History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 120



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Dr. William C. Dodge, who practiced his profession in Adrian from 1899 till the time of his death, an ardent and enthusiastic church-worker and teacher, was born in Vermont, at Hartland, Feb. 14, 1842. His parents were William C. and Martha (Farwell) Dodge, both natives of that state. The father was a 'miller by trade and also a wagon-maker and his early days were spent in Hartland. Later he disposed of his interests and located at Woodstock and was connected with the woolen mills of that place for many years, and at Woodstock he died, in 1886. To this couple were born seven children: Henry C. Dodge, who lives in Kenosha, Wis.; Frederick A., now living at Bridgewater, Vt.; William C., who is the subject of this review; Roderick L. died in infancy; James K.; Albert L.; and Susan, this last child dying at the age of three years. William C. Dodge obtained his academic training at the Chester Academy and in the schools of Burlington, and then took up the study of medicine, graduating at Jefferson College, in Philadelphia. His graduation year was 1863, and the immediately 'received an appointment as surgeon in the Union army, being stationed at Little Rock, Ark. His services were given to his country till the close of the war, and in 1871 he located in Kenosha, Wis., where he practiced for three years. His practice had been growing during his life in Kenosha and had reached the limit that the opportunity there afforded. Desiring a larger field, Dr. Dodge removed to Chicago, and locating in Ravenswood, made his home there till 1886. While practicing in the metropolis of the West, he took an active part in the establishment of the Evanston Avenue Congregational Church, and was one of its leading members. In 1886 his health becoming impaired, it was necessary to change to a warmer climate, and Dr. Dodge moved to Mount Dora, Fla., and remained in that semi-tropical state till 1899. His medical practice grew in the new home, and in addition he conducted a drug store and owned an orange grove. His Union army life had not instilled in him hatred for his former enemies, and our subject took an active interest in their affairs and prospered in their country. In 1,899, desiring to be nearer his children, he returned north, and located in Adrian, and he made this city his home till his death, Jan. 12, 1901. A medical practice was soon built up here and an active interest was taken in church work. His church duties were considerable, as he was an elder of the Presbyterian organization and superintendent of the Sunday school. When Dr. Dodge passed away his church lost a faithful member, his Sunday school a careful and painstaking teacher, and his friends lost a Christian comrade, whose every word and deed was to better his fellow men. His death occurred at Chicago, where he had gone to care for his son-in-law, who was stricken with pneumonia, and while thus engaged the Doctor contracted that disease from exposure and died one week after the death of the son-in-law. Shortly after the war, Dr. Dodge was united in marriage to Miss Mary White, daughter of Thomas and Ann White, of Philadelphia. Mrs. Dodge's father was a practicing physician in the Quaker City, but died when the daughter was but a small child, his wife having passed away in 1848. Mrs. Dodge was born NOV. 2, 1845, and to her and her husband were born four children: Clarence F., died in infancy; Alice S. died in her second year; Eloise (Birmingham), living in Chicago, is the widow of the late J. D. Birmingham, who died Jan. 5, 1901 ; and William C., who is a druggist and located at the present time in New York city. Mrs. Dodge owns her home near Adrian College in this city, and is an ardent church worker. Lyman W. Harwood, a prominent and affluent farmer of Madison township, is descended from men whose courage and strength conquered the wilderness and whose descendants have seen it blos-som into the most fertile lands on this continent. He was born in Washtenaw county, this state, May 8, 1863', and is the son of Harrison and Lydia J. (Haynes) Harwood, both of whom were horn in Michigan, the father in Pittsfield township, Washtenaw county, Aug. 6, 1840, and the mother in Livingston county, Nov. 6, 1842. Mrs. Ilarwood's parents were Lyman and Betsey (Minor) Haynes, who were natives of New York state, and who came to this section of the country in 1842. They first located in Livingston county, and afterward removed to Shiawassee county, where they spent the residue of their lives. Harrison Harwood is the son of William W. Harwood, who was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, in 1785. William W. Harwood was married four times and Harrison was the son of his fourth wife, Polly Holden, who was born Dec. 25, 1808, and who-died. Sept. 17, 1894. The first wife of William W. Harwood was Sadie Aldrich, whom he married in 1814, and who died in 1824. His second wife, whom he married in 1825, was Abigail Albro, with whom he lived three years. On Feb. 3, 1831, three years after the death of his second wife, he, married Alma Coe, who lived till March 14, 1839. He then married Polly Holden, as above stated. From their Massachusetts home, his parents emigrated to New York and located in Masden county, and it was there that the grandfather of our subject first entered into business life. He started a distillery in 1824, but shortly afterward sold this business and came to Michigan and located on lands that are now a part of the city of Ypsilanti, where he acquired from the government eighty acres of land on the east side of the river and he lived there until 1836. While living there, he entered into a partnership with Mark Norris, built a dam on the Huron river and erected the first grist mill in Ypsilanti-in fact it was the fist mill in Washtenaw. county. In 1836 he bought a farm in Washtenaw county and upon it he spent the residue of his days, dying Nov. 8, 186o. By his last marriage there were six children: Harrison, father of the subject of our sketch; Franklin, Sidney, John, Luther and Henry (deceased). Harrison Harwood removed from Washtenaw county into Madison township, in 1870, and he has followed an agricultural calling all his life. His farm, located two miles from Adrian, is one of the most productive in this community of good farms, and no labor or expense has been spared in bringing this land up to a high state of fertility. He was married in Livingston county, July 4, 186o, to Lydia J. Haynes, and to them were born three children: Harriet J., who is the wife of L. L. Knowles, of the city of Adrian; Lyman W., subject of this sketch ; and Alice A., wife of Frank Bradish, of Madison township. Our subject received his early education at the district schools of his township and continued at home with his parents until his twenty-fifth year. In 1889 he bought a farm of loo acres in the extreme southern part of his township and has continued to live there to the present day. He has erected fine buildings, has improved his farm accordingly, and he has one of the most productive farms in his community. He keeps about twenty to thirty milch cows in his dairy and follows a line of general farming. In politics he is a Republican and has held public office, having been justice of the peace for four years and school director nine years. Mr. Harwood and his family are musicians of ability and compose that organization known as Harwood's Orchestra. He is a player of the trombone, a fine performer, and plays in the orchestra with all the skill of a professional musician. He was married Sept. 6, 1888, to.Miss Anna M. Schaeffer, daughter of W. G. and Ellen Schaeffer, of Madison township. W. G. Schaeffer was born in Seneca county, New York, and his wife was a native of Erie county, Ohio. They came to this county and located in Madison township in 1866. There they followed farming till the death of the wife, in November, 1904, when Mr. Schaeffer moved to Adrian, where he is living at the present time. To them were born• two children: Clara E. (Bradish), born Aug. 4, 1875, who resides in Dover township, and Anna M. Mrs. Harwood was born in Madison township, Feb. 1g, 1868, and received her literary education at the schools of that section. She supplemented this by a special course in music and developed such talent that, she has become a musical leader and teacher of the piano. She taught music in and about this section for many years, but gave up her scholars a year or two ago and continues to play the piano for the Harwood Orchestra. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Harwood: Lois E., born Oct. 9, I8go, whose married name is Covell, and at the present time she is living on one of her father's farms, her husband having charge of the same; Elma A., born Feb. 17, 1892, who is specializing in music, and Olive Gail,, born April i, 1896, both of whom live at home with their parents. Mr. Harwood is a member of the Odd Fellows, and the Knights of the Maccabees, and he belongs to the Fruit Ridge Grange. Mrs. Harwood is a member of the Rebekahs. Peter L. Meech, a prosperous farmer, dairyman and stockraiser, of Madison township, was born in that section, May 29, 1856. He is the son of Lorenzo D. and Clara (Robbins) Meech, who were natives of New York, having been born near Rochester. His father was born Sept. 24, 1824, and came to Michigan with his parents in 1836. Peter Meech, the paternal grandfather of our subject, was born in Scotland, came to America when a young man and settled in New York state, where he married Catherine Wells, daughter of Andrew and Lettie Wells. To them were born nine children, and their permanent home was made in this county. They located in Madison township for a time, but finally settled in Rollin township, where they spent the residue of their days: Lorenzo D. Meech was twelve years of age when he was brought to this county and he received his education in the district schools of his New York home and the schools of this section. Coming to this county when he did, he was a factor in the organization and development of its social and civil prosperity, and he always took an active and lively interest in his county's welfare. While his attention was always directed toward the. pursuit of agriculture, for nine years he was overseer of the county infirmary, and during his ad-ministration new buildings were erected. The thoroughness with which this work was done is attributed to the care and attention of Mr. Meech, and his loyalty to his office has ever been a pleasant recollection to his family and friends. He was a man of strong personality, steadfast of purpose, and any cause espoused by him had an advocate who knew not the name nor signs of defdat. His Scotch courage made him a champion in all matters in which he was a party, and he is remembered as one of the strong men of his day-a leader and a developer of character. During his life be was the owner of six farms, and at the time of his death he was holding three of them. He was a self-made man, and everything possessed by him was the result of his labor and thrift. He died at his home in Madison township, Oct. 1, 1886. His wife's parents were Thomas and Catherine (Wilson) Robbins, who were residents of this same township. To Lorenzo Meech and wife were born three children: Cynthia J. (Cunningham), born Aug. 20, 1847, resides in Madison township; Peter L. is the subject of this sketch, and Emma A., born Feb. 25, T86o, was married to John Cadoo, Dec. 3, 1883, and at the present time is residing in Madison. Mrs. Clara Meech was born in Portlandville, Otsego county, New York, Feb. 12, 1824, and died in this county, Dec. ii, 1902. Her parents were natives of New York state, who came to Michigan in 1836 and settled in this county. Mrs. Meech was one of a family of nine children. Peter L. Meech, our subject, received his education in the schools of his native state and the schools of his local township, and he began his life's work on his father's farm. All his life he has followed agriculture, but makes a specialty of raising cattle and hogs for market. He keeps about thirty milch cows, and to assist his dairy has installed a milk separator, which has a capacity of 1,000 pounds per hour. During the past year he raised for the market over one hundred hogs and a score of steers. He is a member of the Madison Grange of the Gleaners, and of Adrian Tent, No. 145, Knights of the Maccabees. He has also taken an interest in local affairs and held the office of school director for five years. On Sept. 28, 1876, in the city of Adrian, he was married to Miss Carrie Saunders, daughter of Charles F. and Mary (Navin) Saunders, early settlers of this county, who came here from New York state. To Mr. and Mrs. Meech have been born six children: Clarence D., born Dec. 10, 1878, died Oct. 5, 1880; Nora May (Knapp), born Nov. 23, 1882, is the mother of one child-Alto May Knapp Forest L., born Dec. 20, 1885; Florence Hazel, born April 1g, 1887, died June io, 1909; Floyd L., born Dec. 7, 1891; and Blanch D., born April 7, 1894. Mrs. Carrie Meech was born in the city of Adrian, April 7, 1855. Frank J. Willett, a prominent young farmer and stockman, of Madison township, was born in Henry county, Ill., Nov. 30, 1871. His parents, John L. and Jennie (Reynolds) Willett, were natives of Ohio, the father having been born in that state, Feb. 12, 1844, and the mother, March 25, 1842. John L. Willett was the son of Isaac and Susan (Persing) Willett, the former a native of Ohio, and the latter of Pennsylvania. They located in Henry county, Ill., in 1851, but have passed away. John L. Willett continued to reside in Illinois till 1873, at which time he returned to Ohio and continued there for a year. He then removed to Michigan and settled in Dover township, this county, where he purchased eighty acres of land in section 35, and has continued to make that place his home. To him and wife were born three children: Wendell D., born Oct. 22, 1877, and who is now making his home in Adrian Lloyd W., born June 13, 188o, who makes his home with his parents; and Frank J., the oldest child, is the subject of this sketch. Frank J. Willett received his earliest education in the district schools of Dover township, and later attended the normal department of Adrian College, in which school he graduated with the class of 18gi. He then taught school for two years. Not finding the work of teaching congenial, he returned home and worked with his father for six or seven years-in fact he remained at home until the time of his marriage. On Feb. 2, 1899, he was married to Miss Florence Parker, daughter of James and Julia (Carpenter) Parker, of Madison township. James Parker was a native of New Jersey, born at Vernon, Sussex County, May 29, 1844, and his wife was born in Raisin township, Oct. 29, 1852. James Parker came to Michigan with his parents in the fall of 1852-, and settled in Fairfield township on a farm. Here he resided until the outbreak of the Civil war, when he enlisted with Company E, Sixteenth Michigan. He remained with that regiment until discharged for disability, and then returned to his home to recuperate. Regaining his health, and knowing that his country needed his services, he re-enlisted this time with Company B, Twenty-fourth Michigan, and he was discharged the following spring. In 1866, he moved into Madison township and acquired the farm that has descended to his daughter, the wife of our subject. This land was greatly improved under his administration, fine buildings were erected, and the tract was extensively tiled and tilled. Here he spent his last days, his health never being robust after the war, and on Jan. 27, 1884, he passed away. He was married to Miss Sibble Jordan, in 1866, and by that union had one child, Sibble M. (Bell), born Aug. 20, 1869, and who at the present time makes her home in Mattoon, 111. His first wife died in 1870, and on Oct. 2, 1878, he was married to Miss Julia Carpenter, daughter of Stephen and Helen (Bradish) Carpenter. Stephen Carpenter was born in Vermont, and his wife, Helen (Bradish) Carpenter, in Madison township, she being the third child of white parents born in that community. Mr. Carpenter was properly named for his calling in life, as he began his career working at the carpenter and building trade. He followed this for a great many years, but late in life followed farming. He had arrived in this county in 1837 and lived in Raisin township until 1875. He then made his home in Madison township where he spent his last days, dying May 7, 1889. Helen Carpenter died Dec. 7, 1902. Mrs. Julia (Carpenter) Parker was born in Raisin township, Oct. 29, 1852, was educated at the Raisin Valley Seminary and graduated at that school in 1871. To Mr. and Mrs. Parker two children were born: James C., born June 28, 1881, died April 1g, 1882; and Florence, born July 28, 1879, is the wife of our subject. She was educated in the schools of her native township. Both Mr. and Mrs. Willett are members of the Baptist church and also members of the local Grange. Their postoffice address is Adrian, Rural Route No. 5. . Charles P. Gaumer, a prosperous farmer of Madison township, was born in Niagara county, New York, March 1o, 1837. He is the son of Charles and Ellen (Wade) Gaumer, successful farming people of Niagara county. His mother was a native of New York state, having been born in Seneca county, and his father was a native of Pennsylvania, where he lived till he was twenty-five years old. He then located in Niagara county, New York, married and spent all his days there. He died in 1886 and his wife passed away in 1891. They were the parents of seven children: Andrew J., born in New York, and died in Seneca township, in 1902; Henry J., born in New York, died in Dover township, this county, in 1892; David D., born in New York, during the active years of his life engaged in the business of handling fast horses, but at the present time he is living a quiet life near Lockport, N. Y.; Helen and Ellen are twins, the former living in Monroe county and the latter in Sheboygan county, this state; Clarissa is deceased, and Charles P. is the immediate subject of this review. The last mentioned was educated at the district schools of his native township and worked on his father's farm until nineteen years of age. With his brother, he then came to Michigan and located in Fairfield township, where his brother bought a farm, and for the next seven years our subject was employed thereon. He then started into business for himself and engaged quite extensively in buying and selling stock. He bought in this and surrounding counties, and made Albany, Buffalo, and other Eastern points his market. He followed this business for eleven years and was very successful. He then rented a farm of his father-in-law, Mr.. Servis, and operated it for a short period, but after one or two changes to other farms, he bought the one he is now occupying, and there he has lived since 1878. He has brought his farm under perfect control, and has made it highly productive. He is engaged in the line of general farming, but makes a specialty of stock-raising and feeding. On Jan. 22, 1863, he was married to Miss Ann Eliza Servis, daughter of William and Ann Servis, of Madison township. William Servis was descended from Scotch stock and was born in Scotland, Feb. 23, 1807. His wife was born in Canandaigua, N. Y., July 1o, i8o8. Both have passed away, the father's death occurring Nov. 13, 1881, and the mother's on Feb. 17, 1869. Mr. Servis came to this -country, in 1814, and first located in Canandaigua Valley, N. Y., where he continued for twenty years. He managed a truck farm for a banker named John Gregg, but in 1843 he came to Michigan and settled on a farm in Madison township. He bought his farm of a Mr. Shaffer, who had acquired the land direct from the government, and it was here that he spent the remainder of his days. Mrs. Ann Gaumer was born in Canandaigua, N. Y., May 29, 1842, and was brought into this section while in her first year. She received her education at the schools of Sand Creek village. Her death occurred April 12, 1908. No children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Gaumer, and since the death of his wife Mr. Gaumer has continued on the old farm. His farm is situated a short distance from the village of Sand Creek, from which point he gets his mail. Rufus M. Linger is a native of West Virginia and has lived in Madison township but a few years. He has, however, been very prosperous and he is enthusiastic over the advantages of this locality, expressing his lingering desire to spend the rest of his days in the county of his adoption. He was born Sept. 28, 186o, near Weston village, of the above named state, and his parents were Grandville R. and Nancy E. (Stalnaker), Linger, both natives of West Virginia, where they have spent all their lives. They are engaged in agricultural pursuits and have a large farm near Weston. They have eleven children, nearly all of whom are at home. Their names are Rufus M., Bailey S., Clinton F., Edgar B., Nancy E., Mary M., Martha M., Grandville R., Jr., Bessie, Effie Fay, and Rose. Rufus M., who is the oldest of the family, received his education in the district schools of his locality, and after his school days were com-pleted, worked for his father on the farm till he was twenty-four years old. 1-Ie then bought a farm near his. father's and lived there till 1896, when he purchased another parcel of land. This was pur-chased of his father-in-law, and our subject continued to operate these two farms for seven years. In April, 1903, he sold both farms and came to Michigan, buying a farm of 16o acres in section 28, of Madison township. This farm is located about six miles from the city of Adrian, and is of the most excellent quality for farm purposes. The Wabash and Detroit, Toledo & Ironton railways cross the southern portion of this farm, and Mr. Linger finds a market and shipping point for his grain and farm produce at Sand Creek, a small village about one and one-half miles from his home. He follows a line of general farming and has added many improvements to both land and buildings since-taking possession. On Sept. 28, 1884, at Weston, W. Va., he was married to Miss Jerusha Yoke, daughter of Elmer and Amy (Bott) Yoke, both of whom were born in West Virginia. Mrs. Linger is one of three children, the others being Albert J. Yoke, whose home is in Adrian, but whose business interests are at Fort Smith, Ark.; and Elmore, who died March 2, 1879. Mr. Yoke, the father of Mrs. Linger, was a farmer. He was killed in i86i, and on Oct. 9, 1879, his widow was married to John S. Summers, who died Nov. 26, 1908. Both Mr. and Mrs. Summers made their home with Mr. Linger, and since the death of Mr. Summers his widow continues to reside with her daughter and son-in-law. Mrs. Linger was born in West Virginia, Dec. '25, 1859, and she was educated in the district schools of the locality in which the family lived. To Mr. and Mrs. Linger were born six children: Ernest M., born June 4, 1886; Hattie May, born Feb. 5, 1888; Henrietta, born Sept. 26, 18go; Nellie A., born Oct. 4, 1893; French R., born Sept. 13, 1896; and Jessie B., born Feb. 21, 1900. Both parents are members of the Methodist church, and Mr. Linger is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Adrian Lodge No. 8, and he also belongs to the Madison township Grange. Their mail is received at Adrian and delivered over Rural Route No. 5. John E. Bennett, one of Madison township's progressive farmers, was born in that township, Sept. 16, 1874. He is the son of Edwin J. and Susan (Able) Bennett, his father being a native of Canada, born Aug. 22, 1848, and his mother was born in Ohio, March 4, 1848, her death having occurred in Adrian, Jan. 22, 1906. Edwin J. Bennett came from Canada at the age of eighteen, and for two years was employed by his uncle, who was engaged in the meat and live-stock business. He then returned to Canada, but his enthusiasm for this country was so great that his father was finally persuaded to migrate into this section and a location was made on a farm contiguous to the farm where John E. Bennett, subject of this review, is residing. Here. the grandfather spent his last days, and up to the time of the death of his parent Edwin J. Bennett had been working at various places. He then took charge of the old homestead and continued there till 1903, when he sold this farm and moved to the city of Adrian, where he now lives, on Beecher street. To him and wife were born six children: Mary (Fisher), born May 2, 1873; Annie (Powers), born Aug. 1g, 1876, is a resident of Toledo; Grace (Peffer), born Sept. 24, 1878, also resides in Toledo; Jessie (Waite), born Oct. 6, 1880, lives in Detroit; Susan, born Jan. 15, 1883, remains with her parents in Adrian, and John E. is the second child and only son. He received his education in the district schools of his native township, and after finishing school, worked for his father on the farm till his nineteenth year. He then worked by the month for different farmers till his twenty-first year, at which time he bought the place he now owns. He is engaged in celery and garden farming, and has two large green houses on his place. Here he raises radishes, lettuce, and other vegetables for the winter market, and he has made a specialty of this for thirteen years. This year he had ioo,ooo celery plants, and this is the usual output of his farm in this line. His market is Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. He also raises large numbers of melons, and this year his product will reach nearly 4,ooo. He has erected a fine home for himself and family, and has also a tenant house. His farm is carefully tilled, and in the summer is very beautiful. At the present time he is director of schools in his district. On Dec. 28, 1897, he was married to Miss Nellie Scholton, daughter of Henry and Helen Scholton, of Bear Lake, Pa. Henry Scholton and wife were both natives of Bear Lake, and there he followed the trade of blacksmith. Mrs. Bennett was born April 15, 1877, and received her education in her native town. To Mr. and Mrs. Bennett have been born six children: Alton, born May 13, 1899; Helen, born July 4, 1goo; Harold, born Feb. 9, 1902; Glen L., born March 6, 1903, died Sept. 11, 1903; Vernon, born Dec. 7, 19o4; and Nellie Mae, born Aug. 4, 1908. James F. Miller, who within the past decade, chose this county and Madison township as a permanent home, is a native of Sandusky, Ohio, where he was born July 1o, 1863, His parents, Jacob and Catherine (Steffey) Miller, were respectively natives of New York and Pennsylvania, but in 186o they settled in Sandusky county, and during the remainder of the father's life they occupied a farm in that county. Jacob Miller departed from this life in October, 189x, and shortly thereafter his widow retired from the farm to Clyde, Ohio, and is spending the remainder of her days in the peace and quiet of that village. To Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Miller were born six children, James F., subject of this review, being the eldest. The others were: Edward, who died in April, 1905; Mary (Harvey), now living in Clyde, Ohio; Calvin, who died at the age of three; and Emma and Sarah, who died in infancy. Our subject's first school days were spent at the schools of his district, but at a later period he attended the public schools of Clyde, Ohio, and finished the prescribed courses there. His first work in life was on his father's farm and there he remained till his twentythird year. At this time he chose a helpmate, rented a farm of his father, and on this place continued for five years. At the expiration of this tenancy, a tract of sixty acres of woodland was purchased in Henry county, Ohio, and there the family moved and made their home till 1903. This land was not thoroughly cleared at the time of its purchase, but at the time of its sale had been brought under a high state of cultivation and was well improved in other ways. In 1903, the Henry county farm was sold and our subject, with his family, moved into this county and purchased a farm of I6o acres in Madison township, where a permanent home has been established. This farm had been somewhat neglected, and at the time of transfer to Mr. Miller it was considerably run down, his first work was to put it in first-class shape. Where the fences had' been neglected and the boundaries between the fields were good only in sections, Mr. Miller has built fine wire fences of the latest and up-to-date pattern, and he has improved the lands in other ways with the same care. The buildings have been remodeled and repaired and the farm has been more extensively tiled and drained. There is some very fine timber on a part of this tract and all the work and improvements in and about the timber lot and the other parts of the farm have been done by Mr. Miller and his son. Their attention is principally given to general and dairy farming, and at the present time there are twenty head of cattle on the. farm, Among these are fourteen milch cows, and every facility for the dairy has been provided. Mr. Miller has been a valuable addition to a community that for some time has been pre-eminent in agriculture throughout this county, and he is one of the best exponents of thrift and perseverance that gives to this county its prominence. Coming into this district, where such high standards in production are set, and taking a rum-down farm and bringing it tip to its present rating among the best, and all this in a period of six years, is sufficient evidence of his energy and ability. Politically he is a Republican and has held office, both in Ohio and Michigan. In Sandusky county, Ohio, he served his township for a period of four years, as road supervisor and also as school director, and in Madison township he has been elected a member of the school board, an office he is holding at the present time. His marriage to Miss Minnie Barber occurred March 17, 1884, and that happy event was celebrated in Sandusky county, Ohio, at the home of the bride's parents. Mrs. Miller is the daughter of Charles and Martha Barber, both of whom are natives of Ohio. Mr. Barber has been engaged all his days -in agricultural pursuits, and he served his country throughout the Civil war, be-ing a member of Company I, Seventy-second Ohio infantry, and at the present time he makes his home with his family in Henry county. Mrs. Miller was born in Sandusky county, Ohio, July 31, 1869, and attended the district schools of her locality. To her and her husband have been born five children, two of whom have started into life for themselves. The children are: Walter, born March 14, 1885, now living in Monroe; Hazel (Holmes), born July '17, 1888, residing in Fairfield township; Faye L., born Sept. 3, 18go, living at home; Flosey, born Feb. 14, 1892, and Russell, born June 24, 1901. Mrs. Miller is a member of the Quaker church and the son, Faye L., is connected with the Gleaners and Madison township Grange. Rufus W. Stevenson, of Madison township, was born at Woodland, Barry county, Michigan, Aug. 23, 1862. He is the son of Alonzo B. and Eliza J. (Brackett) Stevenson, both natives of Genesee county, New York, the father having been born July 7, 1831, and the mother, April 23, 1838. Rufus W. Stevenson, grandfather of our subject, was a native of New Jersey, born Sept. 22, 1799, and in that state he married Roxanna Dewey. The grandparents settled for a time in New York state, where the grandfather followed the trade of carpenter, but later they removed to Michigan and settled in Dover township, this county, and the grandfather operated a farm in connection with his trade as carpenter. Here they lived for about twenty years, finally moving to Woodland, Barry county, where they acquired a farm and spent their final days, the grandfather passing away in 1871. Alonzo B. Stevenson was united in marriage to Eliza J. Brackett, Feb. 4, 1855, and in Barry county he followed the joint occupation of farming and carpenter work till 1877. In that year this couple separated, and little has been heard from him since, the last report of his address being Perkam, Minn. After the separation, our subject's mother, with her children, located in Pennsylvania, where farming life was followed, and in that state they remained till 1884. From Pennsylvania they removed to Kansas, and after remaining there four years moved into Erie county, Col., where they operated a farm till 1893. Not being contented in the far West, Mrs. Stevenson and her children returned to Michigan, and in this state, they have resided from ,that time. There were seven children in this family: Etnmor A., born March 20, 1856, now living in Colorado, married and has six children; Pleiades B., born Jan. 9, 1858, farming in Colorado; Alma A. (Mather), born March 12, 186o, now living in Toledo, the mother of three children, her husband being a shipping clerk for Ransom, Randolph & Company; Sarah W. (Younkman), born April 6, 1864, living in the city of Adrian, the mother of seven children; Evelyn J. (Johnson), born March 15, 1866, died March 9, r8go, at Galena, Kan.; Inez E. (Keating), born Feb. 6, 1873, resides in Worcester, Mass.; and Rufus W. is the subject of this sketch. The latter was educated in the district schools of Barry county, and finished his last two years at the Hillsdale High School. -His early years were spent with his mother at their Western homes, and when the family returned to Michigan, in 1893, he purchased a farm in Madison township and later added to it by purchasing another parcel of forty acres. This is located in sections 22 and r4, along the highway known as the Main street road from Adrian, from which city his farm is distant about two and onehalf miles. Specialty farming is given most attention, and Mr. Stevenson engages extensively in berry-raising, but does some general farming. Likewise an interest is taken in the dairy branch, and at present ten milch cows are cared for on his farm. On Nov. 28, 1894, about a year after his return from the West, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Nora B. Bradish, daughter of Myron W. and Martha (Denison) Bradish, both natives of this county. Mrs. Stevenson was born and spent her girlhood in Madison township and received her scholastic training in the Adrian schools. Her education was completed in the high school of that place, and she graduated with the class of 1894. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson: Myron F., born March 4, 1896; Merle L., born July 11, 1897; Martha E., born May 9, 1899; and Rufus E., born March i, igo1. Both Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson are affiliated with the Methodist church and they are also members of the National Protective Legion. William R. Bradish, whose ancestors are numbered among those who earned for themselves names and places in the foremost rank of organizers and developers of this new territory, was born in the house that is now his present home, May 2, 1857. He is the son of Augustus W. and Elsie M. (Appleby) Bradish, and the grandson of Calvin and Nancy (Post) Bradish. The grandparents were of English extraction, natives of Massachusetts and Long Island, respectively, and at an early date they settled in Wayne county, New York. As early as 1828, Calvin Bradish had purchased from the government 240 acres of land in Madison township, and three years later he removed to this tract, bringing his family with him. This became the first home of the Bradish family in this section, and additional lands were acquired in this and Hillsdale counties until this pioneer was the possessor of i,6oo acres. The first dwelling house was erected in 1831, its location being in section 23, and from this center the good influence and example of the elder Bradish radiated throughout the township and county. Appreciating the value of a railroad as an adjunct to the development of a new country, the elder Bradish was foremost in advocating the building of the Erie and Kalamazoo railway (now a part of the Lake Shore system), and he was a liberal contributor to this project. Madison township was the home of the family ever after, and there the pioneers passed away, the wife in 1839, and the husband, Sept. 17, 1851. Of the children born to them, but one of whomNorman F. Bradish-survives. This son is a resident of Madison township and his farm is located near the farm of William R. Bradish, subject of this review. The deceased children are: Mentha M., Curran, Nelson, Sarah, Luther, Calvin, John, Augustus W., Amanda G. and Myron. Few are they who remember the elder Bradish; but his record and life's influence remain. A leader among men, his advice was sought by his neighbors and his judgment was accepted as final. In his day he held many offices, and as justice of the peace passed upon the difficulties and shortcomings of his neighbors without fear or prejudice, and to the satisfaction of his community. Augustus W. Bradish succeeded his father as a leading spirit in his locality, and his life was only another chapter in the record of a name that has stood for good, in both local and general affairs. This worthy bearer of the Bradish name was born in Wayne county, New York, came to this district in 1831, followed agriculture principally throughout his entire life, and died Oct. 26, 19o5. On April 13, 1847, was celebrated his marriage to Miss Elsie M. Appleby, daughter of Jacob and Mary (Peck) Appleby, who were natives of New Jersey and Massachusetts, respectively. The wife's parents were of English stock, but their location and last home was in the state of Pennsylvania. To Augustus W. Bradish and wife were born eight children : Caroline A., Clarence M., Herbert H., Carroll E., William R. (subject of this sketch), Josephine E., Frank A. and Mary E. Mrs. Augustus W. Bradish preceded her husband to the grave, having died April 12, 1903. Politically our subject's father was a Republican, and his continual tenure in office in his district bespeaks his popularity and the esteem of his brethren. At one time he held the office of superintendent of the poor, and also the office of township treasurer was held for' a term. For twenty years he was township clerk, and such satisfaction did he give while serving in the office of justice of the peace that he was repeatedly elected for a period of forty years, a record probably not equalled in this state. He was also supervisor for seven years. His influence was not merely local, but he was known throughout this and surrounding counties and spoken of as a man of great ability and force of character. William R. Bradish received his first school training in the district schools of Madison township and later followed a course of special study at Raisin Valley Seminary. When his school days were completed, work on his father's farm was followed for a time, but later he became a lineman for the Western Union Telegraph Comparty, working between Adrian and Elkhart, Ind. At this occupation he remained a year and then returned to his father's farm, and this has been his home ever since. Now he is the owner of the old homestead, and in addition to his farming interests he is agent of the Detroit, Toledo and Ironton railway at Madison, a position he has filled since 1902. In connection with his duties as railway agent fie has opportunity to engage in business for himself, and conducts a warehouse in Madison, where he sells coal-both hard and soft-posts, fertilizer, etc. This warehouse was opened at the time he became the representative of the railway, and the volume of trade is considerable. Following the same political faith as did his father, he has held many offices and succeeded his father in the office of justice of the peace, an office he held for eight years. He is township clerk at the present time, an office held by him for twelve years, and in addition to these he has been at various times director in his school district. The mantle of the fathers has fallen on a worthy descendant, and Mr. Bradish is one of the leading men of his township, being held in esteem and honor by his fellow men. In June, 1888, occurred his marriage to Miss Katherine Ossler, daughter of George and Mary A. (Muss) Ossler, of Adrian. His wife's parents were born in Germany, the father in 1834, settled in Adrian in 1852, and the mother, born in 1842, settled here in 1859. Mr. Ossler died in 1878, and his widow is living in Toledo, with one of her daughters. Mrs. Bradish was born in Adrian, Oct. 21, 1865, and received her education in the schools of that city. To her and her husband have been born four children : Grace A., born in 1889, died in 1893; Alger C., born in 18go, died in x893; Bernice E., born Dec. 4, 1892; and Fred L., born Sept. 2, 1894. Mr. Bradish is a member of Madison Grange, the Knights of the Mac-cabees, and also of the Odd Fellows. He is interested in a tropical enterprise, known as the Colorado Honduras Plantation Company, owners of extensive plantations in -Ionduras and South America. Charles N. Eayrs, who numbers among his ancestors the earliest settlers of the New England States and at a later period the pioneer citizens of Michigan, was born in Palmyra township, this county, Oct. 31, 1846. For the past 200 years the name of Eayrs has been well known in New England and some of the first families of that section are descended from the same sturdy stock that came there in the early part of the Eighteenth century and builded their fortunes in the new country. For six generations the records of the family have been carefully preserved, and William Eayrs, of English blood, may be said to be the founder. His history is the first of record, but had the traditions and tales of his ancestors been preserved what records of Norman and Saxon strife might have been given to his posterity, and the battle rolls of the old English kings and their Norman conquerors would have contained many names of the Eayrs family. William Eayrs, the first, was born in England, but early in life removed into the north of Ireland and settled in Londonderry. There he resided till 1718, and in that year brought his family to America and located in Londonderry, N. H. The location was made in a part of the town or township known as English Range, and there the Eayrs family followed farming and, engaged in the business of tanning. There one of the first frame houses of the town was built, and so substantially was the work done that it stands today, and very few are the repairs that have been necessary to preserve it. William Eayrs, the second, son of the founder of the family, was born in Ireland and came to the colony with his parents. His wife was Jeannette Caldwell, daughter of Joseph Caldwell, a Scotchman, who was born in the latter part of the Seventeenth century. To William and Jeannette Eayrs were born ten children, four sons and four daughters reaching maturity, and two died in infancy. Those wlzo grew to maturity were: Joseph, William, James, John, Peggy, Agnes, Jeannette and Sarah. Joseph Eayrs, eldest son of William and Jeannette, was born in Londonderry, N. H., Nov. 4, 1728, and married Bridget Coburn, daughter of Oliver and Lucy (Bowers) Coburn, in 1752. Bridget (Coburn) Eayrs was horn in 1736 and died in April, 1811. Her father's home was in the southern portion of Nashua, N. II., about fifty rods from the Massachusetts line. The following were the children of this couple: Joseph and Bridget, who died in infancy; Jeannette, born in April, 1761; Sarah, born in December, 1762; Thomas, who died in infancy; John, born in December, 1765; Lucia, born in 1767; Rebecca, born in 1769; Maria, born in March, 1i72; James, born in March, 1774; Agnes, born in December, 1775, Alexander, born in August, 1781, and William, born Jan. 23, 1784. Alexander Eayrs, son of Joseph and Bridget Eayrs, married Lydia Whittle, daughter of John and Lydia (Boyd) Whittle, and located on his father's-farm in Dunstable, N. H. During her last years his mother, Bridget Eayrs, lived with him and she died in 1822. This farm was then sold and a location was chosen at Derry, in the same state. This was followed by successive removals to Newburyport and Kensington. The children born to Alexander Eayrs and wife were: Wiltha, Maria, Joseph, John, Andrew, Sarah, and Charles. Several of these children died in infancy, and in the spring of 1831, Alexander Eayrs and wife, with their eldest daughter and three sons, started from Kensington for Michigan. Great hardship was encountered and their youngest son died enroute. Landing in this state, their first stop-ping place was Monroe, but soon after their arrival the husband was taken sick of a fever and died July 27, 1831. His widow then made her home in Monroe, and after the death of her daughter, became the wife of Martin Smith. John W. Eayrs, father of our subject, was born in New Hampshire in 1811 and died July 15, 1851. His pioneer experience in Michigan dated from 1831, the year of his arrival here, and after the death of his father his home was in Monroe for a time. His final location was made in Palmyra township, this county. , His wife, who was Alena McConnell, was born in June, 1816, and died Aug. 2, 1892. John W. Eayrs served in the Black Hawk war, his land here 'was acquired direct from the government, and twenty years of labor in this community left "its mark and fruits. At the time of his death nearly all of his land had been improved, and his work in this section was but a repetition of the labor and activity of his ancestors in the New Hampshire home. Five children were born to him and his wife, Alena. They were John H. and Charles N. (twins), born Oct. 31, 1846; Benjamin F., born Jan. 28, 1847, died March 14, 1899; Eliza M. (James), born Nov. 25, 1849, now living in Newark, N. J.; and Sarah A., born Jan. 28, 1851, died in March, 1854. In the days of the Civil war our subject's twin brother enlisted in Company E, First Michigan cavalry, served for some time and was discharged. A second time he enlisted, this time with Company H, First Michigan light artillery, and he served during the remainder of the war. Our subject was denied army service on account of his health and remained at home, managing the farm and caring for his mother. His school days were interwoven with his farm work, and after his education was completed the management of his mother's farm devolved upon him, and there he lived till 1882, at which time the farm was sold and our subject, impelled by the same spirit that had been so dominant in his ancestors, started for the West and expected to choose a location, but after traveling through the entire country his conclusion was that no better place nor opportunities were to be had than in his home county. Re-turning to I:enawee, he purchased a ninety-acre farm, where he now resides, and since that time has improved this land in the latest and most up-to-date manner. The house has been rebuilt, a fine barn erected, and many other improvements installed. His is one of the most pleasant homes of his neighborhood, and his principal occupation is in the line of growing fruits and berries. Fine orchards have been cultivated, and there are more than boo pear and 400 peach trees on his land. In addition to this he does some general farming, but his principal product is in the special lines. On Nov. 24, 1870, occurred his marriage to Miss Keziah Moore, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Moore, of Palmyra township. Mr. Moore was born in England and his wife in Pennsylvania. Coming into this settlement at an early day, they located in Palmyra township, after spending a short time on a farm in Cambridge township. Mr. Moore died in 1876 and his wife, Dec. 26, 1891. Mrs. Keziah (Moore)- Eayrs was born in Cambridge township, March 30, 1846. Her education was obtained in the district schools, and to her and her husband have been born two children: Cora M. (Steidle), born June 3, 1872, and whose husband is a shoe merchant in Milan, Mich. ; and Perley C. Eayrs, born Feb. 26, 1876, living at home and working the farm with his father. Perley C. Eayrs was married March 29, 1899, to Bertha Eayrs, daughter of William and Inez Eayrs, who follow farming in Fairfield township. Mr. and Mrs. Charles N. Eayrs are members of the Methodist Protestant church. - John A. Osborne, who operates a general and garden farm in Madison township, was born on this farm, Oct. 26, 1872. His father is John R. and mother, Harriett V. (Dawson) Osborne. The former was born in England, May 18, 1845, and came with his parents to Canada in 1849. Mr. and Mrs. John R. Osborne were married in Canada, in which country the wife was born, March 3, 1845. From Canada they came to Michigan and located on the farm their 'son is cultivating, but their time is now spent between here and Virvinia, where they own a plantation of 453 acres. This Madison township farm was greatly improved under the elder Osborne's care and was turned into a garden farm, and in that line the son, who is the subject of this sketch, is principally engaged. To John R. Osborne and wife were born six children: William R., born Oct. 3, r866, died Feb. 19, 1907; Opal (Mitchell), born Nov. 3, 1868, resides in Raisin township; Oliver C., born Nov. 26, 1870, makes his home in Virginia and looks after the plantation there; Albert H., born June 7, 1878, resides in Madison township and is justice of the peace at the present time; Pearl (Ehinger), born July 2, 1882, is also a resident of Madison township; and John A., is our subject. John A. Osborne is the fourth child; his early education was obtained at the district schools of Madison township, and this was further supplemented by a course of two years at Adrian College. His first work in life was school teaching, and this profession was followed for two years. After that period he returned to his father's Madison township home and has continued to reside there. At the present time he occupies his father's house, but has lands of his own adjoining his father's tract, and both places are operated by him. Stock-raising and feeding are given some attention, but his time is principally given to raising fruits and vegetables, his principal products being peaches and celery. A hot-house has been installed for the early plants and the farm is equipped with every facility for this particular line. These two farms are about three miles from the city of Adrian. Their location is very pleasant and Mr. Osborne is in the foremost rank in his specialty in agriculture. No kind of farming requires more labor and attention than this, but it has the added benefit of this labor and attention in the profits that inure to its devotees. On Dec. zo, 1898, was celebrated John A. Osborne's marriage to Miss Olive G. Baldwin, daughter of John W. and Ann Eliza (Bradish) Baldwin, of Madison township. Mr. Baldwin is a Canadian by birth and his wife was born in the Empire State. Coming into this county in its early days, they located on a farm in Madison township and continued their home there till Mr. Baldwin's death, May 11, 1897. Mrs. Baldwin resides at the present time on the old homestead, where Olive, the wife of our subject, was born, July 5, 1876. Her early education was received at the district schools. To Mr. and Mrs. Osborne have been born two children, both of whom are at home. They are DeEtta M., born March 13, 1901, and Noel B., born Sept. 27, 1905. Mr. Osborne is a member of German Grange. O. Jay McCrillis.-Undoubtedly the "Land of I-leather" is the birthplace of the name of McCrillis, or of the name from which it has been derived, and the home of those who first bore it. Diligent search has, however, so far failed to reveal the origin of the name and the clan with which the family affiliated. Little is known of this family prior to the immigration to America, except as they shared the common lot with many others of the same race. The latest investigation indicates that somewhere in the region near Glasgow lived the first who bore the name. It is true that at least one branch of the family, living in America during the last -fifty years, traces its ancestry to Scotland by one direct immigration, As many of the Scottish names were materially changed, often for the purpose of concealing identity, it seems probable that this was true of the name McCrillis, and thus the evidence by which the family's history could be traced is lost. The spelling believed to be most ancient is Maccrellish or Maccrillish. The former style of the name is now borne by persons in America, and it is reported that it also appears in Ireland and Scotland. Other spellings now used by different branches are: McCrellis, McCrellias, McGrillis, and McCrillis, of which the last is most common. The evidence of general history and the traditions of older members of the family, make it certain that, like the ancestors of very many of the best people of our land, those of most of the McCrillis family of this country made two journeys in coming to America. The first was the emigration from Scotland to County Antrim, in the north of Ireland, which is thought to have been about r68o, and the second -that of probably a generation or two later-from Ireland to America. The first of the name, of whom a record exists in America, is John McCrillis, who sailed with five and perhaps six of his children as a part of a company from Port Rush, near Giant's Causeway, in Ireland, Aug. 7, 1726, and arrived in Boston, Oct. 8, following. He was the progenitor of the New Hampshire and also -the Maine and Vermont branches of the McCrillis family in America. The next known authentic records locate another John McCrillis at Coleraine, Mass., in 1747; William McCrillis at Boston in 1740; and Daniel McCleres (known to be a mis-spelling of McCrillis) in Portsmouth, N. H., in 1740. It is now settled that Daniel, the progenitor of the Vermont branch, was one of the sons of the John McCrillis first spoken of. Without doubt, relationship existed between the first John and the two Coleraine settlers-John and William-but just what it was has never been ascertained. Two daughters of John McCrillis, of New Hampshire-Martha and Mary-married Coleraine men. It is believed that the John and William who settled in Coleraine were related as uncle and nephew. William married in Boston, in 1740, and reared a family . there during the next eight years, as shown by the records of the old Federal Street (or Long Lane) Presbyterian church. He appears in Coleraine in 174.9, buying land. John McCrilis, supposed to have been the uncle of William, must have preceded him to Coleraine, as he is mentioned there in 1747. It is very possible that these four-the two Johns, Daniel and William-came in 1726, or at different times very near that date, and lived in Boston for some years. There is a persistent tradition in the family that they landed and lived at "Noodle Island," which is now East Boston. The records that most concern this ancestry show definitely that the uncle .and nephew, as it is supposed-John and William McCrillis-joined, sometime after 1740, a company of their countrymen who were developing a new town called Coleraine, perhaps from the old city of the name so near their former home in Ireland. The first deed for a lot of land in the town was dated January, 1738, and the first town meeting was held in January, 1741. John "McCrilis," as the name is spelled in his will, and who was evidently the elder of the two of that name, was the first ancestor in America of 0. Jay McCrillis. He was probably born in County Antrim, Ireland, in one of the small towns in the valley of the Bann river, about 1700. His parentage is unknown, as is also the exact date of his arrival in America.. As one of the early settlers of Coleraine, he acquired a lot of land in the southeasterly part of the new township, not far from the Green river. There he built a house and reared a family, some of the children of which must have been well grown when they came to live in Coleraine. John McCrilis is said to have been prominent in the town affairs. McClellan's historical address on Coleraine mentions him as a member of a military company, under Lieut. Daniel Severance, which was stationed in Coleraine in 1747 and 1748, during the French and Indian war, to fight the Indians. The same address also mentions that John McCrilis and others protested against having the master or mistress of the school, which, on March 5, 1753, the town voted to hold, paid by lots, but by the scholars that attended the school. John McCrilis mentions his wife in his will, but her maiden surname is unknown. Their children were as follows : Margaret McCrilis, who married Lieut. Samuel Wells, of Greenfield, Nov. 11, 1751; Esther McCrilis, who married, first, Archibald Pennell, and second, Andrew Lucas, or McLucas, both probably of Coleraine; William McCrilis, who married Eleanor King, of Pelham, Oct. 7, 1758; and John McCrilis, who mar-ried Hannah McConkey, of Pelham, Oct. 21, 1760. John McCrilis, senior, died Nov. 3, 1759. William McCrilis, of the second generation of this ancestry in America-John (1)-was born, as it is supposed, in America, but the date and place are not ascertained. He married Eleanor King, of Pelham, Mass., Oct. 7, 1758. The record of this marriage reads in the Pelham records as follows : "William McCreelis 2nd of Coldrain and Eloner King, Oct. 7, 1758." He is called Deacon William McCrelis in several places, including the inscription on his wife's tombstone. The records of Coleraine, both town and church, were burned years ago, but good authority states that he was a deacon of .the church in the early days. His name appears in the list of soldiers and sailors in the Revolution, which records "William McCreles" as a private in the company of Capt. Hugh McClallin and the regiment of Col. David Wells. A muster and pay-roll give his time of service as one month and two days in the Northern army, including travel home, six days, 12o miles. Tradition has it that he was in the Battle of Bennington, fought Aug. 16, 1777, which may be true, but he is not on record as an enlisted soldier until September. In the spring of 1775 Deacon William McCrelis and others met to appraise blankets to.be sent for the use of the soldiers of the Revolution. The children of William and Eleanor (King) McCrilis were : Jane, born April 18, 1764, married Samuel Ross; Eleanor, born Feb. 18, 1768; John P., born June 13, 1770; James, born April 19, 1773; Robert, born Feb. 25, 1774; and William, born April 20, 1776. The date of the death of William McCrilis is unknown, but his wife died Feb. 23, 1783, aged forty-five. James McCrillis-John (I), William (2)-of the third generation of this ancestry in America, was born in Coleraine, Mass., April 1g, 1773. He was married in Coleraine, Feb. 17, 1705, to Betsey Stevens, who was born in Boston, Oct. 24, 1774. She was the only daughter of Capt. William Stevens, of Boston, an officer of the American army in the Revolution, and a member of the famous "Boston Tea Party." James McCrillis moved from Coleraine to Camillus, NT. Y., before i8oo. The children of James and Betsey (Stevens) McCrillis were two in number: Elizabeth McCrillis, born in Camillus, Jan. 8, 1798, married Theodore Popple, who died at Weedsport, N.. Y., Dec. 20, 1843, their children being Louisa M. Popple, and Emily Popple, the latter of whom died Aug. 4, 1844, and the mother died in Weedsport, Dec. 16, 1846. James A. McCrillis, son of James and Betsey (Stevens) McCrillis, was born in Camillus, Oct. 7, 1799. Betsey (Stevens) McCrillis lived in and about Onondaga and Cayuga counties during the latter part of her life, and she died at Weedsport, Cayuga county, New York, March 19, 1836. James McCrillis, senior, lived there until about 18o6, at which time he went South in company with two boys named Lawrence, taking a drove of horses. The boys returned without him. Letters came for a while, speaking of his trades in horses for Southern property. These ceased, and it is believed that he was either robbed and killed, or lost. James A. Mc- Crillis-John (1), William (2), James (3)-fourth generation of this ancestry in America, was born in Camillus, Onondaga county, New York, Oct. 7, 1799. He was married Jan. 15, 1824, in Sennett, Cayuga county, New York, to Betsey Halliday, who was born in Camillus, N. Y., May 4, 1803. He was a rugged youth, earning his living as a day laborer (teamster) on the Erie canal. At the age of nineteen, he and David Glasby drove the six and eight-horse teams from Albany to Buffalo, transporting the en-gines for the first steamboat on Lake Eric-"The-Walk-in-theWater" named after a celebrated Indian chief in Michigan. At that time he was employed by Nathan Brown, of Upingham, Montgomery county, New York. Leaving his native state he migrated, in 1836, to Medina, Lenawee county, Michigan, and purchased of Orville Woodworth 16o acres of land-the southeast quarter of section 4, town 9, south of range 1, east-on which, with the exception of the years 1884-85, he .resided until his death. His were the usual hardships of early times in moving a family-a wife and three children-through a' new and unbroken country. After settling he converted his home into a tavern, and later a postoffice, called "Blanc," Route 3617, was added. Though at first a farmer, his business in later years was in dealing in notes and mortgages. His spirit of enterprise and "go-ahead-it-iveness," and his early training and development made him a representative man in his declining years. The children of James A. and Betsey (Halliday) McCrillis were: Mary H. McCrillis, born NOV. 22, 1824, at Elbridge, Cayuga county, New York, married Amos Kendall, M. D., and died Oct. 6, 19o8; Jane Ross McCrillis, born Nov. 17, 1825, died in infancy; Betsey Jane McCrillis, born Nov. 17, 1829, at Elbridge, N. Y., married W. B. Belding and now lives (19og) in Santa Barbara, Cal.; James Ross McCrillis, born in Camillus, N. Y., Dec. 25, 1833; Edward Dickinson McCrillis, born Feb. 12, 1836, in Camillus, N. Y., and died April 13, 1955; Amelia Ann McCrillis, born Sept. 17, 1839, in Medina, Lenawee county, Michigan, married Lieut. E. Luce, and died Aug. 7, 1863, in Morenci, Mich.; William Steven McCrillis, born Feb. 12, 1843, in Medina, Mich., did not marry, always resided at his father's home, and he died Nov. 2, 1889. James A. McCrillis died at the old homestead in Medina, Mich., June 29, 1886, and was buried in Fayette, Fulton county, Ohio. His wife, Betsey (Halliday) McCrillis, died March 31, 18g1. James Ross McCrillis, fifth generation of this ancestry in America-John (i ), William (2), James (3), James A. (4)-was born in Camillus, N. Y., Dec. 25, 1833. He was practically reared in Medina township, Lenawee county, and resided with and worked for his father until he was twenty-two years of age. At that time he purchased eighty acres of land in Medina township-one-half of the northeast quarter of section 8, town 9, south of range 1, east. On Oct. 5, 1856, he married Sarah Jane Sutton, who was born Feb. 27, 1840, in Gorham township, Fulton county, Ohio. They settled on his new farm of eighty acres. Physically he was like an oak, in power of endurance. Though being equipped with only the education that a common district-school could give him, as a business farmer he was the peer of any in his neighborhood. He was skillful in the lumber business, dealing largely in that line in the rough. The children of James Ross and Sarah Jane (Sutton) McCrillis were: James Edward McCrillis, born Sept. 26, i86o, in Medina, Mich.; and O. Jay McCrillis, born Sept. 24, 1872, in Severance, Doniphan county, Kansas. James Edward McCrillis was reared on the farm, educated in the public schools of Morenci, Mich., and Fayette, Ohio, and at the University of Michigan, in which institution he graduated as a pharmacist. He married, Sept. 4, 1884, Emma Russell. As a man of business in Fayette, Ohio, he was admired by all, and died at that place, Feb. 28, 1900. James Ross McCrillis died April 1, 1894, at his father's old homestead, in the home of his son, O. Jay McCrillis. O. Jay McCrillis, sixth generation of this ancestry in America-John (1), William (2), James (3), James A. (4), James Ross (5)-was born Sept. 24, 1872, in Severance, Doniphan county, Kansas. He is the son of J. H. and Helen H. (Sutton) Halliday, the latter being the sister-in-law of James Ross McCrillis. He was adopted by James Ross McCrillis and his wife as their own son when only five weeks old, and he was reared by them. His early education was obtained in the district school near his Medina township home. From 1886 to 1894 he attended the Fayette Normal University, at Fayette, Ohio, taking scientific, business and music courses, and graduated in 1891 and 1894. On Sept. 26, 1894, he married Miss Marie Jean Rothenberger, at her birthplace in Flat Rock township, Henry county, Ohio. The following year he moved to the old homestead of his grandfather, James A. McCrillis, where he resided and which he rebuilt. On Feb. 15, 1905, this house took fire, while a sewer pipe in the wall was being thawed out, and was destroyed, since which time their residence has been in a neat cottage built by Mr. McCrillis on East Main street, Morenci. O. Jay McCrillis has always been a Republican, and is widely known throughout Lenawee county as a party worker. He is at present the Republican township committeeman in Seneca township. In the spring of 1908 he was elected president of the village of Morenci, on a ticket opposing saloon control. He is a member of Morenci Lodge, No. 95, Free and Accepted Masons; Morenci Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, No. 1,1 ; Putnam council, No. 16, Hudson, Mich.; Adrian Commandery, No. 4, Adrian, Mich. ; Moslem Temple, Ancient Arabic Order, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, Detroit, Mich.; Morenci Knights of Pythias, Lodge No. 203; Morenci Grange, No. 280; and the Order of the Eastern Star, No. 68, at Morenci. The children of O. Jay McCrillis and Marie J. (Rothenberger) McCrillis, are: Joice Irene McCrillis, born Feb. 10, 1897, in Medina ; James Frederick McCrillis, born May 7, 1894, in Medina, and Jane Eloise McCrillis, born June 27, 1909, in Morenci, Mich.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com