History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 81



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Dayton B. Morgan, of that ancient and honorable priesthood who', with the law as a profession partake of all the learned sciences and arts and deal in all the affairs that mankind delves in, settle the complex affairs of their fellowmen, and who are more roundly abused than the devotees of any other profession, is a native of Ohio, born in Lorain county, May 11, 1846. As the good name of Morgan indicates, our subject's father was of Welsh extraction, and his mother was Scotch, his father, David Morgan, and his mother, Agnes (Scott) Morgan, both being natives of the state of New York. Our subject's maternal grandfather was once of the first settlers of Lorain county, and it was to this county that David Morgan immigrated and made his permanent home, and there was married. His paternal grandfather was the second to lay' out a claim and receive a government grant in the above named county. This couple spent the remainder of their days there, and the old homestead is now owned and operated by one of our subject's brothers. Seven children were born to David Morgan and wife. and but three of them survive: Dayton 13.; Elmer E., who lives on the old homestead ; and Mary M.; the wife of. Noble Hurst, now living in Lorain county, near the old home. These children were born in Lorain county and received the advantages of the schools of the local district, but the subject of this sketch supplemented his school work by a complete course at Oberlin College, and in 1875 located in Morenci, in this county. At that village he engaged in the practice of the law and lived there for eleven years. During the Civil war he served his country as a private in Company C, Eighty-sixth Ohio infantry, and in that re!-irnent-he served eight months, after which period he re-enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Sixty-sixth Ohio National Guards, and was mustered out in 1864, at Cleveland. His eldest brother, Charles, was the first volunteer in the township of Camden, Lorain county, and died shortly after the close of the war, from injuries received while in the line of duty. He was a private in the Twenty-third Ohio. In politics, Mr. Morgan is a Republican, and in 1886 was elected prosecuting attorney and removed from Morenci to Adrian, where he has since continued to make his home. After his term as prosecuting attorney had expired a law office was opened in the city and this has engaged his attention. For several years he served as a member of the local school board. At the present time he is a director 'in the Lenawee County Savings Bank, socially he is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Woodbury Post, No. 45, and he is also affiliated, with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. A member of the Baptist church, he is one of the trustees of that organization and is also one of the board of trustees of the Young Men's Christian Association. For seven years of his business career in Adrian he was' in partnership with. F. E. Priddy, the law firm being known as Morgan & Priddy. While attending school at Oberlin, our subject met Miss Julia A. Morrison, and this acquaintance ripened into love and their nuptials were celebrated Oct. 28, 1868. Miss Morrison was a native of Brighton, Lorain county, Ohio, and was a student at the college when first she met her future husband. Two children have been born to them, Ray B. and Irene. Ray graduated in the high school and college in Adrian and afterwards attended the Detroit College of Law, in which school he has graduated. Irene, now Mrs. Fred- L. Moreland, of Portland, Ore., attended school at the alma mater of her father and mother and took advantage of the fine musical course of that institution. William Kimball Choate, deceased, son of one of the pioneers of Michigan and an active business man of Adrian. was born April 23, 1829, in Derry, N. H. His parents were Nathan and Louisa Choate, both natives of the Granite State, and they came to this county when William was but a youth, spending. the remainder of their days here. Their farm was the place where our subject began his life's work, and as his education was completed when the family residence was taken up in this section, he never attended school here. After leaving the farm his first work was in the commission line, in Hudson, and in that village he remained for some years, then came to Adrian and engaged in a similar occupation. "The commission business was his principal line, but other interests demanded his attention and he was active in the management of a saw mill. His disposition was energetic, and in all the business he engaged in he was active and of the hustling class. Several years prior to his death he became a stockholder in one of the prominent Adrian banks and he took great pride in the sound, substantial condition of that institution. His death occurred March 26,. 1892. While never a -member of any religious denomination, his attendance at the Presbyterian church of Adrian was regular and he contributed to the support of all Christian causes. Politically, he was an ardent Democrat, but he never held, nor aspired to hold, any public office-his time being taken up with his business interests-but he took great interest in his county's welfare. MrChoate was married twice, and 'to the first union were born two children, Louise and Mary, both of whom passed away in 1890. On April 29, 1891, he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Bradish, daughter of Curran and Rhoby (Comstock) Bradish, of Adrian township. Both Mr. and Mrs. Bradish were natives of the Einpire State and among the early settlers of this community. Mr. Bradish was engaged in the line of agriculture and also followed the profession of teaching. While both were natives of New York state their marriage occurred in Raisin township, from whence they moved to Madison township and located on a farm, where they resided for about six years, followed by a two-year term on a farm in Raisin township,-and then they removed to Adrian where they made their permanent home. Mr. Bradish had been a -school teacher in Palmyra, N. Y., previous to his coming into the West, and while living on the various farms in this section the same profession engaged his attention. After coming to Adrian, he practically retired, although some attention was given to the realestate business. Squire I3radish was a man of political importance in his 'day and held many public offices, and his advice was sought by his party at the polls and in caucus. The office of justice of the peace had been held by him for some years, and his life in this community was one of importance. To the B.radish couple were born eight children, but two of whom are living. Their children were Sarah, who became the wife of Col. E. J. March (now deceased), a lawyer and editor of The Hillsdale Leader; and Anna, widow of our subject. Mrs. -Choate makes her home in the city of Adrian and resides on Dennis street, Fred R. Seger, M. D., deceased, was born in Rome Center, Lenawee county, Feb. 3, 1863, and came to the city of Adrian with his parents at the age of seven. He received his early education in the fine public schools of Adrian and after finishing high school attended Adrian College. He determined to make the study of medicine his life work, and when only nineteen years of age entered the medical department of the University of Michigan. He was an earnest student and graduated from that institution with honors with the class of x885. When only twenty-two years of age he returned to Adrian, his childhood home, and engaged in the active duties of his profession in partnership with his father, Dr. A. NV. Seger. Dr. Fred assumed almost all of his father's large practice as his father retired from the partnership soon after his son graduated from the university. His practice extended all over the country around Adrian, and in order to care for his many patients he kept nine horses in the stable, often completely exhausting all of them in a hard day and night. He was one of the most promising ,professional men of Lenawee county, and his death was a serious loss to the community in which he had labored with such zeal for eight years. The doctor was a strong vigorous man and seemed embodied with such health, that when he entered the sick room, his very presence seemed to act as a tonic, and every patient felt better for his encouraging words. It was while administering to the suffering and afflicted that the doctor contracted typhoid fever. The best medical skill in the state was summoned to his aid, but from the first he felt that his sickness was final, and although every power known to modern scientists was used to overcome the disease, nothing availed and the brave sufferer, passed away after nine days. For forty-eight hours preceding his demise the doctor was unconscious with the exception of a few hours before he passed away on Nov. 2, 1893. His popularity was well attested by the.large concourse of grieving friends who gathered to pay him honor. The doctor was an earnest and loyal worker in the First Baptist Church of Adrian. He was prominent in fraternal circles, being a member of Lenawee Tent, Knights of the Maccabees, a member of the Maple City Lodge, Knights of Pythias, and of the Adrian Cornmandery, Knights Templars. He was the examining physician for the Knights of the Maccabees and was also city physician of Adrian for three years. In September, 1885, Dr. Seger was united in marriage to Miss Margaret E. Sweet, the daughter of Myron W. Sweet, who came to Adrian in 1836, and engaged in the pump business. During his later life he became a traveling salesman and handled insurance. He died Dec. 23, 1886, and his widow now lives with Mrs. Seger. Mrs. Sweet has been afflicted with blindness for the last few years. Four children were born to bless the union of Dr. and Mrs. Seger. Beatrice is now the wife of Ralph Clement and resides upon a farm of 40o acres in Madison township, which Ralph and his father, Walter Clement, of Adrian, own jointly. The second child, Margaret, graduated at the Adrian High School in I9o8, and lives at home; Fred is also at home; and Marian L., now a girl of fifteen, born after her father's death, also lives with her mother. Mrs. Seger is a very generous, public spirited woman who is intensely interested in educational matters. She was a member of the board of education in Adrian for four years, being elected in 19o4, and re-elected in 19o7, but resigned some six months ago. She owns a farm of loo acres, three miles out on West Beecher street, in Madison township, which she intends to turn into a dairy farm, where about fifty cows will be kept. She also owns her beautiful home at No. 7 Division street, and other valuable city property. James A. Harsh, whose energy and determination have acquired for him a home and farm in this county of his adoption, was born in Preston county, Nest Virginia,' April 19, 186o. His birth was at the time his sectipn of the state of Virginia was preparing to separate from the eastern portion on account of a difference of opinion as to the right to secede, and shortly following the advent of Mr. Harsh into this world, a collection or number of the western counties formed a state and were admitted into the Union as West Virginia. Thus his state was loyal, and it was his good fortune to be born of parents whose entire sympathy was with the North. The parents of our subject were Steven and Maria (Porter) Harsh, the father a native of Preston county, born April 28, 1829, and the mother's birthplace was in Maryland, where her birth took place 23-2v Jan. 10. 1833. The elder Harsh spent all his days 'in the county of his nativity and there followed an agricultural calling, led a quiet life, prospered with his work and business, never aspired to public office though active in politics, and finally died Aug. 6, 19o6, and was buried in the county that had always been his home. Steven Harsh and Maria Porter were united in marriage in 1850, and to their union were born eleven children, as follows: Lloyd E., living in West Virginia; Annabel (Wotring) and Laura (Wotring), also of West Virginia; Fannie (Hanline), deceased; James A., subject of this sketch; Rachel (Calhoun), deceased; Anna M. (Wotring), of West Virginia; Emma (IIanline), of West Virginia; John Wesley, living on the old homestead in Preston county, West Virginia; Aden C., deceased, and Andrew, who lives with John Wesley. Our subject was educated at the district schools in his native county, and early in life, in r884, left the parental roof and located in Ogden township, Lenawee county, where he purchased a farm of ioo acres. He remained there until 1907, when he removed to Adrian township and purchased a farm of 200 acres all under a high state of cultivation. He engages in dairying and the raising of stock, generally described as diversified farming. His chosen occupation has been the life of a farmer and in this avocation he has prospered. His industry and activity have won for him a home in the county of his choice and he is looked upon as a man of ability and strength of character. In politics he follows the doctrines of the Democratic party on all national issues, but regarding the administration of local affairs he is independent. For the last fifteen years our subject has been a member of the United Brethren church and a contributor to that worthy organization, his wife also being a member of the same religious body. On April 4, r886, Mr. Harsh led to the altar Miss Addie, daughter of Joseph W. and Betsey (Skinner) Hagerman, of Isabel county, Michigan, but natives of New York state, and of this union have been born eight children, namely: Elmer, who resides one mile north of his father's farm; Frank, Clifford, Myrtle, Hazel and Bessie, living at home; Carrie, deceased, and one child died in infancy. Mrs. Maria Harsh, the mother of our subject, is the daughter of John S. and Hannah (Combs) Porter, former residents of Allegany county, Maryland. John S. Porter was a native of Maryland, a farmer by occupation, and his forefathers came from England. He was soldier in the War of 1812, serving as a private in a Baltimore regiment, and after the close of hostilities returned to agricultural pursuits. He spent the most of his life on a farm, moving to West Virginia in 1841, and after the death of his wife, in February, 1844, he spent the remainder of his life as a member of the household of his son, Samuel Porter. He was first a Whig and later a Republican in politics, and all the members of the family were allied with the Methodist church. To him and his good wife were born eight children, as follows : William, Samuel, Maria, John M. L., Aden C., Martha Ellen, and two who died in infancy. Maria and Aden C. are the only living representatives of this immediate family, and the former, who is the mother of the subject of this review, resides in West Virginia with her son, John Wesley, on the old homestead. Extended mention of Aden C. Porter appears on other pages of this volume, in the sketch of his son, Walter S. Porter. Cullen T. Cheney is one of the native sons of Lenawee county, whose memory links the early pioneer period with these latter clays of opulent prosperity and advancement in this favored section of the state, where practically his entire life has been passed. He is a scion of one of the old and honored families of the county; it was his to represent his native state as a leal and loyal soldier of the republic in the Civil war, and he attained to success as one of the progressive farmers of Fairfield township, where he still owns a well improved homestead, though he is living practically retired in the village of jasper, where he has an attractive home and is surrounded with friends tried and true. Mr. Cheney was born in Madison township, this county, May 25, 1841, and is a son of John and Louisa (Finch) Cheney, both natives of the state of New York, where the former was born Sept. 4, 1802, and the latter, May 3, 1807. John Cheney came to Lenawee county in 1833, about four years prior to the admission of Michigan into the Union, and in Madison township he purchased forty acres of heavily timbered land, to whose reclamation he forthwith directed his energies. He remained, on that farm until 1847, when he removed to Fairfield township, where he purchased 12o acres, to which he later added by the buying of contiguous land. He reclaimed and improved this homestead and made it one of the valuable farms of the county. He retained seventy-five acres as his home farm during the latter years of his life, and he passed away Jan. 20, 1892, at the patriarchal age of ninety years and secure in the high regard of all who knew him. He was a Republican in politics from the time of the organization of the party until his death, and both he and his wife were devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in whose faith the latter passed to the life eternal July 31, 1879. They became the parents of nine children: Edward S., Evaline F., George P. and Delfina A., are deceased; Alpheus is a resident of the city of Cleveland, Ohio; Cullen T., of this sketch, was the next in order of birth; John 1T. maintains his home in the city of Adrian, this county, and Dewitt and William H. are deceased. Cullen T. Cheney was reared on the pioneer farm of his honored father and is indebted to the early schools of Fairfield township for his educational trainin in his youthful clays. He recalls with marked appreciation the little and primitive frame school-house in which he conned his lessons when a boy, and it has been a source of gratification to him that he has been able to offer to his children the superior advantages which the passing years have brought in the local educational field. He continued to be associated with the work of the home farm until his youthful patriotism was kindled to responsive protest by the thundering of Confederate guns against the ramparts of old Fort Sumter. His loyalty was that of definite action, for in September, 1861, when twenty years of age, he enlisted as a private in Company K, Eleventh Michigan infantry, with which 11e proceeded to the front and with which he continued during practically the entire period of the war. He took part in many important engagements, among which may be mentioned Stone's River, Elk River, Davis' Crossroads, Chickamauga, Rossville, Missionary Ridge, Graysville, Sherman's Atlanta campaign, Buzzard's Roost, Resaca, Dallas, Kennesaw Mountain, Sewanee Church, battle of Atlanta, and East Point. In the autumn of 1862 he was promoted to the office of corporal, and he remained incumbent of this position until the close of his long and faithful service as a valiant soldier of the Republic. . He received his honorable discharge Sept. 30, 1864, only a few months before victory crowned the Union arms and terminated the great internecine conflict between the states of the North and South. After his return from the field of warfare Mr. Cheney set himself to the gaining of such victories as are to be won in the "piping times of peace." In Fairfield township he purchased forty acres of land, partially improved, to which he later added an adjoining tract of equal area, and here he developed a valuable farm, upon which he made the best of improvements. In 18go he removed to Ogden Center, this county, where he remained four years, after which he gave his attention to the management of his farm for the ensuing six years. In'Igo1 he took up his residence in the attractive village of jasper, where he has since lived a retired life, and where his circle of friends is limited only by that of his acquaintanceship in the section which has ever represented his home. In politics Mr. Cheney is aligned as a stanch supporter of the cause of the Democratic party, but he has never sought nor desired public office of any order. He and his wife are supporters of the Free Will Baptist church, as was also his first wife. He is affiliated with Fairfield Grange, No. 267; with Ogden Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and with Ogden Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mrs. Cheney is a member of the Order of the Eastern Star, the Woman's Relief Corps, the Grange, and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. On Aug. 2, 1866, Mr. Cheney was united in marriage to Miss Amanda M. Baldwin, daughter of John and Abigail (Smith) Baldwin, who were numbered among the early settlers of Madison township. Mrs. Cheney was summoned to the life eternal Dec. 10, 1go6, and of the four children two are living. George Ralph died in 1go1, and Abigail died in infancy; Edith C. is the wife of Irving Reed, of Fairfield township, and Carl B. resides on the old homestead farm. On March 12, 19o8, Mr. Cheney contracted a second marriage, as he was then united to Mrs. Emma J. Pebbles,-widow of Bruen Pebbles and a daughter of William H. and Naomi (Merrill) Worden, who passed the closing years of their lives in Lenawee county. Mr. Worden was born in Oswego county, New York, and his wife was a native of Bangor, Me. Mr. Worden had been a sailor on the Great Lakes in his earlier life, and upon coming to the West he located in Fulton county, Ohio, whence he later came over into Lenawee county and took tip his residence in Fairfield township, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for a number of years and where his wife died. He was a resident of the city of Adrian at the time of his death. Thomas Murphy is known as one of the substantial capitalists and representative farmers and stock-growers of Lenawee county, where he has won success through his own well directed energies and commands unequivocal confidence and esteem. Mr. Murphy is a native of Tullynney, County Antrim, Ireland, where he was born Aug. 15, 1848, and he is a son of John and Mary (Sample) Murphy, both of whom were likewise natives of Ireland, where the former was born in Tullynney, July 16, 1817, and the latter in Carnlea, June 15, 1819. John Murphy was the son of John and Elizabeth (Simpson) Murphy, of Tullynney; County Antrim, Ireland, and the latter, who was the grandmother of our subject, was a very strict Covenantor, religiously, whose ancestors were natives of Scotland and fled to the North of Ireland to escape the religious persecutions in the Seventeenth century. James and Mary (Cunning) Sample, grandparents of the subject of this review, were also natives of Carnlea, County Antrim, Ireland, and were descendants of old Scotch Presbyterians, the grandfather's people on both sides being farmers in a modest way. Thomas Murphy, at the age of twenty, in May, 1868, came to America, located in Lenawee county, and began work by the month, saving his earnings and sending money to his brothers John, Andrew S., and William T.-to enable then in coming to the "land of the free." He also assisted his parents in coming. The brothers, however, returned to him the money which he had advanced to them, after they arrived here and secured work. The parents came to America; in June, 1881, and took up their abode in Macon, Lenawee county, where the son, Thomas, had a house already furnished for them. There they lived twenty-two years. They were residents of Clinton township at the time of their deaths, as the sons had moved away from Macon, and they built a small house in Clinton township, near to them. The mother passed away Jan. 1, 1903, and the father October 27 of the same year. They held membership in the Presbyterian church and were people of distinctive mentality and sterling attributes of character. They are survived by four sons and two daughters. Thomas Murphy was reared and educated in the fair Emerald Isle, where he attended the excellent Cloughwater national schools, and he preceded his parents to America by several years, as before stated. Since becoming a resident of Lenawee county, in i868, he has continued to make his home here and he has worked his way from obscurity to a position of no little prominence and of definite independence and prosperity. He began working by `the month as a farm hand and was thus engaged for a period of ten years. The first year he worked for James B. Colvin, of Raisin, and the ensuing three years for the late Edmund Hall, of Holloway. Then for six years he ,vas in the employ of the late Judge C. A. Stacy, of Tecumseh, which employment he left on his wedding day. In all these years he lost no time, and had always hired out to his new employer before leaving the old one. He realized and observed the truth of Benjamin Franklin's statement that, "Sloth, like rust, consumes faster than labor wears," and thus he has never lacked appreciation of the dignity and value of honest toil, no matter in what field of endeavor. He also had the wisdom to carefully husband his resources during those early years of earnest application, and this was shown in the fact that within nine years he saved from his earnings the noteworthy sum of $3,000. In 1877 he purchased eighty acres of land in Macon township, though he continued- to work by the month about one year thereafter, in the meantime renting his newly acquired farm. He then purchased an additional forty acres, equipped with adequate buildings, and thereafter he long gave his undivided time and attention to the work and improvement of his farm property. In x891 he purchased another forty acres adjoining, and in the autumn of 1898 he purchased his present fine homestead farm of 130 acres, in Tecumseh township. Still later he purchased forty acres in Clinton township, so that his landed estate in Lenawee.county now aggre-gates 330 acres. His energy during these long years has been unabating, and his progressive policy and able management of affairs have placed him among the leading farmers and stock-growers of the county where he began his independent career as a farm hand. Such accomplishment means much and should bring a due measure of objective appreciation and admiration. Mr. Murphy is a stockholder in the Anthony Fence Company, manufacturers of wire fence; also a stockholder in the H. Brewer Company, manufacturers of clay-working machinery, and is a director of the Farmers' Fire Insurance Company of Lenawee county. He has not failed to take a loyal interest in all that has tended to conserve the material and civic prosperity of his home county, and in politics he has ever given a stanch support to the cause for which the Republican party stnds sponsor. While a resident of Macon township he served as- school moderator and school assessor for years and township treasurer two terms, and in public office, as in private life, he has had the inviolable confidence and regard of those who know him. He and his wife are zealous members of the Presbyterian church, in whose faith he was reared. April 3, 1878, witnessed the marriage of Mr. Murphy to Miss Jennie Anderson, who was born in the Craigs, County Antrim, Ireland, July 30, 1846, a daughter of William and Eliza (Getty) Anderson, who became residents of Lenawee county in 1865, and passed the remainder of their lives in Ridgeway township. The following is a brief record concerning the children of -Mr. and Mrs. Murphy: James A. was born Jan. 8, 1879, and is now bookkeeper in the offices of the Ohio Savings Bank and Trust Company at Toledo, Ohio. He was graduated in the Ridgeway High School and also in the-Cleary Business College, at Ypsilanti, Mich., taking both the business and shorthand courses. On June 9, 19o3, he was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Russell, and they have one son, Russell Anderson, born in 1907. Lizzie May, the second child, was born April 12, 1881, and was graduated in both the Ridgeway and Tecumseh high schools, after which she eras a popular teacher in the public schools of the county until her marriage, March 25, 19o3, when she became the wife of Louis R. Feldman, of Maybee township, Monroe county, Michigan, and they have one son, Clare Merton, born May 4, I9o6. Anna Florence, who was born Sept. 20, 1883, was graduated at the Tecumseh High School and from the Michigan State Normal School at Ypsilanti, and is now a successful teacher in the Elsie High School in Clinton county, Michigan. Thomas Earl Murphy, who was born March 7, 1889, is assisting his father in the nanagement of the home farm. H e has been through the Tecumseh High School and is preparing to enter the Detroit Business College. Ella Agnes was born Sept. 30, 1894, and is attending the public schools of Tecumseh (Igog), in the immediate vicinity of which village the family home is located. In June, 1907, Mr. and Mrs. Murphy and their daughter, Ella, made a trip to the native land of the parents and visited Ballymena, County Antrim, Ireland. They also visited the Irish International Exhibition, at Dublin, the city of Belfast, Londonderr, Giant's Causeway, and all the large cities. They enjoyed the' trip very much. Mr. Murphy hardly knew his old home, nor the people, as everything had changed for the better in the thirty-nine years since he had left his native heath. The return trip to America was made in the month of September. James Joughin, who is now numbered among the representative farmers and stock-growers of Lenalvee county, has here made his home from his boyhood days, and his advancement to his present position of independence and success is the result of his own ability and well directed efforts in connection with the great basic industry under whose influences he was reared. The name which he bears has long been identified with the annals of the fair Isle of Man, and he himself manifests the canny attributes of the true Manxman of the sturdy and ambitious type. He was born on the Isle of Man, off the coast of the British isles, Dec. 9, 1848, and is a son of Hugh and Elizabeth (Clelan) Joughin, both of whom were born and reared on the same island where the respective families had been established for many generations. There the father was engaged in farming until his death, and in 1855 his widow came with her family to America, where she felt convinced that better opportunities could be given her children. Soon after her arrival in the port of the national metropolis she came to Michigan and took up her abode in Medina township, Lenawee county, where she purchased of Hiram Howe a farm of forty acres, a considerable portion of which was still covered with the virgin forest. Under her effective management and that of her elder sons the farm was developed to a high state of productiveness and she found the closing years of her life compassed with beneficent sur-roundings and the various elements which make for prosperity and contentment, so that she never had cause to regret that she severed the ties which bound her to her native land and established a home in a country far removed from that of her birth. She continued to reside on her homestead until her death, which occurred about 1898. Of her eight children the subject of this review is the youngest. William, Thomas, Edward, John, Margaret and Mary are deceased, and Hugh is a successful farmer of Medina township. James Joughin was a lad of about seven years at the time of the family immigration to the United States, and he was reared to manhood on the homestead farm in Medina township, where he duly availed himself of the advantages of the common schools, after which he was enabled to continue his studies in Medina Academy, a well ordered private institution of the locality and period. He continued to be identified with farm work during his youth, and in 1875, when twenty-seven years of age, he purchased eighty acres of land, where he has since maintained his home and where his success has been constantly 'cumulative, as he has directed his energies with marked circumspection and ability. His homestead now comprises 232 acres of as productive land as is to be found in this favored section of the state; and the same is equipped with excellent buildings and other permanent improvements of the most approved type. Mr. Joughin reclaimed a considerable portion of his land from the native forest, and thus added to its productive area, and as a farmer and stock-grower he has manifested energy and progressive ideas. As a citizen he is essentially loyal and public-spirited, and he is held in uniform confidence and esteem in the county which has no long represented his home. He has never aspired to public office, but accords an intelligent and stanch support' to the cause of the Republican party. He is affiliated with the Grange and takes much interest in its work. On Feb. 20, 1876, Mr. Joughin was united in marriage to Miss Nora Graham, daughter of Harvey and Alta (Van Arsdale) Graham, of Hillsdale county. Her parents were born in. Licking county, Ohio, whence they removed to Fulton county, that state, from which section they came to Michigan and took up their abode in Hillsdale county, where the father was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1896. His widow still resides in that county. Mr. and Mrs. Joughin became the parents of five children, all of whom are living except Lida, the first-born; John is a farmer of this county ; and Ernest, Libby and Stella remain at the parental home. Arthur H. Gillis stands prominent as one of the progressive farmers of the younger generation in Seneca township, -where he has a well improved landed estate of 112 acres, and here he is held in that high regard which is always begotten of personal integrity and other worthy attributes of character. He was born in Chesterfield township, Fulton county, Ohio, Feb. i, 1879, and is the only child of Darwin E. and Harriet (Drake) Gillis. His father was educated in the public schools of Morenci, Lenawee county, which is not far distant from his old home in Ohio, as a portion of the paternal farm was located in the adjoining township of Seneca, L enawee county. In 18go he purchased the old homestead. moved upon it in 1892, and to the improvement and management of the same he thereafter devoted his attention until his death, which occurred June 7, 1900. In February, 1892. as before stated. he removed to Seneca township, where he erected the present fine residence and large barns. The homestead is now owned by the subject of this sketch, and with him remains his mother, who is a devoted member of the Baptist church, as was also her honored husband. The latter was a staunch Republican in politics, and while residing on the Ohio portion of his homestead he served as school director in Chesterfield township. He was affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also the Foresters, and he was a man who ever commanded unqualified confidence and esteem. Arthur H. Gillis was afforded the advantages of the public schools of Morenci, where he completed the curriculum of the high school. Thereafter he assisted in the work of his father's farm until his marriage, after which he was similarly engaged on the farm of his father-in-law for a period of three years, at the expiration of which he returned to the old homestead farm of seventy acres, lying partly in Seneca township, this county, and partly in Chesterfield township, Fulton county, Ohio. In Igo8 he purchased the farm from his mother, and he has added to the area of the original place' by the purchase of an adjoining tract of forty acres,. so that he now has a well improved and model farm of 112 acres, devoted to general agriculture, dairying and stock-growing: Mr. Gillis is a Republican in his political allegiance, is affiliated with the lodges of the Knights of Pythias and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, in Morenci, and both he and his wife hold membership in the Baptist church. Mrs. Gillis is also affiliated with the Daughters of Rebekah and the Pythian Sisters. Dec. 22, x897, witnessed the marriage of Mr. Gillis to Miss Lulu M. Gee, daughter of Warren M. and Martha (Kennedy) Gee, both of whom were born in Seneca township, this county. I-Ier father has long held precedence as one of the substantial farmers of this section, and his homestead is situated in Chesterfield township, Fulton county, Ohio, adjoining Seneca township, Lenawee county. Mrs. Gee died Aug. 13, 1904. 'Mr. and Mrs. Gillis have a winsome daughter, Leah Belle, who was born Aug. 30, 1900. Thomas Haley, who is the proprietor of a very valuable farm of 320 acres in Hudson township where he was born, is a representative of the second generation of the family in Lenawee county and is one of the popular and influential citizens of his native township. He was born on the old Haley homestead, of which his present farm is a part Aug. 2, 1837, and is a son of William and Mary (Russell) Haley, natives of the Emerald Isle, County Kildare, province of Leinster. The parents bade farewell to their native land in their more youthful years and set sail for the shores of the New World,, landing in New York City, and after having resided in the Empire State for ,ome time migrated west to, this state, in 1835, locating on 12'0 acres of wild land in the township of Hudson, where two years later Thomas, of this review, first beheld the light of day. Here this worthy pioneer couple resided continuously during the remainder of their 'days, the father's death occurring Dec. 25, 1858, and his widow surviving until April 30, 1883. The subject of this record was one of seven children, the others being: William and John, residents of Hudson; Mary, who lives in Toledo, Ohio, and Eliza, Tressa, and Joseph, deceased. Politically the father was ever a loyal adherent of the Democracy and was a member of the Roman Catholic church. Thomas Haley, to whom this sketch is dedicated, acquired his educational training in the district schools.of his native township, dividing his early days between the schoolroom and his parents' farm, and thus obtained a practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits at the same time that he was receiving his schooling. He continued to aid his father in conducting the affairs of the place until the death of the latter, when h'e purchased eighty acres of the old homestead, which, with 24o acres subsequently acquired, constitutes the acreage of his present productive and well cultivated farmstead. He has erected a handsome, modern residence and the large, commodious barns and outbuildings which today adorn the place. Mr. Haley is widely known as a progressive, scientific farmer and is held in high regard throughout the community. Though he is a loyal and public-spirited citizen, he has never aspired to a public career, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to his private business affairs, though for upwards of fifteen years he has been an active member of the school board in the district wherein he has always resided and for several years he has capably discharged the duties of the office of pathmaster in his native township. In April, 1866, he was happily united in matrimony to Miss Ellen Pease, of Hudson, of which marital union have been born four children, namely: Agnes, now the wife of N.. B. Hayes, of Adrian; Leo, who is cashier of the Exchange Bank, in the village of Clayton, this county; and Eliza and Katherine, who make their home on the parental farmstead. Both politically and religiously Mr. Haley clings to the faith of his honored father, rendering allegiance to the Democratic party and the Roman Catholic church.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com