History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 78



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Thomas Russell is numbered among the substantial farmers and stock-growers of Lenawee county, where he is the owner of a well improved farm, located in Tecumseh and Raisin townships, and where he has' achieved his present position of independence through his own efforts, which have ever been directed with energy and discrimination. The fair old Emerald Isle, renowned in song and story, figures as the place of Mr. Russell's nativity since he was born in County Antrim, Ireland, March 13, 1956. In the same section also were born his honored parents, Thomas and Sarah (Scott) Russell, in 1813. and I811g, respectively, and both families are of staunch Scotch-Irish origin. In his native land the father followed farming as his principal vocation, but finally, like many another of his countrymen, he decided to establish his home in that far-distant land to whose progress, stability and civic enlightenment those of his nationality have contributed in so liberal and loyal a measure. He accordingly emigrated to America, about the year 1862, and came to Lenawee county and settled in Tecumseh township, where he continued to be identified with agricultural pursuits during the remainder of his long and honorable life, whose termination marked as its date May 31, 11888. His devoted wife, who had been a true helpmeet and devoted companion, survived him by nearly a score of years, as her death occurred Dec. II, 11907. They became the parents of four sons and four daughters, all of whom are living, except one of the sons. The parents were members of the Presbyterian church and they exemplified their faith in their lives of faithfulness and kindliness. Thomas Russell, the immediate subject of this sketch, was afforded in his boyhood and early youth the advantages of excellent schools in his native land and after the family came to Lenawee county he continued his studies for a time in the public schools of Raisin township. In initiating his independent career he began working by the month, principally in connection with farming, and he continued to be thus engaged for a number of years, in the meanwhile carefully conserving his resources, as he was determined to gain for himself a position of independence in connection with the normal and legitimate activities of life. Thus, in 118911, he was enabled to measurably realize his ambitions, for in that year he purchased his present homestead farm of I I I acres, of which eighty acres are in Tecumseh township and thirty-one in Raisin township. He has since bent his energies resolutely and with discrimination to the,cultivation and improvement of his farm, which is now one of the valuable properties of the county and which is equipped with good buildings and with the modern accessories which facilitate the work of the agriculturist and add to his returns from the efforts put forth. His farm is devoted to diversified agriculture and to the raising of excellent grades of live stock. He has brought to bear unflagging energy and mature judgment, and in all departments of his farm enterprise he exemplifies that thrift which marks the man of resources and correct business principles. The Democratic party enlists the support of Mr. Russell, though he has never aspired to even local offices of a public nature, and his religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church, of which both he and his wife are members. In a fraternal way he is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 19o, Knights of Pythias, and the Tecumseh Camp of the Modern Woodmen of America, and these affiliations indicate the high esteem in which he' is held in the county which has represented the scene of his endeavors from his youth to the present. Sept. 3, 1879, marked an important event in the career of Mr. Russell, since on that date was solemnized his marriage to Miss Zeldia McCarberry, who was born in Macon township, Sept. 24, 186o, and who is a daughter of Smith and Diana (VanDeventer) McCarberry, the former of whom was born in County Antrim, Ireland, March 4, 1829, and the latter of whom was born July 11, 1828. They located in Macon township, about 1858, and the father became one of the substantial farmers of this locality. His wife passed away July ii, 1873, and his death occurred Dec. 14, 1899. Of their seven children, three are living. To Mr. and Mrs. Russell also have been born seven children, two of whom died in infancy. Of the surviving children, the names and respective dates of birth are here indicated Millard S., Aug. 9, 188o; Ina B., May 17, 1885; Floyd, June 24, . r8c)o; Florence, Jan. 24, 1892; and Ethel,.May 21, 1894.



John Rentz, manager of the Blissfield Telephone Company and president of the village of Blissfield, was born at Greenville, Dark county, Ohio, on July 9, 1840, the son of Anthony and Elizabeth (Baumgardner) Rentz. 'Both parents were born in Baden, Germany, and came to the United States shortly after their marriage in the early thirties. They settled near Chickasaw, Mercer count,, Ohio, where the father was actively engaged in farming until his death. The mother also died there Two sons and one daughter were born to the parents. One son now lives at Chickasaw. After John Rentz had finished his scholastic training he learned the shoemaker's trade, but has not been actively engaged in it for a number of years. He came to Blissfield while still a young man and for eight years was the incumbent of a clerical position with the Phillips Hardware Company. At the outbreak of the Civil war, Mr. Rentz enlisted, on May 1, i861, in Company B, Fourth Michigan infantry,. and with, his regiment was sent to Washington, participated in the First Battle of. Bull Run and in all of the battles in which the army of the Potomac took part, a total of fifty-three. After the surrender of ,General Lee, he accompanied his regiment to Texas in anticipation of trouble with Maximilian, and was finally mustered out on Feb. 14, 1866, after having served four years, nine months and fourteen days. In 1897 he organized the Blissfield Telephone Company, and is today serving as its manager beside being one of the stockholders. He is greatly interested in public affairs and has contributed much toward the material advancement of the village.. For nine years he was a member of its school board. Politically he is aligned with the Democratic party, and during the last administration of Hon. Grover Cleveland as president, he was appointed postmaster of the village, a position he held for four and a half years. For six years he was a member of the village board and is now serving his second successive term as president of the village. Fraternally and socially he is identified with the Adrian lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Blissfield lodge of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Daughters of Rebekah, and Scott Post No. 43, Grand Army of the Republic. On March 5, 1867, was solemnized Mr. Rentz's marriage to Miss Orilla Bennett, a native of Canada, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Bennett, the latter of whom is now living in Blissfield. To Mr. and Mrs. Rentz was born one daughter, Lela E. She was born in 1Morenci, educated at the Monroe Academy and became the wife of Charles E. Lenardson, of the firm of Lenardson Brothers & Company, of Blissfield. Henry Hayward, who is one of the popular citizens and representative farmers of his native county, is a worthy scion of one of the honored pioneer families of this favored section of the Wolverine Commonwealth. He was born on section io, in -Seneca township, March 24, 1840, and is a son of Stephen and Jane -(Sanger) Hayward, both of whom were founded of the state of New York, and members of families founded in America in the Colonial era of our national history. Stephen Hayward, who was a native of Ontario county, New York, remained a resident of the old Empire State until 1834, when he came to the territory of Michigan and numbered himself among-the earliest of the pioneers of Lenawee county. In Seneca township his father, Henry Hayward, had secured a tract of government land, heavily timbered, and here Stephen set himself vigorously to the task of reclaiming a farm from the primeval forest. Those of the younger generation today can scarcely realize how strenuous was the toil entailed and how many the vicissitudes to be endured in thus taking the initial steps in the development of the great and opulent agricultural section which denotes the county in the opening years of this glorious twentieth century. Stephen Hayward lived up to the full tension of the labors and responsibilities of the pioneer, and in due time he reclaimed the major portion of his farm to cultivation, causing the stately monarchs of the forest to give place to productive fields, and he remained on his old homestead until his death, which occurred in I8f1. His wife, who was a devoted companion and helpmeet during all the years of struggle and toil, survived him by'several years. Of their nine children, the subject of this sketch was the second in order of birth, and of the number five are now living. Henry Hayward was reared tinder the environment and influences of the pioneer epoch, and early began to lend his aid in the arduous work of the home farm. His educational advantages as a boy and youth were those afforded in the little school house maintained in District No. 2, Seneca township, and he spent several years upon his father's farm, assisting in the work until the age of twenty-one. In 186x, he took charge of eighty acres, now part of the farm controlled by his son, Stephen Ilayward. After the father's death, in December, 1861, he and his brother William purchased the share of Clinton, the third brother, in the 16o acres of their father's estate, on section 23, in Seneca township. Gradually Mr. Hayward, by purchase, added to his original eighty acres until he had acquired 123 acres. For over forty years he gave his attention to the improvement and management of this farm, practically all of which is now eligible for cultivation and devoted to diversified agriculture and stock-growing. A specialty was made,of the dairy department of the farm enterprise, and thrift and prosperity were in evidence on every hand, showing the energy and progressive methods brought to bear by the owner. The buildings were modern and substantial and the attractive residence was a center of generous hospitality. In 1901, Mr. Hayward rented his farm to his son Stephen, and moved to Seneca village to be with the aged Mrs. Whaley, the mother of Mrs. Hayward. The mother passed away, March 4, 19og, aged ninety-one years. Mr. and Mrs. Hayward then returned to the home, which now stands on the south forty of the west eighty of his farm, and there they live retired, surrounded by their children. In 1902, while living at Seneca village, Mr. Hayward purchased forty acres, making his total landed possessions 16o acres. In political affairs Mr. Hayward maintains an independent attitude, and he thus lends his influence and exercises his franchise in support of the men and measures meeting the approval of his judgment. May 24, 1859, bore record of the marriage of Mr. Hayward to Miss Helen WWWhaley, who was born in Gorham township, Fulton county, Ohio, March 15, 1841, and who is a daughter of Cyrenus and Sally (Gorham) Whaley, both of whom were born and reared in the state of New York. Iii 1839, Cyrenus Whaley came to Michigan and took Lip his residence in Jackson county, whence he later removed to Gorliam township, Fulton county, Ohio, named in honor of his wife's family. There he remained until 18x.2, when he came to Lenawee county and effected the purchase of eighty acres of state school land in Seneca township. To this he later added a contiguous tract of forty acres, and practically the entire farm was reclaimed by him from the forest. For about six years prior to his demise he lived essentially retired, and he died Nov. 23, 1894, one of the honored pioneers and influential citizens of Seneca township. He was allied with the Democratic party and was an active worker in its cause. For several years he served in each of the offices of township clerk and highway commissioner. He was of patrician Norman-English lineage, and records extant trace the family genealogy back to William the Conqueror. The Whaley family was founded in America in the Colonial era, as was also the Gorham family, of which Mrs. Whaley was a representative. Mrs. Whaley was one of the revered pioneer women of the county, which had been her place of abode for more than half a century. To Mr. and Mrs. Hayward were born seven children, concerning whom brief record is here entered in conclusion'of this sketch; Felch died in 1902, in the prime of life; Arletta is the wife of D. M. Hough, of Columbus, Ohio; Ralph B. resides on his farm in Seneca township, this county; Robert is a representative farmer of Seneca township; as is also Stephen; Phila Jane is the wife of Ole O. Metcalf, a resident of Fairfield township; and Reuben is engaged in business at Akron, Ohio.



Charles Burlesoni with modern scientific appliances and facilities and with the advanced accommodations afforded by the rural free mail delivery, the telephone, etc., the lot of the average farmer is one to be envied, for none has a position of greater independence and security. One of the representative farmers of Lenawee county who is enjoying to the full all these latter-day provisions but whose memory harks back to the primitive conditions that obtained in the pioneer epoch of the history of this section of the state, is Mr. Burleson, who owns and resides upon the fine old homestead farm which was the place of his nativity and which is eligibly located in Macon township, al)out six miles distant from the thriving village of Tecumseh, from which he receives his rural mail service. He is a son of job and Amy (Arnold) Burleson, both of whom were natives of the state of New York, where the former was born Sept. 18, I8o8, and the latter on Jan. 28, 1813. Their marriage was solemnized on New Year's Day, 1832, and about two -or three years later they immigrated to the wilds of Michigan, which was still considered in the East to be virtually on the frontier of civilization. They made Lenawee county their destination, and in Macon township the father secured from the government a tract of loo acres of heavily timbered land, to which he later added a contiguous tract of ninety-five acres. Here he developed a productive farm, upon which he continued to reside during the residue of his signally active, honorable and useful life. He died on May 13, 1881, and had thus survived his cherished wife by more than a score of years, since she was summoned to the life eternal March 28, 1859. Both held membership in the Baptist church and he espoused the. cause of the Republican party at the time of its organization "under the oaks," at Jackson. To its cause he thereafter continued to give his support, both by the exercise of his franchise and his personal influence. Of the six children only two are now living: Stephen, who was born Oct. 25, 1847, and who is a representative farmer near Banker, Mich.; and Charles, who is the immediate subject of this review, was born in a log cabin, which stood where his present residence now stands, Sept. 8, 1845, and was reared to manhood on the farm which he now owns, his educational advantages in his youth being those afforded in the common schools of Macon township. He has been continuously identified with the work and management of the home farm, and of the same he has been owner since the death of his father, May 13, 1881, besides which he is the owner of a farm of eighty acres in Saline township, Washtenaw county. His homestead retains the same area----195 acres-as it did when his honored father owned the property. The permanent improvements are of excellent order, including a commodious residence, and the farm is devoted to diversified agriculture and to the raising of good grades of live stock, in both of which departments the-effective management of Mr. Burleson brings goodly returns, as one season follows another. Though he has never consented to become a candidate for public office, Mr. Burleson takes a lively interest in all that touches the material and civic welfare of his home township and county, and his political allegiance is given to the Republican party. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, as was also his wife, and to him is accorded the unqualified esteem of all who know him. In 1872 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Burleson to Miss Susan Larzelere, who was born in Franklin township, this county, in 1851, and who is a daughter of Hiram and Mary (Pitcher) Larzelere, who were honored pioneers of the township mentioned and who there continued to reside until their deaths. Mrs. Burleson was summoned to the life eternal March 21, 1898, and is survived by three children, concerning whom brief record is given in conclusion of this sketch. All of the children were afforded the advantages of the public schools of their native county and all are well upholding the prestige of the family name. George is a representative farmer of Saline township, Washtenaw county; Lilburn, who has active management of his father's farm, was married Dec. 13, 1903, to Miss Mabel I. Miller, daughter of George WW. and Sarah (Hendershot) Miller. of whom specific mention is made on other pages of this work, and they have two childrenJennie L., who was born July 18, 1905, and Lilburn G. C., Jr., who was born March 9, 1907; Benjamin, the youngest son, is successFully identified with agricultural pursuits in Saline township, Washtenaw county. Benjamin F. Reynolds is an honored citizen and native son, of Lenawee county whose memory links in an indissoluble chain the early pioneer epoch with the latter days of opulent prosperity and advancement in this favored section of the great state in which he was born prior to its admission to the union-a fact that bears its own significance as, showing the early date at which his father became a resident of the county. The subject of this sketch was long numbered among the representative farmers and stockgrowers of this section of the state, gaining a wide reputation as a buyer and shipper of sheep, and for somewhat more than a quarter of a century he has maintained his home in the village of Tecumseh, where he is now living virtually retired and where he is enjoying the rewards of former years of earnest endeavor. Mr. Reynolds was born on the old parental homestead farm, in Franklin township, this county, and the date of his nativity was Nov. 14, 1836. This statement indicates clearly that he is now one of the oldest native sons living in the county, and Michigan was not admitted to statehood until the year after his birth. ITe is a son of Hiram and Mary (Valentine) Reynolds, the former of whom was born in Chenango county, New York, and the latter in Saratoga county, that state, where the respective families were founded in the pioneer clays, both having found representation in America in the Colonial era of our country's history. Hiram Reynolds emigrated from the old Empire State to the wilds of Michigan Territory in 1829. He forthwith made settlement in what is now Franklin township, Lenawee county, where he was one of the first to take up permanent residence. He secured a tract of government land and girded himself to the herculean task of literally hewing out a farm in the forest. In his primitive log cabin home was held the first town meeting in this township, and he long held precedence as one of the most honored and influential citizens of this part of the county. He eventually became the owner of the entire east half of section 9, and here he developed a valuable farm before his death, which occurred about 1870; his wife had passed away several years prior to his death, and of their seven children but one son and three daughters are living. In politics Hiram Reynolds was originally an old-line Whig, but upon the organization of the Republican party he transferred his allegiance thereto, and he ever afterward supported its cause. Benjamin F. Reynolds, whose name initiates this article, was reared to the' sturdy discipline of the pioneer farm, to whose work he early began to contribute his quota, and his early. educational discipline was that afforded in the primitive subscription schools of Franklin township. Tt is a "far cry" from conditions then obtaining and those which mark this advanced and attractive section of the state at the present time. Mr. Reynolds remembers the old clays with due appreciation, as does he also the various stages of progress which he has witnessed and with which he has been closely identified. His vocation throughout his active career was that of farming and the raising of and dealing in, live stock. In 1870 he purchased the old homestead farm, and he retained the ownership of the property until 1903, when he sold the same-one of the valuable farms of the county. On Nov. 14, i88o, he removed from his farm to the village of Tecumseh, where he has since maintained his residence and where he has an attractive home. For several years past he has lived retired from active business, though he continues to give a careful supervision to his various capitalistic interests. For many years Mr. Reynolds was one of the leadin6 and most popular auctioneers of this section -of the state, and his services as such were in requisition throughout a wide territory. He was long engaged in the raising of and dealing in sheep, of which line of enterprise he made a specialty,.and he carried on operations on an extensive scale. He has driven sheep from Michigan to Iowa and shipped large numbers to Texas. He raised and handled thoroughbred Merino sheep, and on one occasion paid $500 for a full-blood ram of this variety, and $i,ioo for eleven ewes. As a business man he was alert and progressive, and his energy and good judgment brought to him success in the various enterprises to which he directed his energies. In politics he has ever been aligned as a loyal supporter of the cause of the Republican party, and for four years he served as supervisor of Franklin township. In 1859 Mr. Reynolds was united in marriage to Miss Clarissa Palnier, who was born in Manchester, Washtenaw county, Michigan, a daughter of William and Esther (Bronson) Palmer, early settlers of that county, where they continued to reside until their deaths. Mr. and Mrs. Reynolds became the parents of four children, namely: Minnie, who is the wife of Adelbert Cairns, of Tecumseh; Myra, who is the wife of John B. Whelan, collector of customs for the port of Detroit; Lora, who is the wife of Levi B. Stevens, of -Detroit; and Nellie, who married George Stanley and was happily residing on the old Reynolds homestead in Franklin township at the time of her sad death. She was the mother of five children-four sons and a daughter. The daughter was a baby about one year old and barely able to toddle about. One afternoon in the fall of the year, while its mother was bus), with her house work, the baby wandered to an open cistern near the kitchen door, and, as the cover had been removed, it fell in. It is supposed that its mother heard the baby's fall and ran to its assistance; then, thinking of nothing but the life of her dear one, she plunged into the cistern to save it, and no one being near, both perished. An older child, Fay, on returning from school made the horrible discovery and at once ran to where his father was at work on the farm, about a half mile away. The son told his father that the mother and the baby were in the cistern, and the father hurried to their rescue; but he was too late, as they were both dead when he' reached them. About one hour before the horrifying discovery, Mr. Reynolds, the father of the unfortunate woman, had bidden her good-bye, and therefore the terrible accident that caused the death of a loving mother and her baby daughter could not have occurred many minutes before the return of the son from school. Harley Davidson. Time is now rapidly thinning the ranks of the stalwart pioneers who can recall the days when this favored section of Michigan was scarcely more than a forest wilderness, and it is well that the reminiscences of those who laid the foundations for the wealth and prosperity of the great commonwealth be perpetuated through such publications as the one for which this article is prepared. Within the limits of Lenawee county can be found few native sons who can claim priority of age over Minor Davidson, who was born here several years before the admission of Michigan to the Union, and who is, a representative in' the maternal line of the third generation of his family in the county. It has been his privilege to witness the various stages which have marked the development of this section to its present status of opulence and advanced civilization, and he has not failed to contribute his share to this progress. He is now following the vocation to which he was reared and is known as one of the representative farmers and stock-growers of the county and as a citizen leal and loyal in all relations. He maintains a general supervision over his agricultural interests and resides on his farm near the city of Tecumseh, where he has an attractive home, and is living measurably retired. after years of ceaseless toil and endeavor. Mr. Davidson was horn in Macon township, this county, May 8, 1833, and is a son of Sinmeon and Serena (Miller) Davidson. both natives of the state of New York; where the former was born in 1804, and the latter in 1807. Sinieon Davidson was a native of Seneca county. New York, and in the old Empire State of the Union he was reared to maturity. His parents were pioneers in the beautiful lake district of New York, and the family was founded in America prior to the war of the Revolution. He came to Michigan in 1831 and settled in Lenawee county, where he took tip government land in what is now Macon' township. His was the second white family to locate in the section- now included in the townships of Macon and Ridgeway, and his son Minor, subject of this sketch, was the first white child born in Macon township. He secured eighty acres of heavily timbered land and forthwith initiated the gigantic task of reclaiming a farm from the wilderness. Even the younger generation today can measurably appreciate the fact that the life of such pioneers was far from being one of sybaritic order, for the days were filled with strenuous toil and the deprivations and vicissitudes were many. Not lacking in courage, determination and self-confidence were these sturdy founders of a great county, and to them is due a debt of perpetual gratitude and honor. The original homestead of Simeon Davidson is now owned by Charles Underwood. Mr. Davidson later became the owner of 16o acres in the same township. This latter property he sold in 18S4, in which year he removed to Tecumseh township, where he eventually became the owner of 46o acres, a very considerable portion of which tract was reclaimed to cultivation by him. He won success with the passing years and was one of the substantial farmers and influential citizens of the county at the time of his death,' which occurred April 5, 1874. His wife preceded him to eternal rest by many years, as her death occurred in 1840. Of their five children two are living. Isaac Miller, maternal grandfather of the subject of this review, was a native of the state of New York, whence he came to Lenawee county in 1832, and he likewise was one of the sturdy and honored pioneers of this section of the state, where he continued to reside until his death, at the venerable age of eighty-eight years. His wife, whose maiden name was Anna Armstrong, was eighty-six years of age at the time of her demise. Minor Davidson. whose name initiatess this article, was reared to maturity on the home farm and as a boy began to assist in its reclamation and cultivation. He imbibed deep draughts from the beneficent chalice offered those who thus live close to nature, and his educational privileges were those afforded in 'the primitive schools of the locality and period. He has never wavered in his allegiance to the great basic industry under whose influences he was reared, and through his efforts in this connection he has acquired a grateful competency. As a farmer and stock-grower he has been essentially progressive and enterprising, has handled his business affairs with discretion: and due conservatism and has never found it necessary to rebel against the life of a farmer. For about a quarter of a century he made a specialty of the breeding of Shorthorn cattle, and in this department of. his farming enterprise he was very successful. He is now the owner of a finely improved farm of 311 acres, in Tecumseh township, and he has practically maintained his residence on his present homestead since 1854. Though never manifesting aught of ambition for public office, Mr. Davidson has been an influential factor in local affairs and has rendered yeoman service in behalf of the cause of the Democratic party. He and his wife in their younger days attended regularly the services of the Methodist Episcopal church, but of late years have not affiliated with any denomination. He holds membership in the Tecumseh Grange and is affiliated with the various York rite bodies of the time-honored Masonic fraternity, as is here noted: Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons; Blanchard Council, No. 34, Royal and Select -Masters; and Adrian Commandery, No. 4, Knights Templars. On March 7, 18J5, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Davidson to Miss Catherine E. Van Vleet, who was born in Ridgeway township, this county, Aug. 9, 1836, which date clearly indicates that she likewise is a representative of one of the early pioneer families of the county. She is a daughter of Peter P. and L ois (Swartout) Van Vleet, both natives of Seneca county, New York, where the former was born in 1799 and the latter in 1802. They made their advent in Lenawee county, May i, 1832, and Mr. Van Vleet secured 320 acres of government land, in Macon township, having made a trip to the county and located this land in 1828. In 1833 he sold this land and removed to Ridgeway township, where he reclaimed a farm of 168 acres. On this homestead he remained until his death, which occurred Jan. 30, 1879, and his devoted wife passed away in the following July, she being a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal church, with which she became identified in .its early organization in the county. Mr. Van Vleet was a Democrat in politics and at the time of the Black I-Iaivk war he served as captain of a company in the state militia. Of the thirteen children in his family, seven are living. -Mr. and Mrs. Davidson became the parents of two children, and the second died in infancy. Eunice is now the wife of Daniel Todd Hall, who was formerly engaged in the drug business but who is now a successful farmer in this county. They have three children--Hazel C., Russell D., and Donald T., Jr.



James Clarkson, who is one of the venerable pioneer citizens of Lenawee county, and who has long held precedence as one of the most substantial farmers and honored residents of Macon town-ship, has resided in this favored section of the state from his childhood days to the present, and his present fine homestead is the land which was secured from the government by his father nearly seventy years ago-.a fact that indicates that the family was numbered among the early settlers of the county. James Clarkson was born in Seneca county, New York, June 18, 1829, and is a son of Daniel and Deborah (Cadmus) Clarkson, both natives of the state of New Jersey, where the former was born Aug. i, t8oo, and the latter March 22, 1803. Both families were founded in America in the Colonial days and both became represented anion,, the pioneers in the beautiful lake district of New York-a section that was later destined to send many worthy citizens to the new state of Michigan. In 1831, about six years prior to the admission of the Territory of Michigan as one of the sovereign states of the union, Daniel Clarkson came with his family to Lenawee county. In Macon township he secured from the government a tract of 400 acres of land, nearly all of which was still covered with the virgin forest. He erected his little log-cabin home and prepared to literally hew out a farm in the midst of the wilds. I-Ie yvas a man of resourcefulness, high order of intelligence and marked energy, so that in his labors• as a pioneer he was duly successful, in that he reclaimed to cultivation a considerable hart of his land and otherwise made improvements in harmony with the conditions and possibilities of the locality and period. Prior to his death he sold IGo acres of. his original purchase of land. He passed to his reward July 4, 1870, secure in the esteem and confidence of all who knew him, and his loved and devoted wife did not long survive him, as her demise occurred Jan. 21, following. Both were devout and zealous members of the Reformed church and were prominently identified with the local organization of this denomination in Macon township. In politics Daniel Clarkson was aligned as a loyal supporter of the principles of the Democratic party, and while he showed a deep interest in all that conserved the welfare and progress of his home county and state, he was never an aspirant for public office. He lived a life of signal honor and usefulness and such was his contribution to the material and civic upbuilding of Lenawee county that his name merits an enduring place on the roll of the noble pioneers of this section. James Clarkson, the immediate subject of this sketch, was a child of about two years at the time of the family emigration from the old Empire State to the wilds `of the Territory of Michigan, and he has virtually passed his entire life on- the old homestead farm on which he was reared, and which is endeared to him through the memories and associations of the days long past as well as those representing the opulent advancement of the Twentieth century. He recalls the little log school house to which he wended his way in the pioneer days, and there he laid the foundation for that broad fund of information which he has since gained through personal application and active association with men and affairs. Of a family of eight children he is one of the two representatives now living, and both remain as scions of the second generation of the family in Lenawee county, since his only surviving sister, Mrs. Henrietta Bailey, now resides in the village of Tecumseh. He is the owner of a very valuable farm of 228 acres, and its attractive appearance, unexcelled facilities and substantial improvements show how closely he has kept in touch with the spirit of consecutive progress. It is indeed a far cry from the pioneer epoch to the present, and it is interesting to hear the reminiscences of the old and honored citizens whose memory links the two. He has not hedged himself in with mere personal interests, but has at all times been alive to the matters and undertakings which have made for the advancment and prosperity of the community. While the ]tire of public office has never had aught of appeal to him, he has been a loyal and intelligent supporter of the cause of the Democratic party. . In politics-lie has thus clung to the faith in which he was reared, and the same is true in connection with religious matters, as he has long been one of the leading and valued members of the Reformed church in Macon township, in whose work Mrs. Clarkson also has been zealous and devoted. It is needless to say that they have a wide circle, of friends in the community, for they are known to both young and old and have the spirit of perennial youth which ever begets the deeper appreciation on the part.of others and the more secure personal happiness and contentment. Oct. 16, 1872, is to be recorded as the date on which was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Clarkson to Miss Emma L. Gooding, who was born in Ontario county, New York, May 8, 11841, and who is a daughter of Chester and Lauricia (Booth) Gooding, both of whom were likewise born in Ontario county, New York, whence they came to Lenawee county in 1865. Here they located on a farm and here they passed the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Gooding passed away in 189o and her husband survived her until 1895. Of their ten children only two are now living-Mrs. Clarkson and Miss Adeliza Gooding, who now resides in the village of Tecumseh. Mr. and Mrs. Clarkson have an adopted daughter, whose maiden name was Anna Bailey and who is now the wife of Arthur Barnes. Mr. Barnes is a graduate of Yale University and his wife of the University of Michigan, and they now reside in Bristol, Conn. They have three children-Clarkson S., Elizabeth E., and Edward B.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com