History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 121



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Frank Schiebel, prominent and prosperous as a farmer, respected as a neighbor and popular throughout his entire township and county, was born in Adrian township, Feb. 12, 1862. His parents, Leonard and Marian (Baur) Schiebel, were born in Worttemberg, Germany, his father's birth date being Nov. 15, 1830, and his mother's, Jan. 13, 1832. His mother died March 22, 1905. The parents came to this country from Germany, in 1852, and settled in Adrian township, bought a tract of land that was principally woods, cleared and improved it and brought it under a fine state of cultivation. Later they bought an additional forty acres and improved this parcel in the same careful manner. Very substantial buildings were erected and this was their home till 1goo, at which time they removed to the city of Adrian, where the father is now residing. The ownership of the farm is still retained by him, but he is living a rather retired life. To Leonard Schiebel and wife were born seven children : Stanis L., born May 3, 1851; Charles, born Nov. 15, 1852, who at the present time is working for the Lamb Fence Company in Adrian; Eugene, born Nov. ig, 1853, whose untimely death occurred while lumbering in the state of Washington, in 1904; Theresa, born Feb. 16, 1855, died Oct. 13, of the-same year; Augusta (Seger), born Feb..27, 1857, resides in Rome Center; Frank, who is the subject of this review; and Mary Lena (Schwartz), born March 26, 1866, is living in Adrian. Our subject received a good education in the district schools of his native township and supplemented this by a carefully chosen course at Raisin Valley Seminary, after which he worked for his father on the farm till his twenty-fifth year. Having by his industry and frugality saved sufficient means, he purchased eighty acres of fine land in section 1o, Adrian township, this parcel being situated just across the highway from his father's farm. On this newly acquired tract he resided till 1900, at which time his father retired to city life and our subject moved to the old homestead and from there continues to operate both farms. These farms are located one mile north of the present site of the town house and are very beautifully surrounded. Mr. Schiebel is a self-made man and has seen his fortune grow as the result of thrift, energy and square dealing. Prosperous himself, he is one of the foremost of his neighborhood in all movements for the public good, and his advice is sought in all mat-' ters pertaining to his community. His disposition is genial and whole-souled, and he is of that class of good citizens that make this county, famous, not only for its agricultural prosperity, but for the good fellowship and feeling among its inhabitants. A valued friend is he, and in times of distress many have turned to him and not found him wanting in sympathy and assistance. His popularity is evidenced throughout his community by his repeated election to office in a township where a great majority differ from him in political faith, Mr. Schiebel being a Democrat and his township being Republican. Notwithstanding this political balance against him, he has been twice elected township treasurer and also supervisor, an office he is holding at the present time. His specialty in farming is stock-raising and feeding, and at the present time there are over 500 sheep on his farms. On Feb. 21, 1886, he led to the marriage altar Miss Rebecca C. Slater, daughter of William and Mercy M. (Hill) Slater, of Tecumseh. Mr. and Mrs. Slater were natives of New Jersey, but early settlers of this county. Mr. Slater was born Jan. 12, 1823, and died in Adrian township, Jan. 14, 1goo. His wife's birth date was July 3, 1829, and at the present time she makes her home with her daughter and son-inlaw. To Mr. and Mrs. Slater were born two children : Walter, horn Feb. 7, 1849, at the present time residing on the old Slater homestead:in Adrian, township; and Rebecca, wife of our subject. Mrs. Schiebel. was born Sept. 18, 1864, and was educated in her native township schools. Mr. Schiebel is a member of the Masonic lodge, at Adrian. Leonard Schiebel, who at the present time is living a retired life in the city of Adrian, was born in Wurttemberg, Germany, Nov. 15, 1830. He is the son of Frank and Caroline (Fischer) Schiebel, both of whom were natives of that country and there spent all their days. The father was a professional veterinarian in the employ of the government, a position he held several years and was holding at the time of his death, which occurred in his forty-first year. His wife remained. in the Fatherland and passed away in 1872. Three children were born to this couple, the youngest being.. Leonard, who is the subject of this biography. The others were Amelia, who died in 1883, and Karl, who early in life.followed the tanner's trade, but retired from that calling and is spending his last days on a farm in the country of his fathers. Leonard Schiebel received his education in the schools of Germany, the schools of no country being-more thorough, and he remained in his father's province till his twenty-third year. In 1852 he brought his family to America, the trip at that time requiring thirty-five days, and he came direct to Adrian township. There he bought a farm of forty acres, land that was not well cleared. His first attention was given to developing this parcel, and in a comparatively short time it 'had all been turned into fine agricultural land. At a later period another parcel of forty acres was purchased and the entire tract was developed into a most productive condition. This place was the home of Mr. Schiebel till his advanced age rendered hard work somewhat of a burden, and.in lgoo he retired to Adrian. His lands had been careful;ly cultivated, scientifically drained and tiled, and all the buildings on the place were erected by him; and the old home farm is now being, conducted by his son, Frank, who operates it in connection with his own land near by. In 1849 occurred the marriage of Leonard Schiebel to Mary Baur, daughter of Leopold and Caroline (Weiss) Baur, both natives of Germany. The wife's parents followed their children to America and settled in Adrian township, where they farmed and lived till their deaths, the father passing away in 1858 and the mother in 1872. Mrs. Schiebel was born Jan. 13, 1832, and received her education in the German schools. She died in the city of Adrian, March 22, 1905. To Mr. and Mrs. Schiebel were born seven children: Stanis L., born May 3, 1851, at present living in Detroit; Charles, born Nov. 15, 1852, now living in Adrian and employed by the Lamb Fence Company; Eugene, born Nov. 19, 1853, killed by a rolling log while lumbering in the state of Washington, in 1904, his death occurring Nov. 4, of that year ; Theresa, born Feb. 16, -1855, died Oct. 13, 1855; Augusta (Seger), born Feb. 27, 1857, is now living at Rome Center, the mother of two children-Leonard Seger, born Sept. 7, 1883, and Ernest Seger, born April ig, 1888; Frank Schiebel, born Feb. 12, 1862, is the sub= ject of a separate sketch in this volume; and Mary L. (Schwartz), living in Adrian, is the mother of four children-Leona Schwartz, born 'Feb. 9, 1891; Hilda Schwartz, born June 30, 1892; Clara Schwartz, born June 9, 1894, and Chester' Schwartz, born Feb. 8, 1904. With this last mentioned daughter Mr. Schiebel makes his home and resides at No. 12 Finch street. Grandville Knight, formerly of Adrian township, but now living a -retired life at No. Ix Allis street, Adrian, was born in Adrian township, Dec. 9, 1842. His father was Stephen Knight, who was born in Greenwood county, Maine, July 15, 1814. His grandfather was Daniel Knight, horn in the ' same county in Maine in 1786. Daniel Knight -was reared on a farm and followed an agricultural calling all his life. His first farm was in Greenwood county, and there he lived till 1852, at which time he removed to Wisconsin, living near Madison for four years, and finally he passed away inthe state of his adoption, in 1856. His wife was Sally Tubbs, a daughter of Jacob and Desire Tubbs, who were slumbered among the first settlers of Oxford county, Maine. To Daniel Knight andwife were born ten children, Stephen being the fifth child. Sally (Tubbs) Knight was born in Maine, in 1788, and died in Pownal,-. that state, in 1856. Their son, Stephen Knight, followed the avocation of his ancestors and was always engaged in agricultural pursuits. Not all of this time, however, was spent in the cultivation of the soil, but from 1834 to 1839 he worked in the lumber woods of his native state. In 1839, early in the spring, he started for Michigan, distant 1,400 miles from the county of his nativity, and threeweeks were spent enroute. Following the south shore of Lake Erie, his objective point was Toledo, and from that village his goods and family were transported to Adrian via the Erie & 'Kalamazoo railroad, then the only road west of Buffalo. His arrival at Adrian was on May 9, 1839, and in the fall of that year eighty acres of land were purchased in Eaton county. This farm never became his home, although that was his intention at the time of its purchase, but in 1844 a farm in Adrian township was acquired and this became the home of Stephen Knight and family till 1851. In that year this farm was sold and another was purchased in a different section of the same township, and this became the abiding place till 1855. _The next two years were spent in the city of Adrian, but in the spring of 1857 a farm was purchased in Adrian township, in section 10, and there the family lived until the time of the sale of that farm, in 1863, at which time another tract was purchased in Raisin township, and finally, in 1865, this parcel was sold and a farm was purchased in Adrian township, section 21, which became the final home. On April 19, 1840, Stephen Knight was married to Eliza A. Marlatt, daughter of Obed and Anna Marlatt, of Yates, Orleans county, New York, and to them were horn five children: Aurilla (Armstrong), born Feb. 24, 1841, now living in Adrian; Grandville, the second child and subject of this sketch; Almy, born May 22, 1846, died July 7, 1847; Anibrose B., born June 25, 185o, died Nov. 27, 1895; and Stephen H., born Nov.. 13. 1852, died Feb. 12, 19og. Eliza A. (Marlatt) Knight was born'in Yates, N. Y., Aug. 10, 1824. Her parents were- natives of that state, her father having been born May 20, 1i99, and died Aug. 30, 1830, and her mother, born Feb. 19, 1805, died May 4, 1879. Eliza A. Marlatt was brought to Michigan by her uncle, Jacob Boon, in 1833, and seventy years of her life were spent in Michigan, her death occurring Nov. 6, 1903. Her husband had preceded her to the grave, passing away Aug. 6, 1900. Stephen Knight had lived a useful life and was prominent both socially and politically. His service to the public was given for several years as highway commissioner, and he also served as justice of the peace. Grandville Knight, subject of this review, was educated at the district schools and finished a course at Raisin Valley Seminary. After his school days were completed, he began life's work as a farmer and continued on a farm for seven years. His farm was located in Raisin township, and at the expiration of the above period he moved into Tecumseh, where he worked at the carpenter's and painter's trades. In that village he made his home for about three years and then purchased a farm in Adrian township, section 16, and this was his home till his time of retirement. This farm was purchased in 1864, and the next thirty-eight years were spent in its cultivation and betterment. Retiring in 19o2 to the city, Mr. Knight retained his ownership of the old farm, and he is the possessor of 179 acres of fine land. His farm is well supplied with good buildings, is amply drained, and is one of the best farms in his old neighborhood. His active days were spent in general farming and stock-raising, and feeding for market. In these latter days his time is given to looking after his property, but he is no longer engaged in the hard work that brought success to him in youth and middle-life. His duties as a citizen have not been neglected, and the office of justice of the peace has been held by him and also that of director of the schools in No. 4 district. Today, he is placed among the first citizens of his community and ranks among the most affluent of Adrian township. On Nov. II, 1863, was celebrated his marriage to Miss Marian G. Lovejoy, daughter of Henry and Sarah (Horton) Lovejoy, of Adrian township. Her parents were Easterners, the father having been born in Maine, April 6, 1816, died Dec. 19, 19o4, and her mother was a native of New York state, where she was born Aug. 15, 1822, her death occurring Aug. 14, 1go1. The wife's parents came to Michigan at an early date, making the trip via Toledo, and they transported their effects by ox-teams; their first location was in Raisin township, and there they resided for a short time and later removed to Tecumseh. In this village their home was made for a short period, but they finally returned to Raisin township, and they spent their last days in Adrian township with their daughter and son-in-law. Mrs. Grandville Knight was born in Raisin township, March 7, 1845, and she was educated in the district schools and at Raisin Valley Seminary. Two -children were born to her and her husband. These are henry Stephen Knight, and Roy- Lee Knight. Henry Stephen was born Feb. 1, 1872, married Mellie Cleveland, and to them have been born two children, Milton Lee and Isabel. Their home is in Red Lands, Cal. Roy Lee, second son of our subject, was born Feb. 25, 1883, and he is married to Mabel Raymond. They have one child, Gerald Lee. This couple make their home in the city of Adrian and the husband is bookkeeper for the Page Fence Company. Socially, Grandville Knight is a Mason, in which order he has reached the rank of Knight Templar. He is affiliated with the lodge at Adrian. John A. Pitch, whose well improved homestead farm is located in Adrian township, on rural mail route No. 7, is another of the native sons of the county who has here attained to distinctive success in connection with the agricultural industry and who is also a representative of one of the honored pioneer families of this section of the state. He was born in Cambridge township, Jan. 24, 1848, and is a son of James and Permelia (Pulver) Fitch, both natives of Vermont and members of families which were founded in America in the Colonial era of our country's history. The parents came from the old Green Mountain State to Michigan, when the latter was still a Territory, as the records show that they became residents of Lenawee county in 1835. The father secured from the government a tract of heavily timbered land in Ca1nbridge township, where he forthwith instituted the development of a farm according to the standard which obtained in the pioneer days. He remained on the homestead mentioned until about 1850, when he removed with his family to Woodstock township, where he died in. 1851 and where his devoted wife and helpmeet died in 1855. They were folk of sterling attributes of character and commanded the unqualified esteem of all who knew them, even as their memories are cherished by their children and by others who had recognition of their worthy lives and labors during the formative period in the 'history of Lenawee county. Both were members of the Methodist Episcopal church and ordered their lives in accord with the faith which they professed. Concerning the five children in the family, the following brief data are consistently entered William H. was born in 1838, and died in 1897; Harriet A. became the wife of Alfred A. Miller, and died in the city of Detroit, Oct. 21, 1907; Delia died at the age of two years; Emma Jane is the wife of Ferdinand Myers and resides in the city of Adrian; and the subject of this sketch was the fourth in order of birth. John A. Fitch gained his early educational training in the primitive district schools of Cambridge and W-Voodstock townships, and as a boy he began to assist in the work of the home farm. After leaving school he was employed by the month at farm work for a few years and he then served an apprenticeship at the trade of carpenter, in which he became a skillful workman. After following the work at his trade for some time he rented a farm in Cambridge township and devoted his attention to the operation of the same for about four years, at the expiration of which he removed to his present homestead, in Adrian township. He purchased the property in 1884 and has here maintained his home during the long intervening years. His farm, which comprises thirty-four acres, is maintained at the highest standard and is one of the model farms of the county. It is improved with excellent buildings and everything about the place gives the unmistakable evidences of thrift and prosperity. No resident of the township is held in higher esteem and confidence than is Mr. Fitch, and no man in the county takes a greater pride in the marks of progress which have been made since the pioneer days. He has aided in the material and civic advancement of the county and stands as a type-of the most loyal and public-spirited citizenship. The estimate placed upon him in his home township is clearly shown when it is stated that he has held the office of highway commissioner for nineteen consecutive years, and has had the support of the voters of the township irrespective of strict partisan lines. The state highway commissioner has given special commendation to Mr. Fitch in connection with his services in the office mentioned, and has vouch-safed the information that no other citizen in the state has held for so long and continuous a period the office of township highway commissioner. In politics Mr. Fitch is a stanch advocate of the principles of the Democratic party. In Tecumseh, this county, March 2, 1869, Mr. Fitch was united in marriage to Miss Hesterette Barrus, who was born in Rome township, this county, July 25, 1847, and who is a daughter of Dellencee and Emily D. (Smith) Barrus, the former of whom was born in Massachusetts and the latter in the state of New York. They came from the East to Michigan and settled in Lenawee county in 1833. The father was one of the representative farmers of Rome township in the pioneer period, and there developed a good farm before his death, which occurred in 1851. His wife survived him by more than thirty years, and her death occurred in April, 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Fitch have only one child, William II., who was born July 3, 1872. He is now employed in the experimental department of the American Computing Scale Company, in the city of Toledo, Ohio, and is one of the high-salaried men in the employ of this corporation. On May 1o, 1893, he was united in marriage to Miss Flora G. Stacey, and they have two children-John S., who was born April 5, 1894; and George 1V., who was born Nov. 19, 1898. George Sayers, who at the present time is living a retired life in the city of Adrian, whose life is but another chapter in the book of successes, and whose industry, perseverance and economy pro-vided a home and abundance for his sunset days, is a native of England, born in that country, March 13, 1831. His parents were English, and their parents were also English people, who were born, lived and died. in that country. Abel Sayers was the father of our subject and the mother was Ann (Foster) Sayers. The parents settled in this country, in 1855, and arrived at Adrian in the spring of that year. They located in Adrian for a short period, and then went to Adrian township, where they settled on a farm, and there the wife and mother passed away in December, 1855, For a short time after the death of his wife, Abel Savers made his home on this farm, and his daughter acted as housekeeper, but he soon left this place and ever after made his home with •his son, George. His death occurred in Adrian township in 1872. His occupation was always in agricultural lines. To Abel Sayers and wife were born ten children, of which family George Sayers was the eldest. The others were Ann (Marsh), who died at Sylvania, Ohio, in 1903; Mary (Pentelow), who died in Ogden 'in 1899; Rebecca (Mitchell), who died in Palmyra in 1897; Thomas, who died in Riga in I9oo; Frances (Simmons), who lives near Leslie. in Ingham county;_ Amy, who also lives in Leslie; Ellen, who died at the age of twenty-two; Abel, who died in 1892; and Frederick E., who died at Sylvania, Ohio, in 1869. George Sayers, subject of this sketch, was educated in England, and came to this county in 1854. At that time he was twenty-three years of age, and after he had been here a year returned to England for his parents and their family. The first five years of his life in this country, was spent in Adrian, and in 1859 he went to Riga town-ship and purchased a farm of eighty acres. Part of this tract was improved by him, and there he lived till x866, in which year he sold out and moved to Adrian township, where he purchased a farm of fifty acres in section 9, and there he made his home for the next ten years. This land was sold, in 1876, and our subject bought 'a tract in the same township and there made his home till the time of his retirement, in 1905. To provide for himself a home in the city, he purchased a property at No. 8 Budlong street, and has ever since resided-there. His youngest son, William, manages the old farm. During his tenancy on the farm, Mr. Sayers greatly improved it and erected fine buildings and he has lived to see all his family comfortably situated and located in this vicinity. Mr. Sayers, in his youth and school day period in England, had met and attended school with Jane Baker, a girl born in his native country. After he had come to America their love remained constant, and in accordance with their plans and arrangements, Miss Baker journeyed to America and became the wife of our subject. Their marriage occurred in x859, but Mrs. Sayers lived only seven years, leaving four children: Emma Jane (Hoag), now living in Adrian township; Eliza Maria (Beers), residing in the same township; David H., who died at the age of six years; and Frances Ann (Edwards), who lives in Ingham county. In 1869 Mr. Sayers again married and his choice was Mrs. Harriet A. (Older) Fleming, daughter of William and Caroline Older. Mr. and Mrs. Older were natives of New York state and settled in this community long before the Civil war. Mrs. Older died and was buried on the date of the battle of Bull Run, and Mr. Older died in 1872. Their daughter was born Dec. io, 1832, and came with her parents to the new country in her first year. To Mr. and Mrs. Sayers was born one son, William, who now resides on the old homestead, is married" and has two children-Alice May and Doris Marie Sayers. At the time of her marriage to Mr. Sayers, the present Mrs. Sayers was the widow of Marion H. Fleming, who, as a member of the Eleventh Michigan cavalry, was killed in the Civil war. By her former marriage, Mrs. Sayers was the mother of four children Eva May, deceased; Laura Dell (Butrick), now living in the city .of Adrian; Caroline E., deceased; and Jennie I. (Haviland),. now living in the city of Ann Arbor. The last named, Mrs. Haviland, is the mother of four children: Florence (Haviland) Norcross, of Leadville, S. D., who has one daughter, Lillian; Lee, who is married and has one child, Esther; Laura (Haviland) Fellers, who lives in the city of Ann Arbor and is the mother of James E. Fel lers ; and Harriet Haviland lives in Ann Arbor. Mr. and Mrs. Sayers are members of the Congregational church of Adrian township. Warren J. Parker, a prominent and influential agriculturist, of the township of Woodstock, this county, and formerly a member of the county board of Lenawee county and also-of the legislature of the state of Michigan, and for two terms register of deeds in this county, is a native of Erie county, New York, born Dec. z8, 1844, a son of Caleb and Caroline (Stewart) Parker. The father was a native of the state of Connecticut, born Aug. 2, 1791, and though he never aspired to public office he was a stanch adherent of the Whig party. He passed away in the Empire State, Oct. 23, 1858. The mother was also a native of Connecticut, born Sept. i3, 18or, and she, too, died in New York state, Oct. 7, i86o. Warren J. Parker, of this review, received his education in the district schools of his native county, and on Oct. ro, 1862, he enlisted in Company II, One Hundredth New York infantry, in which he served for three years. Though he enlisted as a private, he was promoted to the rank of corporal, in 1864, and to that of sergeant, in 1865, in which latter capacity he was serving when mustered out of the service at the close of the war. He was in the charge at Fort Wagner, Morris Island, S. C., was in the thickest of the fight at the battle of Drury's Bluff, Va., and participated in numerous other conflicts, and he was at Appomattox Court House when Lee surrendered to Grant. On Dec. 20, 1865, Mr. Parker was united in matrimony to Miss Adell E. Stowell, a native of Monroe county, New York, born Oct. g, 1847, daughter of Azariah ,and Phoebe Ann (Meyers) Stowell. In company with his young wife, Mr. Parker migrated to Michigan in 1867, locating in Tecumseh, this county, on March r, of that year, and there they resided for eighteen months. In November, 1868, he purchased a farm in the northwest portion of Woodstock township, Lenawee county, and there they continued to- make their home until 188o, when he bought another place composed of seventy-two acres, to which was added seventy-two more, in 1896, and upon this farm Mr. and Mrs. Parker still reside. Politically Mr. Parker is affiliated with the Republican party and he has ever been active in local politics. He has held the offices of town clerk, justice of the peace, and supervisc;r in the township of Woodstock; for four years was the incumbent of the register of deed's office of Lenawee county; and for two terms he represented his district in the lower house of the Michigan legislature. Religiously he is an adherent of the Baptist faith. Fraternally he is admirably affiliated in Masonic circles, being a member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 435, at Cement City, this county,; the Royal Arch Chapter at Brooklyn, Mich.; the Council at Manchester, Mich.; and the Knights Teniplars, Adrian Commandery, No. 4, and he is also a member of the Eastern Star at Cement City. He also belongs to the Grangers, the Knights of the Maccabees at Cement City, and the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. and Mrs. Parker have three sons: Ferdinando C., born April 4, 1874, married Miss Nina Derby, March 9, 1898, and is now a bookkeeper in the office of the Land Commissioner in the state capitol at Lansing, Mich.; Earl E., born Sept. 18, 1876, married Mamie Hubbard, now deceased, and is employed at general merchandising at Cement City; and Alvah C., born Feb. 5, 1885, graduated in the mechanical engineering course at the University of Michigan in June, 1gog. Two other sons died in their early years-Alvin, born Oct. 30, 1866, died Sept. 18, 1884; and James H., born Oct. 1o, 1868, expired Oct. 17, 1891. The subject of this record and wife also have three grandchildren-the children of Ferdinando C. and Nina (Derby) Parker: Helen, born Nov. 22, 1899; Marjorie, born Oct. 25, 1901, and Warren J., horn July 2, 1904. Steven Perry Browder, a prominent farmer of Woodstock township, this county, was born at North Star, Darke county, Ohio, Oct. 5, 1857, a son of Joseph M. and Mary (Stevens) Browder. The father, also a native of the state of Ohio, was a physician by occupation, receiving- his medical education in the office of Dr. Tumbleton, of Greene county, Ohio. He was born in 1833, was a resident of his native state during all of his days, and he passed away in Ohio, in 19o5. His wife, born at Jamestown, Greene county, in 1839, was the mother of thirteen children: A., of Verne, Cimarron county, Oklahoma; O. F., of Morton Grove, Ill.; John M., of Cleveland, Ohio; James P., of Forest Glen, Ill.; B. C., also of Forest Glen; S. 0., of Celina, Mercer county, Ohio; Alva B., of Willoughby, Cuyahoga county, Ohio; Eliza, of Darke county, in the same state; Steven Perry, of this review; Edgar and Eugene, now deceased, and two children, who died in infancy; all of whom were born in the Buckeye State. The subject of this record received his educational training in the district schools of his native state and then obtained employment as a section hand on the Lake Erie & Western railway. Later he was promoted to the responsible position of section foreman, in which capacity he continued to serve for seventeen years, and then he went west, where for five years he held the same position on the lines of the Union Pacific Railroad Company. Later he returned to his native state and purchased a small farm of eighteen acres, in Mercer county, where he' lived for three years, and then sold out and purchased forty acres of land in Paulding county, Ohio, on the Blue creek, where he continued to reside for seven years, after which he removed to the state of Michigan and located on a tract of land at Maniton Beach, Lenawee county, where he remained two years. He then sold this farm and purchased another of eighty acres in Woodstock township, this county, upon which he now resides. On Jan. 1, i88i, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Mead, daughter of Jacob and Caroline (Houser) Mead, to which happy union five children have been born-three daughters and two sons: Maud, born March 30, 1882, is the wife of George Lamb, and resides in Woodstock township on the old Chicago-Detroit turnpike; Lillian, born March 21, 1884, is Mrs. Perry Schultz, a resident of Paulding county, Ohio, and the mother of one child, Esther, born in November, 1906; Hazel, born May 18, 1891, is the wife of Donald Briggs, who resides on his parents' place, in the township of Woodstock; Steven Harold, born July 28, 1886, is a resident of Cement City, this county, and married to Mary Sanford; and Clinton Franklin, born Aug. a7, 1895, is now living with his parents on their farm in Woodstock township. Mrs. Browder, the wife of the subject of this sketch, is a native of Mercer county, Ohio, born at Celina, March 16, 1863, and there her parents resided for many years, her mother but recently passing away. Steven Perry Browder is a member of the fraternal society of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and in politics he is affiliated with the Republican party. Religiously he belongs to the church of the Disciples of Christ, with which he has been affiliated for more than thirty-three years. John A. Dillon, Jr., one of Hudson's enterprising and prosper ous young business men, was born in that city, Sept. 17, 1876. His parents were Terrence and Bridget (O'Reilly) Dillon, the father born in Troy, N. Y., 'May 27, 1835, and the mother in County Cavern, Ireland, March 12, of the same year. Mrs. Bridget Dil lon's parents were farmers in their native country and migrated to America and located in Michigan. Patrick Dillon, our subject's grandfather, was born in County Limerick, Ireland, was married to Bridget Farrell, also of the same county and village, came to this country and first located at Troy, N. Y., where he followed an agricultural life, and in the early days of Michigan calve to this state and located on government land, his first farm being near Litchfield; but eventually he located near Hudson, on the farm now owned by -his grandson, Frank J. Dillon. To Patrick Dillon and wife were born eight children, four of whom survive. The deceased children were Terrence-our subject's father-Thomas, Mary A. and Katherine; and those who survive are Ellen, who is Mrs. Patrick Cross, of- Hudson; Frank, who is farming near Hudson; Josephine, the wife of Hon. J. L. O'Mealy, circuit judge of Lenawee county, residing in Adrian ; and Hannah, who is the wife of Milo Perkins, of Toledo. Terrence Dillon received a common school education and his avocation throughout life was along lines of agriculture. His marriage to our subject's mother. was celebrated Feb. 24, 1861, and to them the following children were born Frank J., born Nov. 29, 186x, was first married to Anna Kelly, daughter of J. W. Kelley, a Medina township farmer, and of this marriage there was one child, Paul J. His second wife was Minnie Belcher, of Rollin township, and to them have been born two children-Leo and Helen. Frank J. is engaged in farming and occupies the old Dillon homestead in Hudson township. The second child, Catherine M., was born Sept. 12, 1864, is unmarried and is the proprietor of the Fine Arts Store at No. 418, Madison avenue, Toledo, Ohio. Mary Louise, born March 29, 1867, became the wife of Loren I. Barrett, a stock-raiser of - Hudson township, and to them have been born the following children: Norma A., born Oct. 24, 1890;- Lawrence A., born in December, 1892; Kenneth C., born Feb. 4, 1895; Mary E., born Feb. 5, 1897; George W., born Feb. 13, 1900; Katherine M., March 15, 1902; and Felice E., May 30, 19o5. The fourth child of Terrence Dillon was Ellen Elizabeth, born Aug. 11, 1870, and she is the wife of Dr. Harry Roberts, a dentist, of Lawrence, Kan. George Edward, born De 4, 1872, is married to Miss Nellie Dillon, daughter of Alonzo Dillon, a farmer of Prattville, Hillsdale county, but no relation to this branch of the Dillon family. George E. Dillon is a brakeman on the Cincinnati Northern railroad, and to him• and his wife have been born two children: Teresa L., born in June, 1898, and Charles C., born July 23, 1908. Henry T., born Feb. 24, 1874, is married to Miss Grace 'Darlington, daughter of Edward Darlington, of Redlands, Cal., and the following children have been born to them! Joseph R., born Nov. 26, Igoo; Elizabeth, Jan. 29, 19o2; Louise, Nov. 6, 1903; Mary A., Sept. 9, 1905, and James E., June 23, 1907. The seventh child is John A., who is the subject of this sketch. On Sept. 23, 1884, our subject's mother died, and during the latter part of that year Terrence Dillon sold his interest in his father's farm and rented a place in Hudson township, where he made his home till in 1890. In 1881 he retired from the farm and for the next few years assisted his son, Frank J., on the latter's farm. In 1897, he took unto himself a second wife, his union this time being with Mrs.-Anne Wheeler, widow of George Wheeler, and the year 1897 and a part of 1898 were spent in Hudson. In 1898, he purchased a farm in Hudson township, the farm known as "the William Hartley farm, and this was his home till 1903, when he sold out and again moved to Hudson. On Feb. 4, 1904, Terrence Dillon passed away at. the home of his daughter, Mrs. Mary Barrett, mourned by all who knew him. Like his father, he was a member of the Catholic church, and in politics he was a Democrat, but he was never an aspirant for public office. John A. Dillon, Jr., who is the immediate subject of this review, was educated at the public schools of Hudson, and after completing the courses there spent two years 'at the University of Notre Dame, at South Bend, Ind., where he diligently pursued a business course. For a short period after his school days were completed he was occupied in various callings, but in 1898 he was employed on the farm of Loren Lawrence, near Hudson. In the latter part of that year he gave up farm work and accepted a position in the shoe store of R. A. Beach, of Hudson, and was thus employed for the ensuing three years. In 1902, having served his apprenticeship in these varied enterprises, he decided to engage in business for himself, and with little capital he embarked in the business of selling farm implements and machinery. This line he so diligently followed, attended so strictly to business, and infused such energy in his calling that today he is one of the leading merchants of his native city and occupies one of the largest stores there. His business is the result of a small beginning, with wisely invested profits, and an energy and perseverance that cannot help but succeed. His store room is in the Weaver building, where he has two of the ground floor compartments, and his concern is known as "J. A. Dillon, Jr., Implement Business." There he handles all up-to-date farm implements and supplies, and Mr. Dillon is known far and wide as an, active, energetic and hustling business man-one who can be relied on in every way. Starting with practically nothing, seven years ago,and now doing one of the large volumes of business in Hudson, is a sufficient commentary on his ability and judgment. Politically Mr. Dillon is independent, having no time for courting -public office. His church is the Sacred Heart Catholic, of Hudson, -of which he is a devout member. On Oct. 17, 19o8, was celebrated the marriage of our subject and Miss Zola Harris, daughter of Lora and Edith (Sandford) Harris, early settlers and farmers of Woodstock township, their home having been near Addison. John Wesley Gunsolus, deceased, was born in Linter county, Pennsylvania, Aug. 12, 1854. His parents were Daniel and Nancy Gunsolus, both natives of Pennsylvania. The latter part of their lives was spent in this county, the mother passing away in 188o, and the father's death occurred in 1891. In 1884 Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Gunsolus located in Seneca township and lived there a few years. After selling their farm they moved into Adrian township, and purchased the flour mills, known as Hook's mill, and operated this business till 1887, at which time the concern was sold to their son, John W., and their final home was made in Fairfield township, at the village of Fairfield, where the elder Gunsolus conducted a hardware store till the time of his death. Seven children were born to them, John W., who is the subject of this review, being the fifth in order of birth. The others were Jane (Brittain), now living in Adrian; Ellen (Taber), deceased, William, deceased ; Lizzie (Baldwin) ; James I., now residing in Monroe; and Carrie (Buck), of Monroe. John Air. Gunsolus was educated in this county, and after his school days were completed he attended the Evans Business College, His first work was in and about his father's mill and then followed a period spent on the lakes, his officer being Captain Gotham. Returning home in 1887, he purchased his father's mill and this business held his attention for two years, at the end of which time the mill was sold and Mr. Gunsolus moved into the city of Adrian and opened a feed store. His location was on North Main street, where this line was continued for six years, and he finally sold to Decon Sears, and then Mr. Gunsolus entered the grocery business in the same block. Here he remained for a year and then sold out and bought the feed store at the cornier of Main and Church streets, which business he conducted till the time of his death, which occurred Nov. 9, 1905. At the time of entering his last business enterprise, the building he occupied was of frame a-nd quite old, but a new brick block was soon erected and Mr. Gunsolus took rank as a leader in his line. Success had attended all his efforts in life, and he passed away. having the respect of the entire community; and he is remembered by all as a man of integrity and honor. His family was always treated with the greatest kindness, and friends and strangers always met with courtesy and consideration at his hands. His death occurred in his fifty-second year, just at the time when he had so constructed his fortune and so lived his life that the years before him to fill out the days of "three score and ten," which should be our lot, were years he looked forward to with the greatest pleasure; and it can truthfully be said that his life was such that he will never be forgotten while there lives anyone who had the good fortune to be associated closely with hint. Politically he never aspired to hold public office, but he was importuned on several occasions to be a candidate for mayor and alderman. Had he accepted either of these offices his constituents would have been assured of an ad-ministration carefully conducted. Socially connected with the Blue lodge of Masonry, the Knights of the Maccabees, the Elks and the Knights of Pythias, he was a faithful attendant of their meetings and a firm believer in their principles. On Nov. io, 1881, iu the city of Adrian, was celebrated Mr. Gunsolus' marriage to Miss Lucy, daughter of Irving and Lydia Aldrich. Mr. and Mrs. Aldrich were natives of Utica, N: Y., who located in Adrian, where the father followed the carpenter's trade for a period, but latterly became a contractor and builder, and both the father and mother died here, the latter in 1861, and the former in March, 1904. Three children were born to them: Charles died at the age of seven; Clark, lives in. Adrian, and is in the employ of the Page Fence Company; and Lucy, wife of our subject, was born Dec. 4, 1857_ Her education was completed in the public schools 'of this city, and to her and her husband were born two children: Anna, born Nov. 28, 1882, graduated at the high school of this city and resides at home with her mother. The second child was Harry, born NOV. 21, 1884, and he died March 31, 1905. Harry had completed his school training, was a graduate of Brown's Business University, and had accepted a position as bookkeeper for Matthes & Son, of this city. His life had just begun, and his early conduct and business inclinations gave promise of a fine future; but the Great Destroyer gathered him in at the time his mother was taking the most pride in his manly qualities and industry, and when others were learning of his integrity and frankness-qualities inherited from both parents. Mrs. Gunsolus resides in Adrian, and is connected with the Ladies of the Maccabees. Miss Anna, the daughter, is a member of the Presbyterian church. Richard Kent, who died in the city of Adrian, Nov. 25, 1898, had been a resident of this county for sixty-two years, and he left a reputation and record that might be the envy of any citizen of this country. His reputation for right was builded on such substantial foundations and his record of life's service was so identified with progressiveness that he who follows his example will always be a leader among men. This worthy gentleman was born in Derry, Rockingham county, New Hampshire, Aug. 3, 1825, his father being Richard, Sr., and his mother, Lois (Fla) Kent. Both parents were natives of New England, the father having been born in Newburyport, Mass., Oct. 30, 1786, and the mother in Londonderry, N. H., April r, 1788, and the death of the latter occurred in Adrian, Jan. 7, 1876. Lois (Ela) Kent was the daughter of David and Nancy Ela, the father a native of Londonderry and the mother a daughter of Samuel Fisher, who came to this country in 1740. Samuel Fisher was a native of the North of Ireland, of Scotch parents, and he started for America in his twentieth year. His ship was known as the "Starved Ship," having been so scantily supplied with provisions that its passengers were put on short rations-one pint of oat-meal per day, with a proportionate amount of water. Richard Kent was born on a farm and was educated at the Londonderry Academy, at which institution he graduated. His life's work was begun as a teacher, but during his vacations and at divers other times he practiced surveying. His New Hampshire farm was located near Londonderry, and from that place his family was removed to Michigan, in 1835. His first and permanent location in this county was in Adrian township, and there he died in August, 1867. Political honors came to him in the new country, and he represented his county and district in the state senate, in 1852 and 1853. Locally he held the office of supervisor of his township, and was for several years township school inspector. Five sons and one daughter were born to the elder Dents, but all have departed from this life. Richard Kent, Jr., who is the subject of this review, was educated in his local township and finished his school work at the high school in Adrian. For seven years he taught school in this county, his schools being located in Wood-stock, Dover, Madison and Adrian townships. The profession of surveying was also given attention and during his school-teaching days he studied this work and assisted his father, and from his twenty-seventh year the work of surveyor and engineer became his principal occupation. In his youth he had assisted his father in clearing the farm, and at the death of his father he became the owner of the tract. This land has now been in the possession of the Kent family for seventy-four years. Politically Mr. Kent was a Democrat and was the candidate several times on that party's ticket for county surveyor, but he was beaten by his brother, Burton Kent, who was a Republican. The Republican party at that time had an overwhelming majority in this county, but Mr. Kent was elected to the office of supervisor of Adrian township, an office he filled for two terms, and later he was elected to the office of inspector of schools, holding this office for ten years. Several years prior to his death he left the farm and located in the city of Adrian, giving up all hard work and living a retired life. His life's work was well done, and the satisfaction of his labors was a solace to his declining days. Socially,, Mr. Kent was a Blue Lodge Mason, .and a regular attendant at the meetings of that order. New England was ever in his mind in the early days in this country, for his marriage occurred in Derry, N. H., Feb. 24, 1859. The lady whom he chose for a life companion was Ellen, daughter of Stephen arid Sally (Ela) Reynolds, both natives of Derry. Mr. Reynolds was a carpenter, born in 1767, and died in 1848, and his wife was born June 2, 1786, and died in September, 1861; to them were born eight children, -all of whom have passed away, but Mrs. Kent. This estimable lady was born in Derry, N. H., July 15, 1828, and to her and. her husband were born two children: Lucy M., nowMrs. Wellington, born July 5, 1861;. and Louise L., born Jan. 2, 1864, died July 22, 1898. Mrs. Wellington, the elder daughter, lives with her mother in this city, Mr. Wellington being an insurance agent, traveling throughout the West. Mrs. Wellington has one child-an adopted daughter-Helen M., whose birth date was May 5, 1893•

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com