History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 61



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
George N. Jones, who for many years was connected with Waldby & Clay's State Bank and is now devoting himself to the management of his agricultural interests, was born in Madison township, Lenawee county, Nov. 29, 1868, the son of John F. and Lucy R. (Crane) Jones. The father was one of eight children of Samuel and Lydia (Gardner) Jones, and was born Oct. 30, I819, in De Ruyter, Madison county, New York. Previous to coming to Lenawee county, in 1850, he married Miss Ann E. Hi- ins, of Pultneyville, N. Y. His first residence in the county was in Madison township, where he lived for several years. After the death of his wife he married, on Jan. 14, 1864. Miss Lucy R. Crane, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George L. Crane, of Madison township, and for three years they made their residence in the city. Then the father added more land to his holdings in Madison township and removed there with his family, making that his home until July, 1876, when he returned to the city and moved into the house which he had erected at 24 Broad street. In addition to his farming interests he did a general business in veterinary surgery and was known throughout the city for his skill in that line. At his death, on Dec. 16, 1905, he left besides his widow, three children, Harriet Belle, now Mrs. Carleton S. Hoag, of Detroit; George Nelson, of this sketch, and Jennie Elizabeth; now Mrs. Otis M. Peavey, of Adrian. Both daughters graduated at the high school.' George N. Jones left that institution before he had completed his studies to enter the employ of the Waldby & Clay State Bank as a messenger. From that position he was promoted to teller and later to assistant cashier, which place he was filling when he resigned in 19o6 to assume the management of the agricultural interests left by his father at his death. His farm consists of 134 acres of excellent land, which he devotes to general farming and more especially to dairy work. Mrs. Hoag has Too, acres adjoining his and Mrs. Peavey 16o acres in Adrian township, and Mr. Jones attends to the management of both these farms. In 1908 Mr. Jones was the can didate of the Democratic party for county clerk, and although lie made an active campaign and his popularity was attested by his running far ahead of the other men on the ticket, he went down in defeat with his party. Fraternally he is associated with the Be nevolent and Protective Order of.Elks. Although he is not a mem ber he attends divine worship at the Episcopal church, to which his wife belongs_ On June 23, 1847, was celebrated in Christ Epis copal Church the wedding of Mr. Jones and Miss Elizabeth Clark, a daughter of the late Fred Clark, of Adrian. To this union has been born one daughter, Wilma Elizabeth, now seven years of age. The Jones home is at Division street, which was a wedding gift from Mr. Jones' father. Leonidas M. Jones, M. D., a prominent physician of the homeopathic school, was horn at Hanover, Mich., Dec. 12, 1874, the son of Dr. Oliver Q. Jones, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. At the age of six years the subject of this review came to Tecumseh with his parents, and received his educational advantages -in the schools of that village. After graduation at the local high school he matriculated in the Detroit Homeopathic Medical College and was there graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1906. Prior to graduation he served two years as interne in Grace Hospital, and when he started upon the practice of his profession in Tecumseh, he was thoroughly equipped for an active career. Politically he is absolutely independent of party ties, preferring to exercise his right of franchise as his best judgment dictates rather than at the will of party leaders. In a fraternal way Dr. Jones is prominent in a number of orders. He is allied with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42. Royal Arch Masons; Blanchard Council, \o. 34, Royal and Select Masons; Adrian Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templars, and the Tecumseh Lodges of the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Modern Woodmen of America and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. Professionally he is a member of the Ustion Medical Society of Detroit, and in religious matters is allied with the Methodist Episcopal church. In 189was celebrated Dr. Jones' marriage to Miss Lena Wyrill, a daugl ter of the late Thomas Wyrill, who died in Tecumseh in 1905, and was one of the pioneer settlers of the community. To Dr. and Mrs. Jones has been born a son, Oliver Quincy. Dr. Jones has a host of friends in Lenawee county and they predict for him a brilliant future iii his chosen profession. Oliver Quincy Jones, M. D., one of the foremost physicians of Lenawee county and a resident of Tecumseh, ,w-as born at Camden, Hillsdale county, Michigan, April 24, 1851. He is the son of Leonidas Meltidas and Charlotte Ann (Holcomb) Jones. The former, of Welsh extraction, was born in Painesville, Ohio, on Aug. 24. 1822, and the latter in Canandaigua, N. Y., July 4, 182r. The paternal grandfather, James Benair Jones, -,vas born in Wales about 1790, and emigrated to America about 18o5, locating in Connecticut. and later at Painesville, Ohio, where he married Miss Lois Olds.. about 1811. He served as a captain in the American army during the War of 1812, and as early as September, 1828, came west to Michigan. He located in Hillsdale county and became the first settler of Jonesville, the village being platted and named in his honor. By profession he was a civil engineer, but later devoted his time to other enterprises. In Jonesville he erected the first hotel, which became known as the Fayette House, and again he answered the call of his country by enlisting for military service in the Black Hawk war. His death occurred in Grimes county, Texas, in I86i, and his widow, nee Lois Olds, a native of Ohio. lived with her son, Leonidas, at Brooklyn, Mich., until her death in 1875. They were the parents of eight children. Their only daughter was born on the banks of the St. Joseph river, on the site of the present village of Jonesville, and was the first white child born in Hillsdale county. -Leonidas M. Jones, the father, came to Jonesville with his parents and received the limited educational advantages afforded by the district schools of his day. He was for a time engaged in the hotel and grocery business, and on May 24, 1851, with his family, consisting of a wife and two children, removed to Grimes County, Texas. He there entered 320 acres of land tinder the homestead law. Subsequently he was appointed a collector for, the State Orphan Asylum of Texas. which position he held for five years, and during that time he visited on horseback every county seat in the state, some of them several times. While attending to his duties in this capacity he regained his lost health and devoted his spare moments to the study of medicine. While traveling over the state he met a Dr. King, a homeopathic physician, who first interested him in the study of medicine in that school, presenting hint with a work on homeopathy, which Dr. Jones read, and which caused him to adopt that school of medicine. In 1858 he was granted the degree of Doctor of Medicine by the Cleveland Homeopathic Medical College and returned to Camden, Mich., to open an office. After two years he removed to Brooklyn.. Jackson county, and there, on July 4, i86o, started the practice in which he was successfully and lttcratively occupied for forty-five years, or until his death on Jan. 30, 1905. His wife died in 1883. In his early political relations he was a Whig, but after the ohsorption of that party by the Republican organization he became a Democrat. and remained true to the principles of. that party until the Prohibition party was given birth. He and his wife ,vere devout members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and he contributed to the material and spiritual advancement of that society by building at his own expense a .\Methodist chapel and by acting as class leader for many years. In 185.1 he was made a member of the -Blue Lodge of the Masonic order at Jonesville; in 186 he became one of the charter members of the Brooklyn Chapter, and later was made a Knight Templar in the Jackson Conimandery. Dr. Oliver Q. Jones, the subject of this review, received his preliminary education in the schools of Brooklyn and at the age of seventeen years entered his father's office to begin the study of medicine, into which profession he had determined to enter. In 1871 he matriculated at the Cleveland Homeo-pathic Medical College, where his father had graduated some years before, and on Feb. 12, 1873, was given the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Upon his return to Brooklyn he became associated with his father and remained with him until 1874. On Feb. 1g of that Year he was united in marriage to Miss Delia A. Sanford, of Brooklyn, and on Oct. 28 of the same year opened an office in Han-over, Jackson county, for private practice. There 'for seven years he was successfully engaged, and when he left on Oct. 28, 1881, it was to form a partnership with Dr. R. B. House, his brother-in-law, in Tecumseh. Ever since that time Tecumseh has been his home and the citizens of that village have come to recognize him as one of its ablest and most progressive men. Professionally he is prominently identified with the State Homeopathic Society and the Michigan State and the Lenawee County Medical societies. Dr. Jones was first made a Mason in 1878. He is now a member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons; Blanchard Council, No. 34, Royal and Select Masters; Adrian Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templar; Moslem Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Detroit, and is a Scottish Rite Mason. On Oct. 27, 1907, he was elected president of the Harry R. Winn Class, Michigan Sovereign Consistory, Ancient, Accepted Scottish Rite, Valley of Detroit, which honor and distinction he holds for life. Both Dr. and Mrs. Jones are members of the Friends church of Tecumseh. They have one son, Leon-idas M., now a practicing physician of Tecumseh. Wade L. Jones, junior member of the firm of J. M. Jones & Son, merchant tailors, of Tecumseh, was born in that village on Aug. 4, 1884, the son of James M. and Florence L. (DePuy) Jones. Both parents were born in Tecumseh, the father on May 15, 1856, - and the mother on Dec. 25, 1857. The paternal grandfather, David Jones, was born in Wales in 1824 and came to Tecumseh with his wife, nee Aline Meredith, in 1851. He, too, was a tailor, and for a time after coming to Tecumseh worked for a Mr. Scherer, but later established a business under his name. His death occurred on Aug. 6, 1904, and his wife's demise was on Jan. 1o, 1900. The maternal grandparents, James V. and Maria (Whitenack) DePuy, were born in the Empire state in 1821 and 1820, respectively, and both died in Tecumseh, Mr. DePuy in 1871 and his wife in 1801. James M. Jones, the father, received his educational advantages in the Tecumseh schools and served his apprenticeship in the tailor's trade tinder the preceptorship of his father. For a period of six years he was in the employe of Kies Bros., and then, in 1887, engaged in a partnership known as Jones & Hazlett. This was continued until 18g1, and from that year until the partnership was formed with his son, he was in business alone. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias. the Royal Arcanum, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. \\rade L. Jones, the subject of this review, is the only child of his parents. He received his education in the public and high schools of Tecumseh and when he had completed the course in the latter institution he learned his vocation in the employ of his father. In the spring of 19o6, in connection with his father, he established the merchant tailoring establishment of J. M. Jones & Son, which is now recognized as one of the leading and most modern establishments of its kind in Lenawee county. Mr. Jones has given unswerving support to the men and measures of the Democratic party. As the successful candidate of that party he served for two years as township clerk and is now serving his second year as village clerk. Fraternally he is prominently identified with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons, Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons, and Blanchard Council, No. 34, Royal and Select Masters, and is also a member of the Tecumseh Lodge, Knights of Pythias. On Oct. 22, 1907, was solemnized Mr. Jones' marriage to Miss Lena F. Smith. To this union was born, on Oct. r, rgo8, a daughter. Mrs. Jones is a member of the Presbyterian church. Clarence E. Judson, telegraph operator at Lenawee junction, was born on a farm in Raisin township, on Feb. 4, 1850. He is the son of Lucius V. and Mary O. (Horton) Judson, the former born in Monroe county, New York, Aug. 30, 1826, and the latter a native of Orange county in the same state. The paternal grandfather, Lucius Judson, was a farmer by occupation and caine to Raisin township first in 1832. The same year he entered a tract of government land in the township and in 1834 brought his family west. This continued to be his residence until his death, about ten years , after his coming. The father continued on the same place, clearing and improving it, and replacing the old log cabin with a modern brick dwelling, the brick being made on the farm. In 1888, the Wabash railway having purchased a right of way through the property, which made it less desirable for farming purposes, the father sold the place and purchased another in Raisin township, where he has since resided. He continued in the active management of the place until a few years ago, when he retired, and although he still makes his home there the operations are conducted by others. The father was twice married. His first wife died in February, 1865, leaving two children, Clarence E., of this review, and Mary A., the wife of Charles A. Newton, of Addison. To his second marriage, which occurred in r866, five children were born, namely: Alice M., wife of Frederick Hauser, a farmer near Hanover, Mich. ; Frank V., a farmer residing in Raisin township; Clara, wife of Norman Bixby, a carpenter, living in Adrian, and Fred and Floyd, both farmers in Raisin township. Clarence E. Judson took advantage of the educational training afforded by the Raisin township district school, the Raisin Valley Seminary and Adrian College. When eighteen years of age he became a school teacher, the institution of which he had charge being near his home. Two years later he left home to learn the art of telegraphy at Lenawee Junction and has been there ever since with the exception of four months at Sandusky, Ohio, and six months at White Pigeon, Mich. He served in the double capacity of agent and operator until the junction was made a freight station, since which time he has acted as operator, a period of forty years.. Within the past few months Mr. Judson has sold his properly adjoining the railroad property at the junction and has purchased a farm of 125 acres one and one-half miles front the station. In the matter of politics he is allied with the Democratic party, bait has never aspired to become an office holder. On July 15, 1875, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Judson and Miss Harriet E. Calkins, born in Palmyra township on April 13, 1853, the daughter of Lor-entus and Sophia (Hollister) Calkins. ' Mr. and Mrs. Calkins were both born in New York, the father in \Vayne and the mother in Genesee county, and the former was in early life a carpenter, but later became a farmer. Four children were the issue of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Judson : Glenn M., the eldest, born Jan. 20, 1879, now a railroad man, employed in Ohio, married Miss Kittie B. Goff, and to them two children were born - Clarence (now deceased), and Ronald; Lynn C., born July 15, 1887. graduated at the Raisin Valley Seminary in 1905, and Sarah Beulah. born Feb. 17, 1890, graduated at the Adrian High School in 19o8, and now lives with her parents. Lynn C. married Miss Jennie Bartholomew, who Was born in Pennsylvania, and a graduate of Raisin Valley Seminary, and now lives on a farm belonging to AMIr. Judson. Paul, the second child, born March 22, 1883, died in infancy.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com