History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 38



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
county, where his educational advantages were those afforded in the public schools. He initiated his independent business career as a junk dealer and grocer at Bannister, Gratiot county, Michigan, where he continued in business for ten years, at the expiration of which he removed to Addison, Hillsdale county, but remained there only a short time. In 1896 Mr. Brown took tip his residence in Tecumseh, where he devoted his attention to the buying and selling of junk until 1904, when he amplified the scope of his enterprise by handling coal, wood and feed, under the firm name of Brown & Company, which is still retained. For twenty years he has been a buyer of wood for the firm of L. Frensdorf & Son of Hudson, Mich., and he has handled a large volume of business in this line. His firm also handles an extensive trade in the buying and shipping of furs and pelts. The concern maintains two offices in Tecumseh and is one of the leading factors in its commercial field of operations. Mr. Brown is a stalwart in the local camp of the Democratic party and lias been an active worker in its cause, He has served six consecutive years as city marshal, of which office he is now the incumbent, and for six years he was deputy sheriff of the county, two years under Mr. Sliepard and four years during the administrations -of Sheriff Holt. He and his wife and clang -liters are members of the Episcopal church. He is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, 'No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, \o. 42, Royal Arch \Masons; Blanchard Council, \o. 34, Royal and Select plasters, and the local chapter of the adjunct Order of the Eastern Star. of which his wife and elder daughter Likewise are members. He is identified with Tecnniseai Lodge. No. i9o, Knights of Pythias, and its auxiliary. the Pythian Sisters, as are also his wife and eldest daughter. Mrs. Brown is also a member of the Ladies of the Maccabees. June 23. 1855, witnessed the marriage of Mr. Brown to Miss Emma West, who was born and reared in Clinton county, Michigan, a daughter of Samuel and Eliza West, early settlers of that county, where Mr. West died and where his widow still maintains her home. They became the parents of five daughters, of whom four are living. Mr. and Mrs. Brown have two daughters-Eolah M., who was graduated in the Tecumseh High School and the Michigan State Normal School at Ypsilanti, and who is now a teacher in the high school at Marshall, Mich.; and Bonnie A., a student in the Tecumseh High School, as a member of the class of 1911. John A. Brugger, a shrewd and prosperous agriculturist of Blissfield township, was born in the city of Adrian on July 10, 1848, the son of John and Christina (Beagle) Brugger.



The parents were both born in the Fatherland, and for a year after coming to this country, in 1836, they lived in New York. When they came to Michigan they lived in Monroe county for about a year and then moved to Adrian, where they lived until 1844. In that year the father purchased a farm in Ogden township, but conducted it only a year, leasing it that he might return to live in Adrian. His residence there continued until 1868, when he removed to a farm he had purchased in Madison township. There he died on March 13, 1877, and his wife passed away in South Bend, Ind., Aug. 22, 1886. They were the parents of five children, the others beside the subject of this review being Mary M. (Brugger) Borough, a resident of South Bend, Ind.; William H., a hardware merchant of South Bend; Katherine (Brugger) Hill, living in Toledo, Ohio; and Louisa Brugger, who lives in South Bend. After John A. Brugger had completed the prescribed courses in the Adrian public schools he learned the cabinet-maker's trade, and for several years was successfully engaged in that line of activity. Then he managed his

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com