History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 79



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Edgar C. Van Vleet, who is now living essentially retired, is one of the venerable and highly esteemed pioneers of Lenawee county, with the development and progress of which he has been closely identified. His vocation has been that of farming and stock-raising, and in connection with these important lines of industry he has achieved a success worthy of the name. Mr. Van Vleet comes of staunch Holland Dutch lineage and is a representative of a family early founded in the state of New York. He was born in beautiful old Seneca county, that state, Oct. I5, 1828, and is a son of Peter P and Lois (Swartout) Van Vleet, both of whom were likewise natives of that county, where the former was born in 1799 and the latter in 1802. The parents took tip their residence in Lenawee county, in May, 1832, about five years prior to the admission of the state to the Union. In 1828 Peter P. Van Vleet had made a trip to this county and in Macon township had located a claim of 32o acres of government land. There he maintained his home until 1833, when he secured 168 acres in Ridgeway township, where he reclaimed a good farm and passed the residue of his life. He died Jan. 30, 1879, and his loved and devoted wife did not long survive him, as she passed to the life eternal in the following July. Both were zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church and were prominently identified with its early organization in this section of the state. Mr. Van Vleet gave allegiance to the Democratic party and was influential in public affairs of a local nature. At the time of the Black Hawk war he manifested his interest in the success of the pioneers against the Indians by encouraging his hired help to take part. Of the thirteen children in the family of this sterling pioneer, seven are living. Edgar C. Van Vleet, whose name initiates this brief sketch, was about four years of age at the time of the family removal from the old Empire State to the wilds of Lenawee county, and his memory bears definite impress of the scenes and conditions which marked the early pioneer era in this section, as well as the various stages of progress to which it was his privilege to contribute with the passing of years. He assisted in reclaiming the old homestead farm in Ridgeway township, and his rudimentary education was secured in the pioneer subscription schools of that locality. He made good use of his advantages and was enabled to continue his studies for six months under thetutorship of Prof. Esterbrook, who at th~Lt time conducted a school in Tecumseh, and who was one of the most prominent educators of his day in Michigan. Through personal application and active association with men and affairs Mr. Van Vleet rounded out a symmetrical education and is a man of broad mental ;rasp and mature judgment. He has never found it expedient to withdraw his co-operation in the great basic industry to which he was reared, and he has for many years been recognized., as one of the progressive and successful farmers and stock-growers of the county which has represented his home from his childhood days. He has also been an extensive buyer and shipper of live stock and in this line his operations have covered a wide territory. He still retains his fine homestead farm of 16o acres, partly in Rid-, ewav and partly in Tecumseh township, and the same is one of the valuable places of this favored and opulent section of Michigan. As an advocate of the principles and policies of the Democratic party Mr. Van Vleet has been an active factor in public affairs of local order. He served one term as treasurer of Ridgeway township and for one year was superintendent of schools in that township. In both of these offices he made a_ record for fidelity to the trust reposed and ability in administration. He and his wife are con-sistent and zealous members of the Methodist Episcopal church and he has been affiliated with the Masonic fraternity since 1857. In this time-honored order his membership is represented as here noted: Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons ; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons; and the local chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star, of which his wife also is a member. 'On April 23, 1856, Mr. Van Vleet was united in marriage to Miss Mary A. «raring, who was born May 5, 1835. in Ridgeway township, and who was a daughter of Joshua and Ruth A. Waring, well known pioneers pf the county, where they took tip their residence in 1834 and where they passed the remainder of their lives. Mrs. Van Vleet was summoned to the life eternal Oct. 10, 1870. She was survived by no children. On Sept. 15, 1872, Mr. Van Vleet contracted a second marriage, since on that date was solemnized his union to Mrs. Mary R. (Allen) Hathaway. who was horn-in Ridgeway township- Oct. 15. 1842, a daughter of John and Nancy (Zibblc) Allen, the former of whom was born in the state of New York in 1812, and the latter was likewise a native of the Empire State, whence they- came to Lenawee county about 1836. They settled in Ridgeway township and there continued to reside during the remainder of their long and useful lives. Mr. Allen died in 1892 and his wife, passed away in 1894. . Of their twelve children, ten are living. Mr. and Mrs. Van Vleet became the parents of four children, all of whom aree living, namely: Arthur, Edna, Roy, and Gertrude. Arthur married Miss Anna Thompson, of Blissfield, Mich., and they have two childrenEdgar Clair and George Wayne. Joseph Russell.-An aphorism of the sage old philosopher, Epicurus, was this: "Earn thy reward; the Gods give naught to sloth." The truth of the statement finds verification in all ages and climes, and the lessons of success are to be gained from observing the accomplishment of those within the ken of every man. Joseph Russell is one who has earned his reward through welldirected industry and who has made each progressive stage of his career count for something definite and worthy, so that he is well entitled to the esteem and confidence so uniformly vouchsafed to him as well as to the material prosperity which represents the tangible results of his endeavors as one of the world's workers. He is today one of the extensive farmers and representative citizens of Lenawee county, and here has he won -this prestige through personal ability and energy, for he started as a sturdy farm hand working by, the month. Mr. Russell was born in County Antrim, in the north of Ireland, in 11844, and is a son of Thomas and Sarah (Scott) Russell, both likewise natives of the Emerald Isle and of Scotch-Irish lineage. Thomas Russell finally immigrated with his family to America, and in the '6os took tip his residence in Lenawee county, where both he and his wife passed the remainder of their lives, and where his vocation was that of farming, in which he was measurably successful tinder the conditions which compassed him. He died May 31, 1888, and his wife was summoned to the life eternal Dec. 11. 1907, at the venerable age of eighty-eight years. They became the parents of four sons and four daughters, and of these all are living except one of the sons. Joseph Russell, whose name introduces this sketch, was reared and educated in his native land, and -vas eighteen years of age at the time of the family immigration to America, in 1862. He passed four months in Canada and then came to Lenawee county, where he began working-by the month. He had a good equipment of both brain and brawn, and thus did not dissipate his energies, but rather formulated and held tenaciously to a definite purpose-that of gaining eventually a position of independence. He was thus employed for a period of eight years, at the expiration of which-he was enabled to make his first purchase of land-a little tract of ten acres, in Tecumseh township. This he put to good use and. within a comparatively short time he bought an additional forty acres, so that he was able to amplify his operations and gain more satisfactory financial returns. In 1883 he purchased his present homestead of zoo acres, in the same township, and this he has made one of the best improved" farms in this county. At one time he was the owner of 380 acres of land in the county, but by sale he has since reduced this to 200 acres, which he finds ample for his uses and for demands upon his supervision. Mr. Russell has been an extensive grower of excellent grades of live stock, and has made this an important and profitable feature of his farming enterprise; while he has also conducted large operations in the buying and shipping of cattle. His independent career has been one of consecutive progress and has indicated the fiber of the man and the correct business methods which he has employed. He was one of the organizers and incorporators of the Tecumseh State Savings Bank, in which he is still a stockholder. He is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, Free and Accepted Masons; Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons; and Blanchard Council, No. 32, Royal and Select Masters. In politics the gives his support to the Democratic party, but at no time has he permitted the consideration of his name in connection with public office of any description. In 1869 Mr. Russell was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Boyd, who was born in Ireland, whence her parents, James and Jane Boyd, immigrated to America when she was a child. They were early settlers in Raisin township, where they continued to reside until their deaths. Mr. and Mrs. Russell have six children, namely: Jennie, Minnie, Lizzie, Josephine, Layerne, and Herbert. Benjamin F. De Puy is properly to be designated in this publication as one of 'the progressive and substantial representatives of the agricultural industry in the county which has been his home From leis boyhood days and in which he is a scion of pioneer stock of the best type. Benjamin Franklin DePuy was born in Cayuga county, New York, Feb. 25, 1841, and in the salve county also occurred the birth of his father, Samuel DePuy, Aug. 715, 1910; as the name indicates, the genealogy is traced to stanch French extraction, though the family was early founded in America. Samuel DePuy chose as his life companion Miss Ann Bingham, who was born in Sussex county, New York, May 15; 18o7, of ScotclhEnglish lineage. They continued to reside In the old Empire State until 1851, when they came to Lenawee county, and located in Macon township, where the father purchased 125 acres of land, partially improved. This is the old homestead farm now owned and occupied by the subject of this sketch, and With the passim of rears it has become one of the valuable places of the county, as energy and progressive spirit have not been lacking in either the first or second generation of ownership. Samuel DePuy later purchased land in Tecumseh township, as well as in Saline township, Washtenaw county, and the aggregate area of his landed possessions was at one time 400 acres. He was a man of forceful individuality, good judgment and absolute probity, so that he not only merited the success which he gained through his earnest endeavors but also the popular confidence and esteem so uniformly reposed in him. In the earlier days of his residence in Lenawee county he served as a captain in the state militia, and in politics he was a stalwart supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, though he never sought the honors or emoluments of public office, and he adhered to the Methodist church, although not a member. His wife was a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal church, whose faith she well exemplified in her daily life. Of their six children five are living. Samuel DePuy passed to his reward March 7, 1872, and his devoted wife died Sept. 27, 1874. Benjamin F. DePuy, whose naive introduces this article, secured his rudimentary education in the schools of Cayuga and Wayne counties, New York, and was ten years of age at the time of the family immigration to Lenawee county. Here he continued his studies in the public schools of Macon township and in the meanwhile began to contribute his quota to the work of the home farm. The discipline is one which he has never had cause to regret, for the practical knowledge gained and the physical endurance engendered have proved of inestimable value to him in his later years of independent endeavor as an energetic and progressive farmer and stock-grower. He owns the old original homestead of 125 acres, and its fine improvements and high state of cultivation offer the best voucher for the discrimination and timely efforts he has brought to bear. The farm is given over to diversified agriculture and to the raising of good grades of live stock, from each department of which enterprise he secures excellent returns. He feeds and fattens a considerable number of live stock. In no degree imbued with office-seeking proclivities, Mr. DePuy is yet known as a stanch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, and he and his family attend and support the Methodist Episcopal church in the village of Ridgeway. Mr. DePuy and his only (laughter are prominently identified with the Grange, in which they have attained to the maximum degree-the seventh-which they received at the meeting of the National Grange, at Springfield, Ohio, Nov. 16, 1899. They are specially active in the work of the local Grange and deeply appreciative of its advantages in the matters of culture and refined sociability. On Aug. 7, 1872, Mr. DePu), was united in marriage to Miss Sarah A. Spalding, who was born at Tallmadge, Summit county, Ohio, Aug. 14, 1846, and who is a (laughter of Joseph and Flora (Meacham) Spalding, both of whom were born in the state of New York, and the latter of whom died Nov. 6, 1856. They came to Lenawee county in 1853 and settled on a farm in Franklin township, where the venerable father still lives-aged eighty-seven years. Mr. and Mrs. DePuy have one daughter, Brunella Fern, who was graduated in the Ridgeway High School June 12, 1895, and who remains at the parental home, a popular figure in the social life of the community. James B. Hendershot is a member of one of the honored families of Lenawee county and one which finds due representation in the pages of this publication. For the ancestral history reference may be made to other sketches in this history, and by reason of the appearance of such data it is not necessary to repeat the same in the present connection. James B. Hendershot is a native of what was Columbia county, Pennsylvania, but after the division of that county, the part he was born in became Montour county, and the date of his birth was Jan. 27, 1831. He is a son of Eben Hendershot, concerning whom more specific mention is made on other pages. Mr. Hendershot was reared to maturity in the old Keystone State and his early educational training was secured in the common schools of his native county. In 1868 he came to Lenawee county, and two years later he purchased four acres of land in Tecumseh township. This constituted the nucleus of his present well improved farm, which comprises 137 acres, of which eighty acres are in Tecumseh township. During the long intervening years Mr. Hendershot has left on his farm the indelible marks of thrift and prosperity, and practically all improvements on the place have been made by him. As an agriculturist and stockgrower he has not been content to follow in the beaten path, but has shown much initiative and enterprise, and consequently his success in his chosen sphere of endeavor has been of cumulative order, placing him among the substantial farmers of the county. He is a citizen who has at all times commanded popular confidence and regard and he has shown a commendable interest in all that touches the advancement and general welfare of the community. His political support is given to the Democratic party, and he attends the Reformed church, of which his wife is a member. On Jan. 27, 1857, Mr. Hendershot was united in marriage to bliss Hannah Hood, who was born in Allen township, \Torthanmpton county, Pennsylvania, Feb. 5, 1828, and who is a daughter of Abraham and Mary (Neeley) Hood, both of whom were natives of Pennsylvania, where they passed their entire lives. Of their six children, Mrs. Hendershot is now the only survivor. In conclusion is entered brief record concerning the five children of Mr. and Mrs. Hendershot: Emma Jane. deceased in 1895, became the wife of David Service, and they had three children-William, Ida and Margaret. Sarah is the wife of George Miller and they have six children: Mabel I., who married Lilburn Burleson, has two children-Jennie and Lilburn-who are both great-grandchildren of our subject; Merton, James, Minor, Etha and Laverne. Effie is the wife of Peter 1W'aldron and they have one child, Etta. Minnie is the wife of Edward Keener; and William, who lids the active charge of his father's farm, married Miss Anna Carlson. Mr. and . Mrs. Hendershot have four great-grandchildren, and take much pride in their numerous progeny. Tn addition to the two greatgrandchildren already mentioned, Ida Service, a granddaughter, married Henry Perry and resides in Nebraska, the mother of one child, Viola; and Margaret Service, another granddaughter, married Howard Greeg and has one child, Arthur. Hudson W. Conkling is a retired citizen of Tecumseh who has done much to assist in the material advancement of the village. He was born in Middletown. Orange county, New York, Dec. 24, 1821, the son of Samuel G. and Julia Ann (Corwin) Conkling, both natives of the Empire State, the former having been born April 11, 1797, and the latter in November, 1803. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Conkling, was,a mechanic and carpenter who settled when a young man in Middletown, N. Y., where he spent the remainder of his life. The parents came West to Michigan in 1833, and on May 22 located on a farm in the southeast quarter of section ii, in Raisin township, Lenawee county, the land being purchased from the government. The property is now owned by Hudson W. and his brother, Henry C., of Tecumseh. The father was for many years justice of the peace and was an elder in the Presbyterian church. Of the twelve children born to the parents but three survive-Hudson W., Henry C. and Lewis-born as regards age in the order given. The mother died in 1876 and her husband followed her to the tomb Dec. 9, 1883. Hudson AV. Conkling's educational training was received in an old log school house in Raisin township. He mastered the carpenter's trade first and then became a pattern-maker in a machine shop. Subsequently he became third owner in the H. Brewer Company, and while con-nected with that concern and prior to becoming a partner, he installed 105 "Little Muley" saw mills, the machinery in a number of flour mills, and other machinery. In 18go he retired from active participation in the affairs of business life and has since devoted himself exclusively to the management of the property he has accumulated. In early life Mr. Conkling was a Whig in his politi-cal allegiance, casting his first vote for Henry Clay, and although he afterward gave unswerving allegiance to the Republican party, he never sought to become its candidate for public office. In church matters he is identified with the Presbyterian Society. On Dec. 31, 1842, was solemnized Mr. Conkling's marriage to Miss Caroline Gray, born in Livingston county, New York, June 4, 1824. She is the- daughter of Hugh and Mary (Sinclair) Gray, who came to Lenawee county in 1831 and passed the remainder of their lives on the farm which they cleared in Raisin township. To Mr. and Mrs. Conkling were born four children. Frances Elmira is the wife of Leroy C. Blood, of Lansing, Mich., and has two children-Wilbur and May; DeWitt C. died at the age of five years; Charles Henry died in infancy; and Sarah Jane became the wife of Joseph -Vanness and died in 1888, leaving two children, Gertrude and Lester H., who have been reared by their grandparents. George Sawyer, a prosperous farmer residing in Palmyra township, eras born within two miles of Tecumseh on Aug. 4, 1866. He is the son of David and Caroline (Osborne) Sawyer. T,lie father was born April 3, 1834, and came to Lenawee county when but twenty-five years of age. For some years 'he worked as a farm hand, but after his marriage he purchased 12o acres of land in Manistee county and resided there for two and a half years. Upon his return to Lenawee county he entered the employ of Peter Davidson and seas thus engaged until the time of his death in r894. The mother is also deceased. George Sawyer received his educational 'training in Palmyra village and for some years after he had completed his course he worked with his father. While still a young boy he had a dog given him, which he later sold for three dollars. With the money thus acquired he purchased two calves, in the sale of which he later realized a handsome profit. This was the start of his- business career, in which he has always displayed the same carefulness and thrift that marked his early transactions. After his marriage he assumed the management of a farm of forty-seven acres, and has since been active in its conduct. He does not devote himself to any one special branch of agriculture, but has made a decided success of the general business of farming. Politically, Mr. Sawyer is a stanch supporter of the cause of the Republican party, but has, never aspired to become its candidate for public office of any nature. Although not a member, he is a devout attendant upon the divine worship of the Presbyterian church. On Sept. 12, 1893, Mr. Sawyer was happily married to" Miss Ida Pentelow, born in Palmyra township on June 11, 1869, the daughter of John and Mary (Sayers) Pentelow, both of whom were natives of England. More particular mention of Mrs. Sawyer's family relationship is to be found elsewhere in this volume in the sketch of her brother, Frank A. Pentelow. To Mr. and Mrs. Sawyer was born on Sept. 24, 1898, a son, Roy. Mr. Sawyer is the fourth in order of birth of the five children born to his parents, the others being Lucretia, the wife of William Barber, gate-tender for the Lake Shore & Michigan railway at Toledo, Ohio,; Libby, wife of William Calkins, a painter and paper hanger of Palmyra village; Carrie, living in Tecumseh; and Holloway, of whom a sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. Ervin J. Whelan, a prosperous farmer residing near- Tipton, was born in Franklin township, Feb. 18, 184o. He is the son of John and Freelove (Raymond) Whelan, both born in the state of New York, the former in Monroe county, July 8, 1802, and the latter in Genesee county, Oct. 4, i8o6. The former died Oct. 15, 1867, and the latter July 30, 1892. The grandparents, Eli and Desire (Beebe) Whelan, were born respectively on May 24, 1773, and March 23, 1772, and were united in marriage Nov. 16, 1794. Eli Whelan, the grandfather, was a soldier in the War of 1812 and died about 1818. Desire (Beebe) Whelan, the grandmother, died on the old WWThelan homestead in Franklin township, about 1848. She was living with her son, John Whelan, who, as before stated, was the father of the subject of this review, and who, although only sixteen years old when his father died, took upon himself the responsibility of caring for his mother and her younger children. He was the fifth in order of birth in a family of ten children. John and Freelove (Raymond) Whelan were married in the state of New York, Nov. 18, 1828, and came to Lenawee county in June, 1833. He had been a farmer in the Empire State, and when he came west he entered a tract of land under the homestead law, which land he cultivated during the remainder of his lifetime. Prior to settling here he had come to the county, in 1832, and secured his land and built a log cabin. He built the first saw mill` in Franklin township, equipping it with materials brought from the East.. He was a Whig in his political alliance and an Abolitionist of influence in the community. At the time of his death he held the title to some 6oo acres of land in the county. During the boundary dispute between Michigan and Ohio, known as the "Toledo War," he was one of the participants. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs.. John Whelan, one of whom died at the age of nine years, and Eveline, Marian, Alvinza and Martin are also deceased. The survivors are Otis and Ervin J. The latter received his scholastic training in the district schools of Franklin township, and until he was twenty-six years old he assisted his father in the conduct of the home farm. He then began the pursuit of agriculture on property of his own and has since devoted himself to general farming. Mr. Whelan is independent of party affiliation and holds the same general views on religious matters, not being a member of any sect or the advocate of any creed. He was formerly a member of the. Masonic order, but has demitted, and his only fraternal relations at the present time are with the Tipton lodge of the State Grange. On Nov. 11, 1866, Mr. Whelan was united in marriage to Miss Laura Billington, a daughter of Nelson and Julia (Whelan) Billington, of Franklin township. Mr. and Mrs. Billington were both natives of the state of New York and both are now deceased. Three children have been the issue of the union of Mr. and Mrs. Whelan, and specific mention of them fol-lows : Alma, born May 17, 1870, is the wife of Clarence L. Wisner, a progressive farmer of Franklin township, and on June 4, 1gog, the union of herself and husband was blessed by the birth of a daughter, Laura Augusta, named in honor of both grandmothers. It is needless to say that the parents are overjoyed, as this is their first-born. Alton F. and Hoyt J. are the names of the other two children of Mr. and Mrs. Whelan, the former having been born June 16, 1873, and the latter Oct. 23, 1877. Alton F. is a farmer in Franklin township and his wife was formerly Miss Nettie Snooks, by whom he has one child, Lyle. Hoyt J., who is also 'a farmer, married Miss Florence Spencer and has two children, Alice and Fay. Mr. Whelan's father gave each of his sons a farm on the one condition that they continue to live near each other, and the subject of this review has followed the same wise policy with his sons. Leslie B. Robertson is one of the leading and influential young business men of Adrian. He is the treasurer of the Pennsylvania and Adrian plants of the Page Woven Wire Fence Company, and is also manager of the Adrian factory. Leslie B. Robertson is a son of George P. and Mary F. (Richardson) Robertson and was born June r8, r871, in Ogden township, Lenawee county. His father was born in West Virginia, March 15, 1835, and lived there until the spring of 1844, when with his father, James Robertson, he moved to Canaan, Wayne county, Ohio. After a short time the family moved to Milton township, in the same county, and three years later the grandfather purchased a tract of land in Lafayette township, Medina county, Ohio, where the family resided until 1854. In that year they came to Michigan, locating on a large tract of land in sections 15 and 22, in Ogden township, this county. In 1855, ' George P. Robertson purchased forty acres of land in section r6, Ogden township. Sixteen years later. when the subject of this sketch was born, the farm consisted of 12o acres, finely improved and absolutely free from debt. The father still owns this farm, but now resides in Adrian, where he holds an important position with the Page Woven Wire Fence Company. There are four children in the father's family. Pearlett A. is the wife of Dr. W. E. Scriber., of Detroit; Alice E. is now Mrs. Charles H. Page, of Harrison, Mich. ; Cora B. is the wife of John W. Rohloff, of Ogden township; and Leslie B., the subject of this sketch, is the youngest member of the family. He took advantage of the educational opportunities afforded by the public schools and graduated in the high school at Blissfield with the class of 1888. Three years later, he received the degree of Bachelor of Laws from the law department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. He embarked in the practice of his profession in the upper peninsula of Michigan, where he was engaged for a period of two years. In the fall of 1893, he carne to Adrian and formed a partnership with Herbert R. Clark, the firm being known as Robertson & Clark. In lgoi he gave up a lucrative law practice to become the treasurer of the Page Woven Wire Fence Company, the position he has since so capably filled. In his political belief, Mr. Robertson is an ardent adherent of the principles of the Republican party, and does much to bring about the success of that party at the polls. In 1goo, he was one of the district delegates to the Republican National Con-vention, which renominated President McKinley and made Theodore Roosevelt the vice-presidential nominee of the party. In the fall of 1907, he served in the convention at Lansing which drafted the new constitution of the state, which was adopted at the fall election of igo8. Fraternally, he is identified with the Knights Templar of the Masonic order, and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. On June 1, 1898, Mr. Robertson was united in marriage to Miss Bertha H. Page, the daughter of J. Wallace Page, a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume. Mrs. Robertson is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Adrian. The Robertson home at 21 State street is in one of the most beautiful residence districts in the city. Israel W. Ferris, a prosperous, progressive and influential farmer of the township of Woodstock, whose success in life is due to his own enterprise, intelligence and a determination to accomplish his purpose regardless of the obstacles in his pat way, was born in Steuben county, New York, Oct. 15, 1845. He is the son of Ambrose and Maria (Sanders) Ferris, both of whom were born in Cayuga county, New York. The parents were married in their native state, and in 1854, when Israel W., of this review, was nine years of age, the family migrated to Lenawee county and located on a farm in Woodstock township, where the father and mother continued to live for many years. Ambrose Ferris was ever recognized as a man of sound judgment, integrity and thrift and in politics he rendered allegiance to the Democratic party, though he never aspired to public office. He passed away in 1848, aged sixtyfour years, and the mother expired in 1882, age seventy-five years. The subject of this sketch acquired his educational training in the common schools of Woodstock and Napoleon. Jackson county, and in the high school at Ionia, Ionia county. He left school when thirteen years of age and commenced his real work in life by hiring out by the month to- farmers residing in the immediate neighborhood of the parental homestead. He was thus employed for eight years and then purchased a team of horses and operated a leased farm for three years, after which he bought forty acres of land, which he sold at the expiration of six inonths at a profit of $450. He then purchased another forty acres, upon which he resided and continued to cultivate for nine years, when he sold out, this time at a profit of $500. Mr. Ferris then purchased the farm where he now resides, containing sixty acres, and has since carried on a general farming business, in which he has been very successful. He is a man of broad and liberal views, uses much discrimination in the handling of the various details of his business affairs and is recognized as a public-spirited citizen. Mr. Ferris has continued to make the best of permanent improvements on his place and on every side are evidences of thrift and prosperity. He is held in high esteem in the community in which he has resided for so many years and takes much interest in public affairs. In his political affiliations he has always supported the cause of the Democratic party, and during the past eighteen years he has officiated as assessor in his district. In matters pertaining to religion he entertains liberal views. Mr. Ferris was married, in 1874, to Miss Hannah Canady, daughter of George and Cathren (Morehouse) Canady, of which union have been born seven children: Florence, the eldest, born Dec. 6, 1876, is the wife of Rome Ferrel and resides in the township of Hudson, the mother of one child-Roscoe ; Norman, who ranks second in point of age, was born Sept. 14, 1878, is married to Lilly Norton and resides in Woodstock township ; Maud, born Sept. 20, ISSo, is the wife of Roscoe Pellum, a resident of the village of Addison; Shirley, born Sept. 25, 1882, resides in the township of Woodstock, is the wife of Arthur Joncox and the mother of one child-Duaine; Clarence, born Sept. 9, 1884, is married to Mabel Rowlson and they have two children-Vincent and Marian; Grace, born Nov. 20, 1886, died in 1go5, aged eighteen years; Claude, born Sept. 4, 1888, is unmarried and makes his hone with his parents. Christian and Regina (Walter) Schneirla, late residents of Clinton township, and whose untimely deaths were recorded at that time of their lives when their industry had earned a respite from the arduous labors of their earlier years, were natives of the kingdom of Wurttemberg, Germany, where the former was born May 22, 1840, and the latter April 30, 1842. Christian Schneirla came with other members of his family to America when he was a boy, and when he was thirteen years of age, in 1853, he became a resident of Ann Arbor, Mich., where he remained about eight years, at the expiration of which, in 1861, he went to California, having become imbued with the spirit of adventure. He remained in the Golden State four years and then returned to Germany, where he visited his old home for some time. Upon his return to the United States he again located in Ann Arbor, where he continued to live for two years. In 1868 he removed thence to Lenawee county and purchased a farm of 11o acres, in Clinton township. He was a man of industrious and frugal habits, was significantly the architect of his own fortune, and as his financial resources increased he made judicious investments in additional land in this county, where he eventually became the owner of an estate of 264 acres, practically all in Clinton township. He made the best improvements on his property and became one of the substantial farmers and highly honored citizens of the county. He continued to reside on the old homestead until his death, which occurred May 26, 1889, at which time he was in the very prime of his useful manhood. His good wife, Regina (Walter) Schneirla, survived him seven years and passed away Sept. 9, 1896. Theirs was a beautiful domestic life, and their example has ever been. before their children, a lasting- sacred memory. The mother was a devoted member of the German Lutheran church at Benton, with which the father -,vas also prominently identified. In politics he was a stanch Republican and he was active in the support of the party cause in.his locality, ever showing a loyal interest in public affairs of a local nature. Of the twelve children born to this estimable couple, all are living, and their names are here entered in the order bf birth. Anna, Jacob, Christian, Pauline, Edward, Regina, Charles, William, Walter, Clara, Clarence and Emma. The deaths of the parents did not result, as is usually the case, in the breaking up of the hone, the dividing of the estate, and the separation of the children. They continued to reside at the old homestead, the duties and cares of the parents being assumed by the older brothers and sisters, and the younger ones were given the benefit of love and devotion in such measure as to fittingly exemplify the Scriptural quotation: "How pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." Anna, the eldest daughter, -,vas educated at the Clinton schools, as were also her' brothers and sisters, and she is now the wife of Olaf Ostman and resides in \Tewaygo county, Michigan. Jacob is the eldest son, and upon him the duty of looking after the interests of the family rested, after the death of the father. He became the mother's main' support, and this good son and brother assumed the place of father to' the younger children. Tt was his labor and thrift that kept the home intact, and his duties as guardian of the younger brothers and sisters were nobly Performed. For seven years after his mother's death he continued to remain at home, but in 1903 his health became impaired, and since that time he has been located in Alaska. Christian continued a member of the family circle until 1894, and then was located in various places until the breaking out of the Spanish.American war, -,when he became a member of Company D, Thirtyfirst Michigan infantry. After his 'term of service expired, he returned to Bay City and was there married to Mrs. 'Emily AArebb, of which union there have been born three children: Theodore, Edwin and Mabel. Upon the death of the mother. Pauline, the Second daughter, assumed the duties of the household. caring for the younger brothers and sisters, and thus far she has devoted Tier life to the family. No greater praise can be given this devoted -,woman than to say that the younger children have been reared in the love of the home, faithful to the religion of their parents_ and devoted to one another. Edward is in Alaska with his brotheiJacob, as are also Charles and William. Regina is the wife of Frank Dermyer, of Brooklyn, Mich., and is the mother of two children-Lawrence and Charles. Walter is the present active manager of the homestead and is given more extended mention in the closing part of this review. Clara is the wife of Frank A. Ott, and is the mother of two children-Clarence and Walter-and resides in the state of Washington. Clarence remains at home and assists in the management of the farm, and Emma, the youngest, is now a student in Olivet College, at Olivet, Mich. As before stated, the present active management of the homestead is with Walter Schneirla. He received his earlier educational discipline in the public schools of Clinton,. and has been concerned with the work and management of the home farm from his early youth. He now has the general supervision of the same, which is devoted to diversified agriculture and to the raising of high-grade stock and poultry. Mr. Schneirla is an enthusiast in his work and finds that in farming correct business principles and management will entail good results, as in all other lines of industrial and commercial enterprise. In politics he is a stalwart in the local camp of the Republican party, in whose cause he has rendered effective service, and has been elected to various offices in his township. He is a member of the German Lutheran Church, in which faith he was reared, and is affiliated with Tecumseh Lodge, No. 14, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Like all other members of this well known family, he enjoys the confidence and esteem of the community which has ever been his home and he is well entitled to representation in this publication. Robert Stephenson Mitchell, deceased, was a progressive farmer of Raisin township, to which he was native, having been born there in March, 1855. He was the son of Stephen and Jane (Stephenson) Mitchell, who were both natives of the Emerald Isle and came to America, settling in New York state, but later they came to Leriawee county, where they located on a farm in Raisin township and continued to reside until the father's death, in i88o, after which the mother came to Adrian and lived with her daughter until her death, in 1892. There were two children in the Mitchell family, of whom Robert, our subject, was the eldest. His sister, Anna, is the wife of Theodore Lochner, a retired resident of Adrian. Robert S. Mitchell was reared and received his preliminary education in the district schools of his native township, which training was effectively supplemented by a course in Raisin Valley Seminary. On Dec. 1S, i878, was celebrated his marriage to Miss Mary A. Campbell, who was born in Raisin township Aug. 19, 1857. Her parents were John and Nancy (Moreland) Camp-bell, both of whom were natives of Ireland, though the father was of Scotch parentage. They were early settlers in Lenawee county, having immigrated to America and come direct to Adrian, where they were married, and then settled on a farm in Raisin township. They later sold this place and bought another farm near Morenci, in 1864. They continued to reside on that farm until the mother's death, in 18q9, after which the father made his home with Mrs. Mitchell until his death, which occurred in 1903. To Mr. and Mrs_ Campbell were born six children, concerning whom the following brief data are given: Louis is a farmer residing near Morenci; Ellen is deceased; Eliza is the wife of Robert Preston, a farmer residing in Macon township; Mary A. is the widow of Robert Stephenson Mitchell; John W. is a real-estate dealer and resides in Chicago; Albert was a resident of Alaska when last heard from, in 1907.. Mr. Mitchell resided with his father and assisted in the management of the farm until the latter's death, and then became the owner of it, the farm consisting of 120 acres, to which he has added another forty acres, making a fine homestead of 16o acres. He was an enterprising and progressive agriculturist and was extensively engaged in feeding, buying and selling stock, which he made a very profitable business. At his homestead, on Feb_ 13, x888, occurred his death, after which Mrs. Mitchell continued to reside there for several years, and then rented the farm, in 1899, and came to Adrian, where she bought the pleasant home at 15 East Butler street, where she now resides and expects to make her home throughout her life. She still owns and rents the farm, however. They were the parents of four children, concerning whom the following brief data is added to this sketch : William, who was born Sept. 28, 1879, and died Sept. 8, 19o6, was married and employed as a clerk in a clothing store in Jackson; Bessie, born Feb. 6, 1882, is engaged as a milliner -and resides with her mother; Albert C., born Oct. 25, .1885, resides with his mother and holds a very responsible position in the Commercial Savings Bank, as bookkeeper; Robert S., born - Nov. 1, 1887, resides with his mother and is engaged in the cigar business. Mr. Mitchell gave his political allegiance to the Democratic party and was very influential in public affairs of a local nature. He was much interested in securing the very best school advantages that were to'be obtained for the schools of Raisin township, and he acted for a number of years in the capacity of school director. Mrs. Mitchell is a member of the Presbyterian church of Raisin.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com