History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 62



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Frank D. Kellogg has significantly manifested in his career that power of concentration and consecutive application which makes for definite success, and he is now numbered among the representative business men and influential citizens of Lenawee county. He is one of the proprietors of the Morenci Roller Mills and is a business man of aggressive policy, marked discrimination and honorable methods. Mr. Kellogg is a native of the old Buckeye state, where the family was founded in the pioneer clays of that great commonwealth of the Union. He was born at Swanton, Fulton county, Ohio, Sept. 30, 1857, and is a son of Darwin and Mary F. (Abrams) Kellogg, both natives of the state of New York, where the former was born May 14, 1825, and the latter Jan. 14, 1829. Darwin Kellogg was a child at the time of his parents' immigration from the Empire state to Ofiio, and the family located in Huron county, where he was reared to manhood and where he was afforded the advantages of the common schools -of the period. In his youth he learned the trade of millwright, and he followed this for three years at Delta, Ohio, after which he located in Swanton,' Ohio, ,where' he eventually became the owner of a good farm, and where he also owned and operated a saw mill. He continued to reside at Swanton until 1889, when he came with the subject of this sketch to Morenci, Mich.,, where he lived virtually retired thereafter until his death, which occurred Dec. 24, 1905. His wife died at Swanton, Ohio, Oct. 2, 1885, and of the two children Frank D., of this review, is the elder; the younger son, Eugene P., died in childhood. Darwin Kellogg was a Democrat in his political allegiance and he and his wife were consistent members of the Universalist church. Frank D. Kellogg was reared to maturity in his native town, where he was afforded the advantages of the public schools, including the Sivanton High School. After leaving school he was engaged in farm wook for a time, and he then entered upon an apprenticeship at the miller's trade, in Swanton, where he remained for the ensuing seven years. He then, in 1889, came to Morenci, Mich., where he formed a partnership with Charles F. Buck and effected a lease of the Morenci Roller Mills, which the firm continued to operate under these conditions until 1902, when Mr. Kellogg purchased the property from J. H. Cochran, of WW%illiamsport, Pa. The mills have been brought tip to the highest modern standard, the capacity has been doubled, and the business controlled is constantly expanding in scope and importance. In 1904 Mr. Kellogg erected his present beautiful residence in Morenci, and he has otherwise shown his loyalty to the village of his adoption and the one in which his interests are now centered. In political matters he is found arrayed 'as a stanch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, though he has had no ambition for public office of any description, and he and his wife hold membership in the Congregational church. He is a member of the Nlichigan Millers' Association, and is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, of Adrian, and the Knights of Pythias. As a citizen he is essentially publicspirited, and he is ever ready to lend his aid and influence in support of measures and enterprises tending to enhance the prosperity of his hone village and county. On April 20, 1882, Mr. Kellogg was united in marriage to Miss Cora M. Gibbs, daughter of Edwin F. and Lucretia (Monger) Gibbs, both of 4vhoni were natives of the state of -New York, and both of whom died at Swanton. Ohio. where Mr. Gibbs was a representative merchant. He was a Republican in politics and he and his wife were devout members of the Methodist Episcopal church.' Mr. and Mrs. Kellogg have three children, namely: Charles Ray. Glade and -Mary Rena. The elder son is a valued employe in his father's mill and is one of the popular young business men of Morenci.



William J. Kerr is a pioneer farmer of Raisin totii'nship and one of its Irish born citizens, having been born in the Enerald Tsle on March 4. 1837. He is the son of Robert and Mary (henry') Kerr. who passed their entire lives across the water. . NIr. Kerr's educational advantages were limited to the opportunities afforded by the common schools of his native land. When but sixteen years of. age, this enterprising young character crossed the ocean and came to Michigan, settling in Raisin township. For a number of years he worked at various occupations, and by the practice of the strictest economy and frugality managed to accumulate a sufficient competence to enable him to purchase eighty acres of land, which he has since farmed. The measure of success he has attained is best judged by his standing in the community, in which he is regarded as one of the most advanced and scientific agriculturists, as well as one of the most prosperous. Mr. Kerr has given staunch support to the principles of the Democratic party ever since he- became a voter, but has never found the leisure to devote to becoming a candidate for official honors. He is naturally of a deeply religious nature, which finds expression in membership in and attendance upon the services of the Presbyterian church. In 1873 was celebrated Mr. Kerr's marriage to Miss Nancy Murdock, a daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Graham) Murdock. Mr. and Mrs. Murdock ,vere both born in Ireland and came to this county early in its history, shaping themselves a home on land which they purchased from the government, and there passed the remainder of their lives. To Mr. and Mrs. Kerr were born four children-Samuel J., Della J., Minnie I. and Kenneth D., all of whom survive, Mrs. Kerr died in May, 19o4, and her passing was a distinct loss to the community, which had come to. revere her as a woman of many fine qualities.



Julia Porter Greene, M. D., is a skilled medical practitioner, who has risen to a position of prominence and respect in the community in which she resides. Dr. Greene was born in 1lantua, Ohio, May 8, 1847, the daughter of Joseph A. and Caroline Merritt (Case) Porter. She received her early education in the district school of Chester, Ohio, and from there went to Geauga Seminary, Chester, where she graduated with honor. The Doctor obtained her literary education at Hiram College, Ohio, and in 188o and 1881 served as head nurse at Monat Union Sanitarium, Ohio. She determined to make the study of medicine her life work and went to Cleveland, where she graduated from the Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College, with the degree of doctor of medicine in the fall of 1886. Immediately after graduation Dr.. Greene came to Adrian, where she has since engaged in the active practice of her chosen profession_ At various tines she has broadened her first course by taking the practitioner's course in the homeopathic department of the University of Michigan. Dr. Greene is medical examiner for the Independent Order of Foresters, the Ladies of the Maccabees and the Knights and Ladies of Security. She has made the diseases of women and children and skin diseases her specialty, and has met with marked success along these lines. Professionally the Doctor is allied with the Homeopathic Medical Society of the State of Michigan, the Lenawee County Medical Society, and the Cleveland Homeopathic Hospital College Alumni Association. She Las held various state and local offices in the Woman's Christian Temperance Union, since the inception of that organization, and takes an active interest in all questions of the day, and especially those concerning the welfare and progress of the community. On 1\Tov. 16, 1866, Julia Porter was united in marriage with A. D.. Greene. She has two sons =Louellon H., of Newbury, ,Ohio, and Forest W., who lives at Burton, Ohio. George J. Kempf, of Tecumseh, is one of the representative contractors and builders of Lenawee county and is a member of a family whose name has been identified with the annals of this county for half a century. Here he has made his home from his boyhood clays and has risen through his own efforts to a position of priority as a successful business man and loyal and popular citizen. Mr. Kempf claims the old Keystone State as the place of his nativity, since he was born in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, July 16, 1854, a son of Matthew and Elizabeth (Hostler) Kempf, both of whom were born and reared in Germany, where their marriage was solemnized. Upon their immigration to America they settled in Pennsylvania, where the father's death occurred in 1857. Mrs. Kempf subsequently became the wife of George Kelnpf, a brother of her first husband, and the family continued to reside in Pennsylvania until I86o, when they came to Lenawee county, Michigan, and settled in Macon township. There George Kernpf purchased a farm, which he has developed into one of the valuable places in that section of the county and which continues to be the home of himself and his wife, both now venerable in years and numbered among the honored pioneer citizens of the county. They are zealous and consistent members of the Lutheran church, and Mr. Kempf is a Democrat in his political proclivities. Matthew and Elizabeth Kempf became the parents of two children, of whom the subject of this review is the elder, and his sister, Catherine, died in 1895 in Lenawee county. Of the second marriage eleven children were born, seven of whom are still living. George J. Kelnpf, to whom this sketch is dedicated, was about six years of age at the time the family took up their residence in Lenawee county, and he was reared to maturity on the home farm in Macon township, where he was duly afforded the advantages of the public schools of the period. He has never lost interest in the great basic art of agriculture and takes pride in the fact that he is the owner of a well improved farm of eighty acres in the township which represented his home for so many years. He continued to be actively identified with farm work until he had attained to the age of eighteen years, when he entered upon an apprenticeship at the carpenter's trade, in connection with which he became in due course of time a skilled artisan. He has since been continuously identified with the work of his trade and through his ability, recognized integrity and well directed efforts has gained a secure place as one of the leading contractors and builders of the county, where are to be found many evidences of his skill and fidelity in his chosen vocation. Mr. Kempf took up his residence in Tecumseh in April, 1896, having previously maintained his home on his farm, in Macon township, and this city has since been his place of residence and the headquarters of his business operations. Fie has held contracts not only for the erection of many of the best residences in this section of the county, but has also been a successful contractor in connection with public and business buildings of the higher type. He was associated with Frank Pocklington in the erection of the Masonic Temple in Tecumseh, the Globe Flour Mills, the fine hall of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the addition to the Anthony Fence Company's large building, and many other business buildings and private residences in both Tecumseh and Blissfield. He is inflexible in his devotion to the terms of his contracts and this fact has given him a high reputation as a business man, while it has also been a potent factor in conserving his success. Mr. Kempf is a progressive and public spirited citizen, is found arrayed as a stalwart supporter of the principles of the Democratic party and takes a loyal interest in local affairs. He served two years as township treasurer of Macon township, but has never been a seeker of public office. He and his wife hold membership in the Baptist church of Tecumseh, and he is affiliated with the lodge and encampment bodies of the Inde-pendent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as the adjunct organization, the Daughters of Rebekah, and is also a member of the local tent of the Knights of the Modern Maccabees. On Christmas day of the year 1878 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Kempf to Miss Rosamond Gregory, who was born in Steuben county, New York, April 7, 1858, a daughter of David and Julia Ann (Miller) Gregory, both natives of Steuben county, New York, the former born Feb. 9, 1818, and the latter on April 28, 1822. They were married in Steuben county, New York, on June 7, 1837; came to Lenawee county in 1866 and settled on a farm in Macon township, where they passed' the remainder of their lives, the father passing away on' Feb. 22, 1896, and the mother on March 17, 1878. Mr. and Mrs. Kempf have four children, concerning whom the following brief data are consistently entered: David G., born in Macon township, Nov. 8, 188o, resides upon the homestead farm in Macon township, and is one of the successful and popular young agriculturists of this section of the county. He married Miss Eliza Sample and they have three children-Irving, Irene and Fay. Andrew L., the second son of the subject of this sketch, born Oct. 16, 1885, is a carpenter by trade and is associated with his father's various building operations. He married Miss Pearl Cole and they have three children-Rena, Charles and Rosanna. Leonard, born Aug. 30. 1892, and Leroy C., born Jan. 11, 1896, the younger sons, are residing at home with their parents.



David King, one of the enthusiastic and enterprising agriculturists of Lenawee county, was born in Palmyra township, Sept. 23, 18J7, the son of Elijah and Harriet King. His parents were both born in England and were married in that country prior to coming to the United States in 1847. The father was a gardener in his native land, but after his arrival in this country he worked for others in Ohio for some eighteen months. During the two years imlnediately following be resided in Adrian, where he worked in a brick and tile yard and assisted in the erection of one of the city's largest buildings. Having saved sufficient from his income, he purchased the farm where his son David now resides, and lived there until 1879. He then determined to retire, and, leasing his farm, moved to Tecumseh, where he lived quietly until his death in 1899. His wife died when their son David was a mere infant. Five children were born to the parents. Samuel is a farmer near Clinton, Mich.; Sarah Ann resides in Palmyra township; David is the subject of this review; Eli is a farmer in Fairfield township; and Emily is the wife-of Ganford Mack, now residing in Wisconsin. David King's educational advantages were such as were afforded by the common schools of his native township. Until he was twenty-one years of age he resided with his parents, and then for a period worked by the month. After his marriage he settled on the farm which his father had first occupied, and has since continued his residence there. He now devotes himself to -general farming, not specializing in any one branch of the science. Besides this place of sixty acres, to which he now holds the title, he has two farms of forty acres each, one of which his oldest son now conducts. Mr. King expects to reside on his present place the balance of his life and has made all the improvements with the view of making it his permanent home. His only fraternal relations <
                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com