History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 58



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Leslie T. Goff, one of the prosperous farmers of Blissfield township, was born in that township on April 1, 1845, the son of Sewall S. Goff. The father was born in Royalston, Mass., on .Jan. 29, 1811, and when a young man he came to Michigan and settled in Blissfield, where he lived until his death, on Jan. 23, 1865. On June 13, 1830, he married Mrs. Esther M. (Frary) Buck, the widow of Samuel Buck and the mother of a daughter who later became Mrs. Frederick Cannon. Mrs. Esther M. Goff was born Sept. ii, 1809, and died in Blissfield on May 29, 1839. By her second marriage she was the mother of three children, Warner W. and Almira A. and a son that died in infancy. In 1840 Mr. Sewall S. Goff, the father, married Miss Lucy Frary, a sister of his first wife, who was born Feb. 5, 1820, and died in Blissfield July 31, 1850, leaving three sons, Philander K., born Dec. 24, 1843, Leslie T. and John II., born March 28, 1849. In 1851 the father married Miss Flavilla Schenck, of Fulton county, New York, who came to Michigan as a school teacher and succumbed to consumption in December, 1852. In 1855 he was united to Miss Emeline Van Wormer,, who is still a resident of Lenawee county. Leslie T. Goff received his educational advantages in the west side schools of Blissfield and then worked on the farm with his father until the parent's death. For some years thereafter he conducted the place and then by different exchanges came into possession of the farm which he now owns and upon which he has lived since 1867. In his political relations he has always been allied with the Republican party and as the successful candidate of that party served two terms as treasurer of the township. He has also served one year as township drain commissioner and one term on the school board. In religious matters Mr. Goff attends the Evangelical church, and also attended the Presbyterian church. Fraternally he is associated with the State Grange. Mr. Goff has been married three times. On April io, 1866, he married in Toledo, Ohio, Carrie D. Kellogg, born in Toledo in 1848, the daughter of Rev, and Mrs. Kellogg. After her death Mr. Goff married on Jan. 28, 1878, Miss Clara A. La Bounty, born Jan. 22, 1857, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Chauncey La Bounty. His third marriage, which was solemnized in Blissfield, on Jan. 26, 1897, was to Louise P. Kurtz, born in Ogden township Nov. 5, 1861, the' daughter of Leonard and Dorothea (Boon) Kurtz. Mr. and Mrs. Kurtz, both natives of' Germany, came to Lenawee county at an early date, and the mother died May 4, 1874. Two children were the issue of Mr. Goff's first marriage, namely, Lucy M. (Goff) Smith, born April 5, 1867, now a resident of Blissfield township, and William II., born Nov. 4, 1871, now employed in the abstract office in Adrian. The only child of the second union, Charles L., born July 20, 1881, died in Bowling Green, Ohio, on Aug. 24, 1889. On May 14, 19oo, a son, Leonard S., was born to the third union. He died on Sept. 22, 1900.



John W. Heckert, who has been a resident of Lenawee county For nearly thirty years, was born in Preston county, West Virginia, July 1, 1846, the son of John G. and Julia (Wagner) Heckert. The father was born in Preston county, West Virginia, in 1804, and the mother was a native of the same place. She died when John W. was about eight years old. In July, 1864, the father came to Lenawee county and located on the farm in Ogden township where he lived until his death in November, 1886. By his three marriages he became the father of twelve children. To his first union, which was to Miss Bishoff, six children were born, four of whom survive, namely: Anna, a widow living in Tennessee; David, a farmer of Ogden township; Rebecca, the widow of Jacob Fogelsong, of Palmyra; and George AV., a farmer of Ogden township. Five children were born to his union to Miss Julia Wagner, two of whom, John W. of this review, and Israel L., a farmer residing in Ogden township, are still living. But one child was born to the third marriage, which was to Miss Lucy Hile, namely Belle, and she is now the wife of Cyrus Temple, a farmer of Ogden township. Four sons, John AV., George, Daniel and Henry, served in the Union army during the Civil war. The last named while foraging was given a piece of pie which contained poison by a Confederate sympathizer, and died before help could be summoned. When John W. Heckert had finished his scholastic training he enlisted on Aug, 22, 1864, althought but eighteen years of age, as a private in Company F, Sixth West Virginia infantry, On June io, 1865, he was mustered out of the United States service without having partici-pated in any large engagements. After the cessation of hostilities he worked at different times and for various periods as a cooper, miller and sawmill employee, and early in the '8os came to Lenawee county. In 1882 he purchased his present farm of fifty acres, and all the improvements on the place are the result of his own efforts. He devotes most of his attention to dairying, selling the cream from his herd to the cheese factory at Ogden Center. Fraternally and socially Mr. Heckert is allied with David Becker Post, No. 25, Grand Army of the Republic, at Ogden Center, and with Blissfield Lodge, No. 258, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He has been a lifelong Republican in politics, but has never sought public office of any nature. On NOV. 2, 1879, was celebrated Mr. Heckert's marriage to Miss Columbia Wilson, the daughter of Daniel and Neoma (Rigger) Wilson. Mr. AVilson, who had served as postmaster at Grafton, Air. Va., was twice married, and by his first wife was the father of seven children, and to his second marriage were born four children. To Mr. and Mrs. Heckert have been born six children. Clarence, a carpenter by vocation, is now living near Merina, Logan county, Colorado; Mamie is the wife of Albert J. Jackson, a mechanic at Greeley, Col.; Blanche is the wife of Hollis Frye, employed in 'the Reo Automobile Works at Lansing, Mich.; Hazel lives with her parents; Brace is attending Brown's Busii'iess University in Adrian; and Ila lives at home.



Rudolph A. Heesen, one of the members of the firm of Ileesen Brothers & Company, proprietors of the foundry in Tecumseh. was born in Tecumseh on Oct. 11, 1866. He is the son of George and Engele (\Tylan(l) Ileesen, both of whom were born in Holland in 1832 and 1835 respectively. The father came to Baltimore in 1848, and for a time was variously employed in Cleveland and Youngstown, Ohio, his marriage occurring in Cleveland in 1856. A year later lie, came to Tecumseh and found employment in his trade as a tailor. In 1872, in partnership with his brother, John, who had located in. Tecumseh in i86o, and his brother-in-law, Henry Nyland, he founded a factory for the manufacturing of hog rings and like farm -necessities. This business was successfully conducted until 1898,' and in that year the same partners established the foundry which is today the business that John and Rudolph A. Ileesen and John Nyland are conducting under the firm name of Heesen Brothers & Company. The father was a Republican in his political views, and as the successful candidate served as president of the village board for three years and as supervisor of Tecumseh. Both he and his wife were devout communicants of the Presbyterian church, and fraternally he was identified with the Tecumseh Lodge, Knights of Pythias. Five children were born to the parents-Nellie Adamson, Delia Tramni, Rudolph A., Anna Meyer and Alfred J.-all of whom grew to maturity. The father's death occurred in 1902 and the mother passed away on March 30, 1908. Rudolph A. Heesen, the subject of this review, received his educational advantages in the public schools of Tecumseh and laid the foundation for a business career by a course in the Spedcerian Business College of Cleveland, Ohio. For four years he remained in Cleveland-in the employ of the McIntosh Hardware Company of that city, and after that returned to Tecumseh to engage in the clothing business with his father. There he remained until the establishment of the foundry with which he has since been actively identified. His other business interests include a directorship in the Lilly State Bank of Tecumseh. In politics he has given unstinted support to the men and measures of the Republican party, and was twice elected president of the village on the ticket of that party. His deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the Presbyterian church, to whose spiritual and material growth he has contributed freely. On Sept. 11, 1888, occurred Mr. Heesen's marriage to Miss Flora Roof, of South Bend, Ind., a daughter of Daniel and Rose Roof. Mrs. Roof died in 1902, and her widowed husband is now a much respected and esteemed resident of South Bend. Frederick J. Henig, a member of the firm of Henig, Westgate & Condra, proprietors of the establishment known in Adrian as the North Main Street Clothiers and Furnishers, was born in Adrian Nov. 28, 1856, the son of Jacob and Caroline (Allabach) Henig. Both parents were born in Germany, the father in Wurtemberg' and the mother in Baden. They were married in Lancaster, Pa., came to Adrian in 185, and the, father worked at his trade of shoemaker for Mixer & Aldrich until his death in November. 1874. The mother died in September, 19o3. Before coming to America the father was for ten years a captain of infantry in the German army. Of their children, the subject of this sketch is the oldest living. John, the eldest, died in 1882, leaving a son who is now in Little Rock, Ark.; Frank is a machinist by trade; William died in r8i5; Carrie is the wife of Albert Wild, of Adrian; Dora died at the age of six; August is in the real estate business in Toledo; Elizabeth is the wife of Jerre Marlatt, foreman of the Wilcox Hardware Company's tinshop ; and Henry died in March, 1906. Frederick J. Henig, after completing his scholastic work in the- German and public schools of the city, worked for a number of years at farming, hiring out by the month to different farmers in Adrian township. At the age of fourteen he received fourteen dollars a month at work on the farm, and his entire wages for a. number of years went toward the support of his father's family as the father's health was poor. In 1875 he decided to learn the baker's trade in Tecumseh and successfully followed that business until the fall of 1877, when he was compelled to quit it on account of the flour dust producing a bronchial affection. He again returned to farm work until 188o, when he took up carpentering on the- first buildings of the Industrial Home for Girls, later was engaged at car repairing in the Lake Shore railroad shops, and afterward engaged with Beck & Vogt, general contractors, until the fall of 1886, when he accepted a clerical position with Wood, Crane & Wood in the clothing business. During the sixteen years in which he remained with them he thoroughly mastered every detail of the business, and in February, 1903, in partnership with Messrs. Westgate and Condra, he established the business in which he is now occupied, and which is recognized as the leading clothing house of Adrian. The firm belongs to the Adrian Industrial Association, and Mr. Henig fraternally is identified with the Knights of the Maccabees and the Knights of Pythias. In politics Mr. Henig is not allied with any party, but votes for the men and measures which in his judgment promise the best for the community as a whole. He was reared in the German Lutheran faith, but is not a member of any church. Mr. Henig has been twice married. On April 5, I88i, was solemnized his union to Miss Kathryne Muck, who died on Sept. 22, 1893, leaving besides her husband three sons-George, now city engineer of Baker City, Ore., graduated at the Adrian High School in 1893, and was later a student at Ann Arbor. On Dec. 25, 1907, he married Miss Blanche Norrid, of Benton, Mo., who was born in Oklahoma, but reared and educated at Benton. On March 1, 19o9, he resigned his position as city engineer of Adrian to accept a similar position at an advance in salary at Baker City, Ore., where he is now located. Arthur is an electrician with the Citizens' Light and Power Company of Adrian, and Clarence is a student in the Adrian High School. On Oct. 24, 1895, Mr. IIenig married Miss Sophia Holtz, daughter of Frederick Holtz, of Adrian. Mrs. Henig was born in Germany and cane to the United States with her parents when less than a year old. She is the mother of one child, Gertrude, now nine years of age. The Henig home is at 1i East Butler street, Mr. Henig has spent his entire life in Adrian and its vicinity, and has witnessed its development from a small village to one of the most enterprising cities in southern Michigan.. He began life a penniless boy, but by perseverance, industry and strict honesty in all of his dealings, he has not only assisted in establishing a successful business, but has also won the confidence and respect of the community. His early life on the farm when he was compelled to work at least fourteen hours a day with the hot sun beating down on him in the summer and with the mercury hovering around zero in the winter, taught -him not only the hardships requisite to farm life, but also to sympathize fully with the poor young man strug; gling to secure a start in life.



Rev. Herman B. E. Heyn, pastor of St. Stephen's German Lutheran church of Adrian, was born in West Saginaw, Mich., Jan. i2, 1874, the son of Ernest and Natalie (Kuehn) Heyn. The parents were both born in Saxony, Germany, and were married there before coming to the United States in 1872. After landing in New York they came direct to Saginaw, where they had relatives living, and the father engaged in the butcher business. He is now living retired in that city, but his wife died in November, 1898. Seven sons and two daughters were born to the parents, and five sons are now living. They are the twin brothers, Max and Robert, living in Saginaw, the subject of this sketch, and William and Julius, of Saginaw. Rev. Mr. Heyn received his primary education in the public and parochial schools of Saginaw, and then took a seven years' course iin the theological seminary of that city, graduating when he was twenty-one years of age. Shortly afterward he was ordained to the ministry and was given his first charge at Freedom, Washtenaw county. He remained in that pastorate one and a half years, when he received an urgent call to the pulpit of St. Stephen's German Lutheran church, and being solicited by the officers of the synod to accept the call, he came to Adrian. The congregation was in a demoralized condition and Mr. Heyn at once recognized that he had undertaken a gigantic task. Two pastors who had just previously filled the pulpit had been asked to resign. There were but fifty-four members, and the school had but few pupils. Since his arrival he has done exceptional work in bringing the society up to its present high standard. In 18999 he superintended the erection of a new school building, consisting of- a hall on the second floor and two school rooms on the first floor, at 14 Finch street. At first Mr. Heyn was obliged to conduct the school himself, but as it grew in size he was given an assistant, and during his incumbency of the pastorate has had four teachers under his direction. The first was R. O. Patzweld, the second A. Oberschulte, the third B. I-Iahm, and the last, who is still in charge, H. Krieg. At the present time there are sixty pupils enrolled, and the curriculum comprises German and English instruction in six grades. The debt under which the church labored when Mr. Heyn took hold has all been raised, and the number of voting members has been increased to rio, in addition to which there is a large number of communicant and passive members. The church edifice has been remodeled and a new one is being planned to supplant the structure now occupied, which has been the home of the congregation since its organization in 186o, with twelve members. The dedication of the new parsonage, erected on the site of the old one at the southeast corner of Finch and Front streets, occurred on Sunday, Oct. 25,-1908. The congregation, which filled the church to overflowing, gathered at the church at Io a. m. to listen to the dedicatory sermon delivered by Rev. J. Gauss, of Jenera, Ohio, who came to Adrian for the purpose. The members then adjourned to the parsonage, where the dedication services proper were conducted. Following the services, the house was thrown open to the public and all who saw it agreed that it was one of the handsomest residences in the city. The building, the construction of which cost over $4,000, is a full two-story residence of ten rooms, including bath, sewing, reception and children's rooms, and a finely equipped laundry in the basement. It is supplied with hot and cold water, as well as rain water, gas and all other modern conveniences. The inside finish is in southern pine, artistically tinted. The building committee, which had the work in charge, consisted of Rev. Mr. Heyn, Frank Hoesie, Adam Finkbeiner, John Betz, Philip Eberlein, Conrad Becker and John Koehn. The pastor is chairman and president of the congregation; John Ruedy is elder, F. Buelke and Charles Schoen are the deacons, and the trustees are Adam Finkbeiner, John Betz, Conrad Becker and H. Duerr, the latter of whom is secretary. The school is in charge of a committee consisting . of W. C. Koehn, C. Schweikert, A. Radant, the pastor and the teacher. There are also a number of affiliated organizations in the church, such as the Ladies Aid Society, of which M'rs. J. Betz is president; the Young Ladies Society, of which Miss T. Acker is president; the Luther League, which meets in the hall of the school building and of which the pastor is president; and the Unterstuetzung Verein, a benefit organization composed of the members of the church, which provides a benefit of $i,ooo for the families of deceased members. In the matter of politics Rev. Mr. Heyn espouses the cause of the Republican party, but has never sought public office of any nature.' On April 28, 1897, he was happily married at Saginaw, Mich., to Miss Alma Richter, something of whose family relationship can be gleaned from the sketch of P. E. Richter elsewhere in this volume. Four children have been the issue of this union; namely, Natalie L., born Feb. 9, 1898; Harold R., born June 7, 1901; Waldemar E., born Sept. 1, 1904; and Hugo, born Jan. 7, 1907, who died four days after birth. Nicholas V. Hile, one of the substantial farmers of Lenawee county, was born in Rockinghamn county, Virginia, July a1, 1840. He is the son of Peter and Lucy (Pence) Hile, the former a native of Germany and the latter of Rockingham county, Virginia. The father mastered the carpenter's trade when a young man and later took to farming. He had an excellent farm in Rockingham county, Vir-ginia, nine miles from Harrisonburg, and lived there until his death in 1886. By his three wives he was the father of ten children; twoNicholas V., of this sketch, and Margaret, the wife of David B. Heckert, a farmer of Ogden township-by his first, two by his second and six by his third. Mr. Hile attended school in his native county, and when he was but fifteen years of age started out to earn his own• livelihood. His first labors were as a waiter in the employ of the Baltimore & Ohio railway, attending one of their restaurants at Cranberry Summit, W. Va. Then for. about a year he worked on farms by the month, and in 1858 came to Michigan, seeking work first with David Heckert in Ogden township. When, in December, 1858, Mr. Hile landed in Ogden township, he had but twenty shillings in money, but he soon secured work at fifty cents a day, payable in trade or provisions of various kinds, which he turned over to his brother-in-law, David Heckert. His first loo days' work netted him thirty-seven dollars, and this constituted his first payment on forty acres of land. As stated, by thrift and industry he managed to save sufficient of his earnings to purchase forty acres of land, which at that time was all under water, and it was over three months before the water subsided sufficiently for him to see a foot of that forty-acre tract, although it is now one of the finest and best drained pieces of land in the county. Gradually he acquired more property until today he has a farm of 195 acres. All of the improvements on the place, including the draining of the low lands, the clearing of the timber lands, the fencing and erection of the buildings, have been made by Mr. Hile, with the advice and help of his good wife. His income from the place is derived chiefly through the winter in the fattening of cattle and the raising of hogs for market purposes. In the fifty-one years that Mr. Hile has been a resident of Ogden township, he has not only witnessed the marvelous transformation of what was considered a wooded swamp into one of the finest improved communities in the state, but to him as much as to any other man in the township belongs the credit of bringing about this wonderful development. And there, amid the scenes of his life's work, in a beautiful home, surrounded by every convenience essential to modern and up-to-date rural life, he and his devoted wife are spending their declining years, contented and happy. In the matter of politics Mr. Hile is a stanch supporter of the men and measures of the Republican party, and at different times his popularity has been amply proved by his election to office as the candidate of that organization. He served for four years as supervisor, seven years as town treasurer, and six years as town clerk. Fraternally he is identified with Blissfield Lodge, No. 114, Free and Accepted Masons. On Dec. 28, 1865, Mr. Hile was happily married to Miss Caroline L. Robertson, the daughter of James and Elizabeth (Heckert) Robertson. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson moved from West Virginia to Wayne county, Ohio, where Mrs. Hile was born, and thence to Ogden township, this county, in 1853. Subsequently they removed to Florida, where Mr. Robertson died in 1898. To Mr. and Mrs. Hile have been born four children. James, the eldest, born Nov. 9, 1866, married Miss Margaret Bowerman, and makes his residence at Superior, Wis., where he practices law and is at present serving as court reporter for the circuit court. He is a graduate of the University of Michigan, and the father of four children. George P., the second son, born April 19, 1872, married Miss Emma Keifer, by whom he has one child, Joseph N. At present he is a resident of Monroe county, Michigan,, but expects to remove shortly to his ranch near Las Vegas, N. Mex.. Alpheus J., born Dec. 27, 1875, married Catherine Barker, by whom he is the father of five children. He resides on and has management of the home farm. Jessie Maude, the youngest, born Dec. 27, 1880, is the wife of Vernon L. Clapper, a carpenter by trade, but during the sugar season he is employed in the sugar factory at Blissfield, and their permanent home is at Ogden Center.



Edward Holdway is one of the popular citizens of the village of Tecumseh, where he is engaged in the barbering business. His establishment is thoroughly modern in equipment and accessories, and he caters to a large and representative patronage. Mr. Holdway was born in Tecumseh on Aug. 1, 1966, a son of Richard and Louisa (Emley) Holdway, the former born in Newbury, Berkshire, En; land, Jan. 31, 1822, and the latter in Amherstburg, Ontario, Canada, in the year 1834. They were married in Ontario. Richard Holdway was first married in Berkshire, England, on July 5, 1844, to Miss Caroline Hessey. They immigrated to America and took up their residence in Amherstburg, province of Ontario, Canada, ,where Mrs. Holdway's death" occurred on Oct. 31, 1853. She left two children-Elizabeth, who married James Blair and is now deceased; and Julia, wife of John Bent, of Goshen, Ind. The children of the second marriage are: Mary, wife of Charles Stevenson of Tecumseh; Thomas, -likewise a resident of Tecumseh; and Edward, the immediate subject of this review. Richard Holdway came with his family to Lenawee county .in the year 1865 and established his home in the village of Tecumseh, where he held for some time the position of engineer in the Emley tannery. He next accepted the position of engineer in the sash, door and blind factory of Wolcott & Temple, in whose employ he continued for the long period of twenty-two years, after which he lived virtually retired in this village until his death, which occurred on July 29, 1903. He was a man of sterling integrity, and ever held the confidence and high regard of all who knew him. He was for many years actively identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was a communicant of the Protestant Episcopal church, as is also his widow, who still maintains her home in Tecumseh. Edward IIoldway, whose name initiates this review, is indebted to the public schools of Tecumseh for his early educational discipline, which included a course in the high school. Upon attaining to his legal majority he served a thorough apprenticeship at the barber's trade, and for fourteen years thereafter he was here employed at his trade, in the establishment of David Machan. He then engaged in business for himself and has gained and maintained a large and appreciative trade. He enjoys uniform popularity in his native village, and has the confidence and esteem of all who know him. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, and he and his wife are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal church. He is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, and is a charter member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 19o, Knights of Pythias. On May 1, 1899, Mr. Holdway was united in marriage to Miss Mary Leighn, of Tecumseh. They have no children..

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com