History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 70



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Joseph Henry Smith, well known in the financial circles of Lenawee county, was born in Cambridge township of the same county on April 26, 1853. His father was William H. Smith, who was born in Onondaga, N. Y., on April 16, 1831, and came to Michigan with his parents when he was but two years of age. The family located on section four of Cambridge township in 1836, and it was necessary for the father to cut timber for a distance of four miles in order to get to their property, which was on the shores of Stony Lake. William H. Smith remained with his parents on the farm, helping to clear it, until 1851, and then started to learn the carpenter's trade, a vocation which he followed until the time of his death. In 1849 he was united in marriage to Miss Julia Herrick, born in Ireland, on June 12, 1830, Who came to Lenawee county with her brother and two sisters, in 1844. She died in Tecumseh on Aug. 22, 1897. She and her husband were the parents of six children, but two of whom, Joseph Henry and Charles D., survive. The father was married a second time, and his widow survives him, his death having occurred at Tacoma, Wash., on Feb. 25, 1907. His remains are interred beside those of his first wife, in Tecumseh. Joseph Henry Smith can trace his ancestry back five generations. His great-great-grandfather, Aaron Smith, was born in Worcester, Mass., in 1745, and died there in 1840, at the age of ninety-five years; his great-grandfather, born in Worcester in 1773, died there in 1848, and his grandfather, Henry Smith, was born in Worcester in 1798, migrated to Onondaga county and thence to Cambridge township in 1833, where he died in 18gi, at the age of ninety-three years. Mr. Smith. the subject of this review, received his educational advantages in the common schools of Cambridge township and with a course at Adrian College. When seventeen years of age he became apprenticed in the carpenter's trade and after five years, in which he mastered tale trade, he was engaged in contracting and building until 1883. In that year he removed to Tecumseh and assumed the management of a lumber yard and a sash and blind factory, a position which he retained for one and one-half years, when he became associated with the Tecumseh Fire Insurance Agency for one and one-half years. During the five years immediately following he was cashier of the private bank of O. P. Bills & Company, and in April, 1893, he organized the Tecumseh State Savings Bank, and has ever since been cashier of the institution. Mr. Smith has held many positions of public trust. For two terms, of two years each, he was clerk of Cambridge township; has been town clerk and treasurer of Tecumseh township, and treasurer of the village, and in March, 1903, stepped down from the office of president of the village, after three successive terms. For the past fifteen years he has been one of the trustees of the Tecumseh High School, and has recently been elected to serve three years more. In religious matters Mr. Smith is a member of the Presbyterian church, of which he has served as trustee for the past ten years. Fraternally he is prominently identified with the Tecumseh Lodge of the Masonic order, having held nearly all the chairs in the lodge, and is a member of the Adrian Commandery, Knights ' Templar. On Jan. 1, 1877, was solemnized Mr. Smith's marriage to Miss Mary F. Rogers, a daughter of R. L. and Susan A. Rogers, horn in the town of Cambridge, on Aug. 22, 1854. Mr. Rogers, a pioneer of Cambridge township, was born on Feb. 3, 1831, in Steuben county, New York, and his wife was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, on Sept. 1, 1833. Their marriage occurred Sept. 28, 1853. Two children came to bless the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Smith : Laverne W. was born in Cambridge township on Oct. 10, 1877, and after graduation from the Tecumseh High School in 1896, served five years in S. W. Anderson's dry goods store in Tecumseh, and then became associated with W. C. McConnell, the Adrian merchant,; Lena F. was born in Cambridge township, Jan. 19, 1883, graduated from the Tecumseh High School in 1900, and on Oct. 22, 19o7, was united in marriage to Wade L. Jones, a merchant tailor and village clerk of Te-. cumseh, and to them, on. Oct. 1, 1908, was born a daughter, Marion E. Leonard Stadler, a well known and thrifty German farmer, of Palmyra township, was horn on July 23, 1854, on the farm where he now lives. He is the son of Leonard and Barbara («firth) Stadler, the former born in Germany in 1822, and the latter in the same country on June 10, 1832. The father served six years in. the German army and in 1852 immigrated to this country. He first settled in Toledo, but remained only a short time, coming thence to Palmyra in the same year. He cleared and improved the farm and resided there until his death, on Jan. 1, 1878. The mother now makes her home with her son, Leonard. Four children were born to the parents: Margaret is the widow of Thomas Engle, of Palmyra township; Leonard''is the subject of this review; Mary died at the age of four years; Barbara is the wife of Edward Gray and lives on the adjoining farm. Leonard Stadler's educational training was received in the district schools of Palmyra township, the schools of Blissfield and the German school at Riga. As soon as he was old enough to assist in the manual labor on the farm, he became an employee of his father and continued to work as such until the time of his parents' demise. Since that time he has had active charge of the management of the place, and has made of the property one of the most productive farms in the township. He devotes 'most of his attention to dairying, and his herd is recognized as one of the best in the vicinity. Fraternally Mr. Stadler is identified with the State Grange and in the matter of politics is absolutely independent of party affiliation, preferring to exercise his right of suffrage as his conscience and judgment dictate rather than be hampered by party ties. On March 12, 1888, Mr. Stadler married Miss Agnes Moll, born in Prussia, Germany, July 25, 1859, the daughter of Carl and Augusta (Miller) Moll. Mr. and Mrs. Moll were born on Feb. 22, 1825, and March 7, 1829, respectively, and came to the United States in 1861. They located first at Cleveland, Ohio, where Mr. Moll plied his trade of carpenter until 1870. In that year they removed to Blissfield township, this county, and resided there on a farm which Mr. Moll had purchased until 1877. Thence they removed to Deerfield to live for a short time, and then Mr. Moll retired and returned to Blissfield, where he died in 1906. His widow now makes her home with Mr. Stadler. Four children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Moll. ` Gustave B. resides in Petersburg, Monroe county, Michigan; Bernard is a dentist residing in Chicago, Ill.; Richard B. is deceased, and Agnes is now Mrs. Stadler. To Mr. and Mrs. Stadler was born on Jan. 16, I9oI; a daughter, Iva Lorena. By a former marriage Mr. Stadler is the father of two children-Edgar Thomas, born Aug. 29, 1883, now married and residing on a farm in Madison township, and Anna C., born Sept. 25, 1885, lives with her father and has the misfortune of being totally deaf. Mrs. Stadler by a former marriage is the mother of a son, Richard Minster, born \TOv. 8, 1877, now married and an employee in the beet sugar factory in Blissfield, when it is in operation. Fred E. Stearns, the popular proprietor of the Pleasant View Dairy Farm of the township of Deerfield, was born on Feb. 17, 1561, in the village of Deerfield, the son of Martin and Harriet (Rouse) Stearns. The father, born Nov. 8, 1828, and the mother on Feb. 29, 1832, natives of Germany, and the former a shoemaker by trade, settled in the above mentioned village in an early day, and was there actively engaged at his calling up to a few years ago. Though he no longer maintains a regular place of business he caters to the wants of a few of his old customers. The mother is still living in the village of Deerfield. They have eight worthy sons and daughters: Florence E., living in Toledo, Ohio; Frances E., residing at Owosso, Mich. ; Phylena E., residing at the parental home; Fred E., the subject of this sketch; Orcelia DeEtt, a school mistress, of Riga, Mich. ; Harriet H., living at home; Mary J. (Stearns) King, residing at Blissfield ; and Martin H., a railroad brakeman of Carey, Ohio. Fred E. Stearns received his elementary educational training in the schools of Deerfield village. His supplementary training was acquired in the larger school-the school of life, which many maintain is the best place to acquire practical knowledge. After the passing of the days of elementary training, he went to \Vvandotte, Mich., where for one season he was employed as a section hand on a railway. He then returned to his native village and entered the employ of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway Company in the capacity of a section hand and served for four years. So faithfully did he discharge his duties that he was promoted to the responsible position of section foreman. For thirteen years, by day and by night, in sunshine and in storm, he zealously attended to the affairs pertaining to his section, which was one concerning which the roadmaster of that division did not have cause for worry. He next assumed the role of a farmer on the farm of his father-in-law, the old McWilliam place, in the township of Deerfield, upon which he remained for one year. In 1898 he exchanged his property in the village for 118 acres of land situated only about three-fourths of a mile from the village of Deerfield, which place is still his residence. He at once proceeded to. install thereon a system of drainage, which has materially improved the soil of the farm, and he, almost singlehanded, erected the commodious barn which adorns the place. From the first, he took a deep interest in dairy farming, and today he conducts the sole milk route of Deerfield village. Politically he is a Democrat. That his executive ability and his judgment are respected by his fellow men is shown in the fact that for two terms, while he was a resident of Deerfield village, he was a member of the village council and for six years a member of the school board. On Christmas eve, in the year 1888, in the village of Deerfield, he was united in marriage to Miss Viola McWilliam, daughter of Adam and Jane (Cannon) McWilliam. The father, a native of Deerfield township, still resides on his farm, which is in the corporation limits of Deerfield village. The mother, a native of England, passed away on Feb. 11, 1904. Mrs. Stearns was born on Jan. 11, 1865, in Deerfield village, and there received her schol-astic training. The subject of this sketch and his wife have been blessed with the birth of six children: Velma G., born Nov. 1g, 1889, who graduated from the Deerfield High School on May 27, 1909 ; Laura J., born June 1, j8911, Ruth Iola, born Sept. 21, 1894; Mac W., born Sept. 28, 1896; Julia D., born April 5, rgo1, and Ada P., born July 19, 1903. The family is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Stearns is a member of the Masonic order, now serving his third year as worshipful master of Tracy Lodge, No. 167, Free and Accepted Masons, Deerfield, Mich., and he and wife are both members of the Order of the Eastern Star. Mrs. Eva M. Smith, the founder and proprietor of the Eva M. Smith Hospital, which was established in 19o6, is a graduate of the Tecumseh High School in the class of 1898. For two years she was engaged in teaching school and for a few months was a student at the University Hospital at Ann Arbor, Mich. She has read considerable in developing her efficiency as a nurse and has come to be recognized as one of the most proficient in her line. Mrs. Smith, whose maiden name was Eva M. Camburn, is a foster-daughter of Eugene Camburn, a retired farmer now living in Tecumseh, and her grandfather was "Uncle Joe" Camburn, a pioneer and an extensive land owner of Franklin township. She has undertaken a worthy enterprise in attempting to interest the business men at Adrian in a community hospital, but has so far been unsuccessful. The needs of the city and her undaunted courage in attempting to bring about the erection of the hospital will undoubtedly have the desired result within a few years. The hospital which she now conducts is full to overflowing, and among the medical practitioners of the city the idea prevails that nowhere will a patient receive better care than tinder Mrs. Smith. A special department for rheumatics and neurasthenics has recently been added to the hospital, which is located at No. 29 Park street. Philip C. Snell is numbered among the representative business men of Tecumseh, where he is engaged.in the general merchandise trade, and his success is the more gratifying to contemplate from the fact that it represents the results of his own efforts as one of the world's gallant army of workers. Mr. Snell was born in the town of Jay, Essex county, New York, Jan. 31, 1849, a son of Abram and Susan (Emmons) Snell, the former of whom was born in Kensington, Vt., in 1804, and the latter in New Hampshire, Dec. 25, 1812. Both families were founded in America in the Colonial days and both now have representatives in the most diverse sections of the Union. Abram Snell died at Jay, N. Y., in the year 1854, and his widow continued to reside there until 1865, when she came to Michigan in company with the subject of this sketch, and thereafter resided in Petersburg, Monroe county, until her death, which occurred in 1896. Of the five children three are living, and of these Philip C. is the youngest. John Snell, the paternal grandfather, was a blacksmith by trade, but upon his removal to the state of New York he took up government land and reclaimed a farm in Essex county, where he was a pioneer settler. He lived in that county during the residue of his life. William Emmons, maternal grandfather of him whose name initiates this article, was a soldier in the War of 1812. He followed the lumbering business in New York, and was killed in a log rush on the Saranac river. His wife, whose maiden name was Parker, died in Saranac, N. Y. Philip C. Snell was reared to maturity in his native county, where he was afforded the advantages of the common schools,, and he was about sixteen years of age when he came with his widowed mother to Michigan. He early assumed responsibilities and initiated his independent career as a worker on a farm. For a time he was employed in a stave factory in Monroe county, and later he identified himself with railroad work, in which line of activity he continued for many years. In 1877 he took up his residence in Tecumseh, which village has since represented his home, and he continued in the employ of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railroad until 19Q4, having commenced as a section hand and later having held the position of section foreman. His ability and faithfulness gained him successive promotions and at the time of his retirement he held a responsible position with this company. On Dec. 1, 1904, Mr. Snell engaged in the mercantile business in Tecumseh, where he has built up a prosperous enterprise and gained a representative patronage. He is the owner of his store building and other property in the village, and is known as a substantial and reliable citizen. His political faith is indicated by the zealous support which he accords to the _cause of the Republican party, and both he and his wife hold membership in 'the Methodist Episcopal church. He is affiliated with the local lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, as well as the encampment body of the order, and he and his wife hold membership in the adjunct organization, the Daughters of Rebekah. She was one of the charter members of Tecumseh Rebekah Lodge, No. 338, and was its first noble grand. On Nov. 8, 1874, Mr. Snell was united in marriage to Miss Ida M. Ferry, who was born in Ottawa county, Michigan, May 28, 1851, a daughter of Harwick and Roana (Bowen) Perry. Her father was born in the state of New York, May 24, 1823, and her mother in Vermont, Nov. 30, 1827. Harwick Perry was a son of Booth and Rebecca (Harwick) Perry, who came to Michigan about the year 1829. The former died in Ottawa county, Michigan, Nov. 29, 1868, and the latter in Wayne county in 1844. Harwick Perry took up his residence in Eaton county in 1853, in which year he settled on the homestead farm which he still owns. There his loved and devoted wife died in 1901, at the age of seventy-three years. They were married in Malwaukee, Wis., in 1846, and of their eight children, six sons and one daughter are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Snell have two children-Frances is the, wife of Garland Gillespie, of whom mention is made on other pages of this publication, and they have three children-Arlene, Geraldine and Frances; Lula is the wife of James A. Davis, a bookkeeper at the Solvay works, in Detroit. Albert J. Stewart, the owner of a finely improved and well equipped farm in Palmyra township, was born in Antrim, N. H., Feb. 24, 185o. He is the son of Robert C. and Caroline (Stickney) Stewart, both born in New Hampshire on April 16, 1816, and Nov. 27, 1823, respectively. The father was a shoemaker by vocation, but later became a farmer and did odd jobs at his trade while not busy at his farm labors. In 1854 he moved-to a farm in Ohio, about nine miles distant from Ashley, and subsequently removed to another part of the state. The mother's death occurred on Feb. 12, 1876, and the father from that time until his death, which occurred on April 22, 1878, made his home with his son, Albert J. Six children were born to-the parents, of whom four are now living. Albert J., the eldest, is the subject of this review; Frank C. is a farmer residing near Cardington, Ohio; Carrie is the wife of Willis Julian, a farmer living near Marengo, Ohio; and Henry L. is a retired farmer living at Ashley, Ohio. Albert J. Stewart's educational training was received in the district and high schools of Ohio. As soon as he was of sufficient age he began "hiring out," and was thus employed until the time of his marriage. For two years thereafter he rented a farm adjoining that of his father-in-law, and then came to Raisin township, this county, where he worked for a season with Edward Wilson. During the next year he worked a farm which he rented in that same township, and the next three years was engaged on a farm in Palmyra township. At the end of that time he had accumulated a sufficient sum to enable him to purchase thirty-seven and one-half acres of wholly unimproved land, where he now resides. He cleared and improved the land, and at the present time has a finely equipped place. Besides this property, he owns a farm of thirty-two acres in Morrow county, Ohio. He devotes himself to no especial branch of agriculture, believing that general farming is the best paying proposition. Starting with no capital, save a determination to succeed, a 'fine physique and plenty of natural ability, Mr. Stewart has attained an enviable position, and his example is well worthy of emulation. In Igol Mr. and Mrs. Stewart made an extended trip to California, visiting two of Mrs. Stewart's uncles, and also an aunt, Mrs. Anna Hyde. One of the uncles is editor of a periodical called Dague's Plain Talk, and while a resident of Iowa was a member of the state senate. He was the author of the famous "Tramp Bill," which became a law at the 1897 session of the California legislature; he has written extensively on the subject of capital and labor. The other uncle owns considerable property in Los Angeles,,and now resides on a fruit farm thirty miles out of the city. In the matter of politics Mr. Stewart is staunch in his support of the Republican party, but has never aspired to office. On Oct. 27, 1870, in Ohio, he married Miss Addessa T. Benedict, born in Bennington township, Morrow county, Ohio, March 30, 1848, the daughter of Aaron and Caroline (Dague) Benedict. Her father was born on Jan. 21, ISI7, and'in 19o5 he died at the age of eighty-eight years, in the same home in which he was born and reared. Mrs. Benedict, who died several years previous to her husband, was born on May 25, 1830. To Mr. and Mrs. Stewart were born two children, the second of whom died in infancy. Bertha, the surviving child, born Nov. 4, 1871, has been twice married. By her first marriage she is the mother of a daughter, Hazel Gilson, now living with her mother. Her second marriage was to Albertus Bunker, a farmer living in Morrow county, Ohio. Mr. Bunker was a widower with two sons-Lee, now attending school in Adrian, and Rolden. Wilfred M. Stoner, D. D. S., is prominent among the progressive and successful young professional men of Adrian. He was born at Arkona, Ontario, Sept. 15, 1882, the son of George and Isabella (Mitchell) Stoner, both of whom were born in Ontario, and still reside there. The father is a farmer, and beside the subt ject of this sketch has one other son, Norman, who lives at home and assists his parents. Dr. Stoner early decided upon a professional career and after his preliminary education was finished he went to Chicago, where he graduated from the Chicago College of Dental Surgery with the class of Igo6. Immediately after graduation he came to Adrian in June, and established himself in the active practice of his profession. Dr. Stoner holds the degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery, and during the brief period he has resided in the city he has built up an excellent practice. Not only is the consulted by the best residents of Adrian, but people all over Lenawee county come to him for treatment. The Doctor is meeting with most gratifying success, which he well deserves. He has most progressive ideas and is always interested in public questions. In politics he is affiliated with the Republican party, and fraternally he is a popular member of the Knights of Pythias. His religious views are expressed by his membership in the First Baptist Church of Adrian. While in college Dr. Stoner became a member of the Delta Sigma Delta, a professional college fraternity, and is now a member of its alumni association. The Doctor's office is located in the new Lenawee County Bank building, and he resides at 92/ North Main street. Perry E. Tayer, M. D., one of the youngest physicians in Lenawee county, was born in Adrian on March 1, 1883. The paternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Tayer, came across the country to Adrian from New York with an ox team, and are still living in the city, their residence being located on Beeclier street, just across the stone bridge. Both parents, Benjamin E. and Nellie (Parsons) Tayer, were born in this county, the father in Madison and the mother in Woodstock township. The father left the parental farm when a youth and worked as a laborer for a time. For six years he was street commissioner of Adrian, and then for seven years was engaged in the draying business in the same city. On March 1, 19o8, he removed to Detroit, where is now engaged in the Sanitary Dust Removing Company,,the "Blue Wagon" service, which cleans houses, churches, etc., with a combination of compressed air and suction. There were two children born to the parents, the Doctor and a sister, Louise A., who is now employed in the Michigan Central freight office in Detroit. Both are graduates of the Adrian High School, the Doctor in the class of 1902, and the sister in the class of 1907. Dr. Tayer's professional training was received in a two years' course of study at the University of Michigan, and two years more at the Detroit College of Medicine, and he was graduated at the latter institution in 19o6 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. For a year he served as an interne in St. Mary's Hospital in Detroit, in order to become more thoroughly conversant with the practical side of his profession, and on June 1, 1907, he opened an office in Adrian. Although he has been engaged but a- comparatively short time he has already laid the foundation for an excellent practice, his patients being among the best class in the city. He has neat offices on North Main street, and makes his home at the Y. M. C. A. building, where he has a suite of rooms. In politics Dr. Tayer is an adherent of Republican principles, and fraternally is associated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Although he is not a member, he attends regularly the divine worship of the Presbyterian church. Fred D. Teachout is prominent throughout Lenawee county as a horse dealer and makes his home at Tecumseh, where he is regarded as one of the foremost citizens. He was born on April 11, 186o, in Cambridge township, the son of Charles and Harriet A. (Barrus) Teachout, the former born in New York on Feb. 2, 1837, and the latter in Rome township, Lenawee county, on Sept. 7, 1839. The paternal grandparents. William and Rachel (Wells) Teachout, were natives of New York who came to Lenawee county in 1854, locating on a farm in Cambridge township. There the grandmother died and the grandfather spent his last days in Tecumseh, his demise occurring in April, 1870. The maternal grandparents, Dellencee and Emily (Smith) Barrus, were also immigrants from New York. Mrs. Barrus' father, David Smith, was one of the first settlers of Wolf Creek, in Adrian township, and had the distinction of being the first man to catch a bear in the county. Both maternal grandparents passed away at Wolf Creek. The father, Charles Teachout, was an agriculturist in early life, and in 1867 assumed the management of the Halfway House at Adrian. From there he removed to Rome Center, where he was engaged in the hotel business for three and a half years. Thence he returned to Adrian, and his last days were spent in Brooklyn, Mich., where he died in 1899, leaving, besides his widow, who is still living, two sons, Fred D. and Claude E., the latter now proprietor of a hotel in Brooklyn, Mich. The father was a Republican in his political relations and fraternally was allied with the Masonic order. Fred D. Teachout, the subject of this review, took advantage of the educational opportunities afforded by the public schools and remained on his father's farm until he was sixteen years of age. He had always manifested a great liking for horses, and he then determined to make the training of and dealing in horses a life business. Between 1891 and 1895 he was connected with the L. I. Biddle Stock Farm, and the animals raised tinder his direction have become famous as trotters and driving horses. Since that time he has lived in Tecumseh, and has devoted all his time to the business of training, breaking and selling animals, an industry which has brought him a lucrative income. Mr. Teachout has always been unswerving iri his allegiance to the Republican party and as the successful candidate of that party is now serving his fourth year on the village board. On Feb. 27, 1889, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Teachout to Miss Cora E. Jones, a native of Tecumseh and the daughter of David Jones, mentioned more particularly elsewhere in this work. To this union have been born two children-Charles M., who will graduate at the Tecumseh High School in the class of 1909, and Harriet A., now a junior in the same institution. Mr. Teachout's fraternal relations are with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons. He received the appointment of deputy sheriff in January, 1909, from L. L. Knowles, sheriff of Lenawee county.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com