from active work and has since been making his home with his son, Frank S., of this sketch. In politics he has rendered allegiance to the Republican party from the time of its organization, and though he has always been a staunch supporter of its cause he has not fostered aspirations for public office. He is of Quaker lineage, but has always been liberal in his views regarding- religion, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, Lodge No. 157, Free and Accepted Masons, of Addison. On Dec. 20, 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Levina Tuttle, daughter of David and Lucy (Wing) Tuttle, to which union was born but one child-Frank S., of this review. Mrs. Joseph Binns passed to the life eternal, April 6, 1873, aged twenty-nine years, leaving her beloved husband and son, and a wide circle of friends and acquaintances to mourn her untimely taking away. The subject of this sketch acquired his education in the graded schools in the village of Addison, this county, upon the completion of which he commenced his long and successful career as a farmer. He has won a position of independence and definite prosperity through his own efforts and has owned and conducted his present productive and well cultivated farmstead for many years, devoting his attention to general farming and stock-growing and being known as a reliable and enterprising• business man, entirely worthy of the confidence and esteem so freely accorded him. His political support is given to the cause of the "Grand Old Party," in the ranks of which he has always been active, though, like his estimable sire, he has never cherished ambition for public office, and he has always been broad-minded and liberal in his religious views. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Knights of the Macca-bees, Lodge No. 426, of Addison, and his wife is a member of the fraternal order of the Ladies of the Maccabees, Lodge No. 809, of the same place. Mr. Binns was united in holy matrimony to Miss Etta Haight, daughter of Elmer and Sophia (Smith) Haight, residents of this county for many years, the former of whom was born in 1839 and the latter, Sept. 30, 1843. Mr. and Mrs. Haight were the parents of four children: Etta, the eldest, is the wife of the subject of this record; Ray L., born April 6, 1873, is a resident of Alhion, Calhoun county, Michigan, the husband of Mary Bradley and the father of two children-Edna and IIester; Ruth, the third born of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Haight, died when but two months old, and another child passed away at the age of two weeks. The happy marital union of Mr. Binns and wife has been blessed with the birth of three children: Ray L., born June 3, 1899, and Helen P., born Nov. 28, 1900, attend school in Addison; and Russell J., the youngest, was born Aug. 3, 1905. Thomas Jackson, a well known farmer of Woodstock township, is a native of this county, having been born in the township of Rollin, April 18, i86o, son of William and Anna (Pierson) Jackson. The father was born in England, Dec. 22, 1824, and the mother, also a native of the British Isle, first beheld the light of day, July i8, of the same year. They immigrated to America in 1845, landing at Montreal, Canada, from whence they went directly to Toronto, Ontario, where the husband was employed as a farm laborer for a period of five years. In 1850, they removed to this county, locating in Rollin township, where for fourteen years William Jackson was engaged in drainage work. He then purchased a small farm of twelve acres in that township, and this he operated and continued to reside upon for twenty-four years-until his death, in 1888. He was ever thrifty and enterprising, and as a husband and father was always generous and considerate. He was ever tolerant of the desires and opinions of others, and though willing to yield in minor matters, he never compromised with that which he knew to be wrong. Thomas Jackson, to whom this review is dedicated, was reared and educated in his native township, attending the district schools 'during the fall, winter and early spring months, and working on his parents' farm throughout the long summer vacation. At the age of sixteen he left school and commenced his real work of life by hiring out by the month to neighboring farmers. He continued to work in this manner for six years, and when twenty-two years of age he commenced to work about the community as a day laborer. As he was always possessed of good common sense, frugality and foresight, he set aside his hardearned wages, instead of squandering them foolishly, and at the rather youthful age of twenty-four was able to purchase a farm of twenty acres on the banks of Devil's Lake, in the township of Rollin. He conducted and continued to reside on this place for the following nine years, and then sold it and leased the A. P. Cook place, which he operated for eleven years. In 19o4 Mr. Jackson purchased forty acres of land, situated about two miles from the village of Addison, in the township of Woodstock, and this tract he still resides on and continues to operate. In politics he is not allied with any party organization, but is a profound believer in.voting for "the best man," regardless of his political affiliations. Regarding religion he also entertains very liberal views, and although a believer in the fundamental teachings of Christianity he is not a member of any particular congregation. In 1882, Mr. Jackson was united in holy wedlock to Miss Carrie C. Clark, daughter of Thomas and Phoebe (Baker) Clark, both of whom survive and are residents of Woodstock township. The happy marital union of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson has been blessed with the birth of three children: Frank Herbert, born in 1885, married Miss Eva Carlton and resides in Rollin township; Harry Dennis, born in 1888, is living on his father's farm; and Frederick Thomas, born in 1.891, is also making his domicile with his parents. Wardel W. Sanford, for many years a prosperous and highly esteemed agriculturist of Woodstock, is a native of that township, born Jan. 7, 1837, on the old Sanford homestead. His father, Ezra Sanford, was born in Wales, Erie county, New York, and migrated to the Wolverine State in the year 1832, settling on sixty acres of land in the township of Woodstock, and this a few years-later he exchanged for another tract of 16o acres. He subsequently sold forty acres of this, and upon the remaining 12o he continued to make his home for many years. He was ever an industrious, thrifty and successful farmer, and politically he was active in Democratic circles, though never aspiring to public office. His wife, Anna (Miller) Sanford, was also a native of the Empire State. Wardel W. Sanford, of this review, acquired his educational training in the district schools of Woodstock and then worked upon hiss father's and neighboring farms until he had passed the twentysecond anniversary of his birth; when he purchased eighty acres of land, which, with the 220 acres subsequently acquired, constitutes the acreage of the farm upon which he today resides. Like- his honored sire, he also is affiliated with the Democratic party and he holds liberal views concerning religious matters. In March, 1863, he was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Stone, daughter of Francis and Amelia Stone, both deceased, who were for many years residents of Germany and who immigrated to Michigan in an early day. To this happy union have been born seven children: Edith, Mary Minerva, William, George W., Lewis, Lena and Theodore. Born in the old frontier days, when the numerous conveniences of modern life were entirely unknown to civilization, in a region then little more than a wilderness waste, Mr. Sanford, throughout his long and useful -life, has been a witness to tim marvelous growth and progress of this section of the country; and though he experienced many of the bitter trials and privations of those pioneer days he is today, at the ripe age of seventy-two years, hale and hearty, and it is to be sincerely hoped that he may be spared to his family and the community in which he resides for many years to come. Henry Muck has attained to success and prestige as a representative farmer and is the owner of a productive and well improved farmstead in the township of «Woodstock. He is a native of the Empire State, having been born in Erie county, New York, Dec. i8, 11833, son of Philip and Elizabeth (Feldner) Muck, both natives -of Germany. Philip Muck was reared in the Fatherland, received his educational training in the national schools there and at an early age learned the weaver's trade, which he assiduously followed during the remainder of his residence in the old country. Some years prior to I83o he immigrated to America, landing at New York city and coming directly to Erie county, New York, where for many years he was a successful farmer. One of the -sturdiest of representatives of the substantial and durable German race, he was ever a hard-working, conscientious and thrifty man -and a generous and indulgent husband and father. One of the kindliest and most brotherly of men, he did not permit his feelings to influence his judgment. Always tolerant of the desires and -opinions of others, and willing to yield in minor matters, he never -compromised with that which he knew to be wrong. In the Fatherland, and after becoming a resident of the United States, he rendered allegiance to the German Lutheran church, in which he was always an effective worker in the interests of the cause of the Kingdom of Righteousness. On Sept. 5, 1868, he passed to the life eternal, admired and esteemed by the entire community in which he resided. The subject of -this review was reared on the home farm and early began to contribute his quota to its work, in the -meanwhile availing himself of the advantages of the local schools. He was apprenticed in the shoemaker's trade shortly after leaving school, and this vocation he successfully followed for several years in his native state and then migrated to the Wolverine State, -coming directly to Lenawee county and locating in Woodstock township, where he continued to reside until shortly after the out-break of the Civil war, when he enlisted in the Eighth Michigan infantry, being assigned to duty in the regimental band. This -regiment was organized at Grand Rapids, this state, in August, 1861, and on Sept. 16 it went into camp at Fort Wayne, Detroit, where it was mustered into the service of the Federal government a week later. On Sept. 27 it left the state and became encamped at Meridian Hill, near Washington, D. C., on Sept. 30. It became a part of the command of Gen. T. W. Sherman, Oct. 1o, and later moved to Hilton Head by steamboat, reaching there Nov. 8, after -a sharp engagement at Port Royal, S. C., the previous day. After participating in several minor engagements the regiment encamped at Beaufort, S. C., in January, 1862, and there Mr. Muck was honorably discharged from the service in the ensuing March. Upon returning from the army he engaged in general farming in Woodstock township, which occupation he still continues to prosperously follow there. He is a man of broad and liberal views and employs much discrimination in attending to the various details of his business, and he has achieved success and prominence in his chosen field of endeavor. Ile enjoys the utmost respect of his neighbors and is widely recognized as a progressive and enterprising business man. Politically he clings to the faith of his honored parent and is a staunch supporter of the cause of the Democracy, and though he takes a profound interest in public affairs he does not aspire to political. office. Reared in the German Lutheran faith, he is an active and faithful member of the church of this denomination at Devil's Lake, this county. On May 7, r86o, Mr. Muck was united in holy wedlock to Miss Margaret Cruse, daughter of Jacob and Margaret (Hennick) Cruse, who resided in Brooklyn, Jackson county, Michigan, for many years prior to their deaths. Mr. and Mrs. Muck have two children: Ellis A., married to W. G. Wood, is the mother of one child-Lela--and they reside at the parental home; Julius E. is the husband of Blanche Chase, and they have three children-Ethel, Eber and Carlton W. Manson Carpenter, for many years a prominent and influential agriculturist of the township of Woodstock, ex-member of the Lenawee county board of supervisors and of the state legislature, is a native of the Empire State, born Oct. 2, 1830, in Greenfield township, Saratoga county, New York, son of Josiah and Nancy (Harkness) Carpenter. The father first beheld the light of day in the state of Massachusetts, NOV. 2, 18oi, and in early life took up his residence in New York, from which state, in June, 1836, he carne to Michigan and located zoo acres of land. He then returned to the state of New York, and in the fall of the same year again came to Michigan, arriving in Adrian, Oct. 2. At that time Adrian was not as large as the village of Addison is today. Josiah Carpenter drove through from Saratoga county, New York, with a team of horses, and he stopped about a week near the old site of Raisin Valley Seminary, with David Harkness, father of Richard Harkness, both of whom were ministers in the Friends church. \MIr. Carpenter traded his team of horses for two yokes of cattle, which he used on his farm for fifteen years, and with which he made his trips to Adrian. He was among the first settlers in the vicinity of Devil's Lake, and he located on and commenced to clear his land of its timber and undergrowth. Here he continued to reside for many years, and he was ever an exceedingly industrious, thrifty and enterprising man. In the days of the old Whig party he was ever a loyal and enthusiastic adherent of that political organization, but when it had passed from existence he joined its successor-the Republican party-as a member of which he was always an effective worker, and though he did not cherish aspirations for public office he at various times was the incumbent of the different school offices in the district in which he resided. Though for many years he was afflicted with ague and hay-fever, he lived to the ripe age of eighty-six years, passing away in 1887, in Whiteford township, Monroe county, Michigan. His wife, the mother of ~Manson Carpenter, was born in New York about 1796, and passed to the Great Unknown, Oct. 1, 1851. The subject of this sketch received his educational training in the district schools of Woodstock township and at the Raisin Valley Seminary, which in those early days was one of the most important educational institutions in this section of the commonwealth. Having been reared on a farm in those early pioneer days, when hardship and privation prevailed on every side andd the various conveniences of modern farm life were entirely unknown to civilization, Mr. Carpenter learned at a tender age the rigorous lessons of hard work and self-dependence, and at the same time he acquired an intimate knowledge of agricultural ptirsuits. Farming has continued to be his chief occupation to this day, though he taught twenty-two terms of school in his younger days. Today he owns a farm of 187 acres in sections 25 and 36, in the township of Woodstock, near Devil's Lake. In politics he has been a loyal member of the Republican party from the birth of that organization to the present day, and he has held the following offices: school director and moderator; highway commissioner, for three years; township supervisor for two years, and for the same length of time was a member of the house of representatives in the legislature of the state of Michigan, and he was state senator from his district from 1885 to 1887. In 1861 he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Eliza Johnson, daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Donaldson) Johnson, deceased, who for many years were residents of Rome township, this county. Mrs. Carpenter was born in Genesee county, New York, Aug. 22, 1828, and with her parents came to Michigan in 1836, when but eight years of age, settling in Rome township, where she continued to reside up to the time of her marriage. On Jan. Io, 19o5, after a protracted illness, she passed away. She was ever a kind, considerate and dutiful wife and mother, and was always tolerant of the desires and opinions of others. There is a place which will never be filled by another in the hearts of many in the community in which she lived for so many years, and many a wife and mother will do their work more faithfully and conscientiously because of the influence of her life. Since her death Mr. Carpenter has made his home with his son in Allegan during the winter season and on the farm and at the lake cottage in 'the summer season. But one child, John J. Carpenter, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter. John J. Carpenter was born June 3, 1865. He remained on the farm until he was twenty-one years -old, attending the district schools and the Addison High School, after which he attended one term in Hillsdale College. He then went to South Dakota, where he engaged at farming and in the merchandise business for about two years. At the end of that time he became discouraged with business in the Northwest, and his father having procured for him a position in the railway mail service, he was assigned the run from Jamestown, N. D., to Oaks, S. D., and this position he held for about six months. He was then promoted to a run on the main line of the Northern Pacific from Jamestown to Niles, Mont. He held this position until he was transferred at his own request to the service in Michigan, in order to be near his home. He is now in the service on a run between Allegan and Adrian, with Allegan as his home, and there he has built a modern residence and -is educating his children. He also has a cottage at Devil's Lake, where his family spends the vacation season. In this cottage he has the old wooden clock which was purchased by his grandfather, in 1837, -and which is a valued keepsake. John J. Carpenter is married to Miss Bessie Flanders; by whom he is the father of two children-Manson C., born Dec. 29, 1892, and Ruth M., horn Feb. 21, 1898.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com