History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 71



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
George W. Tietz, a member of the firm of Tietz & Freytag, of Adrian, extensive dealers in meats, groceries, etc., was born in Toledo, Ohio, April 25, 1875, the son of William and Barbara (Fritz) Tietz. Both the parents were born in Germany, where the father served seven years in the army. He was a blacksmith by trade and was thus engaged in Toledo, but after coming to Adrian, where he died on Feb. 15, 1885, was engaged in the saloon business. The mother is still a respected resident of Adrian, living at 129 Michigan street. Two sons were born to the parentsGeorge Air., of this sketch, and Fred, who was born in Adrian and now makes his home with his mother. George W. Tietz graduated at the Adrian High School in the class of 1896. On Sept. 13, 1897, he accepted a clerical position with J. Fred Betz in the grocery business and continued with him for a period of ten years. In partnership with J. Fred Freytag he opened on March 4, 1907, the establishment which they are now conducting at the corner of Tecumseh and East Maumee streets. The venture proved a success from the start and is now bringing the proprietors satisfactory incomes. Their goods are of the best quality and their store is recognized throughout the city as one of the first class. Mr. Tietz is a Republican and as the successful candidate of that party is now rounding out his fourth successive term of one year each as a member of the board of supervisors from the Fifth ward. For two years he was commander ' of the Lenawee Tent, No. 452, Knights of the Maccabees, and now is lieutenant commander of Adrian Tent, No. 145, Knights of the Modern Maccabees. During the season of 19o8 he was one of the directors of the Adrian Baseball Association. He is a member of the Adrian Industrial Association and, although not a member, he attends St. Stephen's German Lutheran Church, to which his mother belongs. On Oct. 3, 1906, Mr. Tietz was united in marriage to Miss Della M. Sl1erman, daughter of Mrs. Louise Sherman, of Toledo, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Tietz live in the home at 79 Frank street, which Mr. Tietz erected in reo6. Daniel Todd, M. D., the oldest practicing physician of Adrian, was born in Peterborough, N. H., Dec. 17, 1827. He is the son of James B. Todd, born Nov. 25, 1787, who in turn was the son of John Todd. James B. Todd lived in Peterborough until 1828, moving in the spring of that year to Genesee county, New York, where he had purchased a farm of the Holland Land Company in Byron township. He cleared 216 acres, built good buildings, and there made his home until his death on May 27, 1863. On Feb. 8, 1816, he was married to Miss Sarah Appleton, the daughter of the I-Ion. Isaac Appleton, of Dublin, N. II.. by whom he had eight children, two of whom died in infancy. and six grew to maturity, and the only survivor is the Doctor. The mother was born in Dublin on March 5, 1790, and lived to be nearly 10o years old. The ancestors of the Todd family were of Scotch-Irish mixture, and the founder of the American line came to this country early in the eighteenth century. Dr. Todd was reared on a farm and lived with his parents until he was seventeen years of age, leaving- home then to attend the Alexander Seminary in Genesee county, where he remained for a period of two years. In the. spring of 1848 he began his professional study under ,the preceptorship of Dr. Burdett J. Lynde, of Byron. , In July. 1849, he matriculated in the medical department of Harvard College, and during his vacation of the next year he made a trip into the West with the idea of determining upon a place in which to locate when he should have finished Harvard the next year. He first visited Wisconsin and on his return stopped for a time with his sister, Mrs. Thomas F. Moore, who resided in Medina, Lenawee county. During that summer of 1850 there was an epidemic of typhoid fever in the county, and Dr. Kibbie, of Canadaigua, induced him to spend the remainder of his vacation here and assist in the treatment of the victims. Dr. Todd had made a study of the disease at Harvard, and so his remaining was a great boon to those afflicted. His stay convinced him that it would be more practical for him to finish his medical study in some institution nearer the scene of the field he had chosen for his labors and he decided to enter the Cincinnati Medical College. The illness of his father that fall upset his plans and he returned to his home, but subsequently was enabled to graduate at the Buffalo Medical College in 1851 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. In the same year he returned to Canandaigua and began his professional practice. Four years later, in 1855, he determined to obtain a larger field and purchased a farm in Madison township just outside the corporate limits of Adrian, where he resided until 1870. Since that year he has made his home in the city and has enjoyed a large and lucrative practice. Notwithstanding the fact that Dr. Todd swears allegiance to the Democratic party in all matters relating to state and national issues, he is more liberal in his views on local affairs. He has been the recipient of many official honors. For two years he served Madison township as supervisor; and his popularity was amply attested when in 1878 he was elected to represent the Fourth ward in the common council and re-elected in i88o, the first Democrat sent to the council from the ward in twenty years. He also served one term as mayor of the city. On April 22, 1854, Dr. Todd was united in marriage to Miss Julia S. Welch, born twenty miles south of Auburn, N. Y., who came to Canandaigua with her parents. Four children were born to this union. Frederick, of Detroit; Helen J., at home; Emma, the wife of Charles Wesley; and William W., of Jackson, Mich. Capt. Charles Rollin Miller.-In the passing of Captain Miller, on Oct. 13, 19o8, the city of Adrian and Lenawee county lost one of its most distinguished and respected citizens, whose kindly deeds and many excellent qualities will be remembered for many generations. Captain Miller was born at Moravia, Cayuga county, New York, June 7, 1835, the son of Amos and Catharine (Bartlett) Miller, both of %vhom were also natives of the Empire State. The father was born in Cayuga county of parents who came to Central New York from Connecticut and were of German descent. The moth er,'Catharine Bartlett, was a daughter of Moses Bartlett, a native of Vermont, and she was born in Moravia. Her paternal grandfather, Colonel Bartlett, was of English descent, and was an officer tinder Ethan Allen during the Revolutionary war. In the spring of 1837 Amos Miller started from Moravia, N. Y., with his family, for Michigan, the means of conveyance being a team and a lumber wagon. Their journey lay through Canada, and in this manner they traveled the entire distance to Washtenaw county, where they settled on a farm in the town of Bridgewater. There the family lived for some time in the rudest kind of a log cabin for about three years, when they removed to Saline. The subject of this review was but two years of age when his parents made this tedious trip to their western home, and as a boy he attended school at the union district schools of Saline and Lodi_, in Washtenaw county. During a large portion of the time he worked on the farm during the summer months. attending school in the winter, but at the early age of fifteen years- he began teaching school and served in that capacity for four terms. Being determined to acquire a higher education he gave assiduous attention to his books and finally entered the Michigan State Normal School at Ypsilanti, in which institution he graduated with the class of 1855. He then matriculated in the state university at Ann Arbor, where he graduated in the literary department in 1858 and received his degree in the law department in the class of 1860. Soon after graduation he went to St. Joseph, Mo., where he practiced law for a time in partnership with George M. Landon, who is now a resident of Monroe, Mich. In 1861 Mr. Miller held a position as clerk in the postoffice at St. Joseph, where he assisted in making up the first mail that went by stage via the overland route to the Pacific coast. While in Missouri he had several exciting and dangerous experiences with the secessionists. His sentiments being strongly in favor of the Union cause, he retnrned to Michigan in 1862 and enlisted as a member of the Eighteenth Michigan infantry. This regiment was organized at Hillsdale and was mustered in on Aug. 26, 1862.. It left the state on Sept. 4, reported at Cincinnati, and was stationed at Lexington, Ky., from Nov. 1, 1862, until Feb. 21, 1863. It then moved to Danville, and was with the forces that retreated from that place on the 24th, skirmishing with those of Pegram as they left. On the 28th it joined in pursuit of Pegram, making a long, rough march to Buck creek. It returned to Stanford, then moved to Lebanon and thence to Nashville, where it was employed as provost guard from Nov. 1, 1863, to June 11, 1864. Ordered south, it reached Decatur, Ala., in June, and was placed on garrison and scouting duty. It was a part of the force that surprised Patterson's brigade of cavalry at Pond Springs, capturing its camp equipage, wagons and commissary stores, and in July it assisted in routing' the same brigade at Courtland, being the only infantry engaged at either time. It left Decatur in September to reinforce the garrison at Athens, reaching there just in. time to repel Roddey's command. It joined in pursuit of Wheeler, overtaking and skirmishing with his rearguard at Shoal creek, and then returned to Decatur. The regiment participated in the successful defense of Decatur against Hood's army, remaining at that place until Nov. 25, when it moved to Stevenson and was engaged in building fortifications until Dec. 19. It was then- ordered back to Decatur, where it was on garrison duty until Jan. 11, 1865, when it proceeded to Huntsville for post duty, remaining until the surrender. The military service of the subject of this review was separate and apart from that of his regiment to a considerable extent. Soon after arriving at the front he was assigned to the staff of Gen. John F. Miller. During the summer of 1863 he served on the staff of Gen. Robert S. Granger, at Nashville, Tenn., then on the staff of Gen. Lovell H. Rousseau, commanding a division in the Army of the Cumberland, and finally as assistant judge advocate on the staff of Gen. George H. Thomas, commanding the Department of the Cumberland. In every capacity he served his country faithfully and well, and was mustered out in August, 1865, with the rank of captain. He then returned to Adrian and was immediately taken in as a partner in the-practice of law by Norman Geddes, with whom he continued under the firm name of Geddes & Miller, for more than twenty years, or until judge Geddes was elected to the bench: Mr. Miller then continued in the practice alone until 1894, when he retired permanently from the law, his other extensive interests re-quiring his entire time and attention. At an early date in his business career he invested largely in timber lands in the northern part of the state, and he owned and platted the village of Millersburg, in Presque Isle- county, forty miles northwest of Alpena, on the Detroit & Mackinac railway. The place is now an incorporated village of more than 700 people and is growing rapidly. Mr. Miller was also the owner of extensive landed interests in Presque Isle, Cheboygan and Chippewa counties, and on Mackinac island. He was also interested in farming land in Lenawee county, where he owned and operated 1,200 acres, having been the largest owner of improved land in the county. In addition to his extensive farming and landed interests he was president of the State Savings Bank, and the Anthony Fence Company, of Tecumseh; was one of the organizers and served for a time as president of the Commercial Savings Bank; was president of the Spring Brook Brewing Coinpany of Adrian, and was president of the Hillsdale Truck and Wagon Company, of Hillsdale, Mich. Always actively interested in the public welfare, he served as a member of the state hoard of managers of the State Industrial Home for Girls by appointment first of Gov. Charles M. Croswell and by reappointment of Gov. David H. Jerome. At the time of his death he was president of the Mackinac Island State Park Commission, and had served that same body as secretary and treasurer. At one time he was the unanimous choice of the Republican county delegation for the nomination as candidate for Congress. For many years he was a trustee of the Adrian Presbyterian church, and also served as secretary of the Adrian public school board for eleven years. During the time of his more active professional career he served two terms (1869-1873) as prosecuting attorney of Lenawee county. Mr. Miller was twice married. In October, 1865, he was married to Miss Mary L. Becker, of Ann Arbor, Mich., daughter of Hiram and Sophia Becker, and to this union there were born two daughters, Mary S., who is an undergraduate of Wellesley,College, and Jessie, a graduate of the University of Michigan. The mother of these daughters died at Adrian in 1889, and in April, 1890, Mr. Miller married Mrs. Anna M. Wendell, widow of Hon. J. A. T. Wendell, of Mackinac island. The second wife, who survives, is a Virginian, descended from the early colonial settlers, her ancestors having cpme to York, Va., iri 1620. She is the only daughter of the late Philip William Hale, of Loudon county, Virginia, a major in the Confederate army, and Mary Margaret Beale, of York county, Virginia. By her first marriage Mrs. Miller is the mother of two daughters, Mrs. W. L. Barnes, of Ionia, and Miss Romaine Wendell, of Detroit. Mrs. Miller is a member of the Daughters of the Revolution, the Colonial Dames Society and the Society of Colonial Governors' Daughters. Mr. Miller's death was due to basilar paralysis, after an illness of two weeks. During the evening of his well-spent and useful life he confined his attention to his private affairs and spent his spare moments in the pleasant home circle, holding communion with the world's greatest thinkers through the medium of books in his carefully selected and extensive private library. Fernando D. Thieme, a furniture manufacturer and a prominent citizen of Adrian, born in New York city on July 12, i86o. His father, Christian Thieme, was born in Jena, Saxe-hVeimar, Germany, Oct. 16, 1824, and in that city learned the trade of cabinet-maker. He was married in Jena to Miss Caroline Juliana Von Wohlfeldt, and to this union six children were born, three of whom survive. The eldest, Mrs. Laura Breunig, now deceased, was born in Germany, and the others were born in New York city. Paul and Adolph died in infancy; William is a piano tuner, living at 93 East Front street, Adrian; and Mrs. Carrie Robbins also lives in Adrian. On June -15, 1848, Christian Thieme, the father, took command of a regiment of Revolutionists, having previously had three years' experience in the German army. He fought for a German republic until Sept. 15 of that year, when he was made a member of the strategy board under the late Gen. Carl Schurz. In October he was captured in disguise and imprisoned in the Castle of Wartburg, the same prison in which Martin Luther had been incarcerated, and after a trial by court-martial was sentenced to be shot. The execution was delayed, however, and in June, 1851, by the aid of political friends, he escaped from prison. For three years he remained in hiding, pursued from place to place, until finally he made his way across the French border, and thence to England, disguised as a butcher. From England he doubled back to Hamburg, then a free city, where he was joined by his wife and baby daughter, and sailed for New York. He remained in New York city working at his trade for thirteen years, and then came to Adrian, arriving there on Oct. 27, 1867. When he came west it was with some seventy other men, all of whom went to work in the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern shops. The first Wagner sleeping and parlor cars, one of each, had been built in New York and sent in pieces to Adrian, and Mr. Thieme's first work was in putting together these cars and making them ready for use. The sleeper was known as the Elkhart and the parlor car as the White Pigeon. The father remained in the Lake Shore shops until 1878, the year the company quit doing its own fine woodwork. For a time thereafter he was engaged in manufacturing pipe organs, but the venture proved unsuccessful and he retired from active participation in business affairs. His death occurred on Sept. 13, 1907. Fernando D. Thieme, the subject of this memoir, received all his educational training in the public schools of Adrian. and when but thirteen years of age became a pattern-maker for the Peninsular Car Company. After two and a half years of faithful service in the employ of that company he accepted a position as carver and designer with the Adrian Furniture Company, with which concern he remained for eleven years. Mr. Thieme superintended the erection of the organ factory in Adrian and also the present factory of the Adrian Furniture Company. In 1900 he purchased the old Turner Hall at the corner of Hunt and Croswell streets, and after remodeling it engaged in. the manufacture of furniture tinder his own name. His trade has flourished from the start, and he has won a wide reputation as a master designer and carver. He holds the title to the property on which his factory is located and also owns considerable other valuable realty within the corporate limits of the city. His office and draughting room is at the old family home, No. 91 Front street. In the matter of politics Mr. Thieme is aligned with the Republican party, but has never been an aspirant for public office of any nature. Fraternally he is identified with the independent Order of Foresters. Mr. Thieme has never married. Elmer L. Thompson, a prominent agriculturist of the township of Deerfield, was born in Madison township, -.\--ov. 16, 1869, the son of Walter and Frances (McNair) Thompson. The mother, a native of Madison township, is now residing with her daughter, Mrs. Grace (Thompson) George, of Toledo, Ohio. The father, a stone-mason by trade, was born in flew York state; came west with his father and settled in Madison township when but four years of age. Ile continued to work at his trade a great deal of the time until his death in February, 19o2. The parents were blessed with the birth of seven children, four girls and three boysWilliam, living in Deerfield to,,vnlship; Edgar. residing in Monroe county; Mlrs. Ilattie (Thompson) Nlyers, living in Toledo, Ohio; Mrs. Grace (Thompson) George, also a resident of Toledo; \Nettie, residing with her mother and sister, Grace. in Toledo; Mrs. Anna (Thompson) Ostrander, also living in Toledo; and Elmer L., the subject of this sketch. The last named received his educational training in the district schools of Adrian township, and of Monroe co'nnty. After the passing of his school days he worked on farms until seventeen years of age.-when he purchased a team of horses with his savings. The next two years found Mr. Thompson working neighboring farms on shares, and he later purchased twenty acres of woodland. After divesting the latter of its timber. the best of which he sold to saw-mill companies, and disposed of the remainder to his neighbors to be consumed as wood, he remained on this farm for four years, and then purchased the farm of fifty-six acres, upon which he is now residing and which is situated only one half mile from the village of Deerfield. He erected on this place a fine comfortable residence and a spacious barn. In January, igo8, 11Ir. Thompson suffered the misfortune of losing his barn by fire. But a man of the mold of Mr. Thompson who had gained his footing at the start of the race of life entirely through his own assiduous enterprise, was not to be discouraged by the loss of a barn, so he at once laid plans for the erection of another, more spacious and modern than his former one, and in fact it may truth-fully he said to be as fine as any in this section of the country. He has made a specialty of cattle dealing. He buys them in the aiitumn, feeds them well during the winter months, and by the following spring he has them in excellent condition for the market. That the subject of this sketch is an "up-to-date" farmer is manifested by the many modern conveniences to be found about his place. Politically he believes in the principles of the Prohibition party. That his neighbors have great faith in his judgment is evidenced by the fact that they have delegated him to act as highway commissioner. He was united in marriage at Petersburg, Monroe county, Mich., April z I, 1896, to Miss Ada L. McQuarie, daughter of John and Ella (Hunter) McQuarie. His wife's father was born in Deerfield township, in the house in which he now resides, May 15, 1848. Her mother was born in the state of New York, July 25, 1848. They now reside in comfort just across the way from the homestead of their son-in-law. Five children have graced the fireside of Mr. and Mrs. McOuarie---Virgil H., born July 2, 197T; Forest Neal, born March 10. 1877; Donald E., horn May 15, 1882; Frances E., born Aug. 24, 1885; and Ada L., the beloved wife of Mr. Thompson, born June 29, 1874. She received her early education in her native township and for three years prior to her marriage she acted in the capacity of school-mistress. Four children have been born to this couple, as follows : Forest Roy, Feb. 22, 1898; Richard C., Nov. 22, 1899; Kenneth Eugene. June 20, 1901 ; and John S., Aug. 16, 1904. Fraternally Mr. Thompson is well affiliated, being a member of the Knights of the Modern Maccabees, and of the Cleaners. The family church is the Presbyterian, with which religious organization they are devoutly associated. David L. Treat, M. D., one of the leading practitioners of medicine in Adrian, was born in the township of'that name on Oct. 26, 1875. He is the son of Butler. and Mary (Vedder) Treat, both natives of the Empire State, their homes ' having been near Utica. The father was a farmer by vocation who entered 24o acres in Adrian township under the homestead law in 1836, and worked it until the time of his demise, which occurred Sept. 30, 1888. The mother now makes her home with the Doctor. The parents' family consisted of four sons and a daughter-Fred, of Hillsdale; Mary, the wife of. Frank Bates, of Lansing; Frank, who now conducts the home farm; Elmer, of Detroit; and the Doctor. Dr. Treat graduated at the Adrian Iligh School in the class of 1892, and for some time was engaged as a registered druggist in Adrian, having successfully taken the examination submitted by the State Board of Pharmacy. In z8g8 he graduated at the Ohio Medical University of Columbus, Ohio, and subsequently in order to familiarize himself as far as possible with the most advanced methods and theories of the profession he took post graduate work in the New York Post Graduate Medical School. Ever since graduation he has been successfully engaged in his practice in Adrian. Professionally he is allied with the State and the Lenawee County Medical societies and the American Medical Association; and fraternally is prominent in the Masonic order, being a member of the Adrian Blue Lodge, the Adrian Consistory and the Moslem Temple. Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, of Detroit. He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of the Maccabees. Dr. Treat has been prominent for many .years in the councils of the Democratic party, and is now one of the representatives of his district on the Democratic State Central Committee. He served two years as a member of the common council of Adrian and is the present mayor of the city. On Oct. 21, 19o3, he was united in marriage to Miss Georgia Rice, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Sim Rice, of Adrian, who graduated at the Adrian High School in 1894. Mrs. Rice died in igoo, and Mr., Rice is now a respected resident of Adrian. Chester C. Van Doren, deceased, who during his lifetime was one-.of the foremost merchants and a leader in the social and religious life of Adrian, was born in Adrian township, Lenawee county, on Oct. 12, 1842, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob E. Van Doren. The parents came to Michigan in June, 183,5, and purchased eighty acres of land in section 22, Adrian township. Chester C. Van Doren attended what was then known as the Graham Township School, located near the Levi Chase place in Raisin township, and later graduated from the Raisin Valley Seminary. Until he was twentythree years of age he lived with his parents, and then went to farming in section 16, Adrian township. There he remained until after the death of his father, when he removed to the Bent Oak farm, situated on a main thoroughfare one and a half miles from the city, and recognized as one of the most fertile pieces of land in the county. For many years he was engaged in agricultural pursuits, and in 1868 took tip auctioneering, devoting his spare time to that occupation, at which he gained a wide reputation and which brought many demands for his services in that line. In 1882, in partnership with the late Levi Roath, he engaged in the sale of farm implements, the first place of business being on Nest Manmee street. Subsequently the growth of the business necessitated removal to larger quarters and the firm removed to 21 South Winter street. In 1881 the death of Mr. Roath dissolved the partnership and from that time on until his death Mr. Van Doren conducted the business under his own name. He did not remove to the city until 1893, and when he did it was that he might give his children the better educational advantages afforded by the city schools. In the latter part of 1907, Mr. Van Doren's health began to show the effects of a busy life, and, although he was not confined to his home, his friends began to notice that his usual vigor was lacking. During the morning Feb. 1o, 1908, he made a business trip to Blissfield, and returned at noon. After he had partaken of the noonday meal he left the house. to clean the ice from his walk and had just reached the side porch when he was stricken with apoplexy. Friendly hands conveyed him into the house, and a physician was in attendance within a few minutes, but his weakened system could not withstand the shock and he breathed his last at 7:3o that evening. His passing cast a deep gloom over the entire county, for he was .known as one of its most upright and enterprising business men and a lovable character whose friends were unlimited. He contributed liberally to the spiritual and material welfare of the Baptist church, of which he was a member, and he strove in his daily life to make of himself a worthy disciple of his Master. Fraternally he was prominently identified with the Knights of the Maccabees and the Masonic order. On Christmas day, 1866, was solemnized Mr. Van Doren's marriage to Miss Sarah Catherine 1WThitacre, daughter of Aaron and Ann Whitacre, of Dover township. Mrs. Whitacre died in 1891 and her husband in 1889. To Mr. and Mrs. Van Doren were born five children. The only daughter, who married Ernest C. Smith, of Adrian township, makes her home on Chestnut street in Adrian; Jacob C., who, on Nov. 1o, 1891, was united in marriage to Miss Emma L. Johnson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Johnson, of La Salle township, Monroe county, Michigan, purchased in September, 19o8, of the administrator of the estate the agricultural implement business formerly conducted by his father; Chester John, superintendent of the cement plant at Chanute, Kan., who on Oct. IS, 1893, married Miss Alice WWTilbur, by whom he had three children-Catherine, deceased, WWTilbur and Ilene; H. Harry, a resident of Adrian, whose wife was formerly Miss Maud Abbott, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eli Abbott, of Franklin township; and Hugh died in infancy. Mrs. Van Doren still lives in the home 0 17 Toledo street, and also owns forty acres of land in Adrian township, and a farm of 18o acres in Franklin township.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com