History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 59



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
George R. Holloway, one of the substantial citizens of Raisin township, was born on the old Holloway homestead in that township on April 19, 1852. His father, Butler Holloway, was born in Conway, Mass., Feb. 14, 1814, and accompanied his father, Dr. William Holloway, who was born in Massachusetts in 1781 and came to Michigan in 1833. In 1816 Dr. William Holloway removed from Massachusetts to York, Livingston county, New York, where he practiced medicine until he came to Michigan as above stated. being one of the pioneer doctors of Raisin township, where he practiced medicine with eminent success until his death on Aug. 10. 1852. He was married three times and became the father of nine children, five by his first wife and four by his second, Butler Holloway being the youngest son and fifth child by his first wife. He, together with his brothers, William. Edwin and Silas, purchased 32o acres of land and later added 20o acres, making a total of 52o acres of fine tillable land in Raisin township. The tract is so situated that the east and west, and north and south roads intersect near the center of it, the old family residence being erected on the northeast corner of the cross-roads, and the Holloway home has been familiarly known to the people of this region for over fifty years as "Holloway Corners." When the homestead was divided up among the brothers, Butler Holloway selected for his share the southwest corner of section 23, which he cleared from the wilderness and eventually erected a fine brick residence with good barns and outbuildings and developed the land to a fine state of cultivation by means of fifteen miles of tile drainage. Butler Holloway in after life often referred to his pioneer experiences, when frequently he did not know where-he was to get his next meal unless he could kill some game with his trusty rifle. All kinds of game were plentiful in those days and he has often described hunting experiences which would thrill the heart of any sportsman. When hunting deer in. the fall of the year, he would often leave home before daylight in the morning wearing gloves on his hands and a coat on his head to keep the mosquitoes from "bleeding him to death," and frequently had to carry a hickory torch to keep the wolves away when hunting his cows after dark. On April 2, 1846, he was united in marriage to Miss Ann Richard, a daughter of Archibald Richard, of Raisin township, both natives of County Antrim, Ireland, where Ann was born May 13, 1818. They immigrated to America in 1828, settling first in Livingston county, New York, and in 1832 came to Michigan, where Archibald Richard entered a tract of government land on which he developed a farm and continued to reside until his death. Archibald Richard was born about 1782 of Scotch ancestry, and was an extensive farmer , in Ireland, where he married Miss Jane Haney, of County Antrim, and by whom he was the father of eleven children, three sons and eight daughters. Jane (Haney) Richard was born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1796, and died in Raisin township, Lenawee county, Michigan, in September. 1852. To the union of Butler Holloway and Ann Richard three children were born; Ellen Z., born in Raisin township, April 11, 1849, and died there Oct. 22, 1875, when twentysix years old; George R., the subject of this sketch; and one daughter who died in infancy. Ann Holloway joined the Presbyterian church in early youth and continued a devoted member until her death. Butler Holloway died on the old homestead, Feb. 15, 1882, a useful member of the community and a lifelong adherent of the Democratic party. George Holloway grew to manhood amid the scenes of rural life, and under the eye and discipline of his father, he learned practical farming as is today demonstrated in his well equipped and improved farm. He received a good common school, education and after completing a course in the Tecumseh High School he began life as a farmer and stockman, to which he has since most successfully devoted himself. He feeds and fattens two or more carloads of steers each winter, is the owner of 29o acres of fine cultivable land and by hard work and up-to-date farming he has succeeded in accumulating considerable wealth. His political relations have been with the Democratic party ever since he became old enough to vote, and as the successful candidate of that organization, he has served two years as township treasurer and ten years as township supervisor, and is president of the Holloway Telephone Company. He holds membership in the Presbyterian church, is a member of Tecumseh Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, has attained the rank of Knight Templar in that order, and he and his wife are members of the local lodge of the State Grange. In 1876 Mr. Holloway married Miss Isabel Stretch, who was -born May 24, 1858, and is the daughter of Jesse and Ann (Charlton) Stretch, both natives of England, the former born in Cheshire, England, in 1815. He came to America in 1842 with his parents and located first in Palmyra township, Lenawee county, Michigan, then removed to Raisin township, where he died on Feb. 2, 1881. His wife, Ann, was born in England in 1823 and accompanied a relative to America. She died in Raisin township in December, 1884. They were the parents of eight children: Mary E., Emily, Edward C., Lucy, Isabel, now Mrs. Holloway, Alice N., Francis J. and Hartley, all of whom are living (1909) except Lucy and Emily. To the union of Mr. Holloway and his wife has been born one son, Kenneth, a brief sketch of whose life appears elsewhere in this work. Kenneth G. Holloway, an enterprising young farmer of Raisin township, was born in that township on May 19, 1880, the son of George R. Holloway, a review of whose career appears elsewhere in this work. Mr. Holloway received his primary educational advantages in the Raisin Valley Seminary and the Tecumseh High School, and-completed his education at the Michigan Agricultural College at Lansing, Mich. Since that time he has devoted his whole attention to agricultural pursuits. He is a Democrat in his politics and in religious matters is allied with the Presbyterian church. On April 24, 1901, Mr. Holloway married Miss Grace Carpenter, by whom he has four children: Lysle B., born on April 14, 190-2; George Ronald, born on Oct. 1, 1904; Wilfred K., born on June ii, 1907; and Ruth E., born on April ii, 1909. Mrs. Holloway, daughter of Orlando E. and Phebe .(Boucher) Carpenter, was born in Manchester, Mich., April '1g, 1881. Mr. Holloway is a member of the Knights of the Modern Maccabees. William Howe, proprietor of a modern wagon-making establishment and repair shop in Adrian, was born in Mecklenburg, Germany, March 22, 1840. He is the son of John and Fredericka Howe, both of whom passed their entire lives in the old country, where the father was a wagon-maker. The three sons and a daughter born to the parents all came to the United States, and all but the daughter, Minnie, are now living. Fred lives in Dundee, Mich., and Henry is a resident of Adrian. William Howe received the excellent scholastic training afforded by the schools of his native land and there learned the trade of wagon-maker under Fred Loshand, in Warren, his native land. In the fall of 1866 he migrated to the United States and after landing in New York came direct to Adrian. For a year he labored at anything that would bring him a livelihood and then secured employment at his trade with Smith, Kaiser & Yager, manufacturers of carriages, wagons and sleighs. For a good many years he was a faithful employe of that firm, and then he purchased a shop of his own, which he has since. successfully conducted. During the first few years of his work in this work he manufactured an excellent grade of wagons, but.has since devoted himself almost exclusively to repair work. Beside his interests in the city Mr. Howe owns a farm of eighty acres, three miles north of the city in Adrian township, where his son, Martin, carries on a general farming business. In the matter of politics Mr. Howe gives stanch support to the men and measures of the Republican party, but has never sought public preferment for himself. His religious nature finds expression in membership in the German Lutheran church. In 1866 in Germany was celebrated Mr. Howe's marriage to Miss Caroline Schroeder, who died July 20, 1898. To this union were born eight children, five of whom survive. All were born in Adrian and educated in the city schools. They are Henry H. D., Anna, Emilie and Albert C., all of this city, and Martin L., of Adrian township. Jared A. Howell, deceased, for many years one of the prominent agriculturists of Lenawee county, was born in Victor, Ontario county, New York, Nov. 5, 1820. He was the son' of Anson Howell, who was born in Suffolk county, New York, April 13, 1786, and there resided until he was about twenty years of age. Then he went to western New York and settled in Victor. He was a millwright, carpenter and joiner, and followed these trades until about 1830. In the fall of 1827 he came west to Michigan and entered 16o acres of land in section 28, Adrian township, and after contracting with Burrows Brown and Ashur Stevens to erect a. log house and clear twenty acres of the land, he returned to New York. In the following spring he returned and erected for Darius Comstock a frame house on his farm in the "valley," and about the first of September was joined by his family, consisting then of his wife and eight children, who settled on the farm he had selected. During the summer of 1829 he assisted in the construction of the "red mill," the first frame school house in Adrian and the old Michigan Exchange, the first hotel erected in Adrian. Thereafter he devoted his attention exclusively to farming, built a large barn in 1831 and a frame house in 1838. Anson Howell was a practical, careful, judicious man, ever ready to assist his neighbors. It is related of him that he often went out with the new comers to "look land," while the families of the prospective settlers remained at his home until they could find a suitable place to locate. His death occurred Oct. 8, 1873, after a, life of usefulness. He married Charlotte Rockwood, a descendant of good Vermont stock, and at the time of her marriage a resident of Perinton, Monroe county, New York. She died Aug. 28, 1845, leaving beside her husband ten children, of whom Jared A. was the sixth in order of birth. The subject of this review lived with his father until he was twenty-seven years of age, and was reared as a farmer. In 1848 he purchased a farm in section 35, Rome township, where he lived until i86o, and then exchanged the place for a portion of the old homestead. In the spring of i88o he disposed of his holdings and subsequently purchased the old Tabor place which had been located by Walter Wlhipple in 1825= the first to be entered in the vicinity of the present site of Adrian. Mr. Howell came to Lenawee county when but eight years of•age and Indians were plentiful. He was naturally thrown into contact with them and became exceedingly proficient in their language. As a boy he dealt with them to a considerable extent, trading knives, powder horns, mirrors, etc., for bows and arrows, pelts and other articles. On Nov. 21, 1847, Mr. Howell . was united in marriage to Miss Amelia S. Brazee, daughter of John Brazee, Sr., of Adrian, and to this union were born four children. Mrs. Howell was born in Victor on March 27, 1829, and is of French and Dutch descent. She came with her parents to Adrian township .in 1835, and is still a respected resident of the county. Mr. Howell passed away on Dec. 28, 1892. William F. Howell, a substantial citizen of Lenawee county, and a manufacturer of artificial limbs and apparatus, was born on a farm in Rome township on Sept. 15, 1850, the son of Jared A., of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this work. He is the only son of his parents, and the second child in order of birth. His sisters are Mrs. Altha Wilber, a widow of Toledo, Ohio; Mrs. Etta May Poucher, of Sandcreek; Mrs. Eva Case, whose husband is a, herdsman at the agricultural college of the University of Illinois. Mr. Howell attended the Raisin Valley Seminary and Adrian College, leaving the latter institution to enter Hillsdale College, of Hillsdale, Michigan, in the commercial department of which he was graduated in the class of 1871. After finishing his scholastic work he learned the jeweler's trade, and after he had mastered it he labored as a journeyman for seven years in Adrian and Clayton. During the two years immediately following he was in Philadelphia, Pa., in the employ of B. Frank Palmer, and there learned the trade of manufacturing artificial limbs and apparatus for deformed people. Upon his return to Michigan he was for four years engaged as a salesman on the road, selling and fitting artificial limbs, and then for a year again worked at the bench as a jeweler, in the employ of Fred Irish. At the end of that time he established a shop for the manufacture of limbs on North Winter street, but after five years removed it to Toledo, Ohio. There he was in partnership with William Bluff for three years, and then his father's last illness necessitated his return to Adrian. He remained on the farm until March, 1898, and then established himself in his present business, with which he- has since met with great success. Mr. Howell was born a cripple and has thus been 'more intensely interested in an effort to relieve suffering humanity than he would otherwise have been. He became interested in the Grange movement upon his return from Philadelphia. and has since been a potent factor in its progress. In 19o2 he was made secretary and treasurer of the Patron's Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of Lenawee county, limited, and has since held the position. For five years also he was lecturer for the County Grange. In the matter of politics 'Mr. Howell is allied with the Republican party, but has never sought public preferment for himself. He makes his home with his mother on the farm and drives back and forth each day. Dr. Frank Alvin Howland, a prominent young physician of Adrian, was born on a farm on sections 14 and 15, Adrian township, on April 11, 1866, a son of Jonathan Howland, Jr., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this work. Dr. Howland received his preliminary educational advantages in the public schools of Adrian, finishing the prescribed courses in 1887. For some time he resided with his parents, and then determining to become a physician and oculist went to Chicago and matriculated in the Northern Illinois College of Ophthamology and was there graduated in the class of 1902, with the degree of Doctor of Optics. He began the practice of his profession in Chicago, and at the same time entered the Bennett College of Eclectic Medicine and Surgery. His residence and his professional career in Chicago continued until 1907, in which year he graduated at the last named institution with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Dr. Howlarid then removed to Adrian and on Aug. 5, 1907, opened an office for the practice of his profession and although he has been engaged but a comparatively short time he has built up a large and lucrative practice. In his political views he is allied with the Republican party, but has never sought public preferment for himself. Fraternally and professionally he is prominently identified with the Blue Lodge of the Masonic order, the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of the Maccabees, the Modern Woodmen of America, the city, county and state medical societies, the State Eclectic Medical and Surgical Society and the American Medical Association. Dr. Howland is the medical examiner for the Modern Woodmen of America and the Knights of the Maccabees, beside a number of the old-line insurance companies.. On May 22, 1889, occurred his marriage to Miss Alice B. Armstrong, a daughter of Richard and Jane Armstrong, of Detroit. Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong were both natives of Ireland, and passed the greater part of their lives in Detroit. To Dr. and Mrs. Howland was born, on Sept. 12, 19o2, a son, Alvin IV. Both the Doctor and his wife are communicants of the Presbyterian church. The Doctor is the owner of thirty acres of the old homestead, and his city home is at 6 1-2 Cross street. Jonathan Howland, Jr., deceased, who for many years was a highly esteemed and prominent agriculturist of Lenawee county, was born at Manchester, Ontario county, New York, Sept. 5, 1832. He was a great grandson of Job and --- (Chase) Howland, residents of Massachusetts when that colony was a dependency of the British crown. They were blessed by the birth of nine children-Joseph, born Aug. 6, 1738; Edith, born March 18, 1740; Hannah, born Feb. 15, 1744; Mary, born May 30, 1746; Rebecca, born Dec. 10; 1748; Job, born Feb. 3, 1751; David, born Nov. 27, 1753; Abraham, born Sept. 22, 1759, and Gilbert, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, Sept. 25, 1760, he having been a resident of North Adams, Mass., until I8oo, when he removed to Ontario county, New York, where by virtue of the homestead law, he set tled upon a tract of land near what .is now the site of the city of Manchester. The country was then a trackless wilderness, there being but a very few settlers in the immediate vicinity of Gilbert Howland's claim. By the time homeseekers began to flock to that county Gilbert Howland had cleared a considerable part of his claim and rendered valuable assistance to the newcomers by fur nishing them with flour and seed for their first crops. Gilbert was united in marriage to Elizabeth Lapham, daughter of Benjamin and Mary (Mann) Lapham. The father was born July 24, 1715, the son of John Lapham, Jr., and a grandson of John Lapham, Sr., the latter of whom migrated from Devonshire, England, to Prov idence. R. I., some time prior to the year 1700. Some time subse quent to the outbreak of the early Indian wars this hardy pioneer with his wife, whom he married in Providence, removed to Dart mouth, where four children were born to them. Mary (Mann) Lapham was born July 6, 1726, and gave birth to the following children: Lydia, April 6, 1750; Sarah, June 9, 1754; Stephen, Nov. 6, 1755; Gideon, Nov. 2, 1757; George, July 5, 1759; Silas, Nov. 20, 1762;. Abigail, March 12, 1764; Benjamin, Nov. 20, 1766; Ruth, April 4, 1769, and Elizabeth, the wife of Gilbert Howland, born Jan. 29, 1761, and died Aug. 28, 1836. The following children were born to this worthy woman: David, born Aug. 25, 1783, and ex pired on. Sept. 26, 1846; Nicholas, born June 29, 1786, and passed away Nov. 17, 1857; Charles, Aug. 9, 1791, and expired Feb. 4, 1838; ii. 1-c ,, and died Jan. 4, 1848; Mary. born Jan. ii, 1i95, and expired March 21, 1874; Elizabeth, born Sept. 8, 1797, and Jonathan, Sr., the father of the subject of this sketch, who first beheld the light of day Feb. 6, 1789, and passed to the great beyond in the month of May, 1871. He was reared on his father's clearing in Ontario county, New York, and literally "grew up with the country," residing at the parental home until 1816, when he pur chased a farm of his own. in the same township, upon which he continued to live until 1849. During the fall of 1848 he came west to Lenawee county to visit a son who had previously migrated to this vicinity and while here he became so infatuated with the country that he arranged with a distant relative, Thomas How -land, to trade the Ontario county farm for a tract of land which the relative possessed in this county. The terms of the transfer were unique in that they provided that each was to do a certain amount of the spring work, such as ploughing, sowing, etc., and that the trade also involved the transfer of the stock, tools and implements and certain articles of household furniture. The latter provision was made in order to avoid the numerous difficulties of transporta tion, which in those days were exceedingly severe. According to the contract each of the families moved in May, 1849. Jonathan Howland, Sr., resided on his farm on sections 14 and 15, in the township of Adrian up to the time of his death, which occurred on May 11, 1871. In 1812 he had been married to Miss Mary Sprague, a daughter of Michael and Mary (Harris) Sprague, of Manchester, N. Y., who was born in Providence, R. I., on May 4, 1794, and died in Adrian township on Sept. 28, 1849. Her parents were both natives of the state of Rhode Island, and their ancestors had migrated there at an early day from England. Of the eight children born to the parents, six, three sons and as many daughters, grew to maturity. Jonathan Ilowland, Sr., provided well for his children. To each of the two older sons he gave 16o acres of land and to each of the three daughters he donated a dowry of eighty acres and some household furniture. Jonathan, Jr., being the youngest, became the proprietor of the old homestead as his share of the father's estate. During the declining years of his father's life his greatest interest seemed to be the provision and maintenance of every possible comfort for his aged parent. On Nov. 16, 1854, Jonathan Howland, Jr., was united in holy wedlock to Miss Enieline A. Snedeker, a daughter of James J. and Phoebe (Van Aken) Snedeker, of the township of Adrian. Mr. and Mrs. Snedeker were married on Feb. 14,-1834, and had four children, of whom Mrs. How land is the eldest. At her husband's death, which occurred on Dec. 1I. 1899, Mrs. I-lowland was left- with four children-David L., born March 13, 1856; Nicholas A., born Dec. 24, 1857; Frank A., of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, and Fred J., barn Jan. 24, 1872. Mrs. Howland, Jr., still resides upon the old homestead, much respected and esteemed by her neighbors and other acquaintances.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com