History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 122



                                  Previous Page                    Page 1


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Ancil Keith Whitmore, deceased, held many offices in this county, and is remembered as a careful and efficient officer, always faithful to his trust, never shrinking in his duty, and he was a good friend to all. He was born in Conneaut, Ohio, June 27, 1828, and his parents were Daniel and Martha Whitmore, both of whom were natives of Massachusetts. The parents settled in Ohio at an early date and located in Conneaut, a part of the Western Reserve, the greater portion of whose early inhabitants were from New England. Conneaut was the home of this family till 1838, in which year the family moved to Michigan and settled in Hudson. Daniel Whitmore was a Baptist minister, and made that the principal work of his life, but he gave some attention to agriculture. After preaching-in Hudson for several years he removed to New Jersey, in which state he died in 1862, his wife returning to Adrian and spending her last days with her son; Ancil Whitmore, finally passing away in 1869. To this couple were born the following children, none of whom is living: Martha, Ancil, Sally, Daniel, Levi, John and Richard. Ancil Whitmore was educated in the district schools of Ohio and began his work in life as a shoemaker. This occupation was too confining, and his next work wa's with his brother, Daniel, on a farm. Quitting the farm, he went into the service of the Lake Shore railway, in the police department, and he became one of the detectives of that company, a position he held for eight years. Promotion came to him into the office. of the claim department, and the next few years were spent as claim agent. The service of his city next claimed his attention, and he served here as marshal for a period of seven years, and in 1884 he was elected to the office of county sheriff, a position he held for two terms. In 1889 he returned to the railway service and acted as claim agent up to the time of his death, which occurred May 22, 1893. Politically Mr. Whitmore was a Democrat, an ardent adherent to the principles of that party, and on the Democratic ticket he was elected to the offices spoken of. Socially he was connected with the Knights Templars, the Knights of Pythias, and the Odd. Fellows. On Aug. 26, i85o, occurred his marriage to Miss Martha B., daughter of James L. and Mary T. (Stokes) Stewart. Mr: Stokes was born in Pennsylvania in 1i94 and his wife was a native of Ohio. By trade Mr. Stokes was a machinist, and 'he came to Ohioin 1847, locating in East Liverpool, where he operated a mill for spinning and weaving wool. This occupation was followed till 1851, when he came to Michigan and located at Monroe for a time. His permanent home was Adrian, where he died in i88o, his wife having died in Ohio, in 1848. To this couple six children were born: Eliza Ann, who died when quite young; Maria Jane (Walker), who died May 9, 1908, in California; Mary Elizabeth (Craig) died in California in 1891; James A. died in infancy; Sarah Emily, deceased ; and Martha 13. was born in Pittsburg, March r8, 1835. Her education was obtained in the East Liverpool and Adrian schools. Of the children born to Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore, Charles H., born Sept. 6, 1868, is married and has one child, Ancil K. Charles Whitmore is located in the city of Toledo, and is traveling auditor for the Lake Shore railroad, a position he has held for twenty years. Two children died in infancy. John W. Ryan, deceased, for many years a valued and trustworthy employe of the Lake Shore railway and later landlord of the Bottsford Hotel, where he made many friends, was born in Limerick, Ireland, June 4, 1840. His parents were natives of that land, and there his brothers=Dennis, Patrick and Thomas--were born, lived and died. The parents died early in the '7os, many years after their son, John, came to America. At the age of sixteen, John 1V. Ryan, whose education thus far in life had been in the parish schools of his native county, came to this country and located first at Kalamazoo, in which city he learned the blacksmith's trade and made his home till 1871. In that year he removed to Adrian and entered the service of the Lake Shore railway as a blacksmith and mechanic, and he held this position for sixteen years. This time was well spent by John W. Ryan, and his service to the company was given with such a will and earnestness that his employers were quite unwilling to accept his resignation, tendered in 1887. His position with the railway was assured to him for life, but it was his desire to enter into business for himself, and in the last mentioned year a hotel was purchased near the Lake Shore station, and Mr. Ryan continued there as landlord till his death, Dec. 26, 1893. The hotel business was just suited to Mr. Ryan's taste and many were the friends made in this hostelry, his genial smile and ready wit making him good company. His disposition toward the public was kind, but his family was given a love, the recollection of which is dear to his widow. While in Kalamazoo he courted and won Miss Ellen, daughter of William and Bridget Ryan, and with her he was united in marriage in October, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. William Ryan were natives of Ireland, and their first stopping place in the new world was in New York city, where they remained for a short time. From New York they came to Washtenaw county, Michigan, where they farmed for several years, then moved into Ann Arbor for a period, and finally bought a farm in Van Buren county, near Paw Paw, where they spent their last days, the father passing away in 1867 and the mother in 1892. To them were born eight children: James Ryan, deceased; John, who now lives near Paw Paw and works the old home farm; Margaret (Hollahan), died in 1894; William, Mary and Catherine, deceased; Louise, who died at the age of twelve years; and Ellen, who married John Ryan. the subject of this sketch. Mrs. Ryan was born in New York, Oct. 23, 1841, but her education was received in Washtenaw county at the district school of her father's locality. -Since the death of her husband, Mrs. Ryan has lived in Adrian. Shortly after her husband's death, the hotel property was sold and Mrs. Ryan moved to the home they had when first they came to this city. Her church is the St. Mary's Catholic, of which Mrs. Ryan is a devout member, and she is also a member of the Rosary Society. Mrs. Ryan's last years have been very sad on account of the death of her husband and all their children. Three children-Mary, Frances and Rose-died in infancy, and Thomas, the eldest son, served his country during the Spanish war and was stationed in the Philippines. At the expiration of his services and while on his way home from those islands he was oveicome by. sickness in San Francisco and died in a sanitarium in that city. This sad event took place in 1903, and the news of his death was a double blow to his mother, as she knew he was safely through the perils of war and about to return to her. Victoria, who had reached the age of twenty-seven and was the idol of her mother, was the next member of the family to be taken. This daughter possessed such splendid qualities that any mother might have been proud of her. She held the position of bookkeeper for a business house in the city and her loss to them was great. Francis Ryan died at the age of three and one-half years. Mrs. Ryan was a good wife and an ideal mother, and her losses have given her the sympathy of all her friends and acquaintances. William H. Cheney, son of one of the pioneers of Fairfield township, an honest and upright man and a good citizen, was born in the above named township, July 12, 1847, and died at his home in Adrian, Jan. 30, 1903. His life followed the course of thrift, economy and industry, and, notwithstanding he was cut off in his prime, he had so established his fortune and reputation that he left his family well prepared for the battle of life and a name that has endured. His parents were John and Louisa (Finch) Cheney, the father a native of Tunbridge, Vt., where he was born, Sept. 4, 1802, and the mother was a native of Genoa, Cayuga county, New York, the date of her birth being May 3, 1807. The grandparents were John and Lucy (Finch) Cheney, the grandfather having been born in New Hampshire, in 1765, and the grandmother was born in 1770. When a young man the grandfather learned the shoemaker's trade, an avocation he pursued nearly all his life, and in 1803 he left New Hampshire and settled in Scipio, Cayuga county, New York, six years later taking up his residence in Parma, Monroe county, where he settled on a farm and there passed the remainder of his days, his death taking place in 1840. The grandparents were married in 1788, and to them were born ten children, John, Jr., the father of the subject of this review, being the eighth child and fifth son. John Cheney, Jr., received but little education, lived the first seven years of his life with his parents, and at the age of fourteen was laboring on a farm, working by the month. In 1829, he purchased a farm in Parma, N. Y., and this he tilled for four years and until in the spring of 1833, when he came to the Territory of Michigan and located in Madison township, this county. In 1847, this Madison township farm was sold and another farm was purchased in Fairfield township, section 13, and at a later period he acquired eighty acres in section 24, and seventy-five acres in Ogden township. His industry in early life presaged such a career and his accumulations were the result of his own labor, and in this last ac quired residence John Cheney, Jr., passed the remainder of his days. On Jan. 1, 1827, John Cheney, Jr., was united in marriage to Miss Louisa Finch, daughter of Ashabel, Sr., and Elizabeth Finch, of Cayuga county, New York. To this union were born nine children: Edward S., born at- Rochester, N. Y., July 9, 1828, died from disease contracted while in camp as a Union 'soldier in the Civil war, his death occurring March 24, 1863; Evelyn F., born in Parma, N. Y.; George P., born in this county and died Sept. 15, 1854; Delfina A. became the wife of William Jenkins and died April 17, 1879; Alpherous; Cullen T.; John N.; DeWitt B., who died April 7, 1864; and William H., who is the subject of this review. Mrs. Louisa (Finch) Cheney was born in Genoa, N. Y., and died in Fairfield township, July 31, 1879. Her father, Asahel Finch, Sr., was a native of New York, born at Catskill, Dec. 4, I77S, and died at Waukesha, Wis., in 1859. William H. Cheney's early education was obtained at the district school of his birthplace, and at the age of fourteen he commenced work on the farm. A man's labor was ap-portioned him, and never was there a task so arduous that he shirked. This farm work engaged his attention till the time of his marriage, and then he acquired some land of his own. There was a log house on his land and four acres had been cleared, but at the time of his retirement to the city the entire tract had been cleared, new buildings erected, and the whole appearance of his property had been changed. His, house and its surroundings were attractive to the eye and had been carefully planned. In politics Mr. Cheney was a Republican, but never an office-seeker. His friends had, on several occasions, solicited him to run for office, but he always declined. However, he served his township for several years as a member of the school board. The year before his death he removed to the city of Adrian and left the old homestead in care of his son, but in January, 1903, he passed away. Mrs. Harriet Cheney, who became the wife of William Cheney, Nov. I, 1874, is the daughter of Seth and Amelia (Luther) Walker, of Fairfield township. Mr. Walker was a wheelwright by occupation in his early life, but later located on a farm in Fairfield township, and ever afterward lived there. Mr. Walker died April 5, 1881, and his widow has since made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Cheney. There were five children born to them: Harriet; George W., born April 29, 1862, died May 9, 1863; Henry J., born Jan. 17, 1865, died at the age of ten months; Chloe A. (Heckert), born Nov. 5, 1867, is living in Fairfield township; and Mina A. (Harsh), horn Jan. 18, 1871, died July 22, 1go8. Mrs. Cheney was born April 9, 1854, and was educated in the district schools of Fairfield township. To her and her husband were' born five children : Ora L., born July 25, 1875, living on the old homestead, married and has one child, William E. Asa F. and Ara J., twins, were born December 23, 1877, and both live in Adrian; Asa is married and has one child, Hilda, but Ara lives with his mother. The fourth child, Della Amelia, born April 20, 1883, died Aug. 30, I8go; and Mina L., born Jan. I, 1889, lives at home and is a graduate of the Adrian High School in the class of 19P7, and at the present time she is teaching school in Fairfield township. Mrs. Cheney is the owner of the Fairfield township farm, lives in the city of Adrian, and is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church of that place. Richard D. Hatch, who lived in Adrian for nearly forty years, and whose musical ability did much for the education and entertainment of his fellow townsmen and brethren, was born in England, Aug. 28, 1828, of English parentage. His father, also named Richard, died previous to the summer that the son was born, and the mother passed away in I83r. There were six children in this family: William, George, John, Edward, Ann and Richard D., none of whom are living. The early training of Richard D. Hatch was along academic and musical lines, but his decided inclination for music led him to develop that great branch of education, and soon .he became a leader in musical circles. His specialty was cornet playing and on this intricate instrument he became a leader. However, he was an accomplished player of the flute and had a skilled knowledge of other instruments. Early in the fifties he left his home country and settled in New York city, where he made his home till the beginning of the Civil war. Notwithstanding the fact of his recent adoption into this new country, his loyalty to the flag that called to him from over the seas was such that he unhesitatingly gave his service and was in the army from the beginning of the war_ till its close. As a private in Company G, Twentyfirst cavalry of New York, he enlisted, but before. joining his regiment he was transferred to the brigade band, and the last years found him in the branch of the army that does so much to cheer the spirits of the men. Music is now a recognized part of military life, and the service of the "band boys" was an important factor in the Civil war. Mr. Hatch's years in New York were spent with a clothing house, and he became an expert tailor. Immediately after the close of the war he came to Adrian and opened a merchant tailoring establishment, and he conducted this business till .a few years before his death, which occurred May 22, 1902. Mr. Hatch was a very successful business man and built for himself a fine business and prospered. His musical ability was soon recognized in this section and he became the leader of "Hatch's Band," an organization that won renown and was praised wherever its music was heard. Like so many of his comrades, Mr. Hatch was broken in health at the close of the war, and his peculiar infirmity finally caused his death, in 1902. So uncomplainingly did he bear his illness, never expressing regret for his service in the army nor speaking disparagingly of his comrades, that he was considered an ideal patriot. Shortly before his death he took a dimit from the Grand Army of the Republic here, but his health never permitted his removal. In business he was careful and conservative and made many friends; his social and musical qualities won for him great renown, and his funeral was attended by his organizations and all his friends in the city. His pall-bearers were selected from his comrades, and F. J. Buck, D. B. Morgan, George W. Fleming, George D. Austin, Levi Salsbury and David Stockwell bore this soldier and hero to his final tenting ground. The Adrian Band Association attended in a body and played the dirges that were taught them by the leader they were then honoring; the members of the Grand Army of the Republic accompanied the body to the grave, and thus was laid away the remains of one whom the whole population had delighted to honor in his lifetime and who was mourned by all at the time of his death. On March 31, 1853, shortly after Mr. Hatch's arrival in America, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary E., daughter of Nathan and Jerusha (Mapes) Ferris, of Geneva, N.. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Ferris were natives of New Jersey, followed farming, and were the parents of eight children: Mary E., John, William N., Homer E., Sarah A., Elizabeth A., Louisa J., and Caroline A. Mrs. Hatch was born in Yates county, New York, and received her early education in the district schools of her locality. To her and her husband was born one child, Mata A., who married John D. Alsop, in 1873. Mr. Alsop was born in England, May 4, 1832, located in America in 1854, and settled in Dyersville, Iowa. In this place he prospered, was thrice elected mayor and also represented his district in the state legislature. His profession was in the law, and at the time of his death, March 21, 1904, he had built up a large and lucrative practice. The Episcopal church of his local town had been erected after he located there, and he was prominent as a promoter and assistant in that institution's growth and development. At his request his funeral was held in the church he practically founded. Mrs. Alsop resides in Dyersville, Iowa. Mrs. Hatch resides in Adrian, is a member of the Methodist church, and is very much interested in the work of the Foreign Missionary Society, and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. Leroy Onweller, who is one of the enterprising farmers and popular citizens of Seneca township, is a son of William Onweller, of whom specific mention is made on other pages of this work, so that a further resume of the family history is not demanded in the present sketch. Leroy Onweller was born in Chesterfield township, Fulton county, Ohio, Dec. 6, 1874, and is a scion of old and honored pioneer families of that section of the Buckeye commonwealth. He was reared to maturity in his native township, where he early began to assume definite responsibilities in connection with work on the old homestead farm, and to the public schools of that locality he is indebted for his early educational training. After leaving school he continued to assist in the work of the home farm, and thereafter he rented the place for two years. His parents came to Lenawee county, Michigan, in 1897, and took up their residence in the village of Morenci, and in 1899 he himself became identified in an active way with the agricultural industry in this county, since in that year he purchased from Warner Gee his present farm of sixty-one acres, in section 4, Seneca township, where he has since been successfully established as a general farmer and stock-grower. Mr. Onweller and his wife reside in the home of the latter's father, whose farm adjoins that of our subject. In his political allegiance, Mr. Onweller is a stanch Republican and shows a loyal interest in all that concerns the general welfare of the community. For the past four years he has served as school director of district No. 7. He enjoys marked popularity in his home township and is a man of progressive ideas and distinctive business acumen. Fraternally, he is affiliated with the Morenci Lodge, Knights of Pythias. On Oct. 21, 1896, Mr. Onweller was united in marriage to Miss Jennette B. Merritt, only child of Adelbert and Ella M. (Kennedy) Merritt, of Seneca township. Both Mr. and Mrs. Merritt were born in Ohio. Adelbert Merritt is the subject of a separate review in this volume, where his biographical record is set forth. Since the death of Mrs. Merritt, who passed away March 31, 1907, Mr. and Mrs. Onweller have made their home with her father, and here Mrs. Onweller presides over the domestic affairs of their attractive home. To Mr. and Mrs. Onweller has been born one son, Carl Adelbert, the date of his birth being June 5, 1901. Edgar Morse, deceased, a native of this county and one whose steadfast will and courage as a champion of right will always be remembered, was born in Fairfield township, Sept. 2, 1852. His parents were among the earliest settlers of this community, and when his mother died, April 2, 1909, she had been a resident of this section seventy-seven years. His parents were Lorenzo D. and Sylvia (Baker) Morse, both of whom were born in New York state, the father, Aug. 14, 1814, and the mother, April 15, 1828. Lorenzo Morse came to this country in 1831, and settled in Fairfield township. His trade was that of carpenter, and this he followed most of his life. He was also a tailor, and during the first few years in this section he worked at that trade, but the greater part of his time was spent in the building business. His last days were on a farm in Fairfield township, where his death occurred April 17, 1888. Shortly after his arrival in this county, the boundary dispute between Michigan and Ohio arose, and Lorenzo Morse was a lieutenant of a Michigan company, called out by the governor to maintain the Michigan contention as to the proper boundary line. To Lorenzo Morse and wife were born four children: Alonzo, living in Fairfield township; Rufus B., living in Ogden township; Laura, of Fairfield, and Edgar, who is the subject of this review. Edgar was educated in the schools of Fairfield village, and shortly after completion there, he began to teach and continued this profession till 1876, in which year he went to Iowa and worked on a ranch owned by his uncles. There he remained for a year, and then returned to Fairfield, and again followed the school work. Soon he became a partner in the firm of A. Morse and Company. and as a photographer traveled throughout Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania. In 1882 he returned to his home county and took up his residence on the farm. Politically he held many offices, among which ' number he was elected treasurer of Fairfield township, and also supervisor, an office he held for thirteen years. He was a member of the county Democratic committee, an organization in which he actgd as chairman, secretary and treasurer at different times. In the fall of 1898 he was appointed superintendent of the poor, an office he held at the time of his death, Aug. 17, 1908. In 1897, he was elected secretary of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of this locality, and he filled this office with great credit to himself, and his service was much appreciated by those associated with him, Socially he was a member of the Masonic order. His disposition in his family was loving and his kindness extended not only to his people, but to all with whom he had relations. On Dec. 8, 1874, he espoused Miss Julia Crelley, daughter of Thomas and Julia (Sagriff) Crelley, of Fairfield township. Thomas Crelley and wife were natives of Ireland, but settled here at an early day. Their first location was in Jonesville, Hillsdale county, where they remained but a short time, and then moved into Seneca township, Lenawee county, where they .located on a farm. From there they moved to Fairfield township and resided several years, finally retiring to a home in the city of Adrian. Mr. Crelley died in Milwaukee, March 17, 1904, his wife having preceded him ten years. To them were born eight children : Rose (Crelley) Boyd, living in Minneapolis, Minn.; Peter Crelley, farming in Fairfield township; Jane (Crelley) Woodard, of Fair-field township; Sarah (Crelley) Freeman, now living in Cleveland, Ohio; Nicholas, living in Adrian; Thomas died in 1879; John died at the age of two years; and Julia, who became the wife of our sub-ject. Mrs. Morse was born in Jonesville, Hillsdale county, Michigan, Oct. 15, 1855, and to her and her husband were born nine children: Ralph E., born Jan. 9, 1877,-lives in Adrian; Frank D., born March 31, 1878, resides in Madison township on a farm; Sylvia (Cheney), born Oct. 17, 1879, lives on a farm in Ogden township; Lorenzo, born Jan. 5, 1883, resides in Adrian and is employed as a switchman by the Lake Shore railway; Glen L., born June 6, 1885, is a fence weaver in the factory at Crawfordsville, Ind. ; Earl, born Jan. 6, 1887, makes his home in Minneapolis, Minn.; Floy L., born May 22, 1889, also lives in Minneapolis; Estell, born March 25, 1891 ;,and Edgar, Jr., born Jan. 2, 1896, live at home; and Ralph E., the eldest child, enlisted as a soldier in Company B, Thirty-first Michigan infantry, during the Spanish-American war, and at the present time works for the Michigan Fence Company. Adelbert Merritt, who for more than half a century has made his home in Seneca township and is regarded as one of the leading citizens of that community, is a native of Ohio, where he was born Aug. II, 1853. When he was five months old his parents, Conrad and Hannah (Terry) Merritt, came to this county, and here they spent the remainder of their days. The parents were natives of the Empire State and had located in Ohio for a time previous to their arrival in Michigan. The senior Merritt purchased a farm of eighty acres in Seneca township, and remained on this land till his death, which occurred Sept. 6, 19ao. Mrs. Hannah Merritt, our subject's mother, preceded her husband to the grave, passing away, Feb. 7, 1895, in her eightieth year, her birth date having been June 18, 1815. To them had been born seven children, but two of whom, Adelb.ert and William, now survive. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Seneca township, and early in life began to assist in the work on his father's farm, and there his apprenticeship in agriculture was served. On Oct. 15, 1876, was celebrated the nuptials of Mr. Merritt and Miss Ella M. Kennedy, who was the daughter of Roland and Jennette Kennedy, the former a native of Windsor, Mass., where he was born March 3, 1832, and the latter was a native of Fulton county, Ohio, born April 5, -1836, the second child of the family. Roland Kennedy came to this state with his parents in 1837, and the first home was chosen in Hillsdale county, where the family resided for a period of five years. Later a temporary residence was made in Ohio, near the Michigan line, and in 1855 a permanent residence was made in Seneca township, where agriculture and stock-raising and buying was followed till 1876, when a residence was taken up in Morenci, and there the business of stock-buying was carried on more extensively. Mr. Kennedy's business methods were such as to win him hosts of friends and he ever had the regard of his fellow men. He was a member of the Disciple church, fraternally 'he had membership in the Masonic order, and he was an active worker in the local branch of the Grange. His death occurred Jan. 2, 1902, and the tribute paid to him by his friends and the brethren of his lodges was significant of the esteem and veneration in which he was held. Mrs. Jennette Kennedy departed this life, March 19, 1868. Mrs. Ella Merritt, wife of our subject, was born Sept. 20, 1859, and died March 31, 1907, and is mourned by her family and neighbors as a woman of loving character and charitable traits. To Mr. and Mrs. Merritt was born one daughter, Jennette B., born July 17, 1879, the wife of Leroy Onweller, of Seneca township. Mr. Merritt lives on his homestead farm of ninety-four acres, in Seneca township, and since the death of his wife his daughter and son-in-law have made their home with him. Ladd J. Lewis, president and general manager of the Adrian Knitting Company, was born at Orangeville, Wyoming county, New York, Dec. 22, 1845, the third child and eldest son of John L. and Lois (Squier) Lewis, natives of Rhode Island and New York, respectively. The members of the Lewis family participated prominently in the Revolutionary war, one of them serving on General Washington's staff, and since that period they have always borne an active part in all local affairs of the community in which they lived. The family lineage, so far as can be traced, dates back to 1661, when John Lewis migrated to America from Wales and settled at Westerly, R. I., the line descending from him as follows: (i)John, (2) Samuel, (3) Jonathan, (4) Jonathan, (5) Jonathan, (6) Moses, (7) John L., and (8) Ladd J., the subject of this review. John L. Lewis was born at Exeter, R. I., May 1, 1811, in the same house in which were born his father, in 1779, and his grandfather, in 1752, and which historic homestead was erected in 1740, by Jonathan, of the fourth generation, and which now (1909) is occupied as a residence. John L. went to Orangeville, N. Y., in 1818, with his parents and there he spent the remainder of his life, his death occurring Jan. 24, 1889, at Johnsonburg. His wife, Lois (Squier) Lewis, was born at Mentz, Cayuga county, New York, Aug. 27, 1819, daughter of Gurdon and Dolly (Foster) Squier, her death occurring Nov. 5, 1goo, at Johnsonburg. Her maternal grandfather, Jonathan Foster, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, and participated in the battle of Bunker Hill. Her father was with General Scott in the battle of Lundy's Lane, in the war of 1812, and was taken prisoner when the American forces surrendered to the British. Ladd J. Lewis, the subject of this sketch, was born and . reared on a farm, and at the age of fifteen was hired out to neighboring farmers by his father, as was the custom in those days, and the hard-earned money of the son was paid to the parents. This condition of affairs -in the life of young Ladd J. continued until he was twenty-one years of age. His education was acquired at the district schools, through his attendance during the summer and winter months until he was thirteen years of age, when he was permitted the advantage of the winter months only till the age of sixteen. This schooling was then supplemented by one term at Genesee Seminary, Alexander, N. Y., after which he taught district school for three winters. Then he entered Eastman's Business Col-lege, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., in which he graduated in 1866. His business career was begun as a clerk for a manufacturer of agricultural implements at Clayville, Oneida county, New York, where he remained until 1868. He then removed to Grand Rapids, Mich., and became interested in the manufacture of agricultural implements with Henry S. Smith & Company, continuing there for fifteen years. During his residence there he became actively interested in public affairs, serving six consecutive years on the board of education and for two years was its president. Twice he was offered the nomination for mayor on the Republican ticket by the local leaders of the party and once for the legislature, but he steadfastly refused these honors, valuing business more than political preferment. In 1884 Mr. Lewis sold his business interests in Grand Rapids and moved to New Hartford, Oneida county, New York, where he purchased an interest in the Utica Tool Company, located at Washington Mills, and later he became interested with his son in the ownership and management of a knitting mill at Sauquoit, N. Y. In 1900 he closed out his interests in New York state and returned to Michigan, purchasing the property now so well and favorably known as The Adrian Knitting Company, at Adrian. Under Mr. Lewis' management the business has rapidly increased, until now about 150 people are employed, and the mill's products find a ready market in all parts of the United States. Though Mr. Lewis has been a resident of Adrian only since 1goo, he has established himself as one of the Maple City's enterprising and honorable business men. In 19o3 he purchased the finely equipped and modern residence property at I\To. 4 Division street, the former home of Rial Clay, and which is one of the hospitable homes of the city.. While a resident of New Hartford, N. Y., Mr. Lewis was elected to the board of supervisors for three years and also to the board of education for six years. Fraternally Mr. Lewis has membership in Adrian Lodge, No. Ig, Free and Accepted Masons; Adrian chapter, No. io, Royal Arch Masons; Adrian council, No. I8, Royal and Select Masters; and Adrian commandery, No. 4, Knights Templars. He is also a member of Council No. 70, Royal Arcanum, Utica, N. Y. He was an active member of the Presbyterian church at New Hartford while a resident of that place, and while he has not affiliated with any church association in this city, nevertheless he is a devout Christian, and a true follower of the principles of religion. He is an enthusiastic admirer of substantial literature, as is attested by the fine historical library which adorns his pleasant home, and he takes a profound interest in all movements which look to the furtherance of the intellectual, moral and spiritual well-being of his fellow men. On Sept. 22, 1870, he was married to Miss Alice M. Eldridge, daughter of Samuel S. and Samantha (Gill) Bailey Eldridge, of Warsaw, N. Y., and six children blessed this happy union: Ladd J., Jr., Helen L., Nellie Lois, Alice Louise, Eldridge E., and Frances E. Ladd J. Lewis, Jr., was born July 5, 1871; married Miss Frances E. Campbell, and has three children-Myron C., Catherine L. and Campbell E. He resides at Sanquoit, N. Y., is one of the substantial and successful business men of the Empire State, and a resident of the legislative district from whence hail Vice-President Sherman and United States Senator Elihu Root; and he is now (I9o9) serving his third term in the state legislature. Helen L. was born Nov. I, 1872, and died Oct. II, 1875. Nellie Lois was born Aug. 5, 1876, became the wife of Frank II. Williams, and was the mother of three children-Lois M., Roger L. and Helen M. Her death occurred Aug. 23, 1905, at Adrian. Alice Louise was born Dec. 15, 1878, and on Oct. 7, 1909, she became the wife of J. Leighton Bush, deputy clerk of Lenawee county. Eldridge E. was born June 10, 1891, and died July 20, of the same year. Frances Eldridge was born June 22, 1893, and is attending the high school, in the class of 1911. Mrs. Alice (El-dridge) Lewis was born in Gainesville, Wyoming county, New York, Jan. 8, 1848, her death occurring at her home in Adrian, June 16, 1907. She was a loving wife, a devoted mother and a woman of excellent traits of character, which endeared her to her family and. a wide circle of friends. On July I, 1909, Mr. Lewis was mar-ried to Miss Julia A. Saltsman, of Utica, N. Y., a native of Oneida county, born Sept. 5, 1859, daughter of Nathan and Elizabeth Saltsman. John M. Burke, who is an honored member of the bar of Lenawee county, but who is now giving his attention principally to the management of his fine farm, is a scion of stanch German ancestry and is himself a native of the great empire which has given to America such a valuable element of citizenship. He was born in the kingdom of Wurttemberg, Germany, June 25, 1846, and is a son of George and Mary (Weichmer) Burke, both of whom were likewise natives of Wurttemberg, where the former was born in 1818. In 1852, when the subject of this sketch was a lad of six years, his parents severed the ties which' bound them to their father-land and immigrated to America. On the voyage to the new world the little family circle was broken and rendered desolate by the death of the devoted wife and mother, who was buried at sea. George Burke brought his children westward and established his home on a pioneer farm in Noble county, Indiana, where he passed the remainder of his life, which was one of signal usefulness and honor. After becoming a naturalized citizen he espoused the cause of the Democratic party, of whose principles he ever afterward continued a stanch advocate. He and his wife were members of the German Lutheran church. Of their six children the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth, and of the number only one other is living-Louisa, who is the wife of Joshua Donate, of Toledo, Ohio. John M. Burke passed his boyhood and early youth on the old homestead farm in Noble county, Indiana, where his early educational discipline was secured in the common schools. He' was ambitious for a higher education and finally was enabled, through his own efforts, to provide for the completion of a course in Adrian College, at Adrian, Mich., in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1872, and from which he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts. For twenty-five years he followed the pedagogic profession, in which he met with marked success. His teaching was principally in the public schools of Ohio, though he was similarly engaged for short intervals in the states of Minnesota and North Dakota. Finally he came to Lenawee county, where he was admitted to the bar, for which he had prepared himself by careful and prolonged study under effective preceptorship, and he instituted the active practice of his profession in the village of Morenci, but later he event to what is now the state of North Dakota, where he secured a tract of land and engaged in farming. He also taught for a time in that state, as well as in Minnesota, and was admitted to the bar of the former state. He there continued his residence tintil 1897, when he returned to Morenci. In the spring of that year he purchased his present farm, and he has since given his at-tention principally to the management of the same, which is devoted to diversified agriculture and to the raising of high-grade live stock. He has made excellent improvements on his fine homestead and the same is one of the valuable and attractive farms of this favored section of the Wolverine commonwealth. A stanch adherent of the Democratic party, Mr. Burke has given an intelligent and active support to its cause, in which he has rendered effective service. He was for four years a member of the village council of Morenci, and he also served for several years as justice of the peace and notary public. He is affiliated with the Morenci lodge and chapter of the Masonic fraternity and with the lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, at Staples, Minn. He and his wife are zealous members of the Baptist church, and while a resident of Minnesota he served for a time as trustee of the church at Sauk Rapids, where he also held the position of superintendent of the Sunday school. On Aug. ro, I875, Mr. Burke was united in marriage to Miss Kate Louise Clark, who was born in Fulton county, Ohio, and who is a daughter of Edward and Louisa (Forncrook) Clark, both natives of New York state. Mr. Clark, who was a brick mason by trade, removed from the old Empire State to Ohio in 1846, and located in Fulton county, where he remained until 1854, when he took up his residence in Morenci, Mich. Here he engaged in the manufacture of brick, with which enterprise he continued to be identified until his death, which occurred in this village, April 25, 1897. His wife died Oct. 5, 1893. Both were members of the Baptist church and Mr. Clark was a Democrat in his political proclivities. Mr. and Mrs. Burke have one daughter, Helen Marie, who remains at the parental home. Henry D. Winte, proprietor and editor of the Blissfield Advance, was born in Fort Wayne, Ind., Aug. 23, 1872, the son of John D. and Johanna (Hoineyer) Winte. Both parents were born near Carlsbad, Germany, and came to this country when young, and were married here. The father was employed by the Pennsylvania lines of railroad for forty-two years, and in igor was retired on a pension by a grateful corporation. The mother died in Fort Wayne, in 1904, and the father, who is now eighty-three years of age, makes Fort Wayne his home. Of the family of four sons and two daughters, two sons and the daughters survive. Henry D. Winte, the subject of this review, and the youngest child of his parents, graduated at the Fort Wayne High School in the class of 1888. For some time thereafter he carried papers in his native city and there learned the printer's trade. For eleven years he was employed on the Fort Wayne Sentinel in various capacities, and then became advertising manager of the Milwaukee Sentinel. He left Milwaukee to accept a like position with the Indianapolis Sentinel, remaining on the latter paper for seven years. During the four years im-mediately following he was one of the traveling representatives of the A. N. Kellogg Newspaper Syndicate of Chicago, and then for two years was advertising manager on the Fort Wayne News. On Jan. 5, 1906, he came to Blissfield and purchased the Blissfield Advance, of which he has since been the proprietor and editor. He is independent of party in his political faith, and his paper as an independent organ has been most influential in placing in office worthy men irrespective of their party. The paper is now in its thirty-seventh successful year. Fraternally Mr. Winte is identified with Blissfield Lodge, No. 114, Free and Accepted Masons. On Aug. 23, 1903, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Clara Hanker, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles F. Hanker, of Fort Wayne, Ind. To them have been born two children: Henry C., June 30, 1904, and Ruth Virginia, April 2, igo6. Lewis Cass Baker, one of the leading citizens of Adrian township, was born on the farm which he now owns and which his father reclaimed from the wilderness, Feb. IS, 1844. His father was Norton Baker, who was born in the state of New York, Dec. 9, 1802, and his mother was Almeda (Howland) Baker, also a native of the Empire State, born in Manchester, Dec. 6, 1812. The paternal grandfather, Joseph M. Baker, was a native of Massachusetts, born Feb. 19, 1780. In his infancy his parents removed to Rutland county, Vermont, where the son grew to manhood. In 1800 he left home and went to Ontario county, New York, where he engaged in agriculture. In the spring of 1833 he came to Michigan and settled in Rome township, Lenawee county, where he purchased a farm and passed the remainder of his life, his.death occurring May 27, 1872. In i8oi he was united in marriage, at Phelps, N. Y., to Miss Sally Cruthers, who was born in Half Moon, N. Y., in 1778. She became the mother of eleven children-six sons and five daughters. Her death occurred at the old homestead in Rome township, Sept. 15, 1851. Norton Baker, the father of Lewis Cass Baker, was the first born of this .honored couple, and he was married to Miss Almeda Howland, in Ontario county, New York, Sept. 12, 1830. His wife was a daughter of Jonathan and Mary Howland. Her parents were of New England ancestry for several generations, her father having been born in Adams, Mass., in 1789, and her mother in Gloucester, R. I., in 1786. They migrated to Michigan in 1846 and settled on a farm in Adrian township, the mother dying in September, of the same year, and the father in 1871. When Norton Baker came to Michigan and selected a site for a home along the banks of Wolf creek, the wilderness was supreme and his tract was cleared and cultivated at the expense of great labor and privation. The quarter section was obtained direct from the government at an expense of $1.25 per acre. Norton Baker first came to this country to explore, and then returned to New York, but his next trip to Michigan was with his family, and this county became his permanent home. His industry soon cleared sufficient of the land for tilling purposes, the family became nicely established, in a-few years he became a leader in his neighborhood, and as justice of the peace for his township, he passed upon the affairs of his fellow men and adjusted their differences. In addition to this office, lie, at various times, served as commissioner of highways, and his work was more than satisfactory to his constituents. His death occurred in his seventy-ninth year, and he is remembered as one of the good citizens who made law and order possible in this new country. Of his marriage to Almeda Howland were born ten children: Sarah M., who became the wife of Dr. W illard Perkins, but recently deceased; Isaac H., who died in his twentieth year; Ellen L., who became the wife of George Gambee, of Adrian; Lois A., who died in her fifteenth year; Mary E., who became the wife of George Hunt, and now deceased; Roxanna I., deceased, aged eleven; Lewis C., subject of this review; Frank I., died in 1862, aged sixteen years; Almeda A., died in her fifth year; and Ava E., born Oct. 25, J854. Norton Baker died March 15, 1880, and his wife died Feb. 26, 1897. Lewis C. Baker attended the district schools of Adrian, township and finished his education at Adrian College. His life's work has been in the line of agriculture and great success has come to him in this pursuit. His father had been careful and painstaking, and the lessons learned from the sire and the supplementary reading on agricultural subjects have given to the son a prestige that makes him an authority on land tilling. The Baker homestead comprises 340 acres of fertile land and in point of landscape is one of the most attractive in the county. The buildings are of the most substantial construction and are equipped with the most modern conveniences. In politics, Mr. Baker is a Democrat and follows his party on all issues. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1878 and supervisor of his township in i88o, serving in that capacity for seven years. In 18go he was elected a member of the state legislature. In 1893 he was elected a director of the Farmers' Mutual Insurance Company, of Lenawee county, and was made president in 1902, after serving nine years as director. Socially Mr. Baker is a Mason, a member of the Blue lodge, the Chapter and Commandery. His lodges are at Adrian and as often as possible their meetings are attended by him. His locality is not neglected, and he is a member of Wolf Creek Grange, No., 708. On Jan. 9, 1868, occurred his marriage to Miss Mary Jane Thomas, daughter of Henry and Louisa (Rider) Thomas, of Adrian township. Mrs. Mary Jane (Thomas) Baker was born in this county, Feb. 20, 1850. Her parents were both natives of Orleans county, New York, and came to Michigan, with their respective parents, about 1833. Three children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Baker: Kate I., born Feb. 7, 1874, is the wife of W. H. Knight, Jr.; Norton, born April 23, 1877, is married to Miss Mattie Starin, and has three children-Mary, who died in infancy, Louise and Ruth; Maude lone, born May 18, 1879, is the wife of Edward Kohler, residing in Adrian township, and has a son, Louis Edward, aged six years. Fred G. Gippert, who was born June 29, 1837, and passed away in his thirty-sixth year, just at the time when his integrity and ability were earning for him a name in this city, was descended from German parents who settled in this country in 1833. Our subject's father and mother were Fred and Christina Gippert, and their first home in the United States was in Maryland, where Fred, Jr., was born. In that state the family lived till 1840, and during that year located in Adrian, where the father was employed as a machinist by the Lake Shore railway, and he remained with that organization until shortly before his death. To him and wife were born five children, of which number Fred, our subject, was the eldest. The others are William, who lives in Jackson; John, now living in Arkansas; Marguerite (Ripp), now residing in Adrian; and Michael, who lives in Adrian, and is employed in the water works department of the city. Fred G. Gippert was educated in the schools of Adrian, and after his school days were completed, he began life's work as a fireman for the Lake Shore railway. So rapid was his advancement and such ability did he display, that he was, at the age of eighteen, promoted to the responsible position of engineer, and was known along the line of this road as the "Boy Engineer." After seven years of service on this road, he resigned and was appointed engineer att the blast furnaces in the city of Adrian, and in that plant he met with the accident that resulted in his death. His hand was caught in some machinery and crushed, the accident being followed by blood poisoning, and lock-jaw ensued, resulting in his death, Aug. 6, 1872. His life was wholesome, and his friends and acquaintances had ever the remembrance of a man of steadfast purpose, and one whose example was a good one to follow. His services were rendered to his employers with an enthusiasm that made him valuable. His life's work was given to two firms, resigning from the service of the first to accept a position that would give him more time for his family, and the remainder of his days were spent with the company in Adrian. On Jan. i6, i86o, occurred his marriage to Miss Margaret Kuenzel, daughter of George and Kathrine Kuenzel, natives of Germany. Her father was a baker by trade, and lived and died in Germany. Seven children were born to the Kuenzel family: John, who came to America, and died in the city of Adrian, in 1907; Andrew, who lives in Germany; Frederick, living in Germany; Wolf, deceased; Barbara, living in the old country; Antonio, now residing in Toledo, and Marguerite. Mrs Gippert was born in her father's home country, May 18, 1836, and there she was educated. In her eighteenth year she came to America, making the trip alone. Her brother, John, had come to this country a few years before, had written for her and met her at New York. After being in this country five years, she became the wife of our subject, and their married life was the happy portion of her years in the new country. To her and her husband were born six children: Anna B. (Cook), born Nov. 12, 1861, died in 1907; John died in infancy; Fredrick died at the age of three years; George W., born Sept. i, 1867, makes his home in Kansas City, Mo., and operates a restaurant; Elizabeth C., deceased; and Marguerite (Lorimer) is living in Adrian. Elizabeth C. (Gippert) Critchel was the mother of two children, Esther and Ellsworth, the former making her home with the wife of our subject. Mrs. Gippert is a member of the Lutheran church, of Adrian, and resides at No. 12, Frank street, in that city. E. W. Allis, whose advanced ideas on matters pertaining to horticulture are giving him a prominence among people interested in that branch of land tilling, is a native of this county, born in Rome township, March 27, 1853. His parents were Edward P. and Hannah (Jennings) Allis, both natives of the state of Massachusetts, but the mother's birthplace was so near the New York line that practically all her Eastern life was spent in the last named state. The elder Allis was born Feb. 9, 1819, and his wife, Aug. 6, 1821. Their marriage was celebrated in Hudson, April 2, 1851. Edward P. Allis located in this county in 1844, purchasing a farm in section 30, of Rome township, and he made this his home till 1865. In 1864, his Rome township farm was sold and another tract was purchased in Madison township, and there he resided until his death, Dec. 19, 1899. His wife survived him but two months, her demise being recorded Feb. 26, 1goo. Both parents were devout members of the Christian church, and regular attendants of that organization. The father's time was so taken up with home affairs that no active part was taken in politics, and he never held nor aspired to hold public office. Socially he was a member of the Masonic lodge and an ardent member of his local Grange. To this honored couple were born four children, of which number our subject is the eldest. The others are: Lucius F., who resides in Madison township, but not actively engaged in any business; Mary C., who became the wife of W. M. Beal, now living in Madison township; and one other child. who died in infancy. Our subject attended the district schools of Madison township, and afterward completed his education at the high school of Adrian. While at-tending school his spare time was devoted to work on the home farm and this was his abode till the death of his parents. His life's work has been along the line of. garden farming, and his theories in this important branch of agriulture are given practical demonstration and are bearing out his predictions. His work is carried on in a scientific manner, but not in accordance with some of the ideas promulgated by the leaders in his branch, and his experiments are novel. Part of Mr. Allis' land is devoted to the cultivation of apple trees, and he has about ioo varieties that he is propagating on less than one-quarter of an acre of land, establishing the fact of producing a larger number of varieties on smaller acreage than is the usual custom., This special land plot is given proper attention and is bearing results. To such men as Mr. Allis the public is indebted for the innovations in agriculture, for it is the theories of today that are the common practice of tomorrow; and the ever diminishing productiveness of the soil is remedied by land study and its proper cultivation, a science made possible by these experts. Politically, Mr. Allis is a Republican, and has held several township offices. At the present time he is deputy state inspector of nurseries, an appointive office, but one of singular and great importance to those engaged in the line of horticulture. He is a member of the Horticultural Society, and has held the office of president and treasurer of that body; is a member of the Baptist church of Adrian, and he also belongs to the Ancient Order of- Gleaners. Joseph B. Underhill, who owns and operates a farm of _more than too acres in Palmyra township, was born in Clyde township, Wayne county, New York, April .7, 1852-. He is the son of Cary F. and Martha (Wheeler) Underhill, the former born in England about 1823, and the latter of Welsh parents in Eastern New York, in 1827. The father came to the United States with his parents when but four years of age and settled with them near Seneca Falls, N. Y. There he learned the trade of chair and cabinet-maker and was married on June r6, 1845. In 1856 he came west with his family to Tecumseh, but remained only a short time, going thence to Wisconsin, and then returning after a brief period to Brooklyn, Jackson county, Michigan. There he followed his calling until the dark cloud of war threatened the horizon of national unity, and then believing it his duty to do what he could for the principles which he believed to be right, he enlisted as a private in Company C, of the Third Michigan infantry. With his regiment he participated in many of the most famous battles of the great internecine struggle, among others the engagements at Bull Run, Fair Oaks, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Mine Run, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania; North Anna and Cold Harbor. After receiving his honorable discharge from the service, he came to Lenawee county and located at Rome Center, embarking in the trade which he had followed before the war. After fifteen years of successful business he and a brother went to Tennessee and purchased a farm which they conducted until June, 1892. At that time he was stricken with paralysis which so affected his condi-tion that he was unable to work, and he returned to the home of his son in Genesee county, Michigan, where he died on Jan. 25, 1893. The mother passed away on July 16, 1885. The educational advan-tages of Joseph B. Underhill, the subject of this review, were limited to a few years of study in the district schools. When but ten years of age he began his active career as a business man, sawing wood and planting corn for the small remuneration of ten cents a day. He worked for others, although still making his home with his parents, until he married and then returned to Jackson county, Michigan, where he was occupied in making and repairing chairs for a year. From there he returned to Rome township, Lenawee county, and rented farms until 1883, in which year he removed to Genesee county and purchased eighty acres. Seven years later, in i8go, he disposed of his property and removed to Imlay City, Lapeer county. He remained there but a year, however, and then purchased land in Flushing township, Genesee county. In 1895 he exchanged his farm for other property in the same county and in 1898, having disposed of his holdings in Genesee county, he rented a farm in Deerfield township and a year later purchased a tract of land in Blissfield township. Being able to realize a good profit by the sale of this property within the next twenty-four months he disposed of it and purchased another farm in Riga township. There for three years he was most successfully engaged in the dairy business, and when he sold the property it was to purchase the 107% acres }which he now owns and manages in Palmyra township. During the course of his career as an agriculturist he has bad seven auctions, realizing excellent returns from each. The farm which he now manages is one of the best equipped and most modern of any in the township. He devotes special attention to the dairy feature of the business, making butter which he markets in Adrian. Beside his agricultural interests he is financially interested in the Madison Oil and Development Company, now drilling for oil in Madison township. Fraternally Mr. Underhill is well affiliated, having been for twenty-five years a member of the Knights of the Maccabees, for twelve years of the Gleaners, and is also actively identified with the State Grange. In the matter of politics he is allied with the Republican party, but the only offices which he has ever filled have been those of drain commissioner and school director in Genesee county. His deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the Baptist church, to the material welfare of which he has contributed liberally. Mr. Underhill has been twice married. On Sept. 23, 1873, he was united to Miss Amy Daniels, of Rome township, who died in March, 1877, leaving one child, Lela A., born in January, 18i5, now the wife of Ernest Russ. Mr. Underhill's second marriage occurred on Dec. 21, 1879, to Miss Mary Eaton, born in Rome township on Dec. 8, 1859, the daughter of Hiram and Henrietta (Price) Eaton. Her father was born Dec. 2, 1833, and her mother on July 28, 1840. The former was a cooper by trade, but later in his life engaged in farming in Rome township. In 1870 he removed to Burlington, Kan., and six years later returned to Michigan, settling in Hillsdale county, but after a year he returned to Rome township in this county. In 1882 he removed to Genesee county, where he and his wife are still living. Nine children were the issue of the second marriage of Mr. Underhill. The first born died in infancy; Cora, born Jan. 29, 1882, became the wife of Alvin Hewett,. a farmer residing near Mount Rose, Genesee county; Albert and Alberta, twins, were born Sept. 20, 1884, and Alberta died April 18, 1888. Albert, who lives on the home farm with his parents, married Miss Minnie Pease, of Deerfield, on Dec. 22, 1903, and has two childrenGlenn H., and Alberta, born on Aug. 25, 19o4, and March 2, 19o8, respectively. Joseph died in infancy. Floyd, born June 6, 1889, lives at home. George, born Jan. 24, 1891, resides with his parents. Hazel, born April 2, 1893, also makes her home with the parents; and the other child, born in 1896, died in infancy.

THE END

This work dedicated to all the native americans, pioneers, and settlers of this great land. God bless America, and God Bless Lenawee County.

If you have comments, corrections, suggestions, etc., send them to terry at domsys dot com.

Scanned, edited and published by Terrence A. Weadock, Dominant Systems Corporation, All Rights Reserved

                                  Previous Page                    Page 1



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com