History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 118



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Guy M. Claflin, M. D., one of the prominent physicians of Adrian, was born in Hancock, Addison county, Vermont, Jan. 28, 11874, son of Leroy and Etta Alice (Yale) Claflin. Five generations of Clafllins were born in Hancock, and the grandfather, Robert Claflin, represented his district in the state legislature of Vermont. The father, who was a carpenter and contractor by vocation, died in Southington, Conn., when the Doctor was but a year and a half old. The mother is a descendant of one of the three Yale brothers, after one of whom, Elihu, Yale University was named. One of the later ancestors, also, was a captain in the Continental army.during the War of the Revolution. About twenty-six years ago the mother came west with her only son to Deerfield, where she lived for a few months, but later removed to Adrian, April r, 1882. For ten years she was a teacher in the Adrian public schools, and in November, 1894, was united in marriage to A. B. Bangs, a farmer of Raisin township, where she now resides. Dr. Claflin received his early education in the public schools of Adrian and graduated at the high school in the class of 1892. For three years he was a student at Adrian College and his professional training was received in the medical department of the University of Michigan-, which he attended two years-and the Detroit College of Medicine, and in 1904 he graduated at the latter institution with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Since that time he has been in the active practice of his profession in Adrian and has met with exceptional success. Dr. Claflin has been a prominent member of the Michigan National Guard, and recently, when he received an honorable discharge, it was as first lieutenant, after nine years of service. He entered the Spanish-American war as a corporal in the Thirtyfirst Michigan volunteer infantry, and when he was mustered out at the end of thirteen months' service he was second lieutenant of his company. In his political relations Dr. Claflin is a stanch Republican, and from 1905 to 1907 he served as city physician and health officer. Fraternally he is associated with the Blue lodge of the Masonic order in Adrian, and with his wife he is affiliated with the Methodist Protestant church. Dr. Claflin has a fine office in the new Lenawee County Bank building and his home is at 22 South Scott street. On June 15, 1905, was solemnized Dr. Claflin's marriage to Miss Anna M. Owens, a daughter of Rev. and Mrs. Asa Owens, of Mount Blanchard, Ohio. Mr. Owens is a retired minister of the Methodist Protestant church. His daughter graduated at the Mount Blanchard High School in the class of 1892 and four years later completed the course at Adrian College.



Dr. Carlton L. Norton, who has the distinction of being the oldest practitioner of dentistry in Adrian, was born in Bronson, Branch county, Michigan, Oct. 12, 1870. He is the son of Sequester R. and Harriet (Ford) Norton, both natives of the Empire State, where they were married. They came to Michigan before the outbreak of the Civil war and during that struggle the father served as second lieutenant in Company G of the Eighteenth Michigan infantry. When the father came to Adrian from Bronson he engaged in his vocation of photography in partnership with a brother-in-law, Frank P. Ford, but later was manager for different periods for two of the leading grocery establishments of the city. His demise occurred Jan. 12, 1886, and his widow is now a resident of the city, living at the home at 22 West Church street. Three sons were born to the parents, of whom the eldest, Frank W., is connected with the Armour Packing Company, of Chicago. Dr. Norton received his primary education in the Adrian schools and his professional training was received in six years of practical work under the preceptorship of Dr. J. S. J,phnson. In May, 1896, he successfully took the examination submitted by the state board of dental examiners, and has since that time been most lucratively engaged in his professional work. His office is full at all times, and the only way in which one can obtain an audience with him is by appointment. In the matter of politics Dr. Norton is not allied with any of the existing parties, but exercises his right of suffrage as he thinks best for the general welfare of the community. His deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a member of the board of trustees, and in the Young Men's Christian Association, of which he is a director. On Sept. 20, 1895, Dr. Norton was united "in marriage to Miss Jennie A. Watterson, a native of Scotland and a daughter of Alexander Watterson, of Charlotte, Mich. Mrs. Norton was but three months old when she came to the United States with her parents, who located in Tecumseh. Her mother died when she was but six years old and her father now lives at Muskegon Heights. Her educational -advantages were received here, she being a member of the class of 1892 of the high school. One son has been born to Dr. and Mrs. Norton, Burl Loraine, now nearly four years of age.



Wellington J. La Fraugh is a distinctive type of the successful business men of the city of Adrian, and in the comparatively short time that has elapsed since he established his residence in the Maple City he has given ample proof of the possession of all those qualities which tend to phenomenal progress in the business world. Mr. La Fraugh was born near Toronto, Canada, July 30, 1857, the son of Stephen and Sophia (Wonch) La Fraugh, both of whom were born in the same locality, the father Oct. 16, 1819, and the mother in September, 1821. The maternal grandmother, whose maiden name was Ann Shoults, was the first white child born in the city of Toronto, that event occurring in a tent, which was the primitive habitation of the family until they removed to a more substantial and convenient structure for their abode in Scarboro, Ontario. Stephen La Fraugh learned the blacksmith trade in his youth and followed that occupation during all the years of a useful life, dying April 1, 1893, and his good wife passed away in July, 1886. They were united in marriage in 1840, and for nearly a half-century together enjoyed the quiet contentment that comes with the faithful performance of duty. Their union was blessed by the birth of eight children, of whom it is appropriate that particular mention be made in this connection. Permelia, the eldest, is the widow of William Toole and resides at Siloam, Ontario, where she occupies the position of postmistress and also conducts a general store; Maria is the wife of E. F. McGinnis, and resides in New London, Iowa; Dorothy is the widow of Lee West and her home is at Galesburg, Ill.; John Wesley, whose residence was at Scarboro, Ontario, died in April, lgo9; Mary died in infancy; Wellington J. is he whose name introduces this review; William C. is a wholesale dealer in butter and eggs at Stouffville, Ontario, where he is a member of the council and prominent in fraternal and civic societies; and Mary Elizabeth, the youngest, is the wife of George Wallace and resides at Ux bridge, Ontario. Wellington J. La Fraugh, to whom this review is more particularly dedicated, spent his boyhood days in the vicinity of his birthplace, near Toronto, Canada, and he received a limited education in the district schools, which he attended until he had reached the age of twelve years. His father having in the meantime purchased a farm, the son assisted in the cultivation of the same until he reached his majority, and he then followed farming in the capacity of foreman for three years longer. In 1884 he engaged in the stumping business, which he followed with reasonable success for a period of six years, and in November, 18go, he left his native heath to become a resident of the State of Michigan. He first located at Northville, where he engaged as an employe in a manufacturing establishment known as the Globe Works, and at the end of five years he removed to Milford, Mich., and engaged in the bakery business. He at first conducted a restaurant in connection with his bakery establishment, but his patronage increased until it assumed hotel proportions, and he_ finally closed out the bakery and gave his entire attention to te hotel business. He resided at Milford for a period of nearly six years, and on May 15, 1801, located in the city of Adrian, opening a bakery and confec-tionery place at No. 99 East Maumee street. He remained in that location but a few months, however, and in October of the same year moved into quarters more centrally and conveniently located on North Main street. He subsequently made one or two changes of location, remaining, however, in the same vicinity, and in March, 1907, moved into the building which he now occupies, at 31-33 North Main street, where he conducts one of the finest and best equipped and most conveniently arranged bakeries in the state of Michigan. He has the latest patterns of improved machinery, the ovens being the largest size of what is known as the Roberts Portable Black Diamond Ovens, and they have a capacity of io,ooo loaves every twenty-four hours. Both rooms of the double store are occupied, the bakery being in the room adjoining the sales room, and it fronts on Main street, where the interior can easily be seen by any interested person. Everything is arranged with sanitary perfection in mind and the establishment and its surroundings have received the approval,of the Pure Food Commission of Michigan. Mr. La Fraugh confines. his attention strictly to the baking business and attends to a large wholesale as well as retail trade, and he daily ships a goodly portion of the output of his ovens to other cities and villages. A little more than eight years ago the business was started in a very small way; and when compared with its present magnitude the growth seems almost marvelous. Then, Mr. La Fraugh had but one assistant in the person of his faithful wife, while now six men are given regular employment in the bakery and others are kept busy handling the product. It is such achievements as this that marks the man of worth in any community, and it exemplifies the possibilities when ability, industry and energy are combined with sobriety and integrity and a laudable ambition that reaches to the top in any calling. Mr. La Fraugh keeps in constant touch with the most advanced thought in his line of endeavor, and is a member of and a regular attendant of the meetings of the Michigan Association of Master Bakers. He also takes an interest in matters of a public nature. While usually supporting the Republican party when national issues are involved, he is decidedly independent in local matters and votes for the men and measures that he considers best fitted. He is a strong advocate of temperance, and he makes no concealment of his opposition to the liquor traffic in every form. His religious faith is expressed by membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, and fraternally he affiliates with the Masons, Odd Fellows, Foresters, Maccabees, the United Protective Legion, and the auxiliary Order of the Eastern Star. On Sept. 22, 1886, Mr. La Fraugh was married to Miss Elizabeth Nevison, of Uxbridge, Canada, and to this union there have been born four children, as follows: Cora, born July 30, 1888, died May 22, 18go; Bertha F., born Sept. 8, 1890; Lula May, July 16, 1892; Russell Robert, Aug. 1, 1894. Mrs. La Fraugh was born near Durham, England, and her parents were John, and Elizabeth (Cawthorne) Nevison, both of whom were also natives of the mother country. They migrated to Canada in 1862, and there the father followed the business of harness making. He learned this trade in England, beginning. at the age of fourteen, and for seven years he served in the capacity of an apprentice. He worked at the trade continuously until he retired, at the age of seventy six. The mother died at Petersburg, Mich, in 1886, aged sixty years, and the father died at Durand, Mich., in 1907. After the death of his first wife he was again married, and in 1889 located in Durand, where his widow now resides. To his first marriage there were born eleven children: Thomas, the eldest, is a harnessmaker at Rasthern, Canada; John J. follows the same occupation at Fenelon Falls, Canada; Stephen is a baker in Marshall, Mich.; William resides in Muskegon, Mich.; Nicholas is a baker at Northville, Mich. ; Robert died at the age of fourteen; Elizabeth is the wife of Mr. La Fraugh; Charles H. and Eleanor were twins, the former now a resident of Adrian, and the latter married John Crumby, of Romeo, Mich., and died in the fall of 1894. Alfred and Emma are-also twins, the former of whom is in the bakery business at Morenci, and the latter is the wife of L. C. Lindsay, of Monroe, Mich. The La Fraugh home is pleasantly situated at No. 72 South Main street, in the city of Adrian. Peter R. Spielman is one of the successful and popular business men of his native city of Adrian, where he conducts a finely equipped meat market, which caters to a large and representative patronage. He was born in Adrian, Aug. 28, 1866, and is a son of Peter and Gertrude (Schmidt) Spielman, both natives of Germany, where the former was born March 20, 1828, and the latter Dec. 8, 1835. Peter Spielman was reared and educated in his native land, where he remained until he had attained to the age of twentyeight years, when, in 1856, he immigrated to America, making the trip on a sailing vessel, which consumed thirty-three days on the voyage from Liverpool to New York city. Soon after his arrival he came to Michigan and took up his residence in Adrian, where he was variously employed for the first five years. About 1861 he entered the service of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad Company, in whose local machine shops he was thereafter employed until 1883, when he became associated with two of his sons in the purchase of the fine nursery farm, in section 26, Adrian township, where he has since maintained his home. The place is known as Spielman Brothers' Nursery Farm and is located just outside the corporate limits of the city of Adrian. April 12, x858, stands as the date recording the marriage of Peter Spielman and Gertrude Schmidt, and the devoted wife and mother died April 10, 1905. Of this union there were born ten children, their names in order of birth being William, Christ, John, Elizabeth, Peter R., Anna, Henry, Ameba, Frederick W. and Mary. Peter R. Spielman, fifth in order of birth, attended the public schools of Adrian until he was about thirteen years of age, and for the following six years he was employed in meat markets in Adrian. At the,age of nineteen years he became traveling representative for Spielman Brothers Adrian nursery, but.two years later he resumed his association with the meat market business, by entering the employ of Charles Hurlbert, of Adrian. Shortly afterward he became an employe in the market of Charles Hall, and a year . later, in 1890, he purchased the stock and business. He has since continued the enterprise with ever increasing success, and his market is second to none-in the city, both in equipment and effectiveness of service. He is essentially a self-made man, and he has so ordered his course as to merit and receive the confidence and esteem of all who know him. He is the owner of a most attractive modern residence, at 95 North Main street, After leaving the public schools he showed his ambition by attending night school at the Brown Business University, where he gained knowledge which well fitted him for the conducting of a business for himself. Mr. Spielman is a member of the German Lutheran church, and is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, including the Adrian Commandery, Knights Templars, and the Moslem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, in Detroit, and he also holds membership in the Knights of the Maccabees. His wife is a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church. In the city of Toledo, Ohio, Oct. 24, 1893, Mr. Spielman was united in marriage to Miss Florence M. Snedeker, who was born in Adrian, Aug. 17, 1874, and who is a daughter of Dwight and Adeline (Bogert) Snedeker, both natives of Lenawee county, where they reside at the present time and where they have passed the major portion of their lives. They were residents of Toledo at the time of their daughter's marriage, but are now living in Adrian. Hon. Fernando C. Beaman, deceased, was born in Chester, Windsor county, Vermont, June 28, 1814. He was a man widely known throughout the Northwest by reason of his public career. His parents were people in modest circumstances and with them he removed, when but five years of age, from his native state to Franklin county, New York, where he obtained the common-school education afforded by the institutions of the day. One of his classmates was the late William A. Wheeler, who afterward became vice-president of the United States. In 1836 Mr. Beaman began the study of law in the city of, Rochester, and three, years later, after having been a resident of Michigan for some months, he was admitted to practice and "hung out his shingle" in Washtenaw county, and in 1843, he was appointed prosecuting attorney of Lenawee county by Gov. John S. Barry. From that time until his demise he made Adrian his home. He pursued his law practice continuously, having for his partners some of the most eminent jurists in the state. Mr. Beaman's first election to public office came in 1856, when he was chosen probate judge of the county. He served but one term, and again in 1871 he filled the same position by appointment, the office having been made vacant by the death of his former partner and his close friend, Hon. Robert R. Beecher. In 1879 he was offered, by Gov. Charles M. Croswell, an appointment to fill the residue of the term of Zachariah Chandler, in the United States Senate, the vacancy having been occasioned by the death of- the latter, but he declined to accept. Until 1845 Judge Beaman had been identified with the Democratic party, but in that year he adopted Free-Soil principles, and in 1854 he assisted in the birth of the Republican party at Jackson, Mich. Two years later he was chosen one of the. Presidential electors on the. Republican ticket from Michigan. His course had been marked by such rare discretion and good judgment that, in 186o, he was nominated for Congress, the district at the time comprising the counties of Branch, Cass, St. Joseph, Hillsdale, Lenawee and Monroe, and the election of that year resulted in a victory for him by a majority over his Democratic opponent, Hon. S. C. Coffinhury, of 6,474. Two years later, after the re-districting of the state, he was once more elected, his opponent being Hon. E. J. Pennington, of Plymouth, Wayne county. For five terms he served in Congress from the Adrian district, and he then refused to again become a candidate, preferring to resume his law practice in Adrian. Judge Beaman's first two terms in Congress were during the years of the Civil war, a conflict in which he was vitally interested because of his inherent patriotism. His health gave way under the terrible mental strain and never after his voluntary retirement from the political arena was there a day in which he did not stiffer from the effects of his labors in those troubled years. During his Washington career he was the friend and close associate of such men as Sumner, Stevens, Washburn, Lincoln, Wilson, Chandler, Howard, and others whose efforts have brightened that dark page of the nation's history. His position on the question of reconstruction was at different times warmly commended by such statesmen as Charles Sumner, Salmon P. Chase and others. Judge Beaman was admirably equipped by nature for his duties as a lawyer and counsellor. It has been said of him that he was the peer of any attorney in the state in, presenting an argument to a jury and he never undertook to defend a case until he was thoroughly convinced of its justice. He had a thorough contempt for the arts of the pettifogger and the professional politician and was particularly interested in the. success of the younger members of his profession. On May Io, 1841, at Brockport, N. Y., was celebrated judge Beaman's marriage to Miss Mary Goodrich, a daughter of Ira and Fear (Potter) Goodrich, both natives of the Empire State. Mrs. Beaman was a lady of culture and refinement and a first cousin of Senator Thomas C. Platt, of New York. Three children were the issue of the marriage of judge Beaman and Miss Goodrich. Mary A., who died in Adrian, July I8, I9o7, became the wife of Lieut. Rienzi II. Baker, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. Edward C., born in Adrian, March 12, 1845, died July 5, of the following year. The youngest, Roscoe W., was born July 18, 1847, and died in Chicago, Aug. 31, 1877. Besides his other offices of public trust, judge Beaman served the city of Adrian as mayor and as city attorney. His demise occurred Sept. 27, 1882, and it was felt by all with whom he had come in contact that the nation, the state and the county had lost one of its most worthy citizens. Something of the hisory of Judge Beaman's ancestors will be of interest in this connection. He was a son of Joshua and Hannah (Olcott) Beaman, natives, respectively, of Lancaster, Mass., and Windsor county, Vermont. Joshua Beaman, in turn, was a direct descendant of Gamaliel Beaman, whose parents settled in Dorchester, Mass., when he was but twelve years of age. Joshua Beaman lived in Lancaster until 1787, when he was called upon to assist in putting down Shay's Rebellion. When this trouble was at an end he removed to Chester, Vt., whence, in 1818, he went to Chautauqua, N. Y., and there spent the remainder of his life, engaged in agricultural pursuits. His marriage to Miss Hannah Olcott, a daughter of Timothy and Hannah (Chandler) Olcott, was celebrated in 1791. Fourteen children were the issue of this union, of whom Fernando C. was the twelfth in order of birth and the sixth son. Hannah (O1cott) Beaman was born in 1773, and passed away in the old homestead at Chautauqua, N. Y., March 1g, 1829.



Lieut. Rienzi H. Baker, deceased, who for many years was one of the prominent and respected citizens of Adrian, was born Nov. 3, 1840, in the town of Dexter, Washtenaw county, Mich. There he resided with his parents until he was about two years of age, and then after his father's death he removed with his widowed mother to Ontario county, New York. He remained in the Empire State for some ten years, spending part of the time, however, in Michigan. In 1853 he returned to this state and located in Adrian, where at the age of fifteen years he entered the high school. When he had completed the course in that institution he matriculated at the University of Michigan as a sophomore. Before he had finished the prescribed work for a degree the dark cloud of war had dark-ened the horizon of national unity and President Lincoln had issued his call for volunteers. In the same month, April, 1861, Lieutenant Baker abandoned his studies and, enlisting as a private in Company K of the Eighteenth Michigan infantry, he shouldered a gun and marched away with the regiment, which had the unique distinction of being the first organization recruited west of the Alleghany mountains to enter Washington fully uniformed. After the first battle of Bull Run Mr. Baker was honorably discharged from the army and returned to renew his studies at Ann Arbor, and in June, 1862, he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Letters by the regents of the university. Although but twentyone years of age at the time of his graduation he felt called upon to again enter the service of his country, and in July, 1862, he again became identified with the Eighteenth Michigan, this time as a private in Company C. During the remainder of the internecine struggle he participated in all the engagements in which his command had an active part, and for a year of the time was a member of General Granger's staff. Promotions from time to time 'came as fitting tributes to his loyalty and gallantry, and when hostilities had ceased he was mustered out with his regiment, in July, 1865, as a first lieutenant. After receiving an honorable discharge from the service he returned to Adrian and engaged in the hat business for a period of three years, in which time he was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. Beaman, a daughter of Hon. F. C. Beaman, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. Two children were the issue of this union, Mary Louise and Leslie Beaman, both of whom now reside in Adrian. In 1868 Lieutenant Baker was appointed deputy collector of internal revenue for the First district of Michigan, comprising the counties of Monroe, Wayne, Lenawee and Hillsdale. This position he retained for two years and then resigned. During the same period he had been clerk in the postoffice under W. A. Whitney, and in September, 1872, he was appointed assistant postmaster in the same office. In this latter capacity he served until the early 'gos, and when he resigned it was to accept a position with the Page Woven Wire Fence Company, having direct charge of the sales in the Southern states. He rendered faithful service to the company until he was stricken with disease, which resulted in his death, March Io, igo6, after a long period of suffering. His passing came as a great grief to a large circle of friends, and probably nowhere was his loss more keenly felt than in the societies of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Blue lodge of the Masonic order, the Loyal Legion, and the Grand Army of the Republic, with all of which he was prominently identified. On July 18, 1907, his good wife joined him in the great beyond.. Lieutenant Baker's life was a striking example of the truth of the axiom that attention to the little things, scrupulous integrity and energy are certain auguries of success.



Elias Wellington Cone is an extensive coal and wood dealer in Adrian, where he has been engaged in business for a number of years, and his success has been due to those qualities of thrift and industry which have characterized his efforts since first entering upon his independent career. He is descended from a long line of American ancestors, Daniel Cone, so far as is known, being the first of the name to migrate to the shores of this country. The birthplace of this early immigrant has not been found, nor has the exact date of his birth been ascertained, but his name is mentioned in a letter written by John Winthrop, governor of the Connecticut colony, to Peter Stuyvesant, governor of New Netherlands, dated March 2, 1657. The letter has to do with-the escape of two bondmen, for whom Daniel Cone was acting as surety, and no idea of the place of residence of Mr. Cone is conveyed by the communication. The next that is known of him is in the spring of 1662, when his name appears as one of twenty-eight persons who received from the Connecticut colony a grant of land situated on both sides of the Connecticut river, about thirty miles above its mouth. A town was established there and given the name of Haddam, after Haddam, England. Daniel Cone received his allotment of four acres on the town site, on -the west side of the river, with land in the "meadow" and timbered land adjoining, in 1662, and he removed thereon the same season. Previous to this he had married Mahitable Spencer, daughter of Jared and Alice Spencer, then of Hartford, Conn. This wife died in Haddam, in 1691, and in 1692 Daniel Cone married Rebecca, widow of Richard Walkley, of the same place. He died, Oct. 24, 1706, aged eighty years. He was commissioner for his town in 1669, and held other minor offices. A few months before he died he deeded his lands on the west side of the river at Haddam to his youngest son, Caleb, who was the next in the ancestral line of the subject of this genealogical review. Caleb Cone was born in Haddam, Conn., in 1679, and was baptized in the Middletown Congregational Church, March 19, 1682, the church records reading as follows : "Caleb, the son of Daniel Coan, of Haddam, his wife a member of ye church at Lyn." On Dec. 16, 1701, Caleb Cone was married in Haddam to a lady whose given name was Elizabeth, and who died, Nov. 14, 1714, and some years later, Sept. 6, 1723, he married Elizabeth Cunningham. Caleb Cone was born, lived, and died on the same land upon which his father had made his first settlement, and he was buried within sight of the old homestead, the inscription on the head-stone reading as follows: "Here lies interred ye body of Capt. Caleb Cone, who died Sept. 28, 1743, in ye 64th Yr. of his age." He was a member of the General Court in 1731, 1732 1733, 1734, 1735, and again in 1739. He held the position of captain in the Colonial troops for a number of years, and filled other responsible positions. His eld est son, also named Caleb, who is next in the ancestral line, was born in Haddam, Conn., in September, 1702, and was baptized on Jan. 12, 1703. On Dec. 6, 1728, he was married to a lady whose given name was Hannah, but she died, Oct. 15, 1744, and in 1745 he was married to Sybil Bailey. He was a member of the Congregational church, and he died at Maromas, near Haddam, Feb. 27, 1790, aged eighty-seven years. Ozias Cone, the first born of the second Caleb Cone and his wife, Sybil Bailey, -was born in Haddam, May 8, 1747, and on May 29, 1769, was married in Middletown, to Mary Doane, who was born in Middletown and died in Paris, Oneida county, .New York, Jan. 6, 1812. Ozias Cone's patriotism and love of country was a distinguishing feature of his character, made manifest by his enlistment and long service in the Revolutionary war, the records showing that he enlisted twice and served over five years. On April i8, 1777, he enlisted in the Fifth Connecticut Line, under Philip Burr Bradley, and was in the following battles: Germantown, Oct. 4, 1777; Monmouth, June 28, 1778, and paticipated in the storming of Stony Point, July 15, 1779. He wintered at Valley Forge, 1777-78, and was mustered out in 1780. In 1781, he enlisted in the company commanded by Capt. Theodore Munson, and served to the end of the war, in 1783. In appreciation of his valuable services, on April 11, 1818, he was granted a pension. In 1798 he removed from Middletown to Paris, Oneida county, New York, being an early pioneer in that new country. He died there, March 6, 1823. Nehemiah Cone, son of Ozias and Mary (Doane) Cone, and the grandfather of him whose name introduces this review, was born in Middletown, July 12, 1794, and on May 22, 1814, was married to Lydia Stebbins, daughter of Ephraim Stebbins, of Oneida county, New York. She was born, Sept. 4, 1793, and died in Oneida county, March io, 1870. Nehemiah Cone died, Aug. 8, 1854. The father of the subject of this genealogical review was Warren Cone, the son of Nehemiah and Lydia (Stebbins) Cone, and was born in Oneida county, New York, June 6, 182o. After reaching manhood, he removed to Chesterfield, Ohio, and at the outbreak of the Civil war he enlisted as a member of Company B, Sixty-seventh Ohio infantry, was wounded in battle, and died in the hospital at Alexandria, Va., July 6, 1862. He was a brave soldier, died a soldier's death, and is buried at the National Cemetery, near Washington, his grave being numbered "66." On Feb. 20, 1845, Warren Cone was married to Charlotte Phelps, who died in 1850, the mother of three children. In 1851 he was married to Mary Ann Bishop, and to this union there were born four children-three sons and a daughter-of whom but two survive, Winfield W., of California, and Elias W., whose name introduces this review. The mother was born in 1823 and died in 1863, the year following her husband's demise. Elias W. Cone was born in Chesterfield, Ohio, May 5, 1857, and he received his education in the public schools of his birthplace and Adrian, to which city he came to make his home with his aunt after the death of his mother. For a time he was engaged in business at Watertown, S. D., and then returned to Adrian to enter the employ of the Gilliland Elec-tric Company. He remained with that concern for a period of seven years and then entered business for himself, the yards of the company being located at Dean and East Maumee streets. On Aug. 17, 1879, Mr. Cone was married at Fairfield, Lenawee county, to Miss Eliza. Jane Bachman, daughter of John and Catherine (Bear) Bachman, former residents of Lockport, N. Y., who came to Fayette, Ohio, in the early '5os, and there Mrs. Cone was born, Feb. 24, 1859. She received her education in the schools of Fayette, and is one of a family of ten children, all living. To Mr. and Mrs. Cone there were born three children-a daughter and two sons. The daughter, Emma May, was born in Watertown, S. D., Jan. 15, 1881, is now the wife of James Guest, and resides at Toledo, Ohio. The eldest son, James Wellington, was born in Chesterfield, Ohio, Sept. 8, 1882, and now resides in Minnesota. He served a term of enlistment in the Regular army, Third United States cavalry, Troop D. George Franklin was born at Chesterfield, Ohio, Nov. 20, 1885, and is now associated in business with his father at Adrian. The children were educated in the Adrian schools, and each of them later took a course in Brown's Business University. The Cone family home is pleasantly located at i6o East Church street.



Calvin G. Carey, D. V. S., a prosperous veterinary surgeon, of Adrian, was born in Bothwell, Canada, May 23, 1862, the son of Thomas and Marie (Wright) Carey. The father was born in Chip-pewa, across the lake in Canada from Buffalo, N. Y., and the mother was a native of Utica, Ohio. The former was a farmer, following that vocation all his life. Both parents have died within the past year, the father on June 20, 1go8, and the mother on Oct. 20, 1908, on the homestead near Ridgetown, Canada. Eleven children were born to the parents, eight sons and three daughters, and all but two of the sons survive. Dr. Carey received his early educational advantages in the public schools in the vicinity of his home, and then matriculated at the Ontario Veterinary College, of Toronto, in which he was graduated in 1887 with the degree of Doctor of Veterinary Surgery. The same year he came to Adrian, where his ability and skill soon won him a high rank in the community, and he has been eminently successful since. Beside his professional interests he is an extensive land owner in Canada, and holds the title to four acres within the corporate limits of the city of Adrian. Dr. Carey believes that the dominant issue in politics today is the suppression of the liquor traffic, and accordingly has allied himself with the Prohibition party in an effort to stamp out the evil, but he has never become a candidate for public honors. On Oct. 26, 1885, was solemnized, at London, Canada, Dr. Carey's marriage to Miss Eretta E. Reilly, daughter of Francis B. Reilly, of Wardsville, Canada. Mrs. Carey graduated at the Wardsville High School in 1878, at the Toronto Normal School three years later, and for four years prior to her marriage she was engaged in teaching. Seven children-six sons and a daughter-have been the issue of the marriage of Dr. and Mrs. Carey. The eldest, John Reilly, was born in St. John's, Mich., and the others-Chester Davidson, Calvin Evelyn, Francis Bell, Thomas Lake, Robert Wright, and Elizabeth Adella-were all born in Adrian. The Carey home is at No. 5, St. Joseph street.



John Rattenbury is living retired in Adrian, after a well spent life. He is a native of England, having been born in London, June 20, 1840, son of Thomas and Matilda (Ganway) Rattenburv. The parents came to America in 1848, and for many years the father was in the employ of the Pullman Car Company, at different places. At the time of his death, which occurred in Toronto, Canada, while on a business trip, he was general manager of the Detroit branch of the company. The mother is also deceased, and both parents are buried in Toronto. The subject of this review and three sisters, living, respectively, in Buffalo, N. Y., Montreal, and Toronto, are the only survivors of a family of three sons and five daughters. After finishing his scholastic training in the Detroit schools, John Rattenbury found employment as a car-painter in the shops of the Michigan Central railway, at Detroit. From there he removed to Chicago, where for forty-one continuous years he was a master painter for 'the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific railway. In 1898 he resigned his position with the railway company and removed to Madison township, where he had purchased two farms, one of 124 acres and the other of seventy acres. He remained in that township until 19o6, and then, having disposed of his holdings, he removed to his present home in Adrian, which he had purchased some years before. Besides his home he holds the title to other valuable realty in the city and is also the owner of some property in the city of Chicago. Although he gives stanch allegiance to the men and measures of the Republican party he has never sought public office. His deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the Presbyterian church, to the material welfare of which he contributes liberally. Fraternally he is allied with the Masonic Order, Knights of Pythias, and of the Eastern Star. On July 20, r86o, Mr. Rattenbury was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Shepherd, of Detroit, the daughter of Mrs. Catherine Shepherd. They have no children. Mrs. Rattenbury died July 16, I9o9, aged sixty-nine years.



Elmer E. Putnam, the genial proprietor of the Hotel Putnam, at Sand Lake,.Lenawee county, a popular summer resort, was born on a farm in Madison township, Feb. 5, 1864. He is the son of Josiah J. Putnam, who was born in Chesterfield, Vt., Dec. 20, 1828. The paternal grandparents were Silas and Martha (Jordan) Putnam, who were married in 1823, and at an early day migrated. from Vermont to Lenawee county, locating on a farm in Madison township, where the grandfather followed the occupation of farming until his death, in 1849. Josiah J. Putnam was the third child in order of birth,and was about three years of age when his parents removed to this county. He received a common-school education and remained at home until after the demise of his father, and then went to farming on his own account. Later he purchased the homestead and there resided until 1876, when he removed to Adrian to make his home. In 1882 he erected at Sand Lake a summer hotel, which he called the Lake Park House, and which was opened to the public on July 4, of that year. The structure is built upon a good stone foundation, and is three stories in height. From that time on he devoted the summer months to the management of the hotel and spent the winters in Adrian. Besides his resort property he was the owner of a farm of 238 acres in Madison township, and his residence on South Winter street, in Adrian. In October, 1858, the father married Miss Catherine TenBrook, the daughter of Garrett and Hannah (Gannon) Ten Brook. Mr. Ten Brook was born in Chemung county, New York, in 1803, his wife in Orange county, New York, and their marriage occurred in 1826. Five years later they came to Lenawee county and settled in Madison township. During the war Mr. TenBrook went south to Mississippi to nurse an adopted son, who had enlisted in the army, but he arrived too late to be of any service, and his own system became charged with malaria, to which he succumbed in j868, his wife surviving him but a few weeks: Josiah J. Putnam died on Dec. 13, 11907, and his widow still makes her home in the family residence on South Winter street. Elmer E. Putnam is the only child of his parents and received the educational advantages afforded by the public schools of Adrian, which he attended after he was twelve years of age, he having previously attended the district schools of Madison township. Since leaving school he has been engaged in the hotel business, devoting his time during the summer months to its conduct, and in the winter looking after the estate left by his father. In the matter of politics Mr. Putnam has been aligned with the Republican party ever since becoming a citizen, but he has never been an aspirant for public office. Fraternally he is prominently identified with the' Masonic order, having taken the Commandery degrees; the Knights of Pythias, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. On March 22, 1893, occurred Mr. Putnam's marriage to Miss Adelaide Huddleston, daughter of Thomas Huddleston, of Medina, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Putnam make their home in Adrian with Mr. Putnam's mother, at 68 South Winter street.



Clarence E. Holdridge, one of the progressive farmers and stock-raisers of Raisin township, is the son of Horace Holdridge, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. His preliminary education was received in the Raisin township public schools and later he attended the Tecumseh High School. Since finishing his scholastic training he has devoted himself continuously to general farming pursuits, with the exception of one year, in which he was employed by an express company in Tecumseh. Throughout the county he is known as a successful breeder of high-grade stock, and his methods of farming are along the most advanced lines. Although he has been an influence in the organization of the Democratic party in the county, he has never sought to become its candidate for any public office. In 11893 Mr. Holdridge was united in marriage to Miss Dess Chidester, a daughter of George and Celia Chidester, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Monroe county, Michigan. The father, when nineteen years of age, enlisted _as a private in the First New York battery and served throughout the Civil war. To Mr. and Mrs. Holdridge have been born two children-H. Leroy and Nelson C. Horace Holdridge, who for many years was one of the foremost figures in the political and agricultural life of Raisin township, was born in that township and passed his entire life in it. His educatonal advantages were those afforded by-the public schools of his boyhood days, and two terms in Adrian College. Throughout his lifetime he gave unswerving allegiance to the principles of Democ-racy, and as the successful candidate of that party was for fourteen continuous years the supervisor of Raisin township. In the fall of 1892 he was chosen as the representative of the First district of Lenawee county in the lower house of the state legislature, and during the session of 11843 became one of the leading members of that body. His life vocation was agriculture, and at the time of his passing he owned 118o acres of land, most of which was tinder cultivation. On Jan. x, 1862, was celebrated Mr. Holdridge's union to Miss Adeline Holloway, daughter of Edwin and Mary Anna (Seeber) Holloway. Mr. Holloway was born in New York, Nov. 4, r8xo, and his wife on March 28, 1813, and they came to Michigan after their marriage. The father and two sons served in the Union army during the Civil war-the father in the cavalry, one son, Monroe, in the Seventy-sixth Ohio infantry, and the other, Nathan S., in the Eighteenth Michigan. Another son, John S., is now a farmer in Kansas. The father died in a Confederate prison, in South Carolina. The other daughters of Mr. and Mrs. Holloway are Pauline, deceased, late wife of Josiah Gardner, of Detroit; Mary Anthony, who married James Knox and lives near Lyons, Ohio; and Eliza, the wife of Alonzo Wyman, living in Adrian. To Mr. and Mrs. Holdridge were born two children, and a sketch of Clarence E. appears elsewhere in this work. Ellen R. married A. R. Boyd and became the mother of four children: Lawrence H., who married Jennie Randall; Carroll, who married Mary Miller; Hazel, and Layton. George Cannon, a veteran farmer of the township of Deerfield, and a prominent director of the Deerfield State Bank, was born in Buckinghamshire, England, March 26, x840. His parents were Charles and Nancy (Matthews) Cannon, both of whom were natives of England. The father was a shoemaker by trade and he assiduously followed this vocation there until he immigrated to this country in 1848. His first home in this country was in the city of Adrian. There for two years he plied the "last" as a means of livelihood, and at the expiration of this period of time he moved into what is now Deerfield township and settled on a wooded tract. Here for nearly forty years he strove to clear the land of its growth of timber and his efforts were not in vain, for that which was a wilderness waste when he began his labors was soon transformed into as fertile a farm as there is in the county. He passed away, May 18, I8go, at Big Rapids, Mich, whither he had gone to visit his son, Edwin. The mother died in Deerfield township in 1878. Four children were born to this worthy pioneer couple: Edwin, .who expired at Big Rapids, Mich.; Jane (Cannon) McWilliams, who died at Pacific Grove, Cal.; James H., a wealthy real-estate dealer of Deerfield village, who died at that place, April 13, 1907; and George, the subject of this sketch. The latter received his education in the district schools of Deerfield township. After the completion of his schooling he assisted his father on the latter's place until he was thirty years of age. He thereupon purchased a small farm of his own, and after working this for two years he sold it and bought a tract of land -adjoining that of his father. At the expiration of eight years he again sold out and, moving to the village of Deerfield, he purchased the flouring mills there. For two years he successfully conducted this place of business and then he traded the mills for the spacious fertile tract which he now occupies in the township. Today he has as fine a country home as there is in the county ; the house is entirely modern in appearance as well as in the conveniences therein, and spacious and comfortable out-buildings and barns adorn the place. He is the owner of 22o acres of as fertile land as one could wish to possess. On April 30, 1875, he was hinted in marriage with Miss Janette Colvin, at Palmvra, Mich. She is the daughter of John and Dinah Colvin. The mother was born in the state of New York, and she died in Ionia county, this state, whither she and her husband had gone to reside at an early day. The father, a native of the "Emerald Isle," upon coming to the West, first settled in the township of Raisin, this county, but his residence there was of short duration and he soon moved with his family to Ionia county. The father passed away in 1901. Mrs. Cannon was born in Raisin township, this county, Sept. 7, 1855, and she received her educational training in the schools of that place. Mr. and Mrs. Cannon have been blessed with the birth of seven children: Charles J., born July 25, 1876, died Sept. 1g, 19o6; Floyd G., born Aug. 3, 1878, is a prominent farmer of Deerfield township; Lillian, born Oct. 4, 1882, is a teacher in the high school at Menominee, Mich.; Delbert E., born March 29, 1885, met an untimely death by drowning in the Raisin river at Blissfield; Mellville E., born Feb. 3, r888, is assistant cashier of the Deerfield State Bank, and lives on the old homestead; Roswell W., born July 2, 18go, and Arthur J., born Jan. 23, 1895, also resides at home. Mr. Cannon gives his support to the principles of the Republican party.



Daniel Myers, a prominent farmer of Madison township, was born in Summit county, Ohio, Nov. 25, 18.44. His father, Samuel Myers, was a native of Maryland, and his mother, Elizabeth (Rhoades) Myers, was born in Pennsylvania. They came west into Summit county, Ohio, in an early day, and there they resided upon a small piece of land. In 1851 they immigrated into Fairfield township, and here they took up a residence on an uncleared piece of timbered land. The father passed many industrious hours in improving his poverty, and it was only after years of the hardest labor that his ambition was to be realized in the completion of spacious, comfortable farm buildings. He resided there until 1884, when he received his summons to another world. The mother passed away in February, 1903. To this thrifty, hardy couple were born six children-three girls and three boys : William, residing in Madison township; Norman C., who died on the old homestead, Oct. 11, 19o5; Aurla (Myers) Alverson, living in Adrian city; Sarah (Myers) Packard, living on a farm in Madison township; Mina (Myers) Peters, residing in Napoleon, Jackson county; Charles, who expired at the youthful age of six years; and Daniel, the subject of this sketch. The last named was educated in the district schools of Fairfield, and after the completion of his education he rendered his parents much able assistance about the old homestead. At the age of nineteen he was married in the township of Madison, Aug. ig, 1863, to Miss Lydia Adams, daughter of Lewis B. and Caroline (Bailey) Adams, of that township. Both of his wife's parents were born in the state of New York, and in the old pioneer days they immigrated to the West and settled on a farm in Madison township. Here the father lived until 1882, when he passed away, and the mother died in the state of Washington in later years. For some time after his marriage Mr. Myers continued to reside with his parents on the old homestead in Fairfield. Later he leased pieces of land in the neighborhood, and he continued to till the soil of others until, in i8Si, he purchased 115 acres, situated on the line between the townships of Fairfield and Ogden. Here, for twenty-five fruitful years, he faithfully toiled, and in 1907 he bought the quarter-section on which he now resides. The papers for this transaction were drawn up by the same attorney, who, just twenty-five years before, to a day, had drawn up the papers which made secure the purchase of his first farm. His present place is situated near the west line of the township of Madison, and is well equipped with ample buildings. Mr. Myers is a breeder of horses and produced one which for four years has taken the first premium at the county fair, in the gentleman's driver class. Mr. Myers is an ardent admirer of well bred horses. His wife was born in New York state, Feb. 28, 1846, and received her educational training in the schools of Madison township. Five worthy sons and daughters have blessed their union. They are Ida (Myers) Schomp, born June 18, 1865, a resident of Toledo, Ohio, and the mother of three children-Velma, Lena and Harvey; Aura (Myers) Cheney, born June 2, 1869, also a resident of Toledo ; Harvey L., born Sept. 29, 1871, died Sept. ro, 1873; Fred R., born May II, 1878, lives at home and assists his parents on the farm; and Herman, born June 14, 1881, lives in Toledo. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. L. B. Adams, the parents of Mrs. Daniel Myers William B., residing at Richmond Beach, Wash.; Caroline (Adams) Miller, residing in the same place; Franklin, also a resident of Richmond Beach; Emeline, who passed away in Toledo, Ohio; Boardman, also a resident of Richmond Beach; and Jennie, who lives in Toledo, Ohio.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com