History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 60



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
William O'Hunt, vice-president and manager of the Adrian Telephone Company, was born in Adrian on Aug. 20, 1856, the son of William C. and Martha H. (Pierce) Hunt. The parents were both horn in the state of New York, and each came here with their parents about 1836. The father was a manufacturer of pianos and organs in a small way, and also dealt in different makes of the same instruments. His death occurred in April, i88o, and the mother passed away on Thanksgiving day, 1893. Three children were born to the parents, of whom the subject of this review. the second in order of birth, is the only survivor. Adin C., the eldest, died at the age of four years, and Dora N. died when sixteen years of age. William O. Hunt attended the public schools of Adrian, and graduated in the high school class of 1873. For six months after graduation he was with the Clough & Warren organ factory of Detroit, learning the details of the business, and then came back to Adrian and became a partner in-the firm of Berdan & Hunt, music dealers. They first bought the music store of King & Rice, and then purchased the music store of the Constantine Music Company, and for a time had a monopoly on the music business in Adrian. Subsequently Mr. Hunt purchased the interest of Mr. Berdan and conducted the business alone until 1894, in which year he sold to Grinnell -Brothers, of Detroit. He remained in Adrian as manager for the firm for two years, and then became the promoter for the Detroit & Lima Northern railway, now known as the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton, and was influential in getting a right of way through Adrian. For six years he was in the employ of the railway, after it was incorporated and put in running order, as traveling passenger and freight agent, with which he combined other duties. About 1896 the Adrian Telephone Company was promulgated and Mr. Aunt became interested in it. In 1903 he severed his connection with the railroad to assume the active management of the company, which, under his careful guidance and direction as vice-president and manager, has grown to be a concern of large proportions. He has been active in politics for a number of years, always on the side of the Democratic party. As the candidate of that party he served as mayor of the city from April, 1896, to April, 1897, and in 1902 and 1903 was a member of the city council, as one of the representatives of the old Fourth Ward, now the Third Ward. Beside his interest in the telephone company he is president of the Adrian Produce Company and a director in the Adrian State Savings Bank. Fraternally he is associated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Blue Lodge of the Masonic order. On June 15, 1881, was celebrated his union to Miss Ella D. Young, a native of New York and a daughter of the late William Young, a pioneer of Adrian. To this union was born, on Jan. 25, 1883, a son, Harold 0., who graduated at the local high school in the class of 1go1 and four years later received the degree of Bachelor of Arts in the literary course at the University of Michigan. He is now associated with the Minnesota Trust Company of Minneapolis. Mr. Hunt is a talented musician and for more than twenty years was the leader of the opera house orchestra. As the leader of Hunt's Orchestra he was known locally and throughout the state as "Ollie" Hunt. Walter S. Goff, recent owner of the W. S. Goff Stock and Dairy Farm, was born in Blissfield township, Lenawee county, March 28, 1884, the son of Walter S. and Helen A. (Magill) Goff. His great-grandfather, Sewall S. Goff, was born in Royalston, Alass., Jan. 11, 1811. When a young men he went to Niagara county, New York, living at Lewiston until 1829, when he came to Michigan and settled on section 29, Blissfield township, where he continued to reside until his death, which occurred on Jan. 23, 1865. On June 13, 183o. Sewall S. Goff was united in marriage to Mrs. Esther M. (Frary) Buck, the widow of Samuel Buck. Her daughter, born of her first marriage became the wife of Frederick Cannon. Three children were born to- Mr. and Mrs. Sewall S. Goff : a son, who died in infancy; Warner AV., and Almira A., who married Almond L. Bliss, of Adrian. Mrs. Esther M. Goff was born on Sept. ii, i8o9, and passed away in Blissfield on May 29, 1839. Sewall S. Goff's second wife, to whom he was married in 1840, was Miss Lucy Frary, the sister of his first wife. Lucy (Frary) Goff was horn on Feb. 5, 1820. Her father, David Frary, came to Michigan in 1817, when the Territory was almost an unbroken wilderness and inhabited by Indians. He located in Monroe county and resided there until his death on Oct. 1, 1820. Mrs. Lucy Goff was the mother of three children. Philander K. was born Dec. 24, 1943; Leslie T., April 1, 1845, and John H., March 28, 1849. Mrs. Goff died in Blissfield township, July 31. 1850, The next year, 1851, Sewall S. Goff was married to Flavilla Schenck, a native of Fulton, N. Y.. who came to Michigan to teach school. There she met and married Mr. Goff. She contracted tuberculosis, from which she died in December, 1852. In 1855 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Goff and Miss Emeline Van WWrormer, who is still living. Warner W. Goff, the subject's grandfather, with the exception of five years, always lived upon the farm where he ended his life's career. It is the old homestead of his parents, located just northeast of the corporate limits of Blissfield, on the west side. He was engaged in farming all his life, and was a very public-spirited man, took an active part in local affairs, had the honor of being justice of the peace for twenty years, and was also a member of the school board. On April 19, 1853, Warner W. Goff was united in marriage to Imogene Peters, the daughter of James S. and Susan (Squire) Peters, of Preble, Courtland county, New York. Four children were born to this union. Willis E. and Margaret L. died in infancy; Walter S., born June 17, 1858; and Burton L., born Sept. 6, 1861, died May 7, 1863. Imogene (Peters) Goff was born in Preble, Courtland county, New York, May 27, 1836, and came to Michigan in 1850 to live with lieu uncle, Richard Peters, the founder of the village of Petersburg, Monroe county. She taught school in Monroe and Lenawee counties prior to her marriage. Her father, James Peters, vas a native of Johnstown, N. Y., where he was born on May 28, 1802, and died in Cincinnati, Ohio, Dec. 27, 1853. Mrs. Goff's mother was a native of Connecticut and a sister of Jay Gould's father. She died in Syracuse, 1T. Y., July 29, 1847. Walter S. Goff, Sr., married Miss Helen A. Magill on June 20, 1883. Her parents were pioneer residents of Michigan. William Magill, her father, was a successful lumberman of the state. Mrs. Helen Goff was born at Freesoil, Mich., April 12, 1854. She bore one son, Walter S., Jr., the subject of this sketch. Walter S. Goff, Sr., died June 26, 1886, and was survived by his widow until Feb. 19, 1894, when she, too, passed away at Hudson. Walter S. Goff, Jr., the subject of this sketch, rereceived his education in the public schools of Blissfield, graduating in the West Side High School in the class of igo2. After finishing his studies he went West, and was married at White Oaks, N. Mex., Oct. 5. 19o2, to Anna M., daughter of David S. and Emma C. (Ford) Hull. Mr. Hull was born in New Jersey, July 7, 1838, and Mrs. Hull at Eaton Rapids, Mich., April 6, 1857. They now reside in llissfield township, near the Goff farm. Mrs. Goff was born in Deerfield, May 27, 1883, and received her education at Petersburg, Monroe County. Six months after his marriage, Mr. Goff returned to Britton and engaged in farming, -with his father-in-law, D. S. Hull. -In the fall of 1903 he bought a half interest in the Blissfield Advance, from John C. Howell, then bought the other half, and for two years he managed this newspaper with marked success, at the expiration of which time he was able to dispose of his interest to advantage to H. D. Winte. For six months Mr. and Mrs. Goff traveled extensively. Their trip took them down through Texas and into old Mexico, where they had the honor of dining with the vicepresident, Senor Carral. They remained in Mexico several weeks, enjoying the sight-seeing in that beautiful, picturesque country, before passing tip the western coast to San Francisco. From the Golden Gate they sailed to the Hawaiian islands, there spent three weeks, and returned to the United States by the way of Vancouver, 11. C. Mr. and Mrs.. Goff were in San Francisco just previous to the terrible earthquake, April iS, 1906. Upon his return to Blissfield Mr. Goff bought the farm owned. by his grandfather, where he took up his residence. At different times he bought more land until he became the owner of about 300 acres of the best farming land in L enawee county. He went into the dairy business upon a large scale, and accumulated a herd of cattle which numbered about forty head. He erected seven fine barns on his place and put up three new silos. He had stable room for eighty cows in addition to room for all his other live stock. Recently he sold his farm and dairy interests to Henry Ross, who is conducting the business along the same general lines.. Mr. Ross is an energetic and very capable farmer and dairyman, and under his proprietorship the business is being continued with the same vigor and resultant success that characterized it under its former owner. T\-Ir. Goff is at present connected with the Kalamazoo Tank and Silo Company, but still maintains an active interest in agricultural and dairying pursuits. Mr. Goff is a Republican in politics, and takes an active interest in local affairs. IIe is prominent in fraternal circles, being a Knight Templar of the Masonic Order, a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of Adrian,. and of the Eastern Star. He has always taken an intense interest in newspaper work. and is now a member of the Amateur Press Association. In this Twentieth century, which is one of progress, it is the younger men who are forging to the front in commercial and industrial life. Although only twenty-five years of age, Mr. Goff is regarded as one of the sound and substantial business men of this locality. Two children have been 'the issue of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Goff: Alice M., born Feb. 11, 1904, and Aubrey O., born June 5, 1908. Fred L. Hughes, one of the most successful business men in Adrian and the representative of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company of Springfield, Mass., was born in Allegan county, Michigan, on March 27, 1867. His father was Solomon B. Hug-lies, a pioneer resident of Allegan county, born in Pennsylvania, Feb. 2, 1826, and died Nov. 14, 1895, in Ilillsdale county. His mother was Sarah Emma (Belden) Hughes, born at Georgetown, Madison county, New York, Feb. 21, 1833. When she was but four years of age her parents moved to Middlefield, Geagua county, Ohio, where she was reared and educated, the seventh child in a family of nine.- There she met Solomon Hughes, and their marriage occurred at her home in 1851. The parents remained on the family homestead with Mrs. Hughes' widowed grandmother until they moved to Michigan in 1859. The father drove through the country with' a few household possesions that the family took with them to their new home. The mother, the aged grandmother, an aunt, and three small children started out to make the adventurous journey to Michigan alone.. They went by way of Cleveland and Detroit to Kalamazoo, where the father met them and they proceeded together to Allegan county and there they established a home in the almost unbroken wilderness of Watson township. At that early day the country was covered by virgin forest, and Mr. Hughes cleared his farm, built a home and reared a family. of six children, the younger three of whom were born in Allegan county. Here on the first Michigan homestead the parents lived for twenty years. Mrs. Hughes' youngest daughter became her constant companion; they lived at Rollin village, Seneca county, and for the last few years resided at Vicksburg, Kalamazoo county. Mrs. Hughes saw the friends of her youth, middle life and later years pass away-father, mother, sisters and brothers, husband and children-and on Feb. 21, 19o8, at the age of seventy-five years, she, too, took the long journey. - On the frontier, schools were scarce and she was not only a, mother, but also a teacher to her children. Interested in all the questions of the day; she was a great reader and took an active part for many years in the reform movements for the benefit of the community in which she lived. For over forty years she had been a believer in spiritualism and had no fear of death, as she felt that when the end of life cane she would join her beloved ones and know no parting again. Fred L. Hughes, the subject of this review and the next to the youngest child in the family, was the youngest son. He received an excellent educational training at the Quaker school in Rollin township and subsequently attended the Fayette Normal School. After finishing his studies he engaged in the mercantile business with his father, and after the parents' death he managed the store himself until about ten years ago, when he began to handle life insurance. In 1901 Mr. Hughes came to Adrian and opened up an office as the representative of the Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company, of Springfield, which was incorporated in 1851. He has been remarkably successful in the business, and is conceded by the home office to have more business for the size of the territory he covers, than any other local agent. He has written over $3,000,000 insurance for i,ooo policy holders, which speaks for itself, and as he represents but this one company, well establishes not only his business ability, but his personal popularity. In politics he is allied with the Democratic party, but while he takes an active interest in the welfare of the community he has never aspired to hold public office. On Jan. 25, 1896, Mr. Hughes was united in marriage to Miss Lura M. Doolittle, at Adrian. She is the daughter of Charles H. Doolittle, a pioneer of Hillsdale, Mich., who came to this state at an early day and entered government land in Wheatland township, where he still resides. Mrs. Hughes was born on her father's homestead and received her educational training in the excellent public schools and subsequently attended the high school at Hudson, where she graduated with honor. After finishing her studies she taught for nineteen terms in IIillsdale county schools before her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Hughes are the parents of three boys and one girl-Lawrence B., born Dec. 26, 1897, in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county; Lloyd I., born Feb. 8, 1901. in the village of Seneca, Lenawee county; Charles W., born March 8, 1904, at Adrian, and Helen M., born June 6, 1908; at Adrian. Mr. Hughes has his office at 3 West Maumee street and resides at 8 Park street. Barzillai Hurry, retired, one of the respected citizens of Tecumseh, was born on a farm in Franklin township, Lenawee county, June 16, 1844, the son of John and Harriet (Pawson) Hurry, both born in England. The father came to Lenawee county in 1834 and for a year was engaged in the construction of the Chicago turnpike. Then he purchased eighty acres of land and gradually added to it until at the time of his death in 1865 he owned 120 acres of the finest farm land in the county. His wife, whose death occurred ten years after her husband'-,, came to New York with her mother in 1832, and subsequently came to Michigan, where she was married to Mr. Hurry, in 1842. The father was a Republican in his political belief and he and his wife were mem-. hers of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Barzillai Hurry, the only child of his parents, was reared on a farm and received the limited educational advantages afforded by the common schools of his day. For some years he assisted his father in the conduct of the home farm and subsequently purchased the old G. D. Perry . farm, four miles west of Tecumseh. There are altogether 170 acres in the property and up to 1801 Mr. Hurry did a general farming business, making an exceedingly paying proposition of it by hard work and the application of modern methods. In the year above named Mr. Hurry removed to Tecumseh and now owns a beautiful home in that city, though he still retains the title to the farm, which he leases. - In his political relations he has always been a staunch Republican and served the township four years as justice of the peace. Fraternally he is allied with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, and with the State Grange, and has the distinction of having been the first master of the first grange-that at Tipton-organized in Lenawee county. Mr. Hurry has been twice married. On Dec. 22, 1868, was celebrated his union to Miss Harriet E. Love, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Austin Love, who were very early settlers in Franklin township. Two children were born to this union, both of ivhom died in infancy. Mrs. Hurry died in 1872, and on March 12, 1874, Mc. Hurry was united in marriage to Miss Adella DuBois, a native of Mason, Mich., the daughter of Rev. Robert and Harriet (Wells) DuBois. Reverend DuBois, who was a minister of the Gospel of the Methodist Episcopal faith, was horn in St. Lawrence county, New York, on Dec. 12, 1820, and his wife's birthday was April 9, 1821. He came to Michigan when a boy, his first charge was the church at Dundee, Mich., and he died in Ann Arbor, Washtenaw county, in 186o. His widow, who came to Hillsdale county with her parents, Roderick and Mary (Greenleaf) Wells, in 1839,. died in Tecumseh on April ig, 1902. Mrs. Hurry was educated in the Ann Arbor schools and was engaged in teaching for six years prior to her marriage. The issue of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Hurry has been four children. Clarence B., born July 28, 1876, was graduated at the Tecumseh High School and in lgoo at the Universityof Michigan. For five years he was employed as a statistician by the United States Government, but is now associated with the Street Railway Advertising Company of New York City. His wife was formerly Miss Alice Fryer, and they have one child, Ross. Charles D. Hurry, born April 13, 1878, completed his course in the University of Michigan in igoo, and for some years was in-ternational secretary of the Young Men's Christian Association. He is now continental secretary for South America of the same organization. His wife was formerly Miss Daisy Girton, of Madison. They are at present (igog) residing in Buenos Ayres, Argentine, S. A. Harriet Adelle Hurry, born April 4, 188o, graduated at the University of Michigan and has for two years been engaged as instructor in Latin in the Tecumseh High School. The youngest child; Robert Bruce, was born Feb. 4, 1883, and died Sept. ig, 1886. Mr. and Mrs. Hurry are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and take an active interest in the various organizations connected therewith. Their children were all reared in that faith. Nathaniel Jackson has been a resident of Lenawee county for nearly forty years and that he is now numbered among the prosperous farmers of the county is due to his own energy and ability, for he has been dependent upon his own resources from his boyhood days and has always been one of the world's valiant army of workers. He is now the owner of a well improved farm of forty acres, in Clinton township, on rural free mail delivery route No. 3. His career has been characterized by inviolable integrity, hence he has not been denied the-full measure of popular confidence and regard in the county which has so long represented his home. Mr. Jackson was born in the city of Baltimore, Md., Feb. 20, 1851, and is a son of Peter and Sarah (Boyce) Jackson, both natives of Ireland, where their marriage was solemnized before they immigrated to America. They took up their abode in the city of Baltimore, where they remained until the inception of the Civil war, when they removed to Philadelphia, where the devoted wife and mother died in 1862. The father had in the meantime enlisted as a private in Company A, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania infantry, commanded by Col. John W. Geary, who rose to the rank of brigadier-general, and after the war became governor of Pennsylvania. He continued in active service with this regiment until the close of the war, and was a faithful and gallant soldier of the republic, but did not long survive to enjoy the advantages of the united nation whose integrity he had aided in preserving, as he died in 1866, hence the subject of this sketch was but fifteen years of age ,when thus doubly orphaned. Nathaniel Jackson gained his early educational training in the public schools of various states and while yet a mere lad began to provide for his own maintenance, by taking up any sort of work which came to hand. He was not lacking in ambition and definite purpose and he knew the "uses of adversity" through his own experiences: In 187o he came to Lenawee county, Michigan, and here he worked by the month until he had saved, through much self-denial, the sum of $i,ooo. With this capital he engaged in the buying and shipping of sheep, but his operations were not successful and he met .with the loss of the greater portion of his hard-earned savings. This did not dampen his courage, however, and he forthwith turned his attention once ,more to working by the month, principally on farms. In 1884, after he had placed another $i,ooo to his credit, he utilized his earnings in purchasing his present farm, which comprises forty acres, most eligibly located in Clinton township. He has brought his farm to a high state of cultivation and productiveness, has erected good buildings on the place and installed other modern improvements, while he has utilized scientific principles in the carrying forward of all departments of the farm enterprise. His energy and progressive ideas have thus enabled him to gain independence and to claim one of the attractive homesteads of this favored section of the Wolverine State. In politics, while never an aspirant for public office, Mr. Jackson gives an intelligent and active support to the principles of the Republican party. He is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Baptist church. On Sept. 3, 1896, Mr. Jackson was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude May Smith, who was born in Seneca township, this county, May 1g, 1878, a daughter of William H. and Lucy (Onweller) Smith, both natives of this county, the former born in 1854 and the latter in 1857. William H. Smith is a son of Christopher and Margaret (Van Sickle) Smith, who were numbered among the sterling pioneers of Lenawee county, where they continued to reside until their death. James and Mary (Alward) Onweller, the maternal grandparents of Mrs. Jackson, were also pioneers of Lenawee county, and Mr. Onweller was a valiant soldier in the Civil war. He died in Morenci, Mich., and his wife in Ohio. William H. and Lucy Smith became the parents of six children, of whom three are living. Concerning the three children of Mr. and Mrs. Jackson the following brief data are entered Sarah Lucy, born April 25, 1898, died in infancy; Lela May, born Sept. 9, 1902; and Nathaniel Winfield, born April 30, 19o6. Samuel Jackson, a prominent contractor and builder of Lenawee county, who resides at Blissfield, was born in Riga township, that county, Dec. 6, 1872, the son of John A. and Marguerite (Gull) Jackson. The mother, a native of Germany, was born in 1846, and the father was born in Queen Anne county, Maryland, in 1836- He was a carpenter by vocation, who came west in an early day and located in Northern Ohio, where for some years he was employed in a sawmill. In 1855 he settled in Riga township and for many years was engaged at his trade. In 1890 he purchased a farm in Riga township, on which he now resides. Six children were born to the parents. Lillie A. (Jackson) Randolph lives in Adrian township; Hattie (Jackson) Robbins lives in Palmyra township ; William P. is a resident of Tipton, Mich.; Emma (Jackson) Scott also lives in Tipton; and John is in the employ of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railway, with headquarters in Adrian. Samuel Jackson enjoyed the limited educational advantages afforded by the district schools of Riga township, and after he had completed his scholastic training he worked by the month for different farmers until he was twenty-three years of age. He then learned the carpenter's trade and ever since he mastered it has been lucratively employed. One of the latest structures which he has erected is a home of his own, modern in every detail and beautiful in its architectural design. Mr. Jackson is independent of party affiliation -in his political views, and his deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the United Brethren church. On June 30, 1894, was celebrated Mr. Jackson's marriage to Miss Lola May Eddy. born in Riga township on March 7. 1874, the eldest of the four children of William and Mary' (Randolph) Eddy, the others being Minnie (Eddy) Goodwin, a resident of Pennsylvania; Cora (Eddy) Bancroft, living at Cedar Springs, Mich.,; and David Eddy, living with his widowed mother. Mr. Eddy was born in Riga township in 1854 and died in Blissfield on June 28, 19o6. To I'll-. and Mrs. Jackson was born, on Sept. 20, 1895, a daughter, Myrtle Alice. Alfred James, a prominent citizen of Tecumseh and a dealer in fire, plate glass and accident insurance, was born at Southampton, England, May 12, 1831. He is the son of Samuel and Ann (DeMier) James, both born in England. the former on Dec. 27, 1787, and the latter on Sept. 27, 1790. The father served his apprenticeship in the druggist's business in his native land and in 1832 brought his family to Canada. In' 1843 he came to Ann Arbor, then he came to Tecumseh in April, 1845, and took up agricultural pursuits. Subsequently he embarked in the mercantile business, dealing chiefly in 'groceries and crockery, which furnished him a livelihood until the time of his death, which occurred in 1864. His widow passed away in 1889. Early in his life the father was a Whig, but later allied himself. with the Democratic party. His father, Rev. Samuel James, was a rector of the Church of England, and he was all his life devoutly attached to that society. Five sons and two daughters were born to the parents, but two of whom, Alfred and Mrs. Emily B. Wright, Survive. Alfred James. the subject of this review. received his educational advantages in the common schools of Sandwich and Windsor, Essex county. Ontario. After the family removed to Tecumseh he entered the mercantile business with his father, and for seventeen years was continuously and successfully engaged with him. After the parent's demise he continued the business alone for a time and then engaged in the insurance business, dealing in fire, plate glass and accident policies. For twenty-two years he has conducted the business which still occupies his tine and attention, and in which he has made an exceptional success. In 1894 Mr. James erected ill Tecumseh i1 hat is known as the James Block, a three-story brick structure with a floor space 41 by 10o feet. and now has his office in that building. Beside these interests he is a stockholder in the Anthony Fence Company and the Tecumseh Manufacturing Company. He has been unswerving in his allegiance to Democratic principles and has held numerous offices as the successful candidate of that party. For nine years he was supervisor and during one year of the time acted as chairman of the board. He has served three terms as president of the village; fourteen years as a member of the village board ; three years as township treasurer, and one term as deputy sheriff. On Sept. 6, 1831, Mr. James was baptized by his grandfather, Rev. Samuel James, in St. Mary's Episcopal Church of Southampton, England, and has ever since been one of the devout communicants of that faith. Fraternally he became allied with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, in 1855, and is now also identified with Tecumseh Chapter, No. 52, Royal Arch Masons, and Blanchard Council, No. 34, Royal and Select Masters. He is also a member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 19o, Knights of Pythias, and is one of the charter members of Tecumseh Chapter, No. 5r, Order of the Eastern Star, which was organized at a meeting held at his home. On Sept. 16, 1856, was celebrated Mr. James' marriage to Miss Mary J. White, a native of Syracuse, N. Y., and daughter of William and Eliza White, both of whom• are deceased. Four children were the issue of this union. Samuel A., the eldest, is engaged in the wholesale glove and mitten business in Detroit, Mich. ; Alfred W. is a dealer in ladies' furs in Detroit.; Elida DeMier is the wife of Dr. E. F. Gamble, of Coldwater, Mich., and \Valter E. is deceased. Otto E. Johnson, well known in the commercial life of Adrian as the president of the Maple City Granite Company, Incorporated, was born in Sweden on June 5, 1865, the son of Anders and Louisa (Erickson) Johnson. Both parents were born in the old country and passed their entire lives there, the father being for forty-one years a dairyman for Lord Rojsjolt, and when he retired was granted a pension by that nobleman. Of the eleven children born in Sweden eight are now living, two sons and two daughters in America. One son, Albert, lives in the state of Oregon; Mrs. Hilma Johnson makes her home in Chicago, Ill., and Mrs. Anna Cain in Lansing, Mich. Otto E. Johnson is the eighth in order of birth of the children of his parents. He received the excellent scholastic training afforded by the schools of his native land, and when twenty years of age came to the United States, locating in Adrian. During the first eleven months after his arrival he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, devoting his leisure moments to the study of the English language and American institutions. At the end of that period he removed to Adrian and secured employment of W. H. Harrison, of whom he learned the trade of granite cutting. After he had mastered the vocation he went to Jackson and worked there as a journeyman for a short period. Upon his return to Adrian he became an employe of the Michigan Granite Company,, and for fourteen years labored faithfully in their behalf, becoming meantime thoroughly conversant with every detail of the business. For a short time also he labored in a wider field, being associated with Cartwright Bros., of Detroit, Mich. In January, 19o2, in partnership with John A. Walker and John Anderson, who remained a partner until his death, when his place in the partnership was taken by Andrew Anderson, whose sketch appears elsewhere. in this work. Mr. Johnson established the Maple City Granite Company and was made president of the concern, so that today he is the owner of a one-third interest in one of the most enterprising and flourishing companies in Southern Michigan. The plant is fully equipped with the most modern and improved machinery, and all appliances known to the business, such as finishing, polishing, carving, lettering and tracing ma-chines, compressed air machines and a hoisting crane, power being furnished by electric motor. The quality of the work turned out has won patronage for the concern from all parts of the state. In his political views Mr. Johnson is aligned with the Republican party, but has never sought public office for himself. His deeply religious nature finds expression in membership in the Methodist Protestant church, to whose material and spiritual welfare he has contributed liberally. Fraternally he is identified with the Knights of the Maccabees. On Sept. 12, 1889, was solemnized Mr. Johnson's marriage to Miss Barbara Hoenes, a daughter of Matthew Hoenes, a respected pioneer of Adrian. Six children, namely, Leona E., Elsie, Donald, Clarence, Annie and Yvonne, have been the issue of this union. Leona, the eldest, now nineteen years of age, is a talented musician and has delighted many Adrian audiences with her ability. The Johnson home is at 35 Erie street.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com