History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 119



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
John Cadmus, who was an extensive land owner and farmer in Lenawee county, was born in Seneca county, New York, Feb. 7, 1828, and died in this, the county of his adoption, April-4, 1908. He was the son of Abraham and Hannah (Van Vleet) Cadmus, both natives of New Jersey. The father came to Macon township about 1833 and there was engaged in farming operations during the re-mainder of his active career. John Cadnius, the subject of this review, was educated in the schools of Ridgeway and all of his life was devoted to agricultural pursuits; and a noteworthy success and excellent record was made by him. At the time of his death he owned 30o acres of finely cultivated land, as productive as any in this county, one that leads all sections of the country in fertility and producing quality. In politics he belonged to the Democratic party, but found no leisure to devote to becoming a candidate for office of a public nature, his home and family having been given his entire time. As are the surviving members of his family, Mr. Cadmus was a devout communicant of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which organization he was always a liberal contributor. In March, 1853, was celebrated Mr. Cadmus' union to Miss Charity Swick, daughter of John E. and Susan A. (Kelly) Swick, who came to Lenawee county in x833 and purchased i6o acres of land. To Mr. and Mrs. Cadmus were born nine children : Eva, who became the wife of Charles Bird, of Tecumseh, and whose death occurred Apri13, 1gog; Delia, now Mrs. Oliver Rose, of Toledo; Sidney, who married Kate Schreder, lives in Raisin township and has one sonRoy L.; Albert and Agnes remain at home; Hettie is the wife of John McIntyre, of Tecumseh, and the mother of five childrenAgnes L., Ethel M., Helen I., J. Alton, and H. Isabel; John D. is united in marriage to Mabel Wood, lives in Macon township, and has one son-Percie A.; and Sarah and Franklin are deceased. Frederick S. Tayer, one of the prominent agriculturists of Madison township, was born in that township, Oct. 17, 1872. His father, Alfonso R. Tayer, was born in Monroe county, New York, May 5, 1832, and died April 18, Igo1. The grandfather, Gersham R. Tayer, was born in Stephentown, N. Y., June 28, 1793, and when he became a youth he learned the blacksmith's trade. In 1815 he was united in marriage to Delia D. Perry, born in Rhode Island, May 1o, 1796, and the same year that he was married he established a blacksmith shop for the making of plowshares to be used in the construction of the Erie canal. In 1835 he moved from Monroe county, New York, to a farm in section 5, Madison township, and there he farmed and did odd jobs at his trade until the time of his death, which occurred Aug. 5, 1853. His widow passed away in October, 1876. The father, Alfonso R. Tayer, followed agricultural pursuits all his active career. He was domestic in his tastes and honest and honorable in all the relations of life. The father was twice married. On Sept. 1g, 186o, he married Miss Julia F. Sword, daughter of James and Ruth Sword, of Adrian, and the subject of this review was the only issue of the union. The first wife was born in Harmony, N. Y., Sept. 1, 1832, and died April 10, 1876. In January, 1877, the father married Miss Mary P. Sword, a sister of his first wife, born in Harmony, N. Y., May 16, 1837. To the second union was born, Dec. 9, 1878, a daughter-Harriet Ursula Tayer, now a stenographer in the employ of the Page Woven Wire Fence Company at Adrian. James P. Sword was born in Margate, Kent county, England, Jan. 14, 1795, and died in Adrian in April, 1878; and his wife, who was born in Vermont, Oct. 24, i8oo, died in Adrian in August, 1884. The former came to the United States about 1817 and settled in East Bloomfield, Ontario county, New York, where he learned the potter's trade, and he was there engaged in it for several years. In the fall of 1837 he came west to Michigan, and located in Rome township, Lenawee county, but subsequently, in 1839, removed to the city of Adrian. There he was actively engaged at his trade for a time, but later established the brick-yard which is now being conducted by his youngest son, E. C. Sword. As a boy Mr. Sword enlisted in the British army and participated in many of the large engagements which the army fought in those years. As a colonel in command of a regiment he participated in the Battle of Orthez, Feb. 27, 1814, in which engagement the British troops under Lord Wellington gained a decisive victory over the French, under Soult. On Oct. 28, 1821, Mr. Sword married Miss Ruth Durham, and the ten children, which were the issue of the marriage, were all born in New York. Frederick S. Tayer, to whom this review is dedicated, received his scholastic training in the Adrian schools and by two years of study in Adrian College. When he had finished that course he returned to the farm and assisted the father in the management of it until the parent's death, since which time he has had active charge of its conduct, and he now holds the title to the property. For eight years a milk route was conducted in the city, but more lately Mr. Tayer has sold the milk from his ten cows to other parties. The farm is given over to general agriculture with a specialty of sheep feeding. In the matter of politics Mr. Tayer is a stanch adherent of the principles of the Republican party, but has never sought public office of any nature. Fraternally he is allied with the Knights of Pythias and the State Grange. He is unmarried. Frank C. Beal, of Madison township, is one of the successful men whose industry as a farmer, stock-raiser and all-around man of affairs has been a very important factor in building Lenawee county up to its high standard in agriculture and prosperity. He is a native of this township, and was born June 15, 1882. While but a young man, his education has been broad and his early training was so thorough and he has made use of his advantages, that he is taking a place in the affairs of men and devoting such energy and judgment to his own affairs that he has reached a position only acquired by some men after years of constant toil. He is the son of Warren M. and Harriet N. (Moore) Beal. His father is a native of Huron county, Ohio, born Sept. II, 1850, and his mother was born in Lenawee county, Medina township, Nov. 25, 1853. Mr. Beal's paternal grandfather was Edward Beal, born in Marcellus, Onondaga county, New York, and an early settler of Dover township, this county, where he passed away, Nov. 30, 1894. He was the son of Amzi Beal, of Massachusetts stock, one of the pioneer settlers of this county, where he died Aug. 10, 1872. Warren M. Beal, father of the subject of this sketch, was brought to this county by his father in i86o, and has resided here ever since. He was educated here, follows agricultural pursuits, and in the interest of his calling and for the good of his fellow farmers he was one of the organizers and charter members of the Madison township Grange. By his marriage to Harriet M. Moore, two children were born: S. Roy, born in Madison township, Aug. 27, 1879, and Frank C., the subject of this review. The last mentioned received his first schooling in the district schools of Madison township and, after passing through the eighth grade of those schools, enrolled at the high school in Adrian and completed the full course of that institution, graduating with the class of 1902. He then attended Michigan Agricultural College for a period of two years, taking a general and special course, and finally, in 19o4, he returned home and assisted his father in the management of his various farms. He remained with his father for about two years, and at the end of that period his father moving to another of his farms, our subject was given the control of the one he is now living on, the same falling to him at the death of his mother. This farm consists of 215 acres and is all under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Beal follows a course of general farming, but is making a specialty of fine stock. At the present time he has acquired a fine flock of Hampshire sheep and it is his intention to engage in the stock business in a more extensive manner. Recently, at the Chicago stock show, he purchased two very fine ewes of that same breed. These are imported stock and will add greatly to the value of his flock. In the fall of each year, Mr. Beal goes to Chicago, where he buys a great many steers, ships them to his farm and feeds them during the winter, and in the spring he markets them in Buffalo, or at other Eastern points. He has recently acquired two fine brood mares of Percheron stock, and he is a firm believer that pedigree and blood in stock are essential, whether raised for the market or for home use. He also has some interests outside of this vicinity, and at the present time is part owner of an orange grove in Cuba. Politically, Mr. Beal is a member of the Republican party. On June 14, 1905, he was united in marriage to Miss Bertha Irene Graham, daughter of Albert B. and Clementina (Thompson) Graham. His wife's parents are natives of Michigan, the father born in Madison town-ship, this county, Jan. 3, 1856, and the mother in Ingham county, July 1, 1854. They follow farming and reside in Madison township. They have two children, of whom the wife of our subject is the elder, and their other daughter is Florence Adelaide, who was born June 16, 18go, and graduated with the class of 1908 in the Adrian High School. Mrs. Beal was born Sept. ig, 1882, and attended the district schools of Madison township through the eighth grade. She then attended the high school at Adrian and graduated in the same class with Mr. Beal, in I9o2. She then enrolled at the Michigan Agricultural College for a period of two and one-half years, and prior to her marriage taught school for two years. One child has been born to them-ferry Moore Beal, born June 30, 19o7, and died Dec. 21, 1907. Mr. Beal is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias, Lodge No. 39, Adrian, and both he and his wife are members of the Madison Grange. Mrs. Beal is also a member. of the Pythian Sisters, Adrian Temple, No. 26. Jerome Pullman, a pioneer resident of Lenawee county and a prosperous farmer in Madison township, was born in Blissfield township, Oct. 1g, 1840. He is a son of Henry and Caroline M. (Woodruff) Pullman, both born in Steuben County, New York, the former in 1812 and the latter in 1816. The father came to Blissfield township early in its history and with a partner established a saw mill near what is now known as Wellsville. The lumber which was turned out in the mill was hauled to Adrian by a team of horses on the Erie & Kalamazoo railroad. This business occupied the father for three years, and then he engaged in farming and was thus employed at the time of his death, in 1845, a year after his wife's demise. Jerome Pullman's educational advantages were limited to the district schools of the county, and when he had completed this training he worked in various occupations for a number of years. In 1862 he went to Grant county, Wisconsin, and there remained for a period of three years. On his return he purchased a farm in Ridgeway township, and was successfully engaged in its conduct until 1905. In that year he purchased the farm he is now on, located in Madison township, about two miles from the city of Adrian. In religious matters Mr. Pullman is affiliated with the Baptist church, and fraternally he is prominent in the State Grange. In 1862, in Grant county, Wisconsin, Mr. Pullman was united in marriage to Miss Oliva Johnson, a native of New York, and a daughter of ~ W. M. and Sally Johnson. Three children were born to this union: Harry J.; Hervey C., a railway postal clerk living in Cleveland, Ohio; and Chester, who died at the age of thirteen years. The eldest son, Harry J., born July 25, 1864, is on the farm with his father. On June 18, 18go, he married Miss Millie E. Tayer, born in Adrian, Dec. 3, 1865, daughter of Edward and Frances Tayer, and two children have been born to them: Donald J., born Aug. 14, 1894, and Mary F., born Oct. 8, 1go4. Since the death of his wife, which occurred Sept. 21, 1899, Mr. Pullman has made his home with his eldest son. Irving A. Hood, who has been engaged in agricultural pursuits in various states of the Union, is a native of Lenawee county and was born in Adrian township, March 24, 1848. His father and mother, James B. and Lorisa (Knowles) Hood, were natives of the state of New York, the father having been born in Seneca county, Sept. 25, 1825, and his 'mother, July 11, 1828. Both of them have passed away, his father's death occurring Sept. 3, 1889, and the mother died, Dec. 29, 1905. James B. Hood came to Michigan in 1843 and located in Rome township. He remained in that locality for six years, and then moved into Adrian township, where he resided for a short period, and he then returned to the place he first made his home on arriving in the state. Not exactly satisfied with this location, he remained there but a short time and then removed into Madison township, where he established a permanent home and spent the remainder of his life. He was a good citizen, and as a husband and father was unexcelled. To him and his wife were born six children, of whom Irving A., the subject of this review is the eldest. The other children were: Robert A., who was born Nov. 11, 1849, and is residing in the city of Adrian; Margarete A. (Hoag), who was born Nov. 8, 1851, and died in New York state in 18go; Charles 0., born Sept. 30, 1854, is now following an agricultural calling in Madison township ; Josephine, born March 27, 1856, lived but three years ; and Clara A. (Isleman) born July 27, 1863, is living in the city of Adrian. Irving A. Hood received his early education in the district schools of his native township, and after his school days were completed he worked on -his father's farm till his twenty-eighth year. Feeling the same call for the West that had come to his father in New York state, he then left this county and located in Minnesota, where he remained for eight years. The climate proving too vigorous for him, his health became impaired and he found it necessary to move into a milder zone, and the next eight years were spent in Southern Kansas. From there he moved into Oklahoma and remained there till 1905, when he returned to Michigan and bought the farm where he now resides. He is located about two and one-half miles from the city of Adrian and engages in the poultry business quite extensively. He also follows a line of general farming, but his chief attention is given to the other lines. On Feb. 6, 1879, he was united in marriage to Mary E. Van Doren, daughter of Abram and Susan (Force) Van Doren, of the city of Adrian. Mrs. Hood was born in Fairfield township, April 6, r85o, and received her education in the schools of that vicinity. To her and her husband have been born six children: Maud A., the eldest, was horn Sept. i, r88i, and her unfortunate death by drowning in Oklahoma has been one of the great sorrows of both parents' lives. This unfortunate and untimely death occurred in May, 1902, just at the time when the daughter was at the dawn of womanhood, and when her many virtues gave promise of a noble life. The other children are John J., born Feb. 2, 11884; Bertha D. (Scott), born July 14, 1885; Perry C., born Feb. 26, 1887; Lydia Bell, born Nov. 28, 1889; and Willie C., born June 27, 18g1. Both Mr. and Mrs. Hood are members of the Christian church. John J. Pickford, who is descended from sturdy English stock and is a prominent and prosperous farmer of Madison township, was born in Adrian township, Oct. 14, 1855. His parents were James and Harriet (Pope) Pickford, both natives of England, and they came to this country in 1852. His father was born in 1823, and died Dec. 22, 1893, being survived by his wife, who was born July 3, 1825. Their first location, after arriving in this county, was in Adrian township, and they continued there on a farm for five years. They then moved into Dover township, and continued there for three years, when they removed into Rome township and bought forty acres, which became a permanent home, and it was there that James spent the residue of his days. He kept adding to this original tract until at his death he was the owner of 470 acres. He was considered the grand old man of his neighborhood, and to make his acquaintance was synonymous to making a new friend. When he died he had the respect of his entire community and his loss has been greatly felt by all who had the privilege of his life-time companionship. His wife is now living on the old homestead, and their oldest son, Charles, has the management of the farm. To them were born seven children: Charles, born in 1853; Charlotte (Taylor), born Feb. 2, 1857, and lives in Rome township; Albert, born May 30, 1859, died March 1, 1894; Edwin J., born in July, 1861; Mary (Hood), born Dec. 16, 1863; Florence, born July 16, 1871, and now residing with her mother; and John J., who is the subject of this sketch. John J. Pickford is the second eldest of the family and was educated in the district schools of Rome township. After his school days were completed he remained at home and worked for his father till arriving at the age of twenty-seven. At that time he came to Madison township and rented a farm on the east side. He lived there for about two years and then returned to Rome township, where he continued for a period of five more years. He then returned to Madison township and purchased the farm where he is now making his home and he has lived there continuously since 1888. He has extensively repaired all the buildings on the farm and now has them in fine condition. In 1897 he erected a fine house and is constantly adding to the improvements, both of his buildings and his land. He has instituted a fine system of drainage, and has tiled nearly all his. fields. He is engaged in the line of general farming, but makes rather a specialty of dairy farming. At the present time he has a large herd of cows and in the winter feeds and fattens stock for market. He is a member of the Madison township Grange. Mr. Pickford is a Democrat, but is not active in politics, preferring the quiet enjoyment of his home and family to the strifes and dissensions that politics and office-seeking will bring. His home is noted for its hospitality, and visitors come away with the impression of meeting a family whose greatest interest is to be useful to each other and make the home a paradise on earth. On Jan. 5, 1882, Mr. Pickford was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Beck, the daughter of Richard and Elizabeth (Moore) Beck, of Madison township. His wife's parents were of English nativity, but came to Ohio in 1835. They lived there but a short time and then removed to the city of Adrian. After living in Adrian for a time, they removed to Madison township, and it was there that their daughter, now Mrs. Pickford, was born, Jan. I, 1859, and it was also in that vicinity that she received her early education. To Mr. and Mrs. Pickford have been born six children: Edwin J., born June 12, 1883; Grover C., born Dec. 19, 1834, shortly after Grover Cleveland's first election to the presidency; Maud, born April 20, 1886; Harris A., born April 8, 1888; Harriet E., born May 9, 1895, and Florence R., born Dec. 21, 1898. Benjamin S. Allen, of Madison township, is descended from one of the pioneer families whose dauntless spirits conquered the wilderness and whose fortitude and steadfast principles for right have done so much to build up not only this community but the country in general. He was born in Seneca county, New York, Dec. 22, I823,-son of Stephen and Deborah (Sutton) Allen. His mother was a native of Romulus, Seneca county, New York, born Oct. 27, 1796, and his father was born at Morristown, Morris county, New Jersey, Dec. 21, 1795. Stephen Allen was a son of Silas Allen, born at Morristown, N. J., Feb. 5, 1770, and there he -married Esther Gardner, born in February, 1772, daughter of Henry Gardner. To Silas Allen and wife were born twelve childrenseven sons and five daughters-and Stephen, father of our subject, was the eldest of this family. In the fall of 1805, Silas Allen moved into Seneca county, New York, where he purchased a large farm and lived till his death, which occurred May 31, 1831, his wife having preceded him thirteen years, dying in October, 1818. Stephen Allen lived on -his own farm in New York state till 1836, and then, feeling the call of the new country in the West, with his family, consisting of a wife and eight children, he came to Detroit, arriving there Nov. 5, of that year. The trip from his former home was made by team, the route through Canada was chosen, and twenty- one days were required before he arrived at his destination. From Detroit he went to Ann Arbor and stopped there till the following spring, when he came to Adrian and bought a half-section of land in Madison township. This land was purchased of Norman Blake, and it was the plowshare of the elder Allen that turned the first furrows on the newly acquired farm. Of this half-section the elder Allen cleared 210 acres and brought it under a high state of cultivation. On the land cleared not a stump remains, and the natural conditions were greatly assisted by an extensive system of drainage constructed by his careful and skilled hands. He was always a man prominent in his township, and early in life espoused the antislavery cause, and it was his good fortune to be associated with such men as William Lloyd Garrison, James G. Birney, Garrett Smith and other leaders of that great movement. Although very active in politics and other public duties, he never held office of great importance, but considered his duty and honest political convictions paramount to any issues in either civil or political life. He was married Oct. Io, 1822, to Deborah Sutton, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Barlow) Sutton, prominent and prosperous farmers of Seneca county, New York, where they settled in the early days, coming into that section with all their effects in a pack-saddle. To Stephen Allen and wife were born nine children, of whom Benjamin S., of this sketch, is the eldest, the others being, in the order of birth, as follows: Mary B. (Pond), who lives in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Esther G. (Baylis), deceased; Silas L., deceased; John W., who is a prominent agriculturist in Adrian township, but gives his attention to electric lighting, in which he is extensively interested; Gilbert T.; Louise C.; Lewis T.; and Phoebe M., all of whom are deceased. Few are they in this community who can recall the early days of this settlement, and fewer still are they who have a better memory of the incidents of the pioneer days than Benjamin S. Allen. His early education was obtained in the schools of Seneca county, New York, and in the schools of the district of his adoption, and he further received a course at the Adrian High School, after which he attended Graham's School, located at Raisin Center. For a while he assisted his father on the farm and afterward went to work for the Western Union Telegraph Company, and he helped to build the first line from Detroit to Ann Arbor. This was the first line of telegraph built in this state. He then took up the line of railroading, and worked for some time as a brakeman on the Lake Shore railway, being soon promoted to the position of conductor. He continued in this last duty for a period of three years, and finally came back to the less dangerous occupation of farming and bought eighty acres of his father's farm, where he has continued to reside to the present day. In politics he is a stanch Republican and has held many public offices. He was treasurer of his township for one term, has held the office of justice of the peace for twelve years, and he has also been director of the schools for two years. Having come into this community when it was sparsely settled and the means of communication meager, it was only natural that the friends and acquaintances made at that time were bound by a strength that was lasting, and Mr. Allen has always been a good friend, a kind and helpful neighbor, and generous to the faults of others and true to himself. On March 27, 1856, in Seneca county, New York, he was married to Sarah Allen, the daughter of Isaac and Saletta (Ayers) Allen, who were natives of New Jersey, the father having been born Aug. 19, 1799, and the mother a few years later. Sarah Allen was born in Seneca county, New York, Aug. 4, 1822, and died Aug. 29, 1891. She received her early education in her native county, and for some few years prior to her marriage taught school in that vicinity. One child was born to this union, Saletta N. (Welch), her birth having occurred Sept. 28, 1858, and she died June 18, 1893. On Nov. 29, 1893, Mr. Allen was married a second time, and he chose for his wife Martha M. (Ayers), daughter of Levy and Phoebe R. (Slaght) Ayers, and a cousin of his first wife. Mrs. Martha Allen died Aug. 27, 1907. Edgar M. Sebring, a prominent farmer and citizen of Madison township, is a native of New York state, where he was born, Dec. 13, 1847. His parents, William and Syrena (Seger) Sebring, were natives of the East, his father having been born in New York state, and his mother in Connecticut. William Sebring was a cooper by trade and ran a stave factory in his native community till 1858, when he came to Michigan and settled on a farm in Ogden township, this county. This farm comprised 140 acres of land, very little of which had been cleared, and to utilize the timber found there, he erected a stave mill and continued principally at that occupation for twenty years. In 1878 he quit the mill and confined his attention to agricultural pursuits, which he followed to the time of his death, in 1goo. His wife had died seven years before and to them were born four children: Marguerite (Race), who was born in 1836; George, born in 1840; and Ermina (Corbin), born in 1852, are residents of Ogden township; and Edgar M., who was the third child, is the subject of this sketch. He received his early education in the schools of his native district in New York, and finished his schooling in the district schools of Ogden. He afterward went to work for his father on the farm and was employed _also at the stave mill, remaining there until reaching his majority. He then rented the farm of his father and continued to operate it until 19o4. He then moved to Rome township, and remained there for three years, and in the spring of 1907 he came to Madison township and purchased the farm he is now residing on. This consists of sixty acres and is located about three miles from the city of Adrian. In politics Mr. Sebring is a Republican and he held the office of constable in Ogden township for a period of twelve years, and during the term of office of Edward Ferguson, as sheriff of Lenawee county, he acted as his deputy and held that position for two years. He was married in Blissfield village, Jan. 28, 1871, to Miss Josephine Rice, daughter of Samuel and Marguerite (Sebring) Rice, both natives of New York state, who came to this community at an early day and settled in Ogden township; where they died, the father in 1886, and the mother in 1902. Mrs. Sebring was born in Ogden township, Jan. 3, 1849, and received her early education in the district schools. To Mr. and Mrs. Sebring were born eight children: Florence (Sell), born Feb. 3, 1894; Perley, born Aug. 1o, 1875; Minnie (Crockett), born Sept. 26, 1877; Maggie (Sell), born July 21, 1879; Edna, born April 24, 1883, and died June 11, 1892; Delwin, born Feb. 9, 1886, and living at home; Ethel (Sinclair), born Aug. 9, 1888; and Edgar J., who was born May 6, 1893, died Feb. Ig, 1894. Mr. Sebring is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and is connected with the Madison township Grange. Elmer R. Poucher, a prosperous farmer, of Madison township, whose beautiful country place is among that number that gives to Lenawee county its name for prosperity throughout this entire country, was born in that township, Sept. 2, 1861. His father and mother, Anthony and Margurette (Clapper) Poucher, were both born in New York state, the father, June 24, 1824, and the mother, June 26, 1826, and the latter died April 17, 1goo. Anthony Poucher followed farming and came to this section of the country in 1842, first settling on a farm, the location of which is now a part of the city of Adrian. Here he bought forty acres and after clearing it, sold and removed into Madison township, where he purchased eighty acres in section 27, and there he lived till 19o2. This newly acquired farm was greatly improved by Mr. Poucher, and buildings that were a credit to any community, were erected. His wife having died in 1goo, he sold this farm and is now living a quiet and retired life with his son, Elmer, who is the subject of this review. Although well along in his eighty-sixth year, time has dealt very kindly with him, and he is as rugged and hearty as a man in his prime. Three children were born to Anthony Poucher and wife : George S., born Dec. 23, 1850; Irving M., born May 24, 1854 and Elmer R. Our subject was the youngest son and received his education in the district schools of his native township. After finishing the prescribed courses of those institutions, he began working on his father's farm and continued there until he bought his present farm, in April, 1892. On this place he has established a home, and the fine buildings erected by him give evidence of his thrift and do great credit to a community widely celebrated for its material prosperity. He is engaged in the line of general farming, and has 140 acres of fine land. In politics Mr. Poucher is a Republican and he has held the office of school director for four years. He is a member of the Odd Fellows' Lodge No. 8, at Adrian, and is also a member of the Knights of the Maccabees Lodge No. 145, at Adrian. He belongs to the local Grange, with headquarters in Madison Center. On Nov. 18, 1884, Mr. Poucher was married to Miss Ettie M. Howell, daughter of Jared A. and Amelia S. (Brazee) Howell, of Adrian township. Both Jared Howell and wife were born in New York state, he on Nov. 5, 1820, and his wife March 27, 1829. Their families came to this section at an early date and settled in Adrian, where Mr. and Mrs. Howell were married, after which they went to Rome township to reside, and they lived there on a farm till 186o, when they located in Adrian township and continued there till the death of Jared Howell, which occurred Dec. 26, 1881. His wife survives him and is living in Adrian. Mrs. Poucher was born in Adrian township, Nov. 18, 1861, received her earliest schooling in that township, and later attended the Raisin Valley Seminary. To Mr. and Mrs. Poucher have been born four children: Leo A., who was born Oct. 20, 1889, after graduating with the class of 1907, in the Adrian High School, took up the profession of teaching, and is now principal of the Macon High School; Ralph C. was born March 31, 18go ; R. Howell, June 24, 1894, and Vera M., Feb. 13, 1897. George G. Downer, deceased, whose parents were among the earliest settlers of this county, was born in Madison township, May 10, 1831. He was the son of Cyrus and Polly (Childs) Downer, both of whom were from Perinton, N. Y. His father was born Aug. 3, 18oo, and his mother, April 1, 1805. The elder Downer was a farmer who came west in 1830 and located on the land that has been held by the Downer family for nearly eighty years. This land was acquired direct from the government, and before returning east for his family, Cyrus Downer erected a log house and prepared for bringing his family into a district which at that time was virtually a wilderness. In the spring of 1831 his family were brought to this region, but before his work was completed and the land cleared, Cyrus Downer died. His widow took up his work and with the assistance of her children, put the farm under a state of cultivation. She finished clearing sufficient of the land for her purposes, erected a substantial frame house, and before her death, in July, 1887, she saw this forest turned into productive farm land, all the result of her labors, and that of her sons. To Cyrus Downer and wife were born four children: Orin, who was born July 3, 1824, died April 11, 1849; Lorenzo, born July 23, 1826; Alfred, born on March 11, 1835, died April 16, 1836; and George is the subject of this sketch. George Downer received such education as could be had in the district schools of his day, and he spent his early years in assisting his mother in the care of her farm. He remained at home till reaching his majority, and then bought a farm of his own. He lived on this newly acquired land for seven years, and after selling that parcel, bought eighty acres one-half mile south of his mother's farm, where he lived for a period of seven or eight -years. This last tract, he then sold and bought eighty acres adjoining his mother's homestead, and he lived there for a like period, finally moving to the old homestead, which was his home until the time of his death, which occurred June 2, 1908. He saw remarkable changes in his section and the land that was wild in his youth became so productive that his township and county are object lessons to all people who are engaged in an agricultural calling. Mr. Downer was married in Madison township, Jan. 15, 1852, to Miss Louvisa Griffith, daughter of Abner Griffith. To this union were born two children: Anson, who is a farmer and resides in Dover township, and Cyrus, who makes his home in the West. His wife died Sept. 28, 1865, and Mr. Downer was then married to Marv Colvin Spencer, of Adrian, who died in 1884. On June 11, 1885, he was married to Miss Emma Bowers, daughter of August and Anna (Ehlert) Bowers, both of whom were born in Germany and who came to this country in 1874, locating in Adrian, afterward moving to Palmyra, and finally acquiring a permanent home in Dover township. Mrs. Downer was born in Germany, Aug. 9, 1869, and received her education in this country, in the district schools of Dover township and the schools of the city of Adrian. Mrs. Downer is a member of the Methodist church. Since the death of her husband, she has continued her residence on the home place. Casper M. Rorick, who is one of the representative business men of the younger generation in the village of Morenci, where he is manager of the W. A. Mace real-estate and loan business, is a native son. of Lenawee county and a scion of one of the old and honored families of this section of the state. He was born in Seneca township, this county, Dec. 31, 1874, and is a son of Leroy W. and Harriet L. (Porter) Rorick, both of whom were likewise born in Seneca township, where their respective parents located in the early pioneer period. Casper Rorick, paternal grandfather of the subject of this review, was a native of New Jersey, and he came to Lenawee county, Michigan, as one of the early settlers of Seneca township, where he eventually became the owner of a landed estate of 40o acres, a very considerable portion of which he reclaimed to cultivation prior to his death, which occurred NOV. 27, 1874. His venerable widow, whose maiden name was Nancy A. Breese, now maintains her home in the village of Morenci, where she is held in reverent affection as one of the noble pioneer women of the county. Leroy W. Rorick was reared to manhood on the old homestead farm, and after duly availing himself of the advantages of the common schools of Seneca township he continued his studies for some time in Medina Academy. He continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits for many years after initiating his independent career, but in the late '8os he removed from his farm to Fayette, Fulton county, Ohio, which lies contiguous to Lenawee county, Michigan, and was there engaged in the livery business for a period of nine years. He then disposed of his various interests in Fayette and took up his residence in the village of Morenci. A few months later he returned to his farm in Seneca township, where he has since lived virtually retired and where he is enjoying the reward of former years of toil and endeavor. He is well known and highly esteemed in this county and while he has never been an aspirant for public office he has given a zealous support to the cause of the Democratic party. He is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. Of the two children, the subject of this sketch is the younger, and the older child, Nellie, is now the wife of Dr. William D. Murphy, who is engaged in the practice of his profession in the city of Columbus, Ohio, and who is recognized as a physician and stirgeon of marked ability. He was graduated in Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, and after his graduation began the practice of his profession in Fayette, that state, where he remained until the spring of 19o8, when he returned to the capital city of the state, where he has secured a representative clientage. He is a Republican in politics and was a member of the board of pension examiners in Fulton county, Ohio, as well as a member of the village council of Fayette. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, in which he has attained to the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite, and also is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He and his wife have three chit-. dren-Leroy, William and John. Dr. and Mrs. Murphy are members of the. Methodist Episcopal church. Casper M. Rorick, the immediate subject of this review, secured his preliminary educational training in the public schools of Seneca, and after completing the curriculum of the high school he was for some time a student in the normal school at Fayette, Ohio. After leaving school he was associated with his father in the livery business in Fayette, and about 1898 he came to Morenci, where he purchased the harness and saddlery business of Leroy S. Brener. He continued the enterprise until 1goo, when he sold the business to his father, who later sold it to William Sears. Since retiring from this enterprise the subject of this review has held the responsible position of manager of the real-estate and loan business of W. A. Mace, in which connection the farm lands controlled aggregate fully 8oo acres. In his political allegiance Mr. Rorick is found arrayed as a loyal supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, and he.served four years as township treasurer of Seneca township, and as township supervisor for one year. He is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity and the Knights of Pythias. On Nov. 30, 1897, Mr. Rorick was united in marriage to Miss Georgia L. Mace, daughter of George A. and Jennie (Starkweather) Mace, the former of whom died in 1875 and the latter is now a resident of the city of Lansing, Mich., though both were reared and educated in Lenawee county. Mr. and Mrs. Rorick have four children: Amanda, W. Kirk, Leroy Max and George M. Charles Franklin Gould is one of the younger generation of farmers of Medina township, and the success which he has achieved in life marks him as a man of more than ordinary acquirements. He was born at New Fayne, Niagara county, New York, Jan. 1g, 1873, the son of Albert and Sarah M. (Babcock) Gould, the former of whom was born in Somersetshire, England, Dec. j8, 1845, and the latter in Niagara county, New York, May 15, 1848. Albert Gould, the father, migrated to Canada with his father, James Gould, in 1849. After a time the family established a residence in the state of New York, adopting agriculture as an occupation, and there Albert Gould received his education. Although but a mere boy when the Civil war broke out, in 1865 he offered his services to the government and enlisted as a private in Company I, of the New York Mounted Rifles, and served until the close of hostilities. He continued to reside in the state of New York until Oct, a8, 1877, when he removed to Michigan and located in Hillsdale county, where he rented a farm and lived nineteen years. Then he came to Medina township, Lenawee county, and purchasd a farm of 217 acres. There he followed general farming and dairying and also raised stock until his death, Aug. 27, 1906. The wife and mother still survives and resides in the city of Hudson. They became the parents of six children, more specifically mentioned as follows Emma is the wife of F. W. Phillips, of Hillsdale; James resides at Quincy, Mich.; Anna M. is the wife of A. U. Norris, of Hudson; Beulah B. is the wife of B. F. Bolis; Albert E., and Charles F., who is the immediate subject of this review. Charles F. Gould received his education in the public schools of Hillsdale county, and was reared to the occupation of a farmer. After reaching man's estate he continued to work for his father for a period of five years, and then branching out for himself he purchased sixty acres in Medina township, the same being a part of the family homestead. Two years later he purchased the remaining 157 acres of the homestead, and thereon he follows general farming and dairying quite extensively. The place is known as "the Albert D. Osborne farm," and has the advantages of a very fertile soil and all the modern improvements. Mr. Gould is a Republican in his political affiliations and his religious faith is expressed by membership in the Congregational church. Fraternally he is a member of the Maccabees and the Grange. On Feb. 7, 1901, occurred the marriage of Mr. Gould to Miss Mayme Gaskill, daughter of James E. and Mary (Bird) Gaskill, of Medina township, and to this union there has been born a son, Albert A., born Nov. g, 1907. The mother of Mrs. Gould is a native of England and the father was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, where he followed farming until his removal to Medina township, Lenawee county. Here he purchased a farm and continued the pursuits of agriculture for a time, but-at present he is following the trade of a decorator in Toledo, Ohio. Mr. Gaskill is a Democrat in his political views, and fraternally has membership in the order of the Maccabees.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com