History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 82



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
William H. Merritt is entitled to consideration in this publication as one of the representative citizens of Seneca township, and he has been a resident of Lenawee county for more than thirty years, within which period he has amply proved worthy of the strong hold which he has upon popular confidence and esteem. Mr. Merritt was born in Conway township, Livingston county, Michigan, Sept. 29, 1849, and is a son of Stephen and Deborah (Van Dyke) Merritt, the former of whom was born in Seneca county, New York, and the latter in the province of Ontario, Canada. Stephen Merritt came to Michigan in 1847 and located in Livingston county, where he reclaimed a farm of eighty acres, upon which both he and his wife passed the residue of their lives. He died on Feb. 21, 1875, and her death occurred July 5, 1862. They were consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics he was a stanch Republican. They became the parents of five children : Hulda is deceased; Hannah J. is the widow of Ezra Herman ; Chestney C. is deceased ; Sally Ann is the widow of Nelson H. Bovee, and William H. is the youngest of the number. William H. Merritt was reared to maturity in Livingston county, this state, where 11e gained his early educational training in the district schools, and he continued to assist in the work of his father's farm until r869, when, at the age of twenty years, he went to the West. He passed about one year in Kansas and Indian Territory, and then returned to Michigan, where he was employed in a saw mill for a number of years. In 1876 he came to Lenawee county, and during the first six years of his residence' here he followed the painter's trade, after which he rented a farm in Seneca township for two years. At the expiration of that time he bought a small farm in Fairfield township, and two years later he disposed of that property and purchased a tract of eighty acres in section 34, Seneca township, which he still retains. The greater portion of this land was still covered with timber at the time he came into possession of the property, and he not only reclaimed the major part to cultivation, but made all the improvements in the way of buildings. Within the past year Mr. Merritt has leased this farm and pug= chased twenty acres in section 23, near by, where. he now resides. He has been operating a threshing machine for the past seven years, and continues that occupation in the proper season. He has been unremitting in his energy and close application to his farming and other interests, and through his well directed efforts has not only developed a good property, but he has also gained for himself an enviable position of independence. While engaged in farming he raised the various cereals and other products best adapted to the soil and climate, and in the growing of live stock for shipping purposes he also found a source of profit. In politics Mr. Merritt is found arrayed as a loyal supporter of the principles and policies for which the Republican party stands sponsor, and he served for several years as pathmaster. He has shown much interest in the providing of the best possible educational advantages in his township and was a member of the board of trustees of his school district for the long'period of seventeen years. He is identified with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, and the Fraternal Order of Eagles. On April 29, 1877, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Merritt to Miss Susan Collins, daughter of Edwin and Roxina (Sargent) Collins, of Seneca township, and concerning the children of this happy union, the following brief data are incorporated in conclusion of this sketch : Pearl is the wife of Hugh Godfrey, of Perry, Mich. ; Roscoe assists his father in the work and management of the home farm; Myrtie is the wife of Bradley Deen, of Fairfield township; E. C. is in the employ of his father; Iva Belle is the wife of Harry Bell, of Seneca township; Hazel is the wife of Joseph Hill, of Morenci, this county; and Rena and Anna remain at the parental home.



Albert E. Miller, who is established in the practice of his profession in the village of Morenci, is one of the representative lawyers of the younger generation in Lenawee county, where his ability and his devotion to the work of his chosen vocation have not failed of definite appreciation and recognition, since he has gained professional prestige and a secure place in the confidence and esteem of the community. Albert Eiias Miller was born at Denison, Crawford county, Iowa, Aug. I2, 1876, and is a son of Chauncey D. and Marcia T. (Butler) Miller, the former of whom was born in the state of New York and the latter in Morenci, Lenawee county, Michigan. Chauncey Douglas Miller was a lad of eight years of age at the time of his parents' removal from New York to the famous Western Reserve in Ohio. Four years later they removed to Chesterfield, that state, in which locality he event-ually became an independent farmer. In i86o, Chauncey D. Miller came to Morenci, where he found employment in the woolen mills and later in a saw mill, and where he continued to reside until 1871, when he made the trip with team and wagon from this place to Western Iowa, where he eventually became the owner of an excellent farm, and where he continued to be actively identified with agricultural pursuits until 1896, when he took tip his residence in the village of Denison, that state, where he has since owned and operated a feed mill, doing a very extensive business. His wife was one of the popular teachers in the, public schools of Seneca and Medina townships, Lenawee county, when a young woman, and her father, Flavel 1T. 'Butler, was one of the earliest settlers in Seneca township, being postmaster and recruiting officer during the Civil war. He was influential in public affairs and was honored as a sterling pioneer. Chauncey D. Miller is a staunch Republican in political adherency and in Iowa has served in practically all township offices. He and his wife are zealous members of the Baptist church, in which he is, a deacon. Concerning their children the following brief data are entered : Ethel T. remains at the parental home; Arthur tier. is a successful farmer in Iowa; Albert E. is the immediate subject of this sketch; and Edward F. is employed as appropriations clerk in the United States navy yards at Mare island, Cal. Albert E. Miller was afforded the best of educational advantages in his youth. After completing the curriculum of the public schools, including the high school, at Denison, Iowa, he entered Denison Normal College, where he continued his studies for some time, after which he completed a course in a local business college. He was later matriculated in the law department of the University of Iowa, at Iowa City, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 19oq and from which he received his well earned degree of Bachelor of Laws. In the same year he was admitted to practice before the Supreme court of his native state. After leaving the law school Mr. Miller was employed for a short time as traveling representative for the -firm of H. 1-1. Hildreth & Company, extensive commission merchants of New York City. Thereafter he was engaged as assistant traveling superintendent for the S. H. Bowman Lumber Company, of Minneapolis, Minn., until January, 1907, when he came to Morenci and entered upon the practice of the profession for which he had amply fortified himself. Here his novitiate was of brief duration, for he soon proved his powers as an able trial lawyer and conservative counsel, and he has gained a representative clientage in his chosen field of endeavor, while his personal popularity is of the most unequivocal order. By special motion he was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of South Dakota, in 19o6, and the same distinction was ;ranted him by the Supreme Court of Michigan, in January; 1907. In 1896-7 he was an instructor in the Denison Normal School, and he proved successful in the pedagogic profession, though he had no desire to adopt the same as a permanent vocation. A close student of the questions and issues of the hour, Mr.. Miller takes a deep interest in public affairs and gives a staunch allegiance to the cause of the Republican party. In his native town of Denison, Iowa, he served for some time as city clerk. He is a zealous member of the Methodist Episcopal church in Morenci, in which he is treasurer of the Epworth League and secretary of the Sunday school. He is a member of the Lenawee County Bar Association and is affiliated with the Knights of Pythias, the Improved Order of Red Men, and the Independent Order of Good Templars. Huron D. Pegg has long been known as one of the representative business men of the village of Morenci, where he is now living virtually retired, and he is a native of Lenawee county, where his father settled nearly a half-century ago. Mr. Pegg was born in the city of Adrian, this county, July II, 185o, and is a son of Samuel and Amanda C. (Chichester) Pegg. Samuel Pegg came to this county in 1845 and took up his residence in Adrian, which was then a small village. There he erected a tannery, in the operation of which he continued for many years, after which he. purchased a farm in Dover township, about 1888. On this homestead he passed the remainder of his life, which was one of signal honor and usefulness, and he was known as one of the substantial business men and sterling citizens of this section of the state. His widow still resides in Dover township. He was a Republican in politics and held membership in the Methodist Episcopal church, in which his wife has long been a zealous worker. Huron D. Pegg, the immediate subject of this review, is indebted to the public schools of the village of Morenci for his early educational discipline, and after leaving school he assisted in the work of his father's tannery until 1864, when he went to Topeka, Kan., where he remained for a few months. After his return to Morenci he was employed in a grocery store for about eighteen months, at the expiration of which he secured a clerical position in the drug store of Allen Beach, in whose employ he continued about twelve years. In 1876 he became associated with David Saulsbury in the purchase of the stock and business of Mr. Beach, and the enterprise was continued under the firm name of Pegg & Saulsbury until 1893, when Mr. Pegg purchased his partner's interest. He continued in sole control of the business until 1899, when he sold the same and opened a new stock in another location. This.latter establishment he conducted until Aug. I, 19o8, when he sold the flourishing enterprise to the present firm of Johnson & Wolcott. He has since lived retired from active business connections, and rests secure in the confidence and esteem of the community in which he gained an unassailable reputation as an honorable and straight-forward business man and publicspirited citizen. His political support is given to the Republican party, and he has served as a member of the village council and also as village treasurer. He and his wife are zealous members of the Congregational church in Morenci, and he is a member of its board of trustees. In the Masonic fraternity he is affiliated withi the lodge and chapter in Morenci, the council of Royal and Select Masters in Hudson, and the Adrian Commandery, Knights Templars. He also holds membership in the Morenci Lodge of the Knights of Pythias and the Adrian Lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, besides being a member of the Michigan Retail Druggists' Association. On April io, 1878, Mr. Pegg was united in marriage to Miss Hattie E. Flemming, daughter of William and Elsie Lucretia (Beach) Flemming, of Rome Center, Lenawee county. Her parents were both natives of the state of New York, and after coming to Michigan Mr. Flemming gave his attention principally to agricultural pursuits. He was a loyal soldier in the Civil war, in which he was a member of a regiment of Michigan infantry, and both he and his wife passed the closing years of their lives in Morenci. Mr. and Mrs. Pegg have no children.



Moses Merillat, who for many years followed the profession of surveyor, but is known as a prosperous farmer of Adrian township, was born in Fredericksburg, Ohio, June 1, 1867. His parents were natives of France, where the father, Joseph Merillat, was born, in 1817, and the mother, Katherine (Cutnaugh) Merillat, a few years later. This couple came to America in 1842, and from New York city went to Fredericksburg, Ohio, where they made their home and the father worked at his trade of tailoring. In this Ohio village the elder Merillats spent the remainder of their days and finally passed away and were buried in this, the country of their adoption. Their son, now the subject of this review, was educated in the schools of this Ohio town and began his work in life as an assistant to a surveyor, which profession he mastered and followed for some time. For several years his work was with railway coinpanics, and with his brother engineers he surveyed the route of the Findlay & Fort Wayne railroad and also the Detroit, Toledo Ironton. For the past ten years his attention has been engaged and directed in the line of agriculture and his farm of seventy acres in Adrian township is given his entire time. His early training in that exact science of engineering has made of him a careful and painstaking man and his farm and surroundings have been developed to the highest degree. , Politically he is a member of the Democratic party, and is always interested in the welfare of his country. On Sept. 23, 1898, our subject led to the altar Miss Anna Pebbles, daughter of John and 'Nancy (Powell) Pebbles, who are residents of Seneca township. Three children are the fruits of this union, and are named Hazel, born June 23, 1899; Georgia, born in September, 19oi, and Dorothy, born in October, 1903.



John J. Marsh, the efficient superintendent of the Blissfield Milling Company, Was born in Portage county, Ohio, of old En-lish stock, Aug. IS, 1853, the son of John and Mary (Priece) Marslr, both natives of England. His father, who was a miller in his native country. vas a competent millwright and attended to the mechanical work of his mill while engaged in that business in England. Desiring a wider field for his activities he sailed for the United States With his family, and after spending ninety-nine days on the ocean they landed in New York in 1850. They came West and first located in Portage county, Ohio, where the father immediately engaged in the milling business. From there he removed to Ionia, thence to Norville, and then to Petersburg, Monroe county, where he built a flour mill, which he operated for three years. At the expiration of this period he disposed of his interest in this mill for one in Adrian township, Lenawee county, and he conducted this mill until his death in 1869. Mrs. Marsh, who stirvived her husband, resided in Adrian township until her death, which occurred in December, 1907. Seven children were born to these parents. Ambrey is deceased; Anna lives on a farm in . Adrian township; Joseph died in Tecumseh; Albert H. is a farmer and resides in Adrian township; Mrs. Ella (Marsh) Harvey is deceased; Roderick is deceased, and John is the subject of this review. John J. Marsh received the rudiments of a practical education in the public schools of Lenawee county. He was but sixteen years old when his father died, and it became necessary for him to leave school and assist his brother in the mill. Two years later he went to Adrian with his brother, Albert H., to open and operate for other parties a mill that had been closed for some time. For five years they managed this establishment and their marked success encouraged them to go into the milling business for themselves. They obtained possession of the "Old Red Mill," which they operated for a period of five years. They built up a good patronage during this time and then exchanged interests for the farm in Adrian township, which they still own. Albert TI-, who resides upon and has the management of this farm, married Ida Brazee, of Adrian township, daughter of Henry and Maria (McConnell) Brazee, the former of whom is deceased and the latter is living at Port Huron. Mr. and MIrs. Albert II. Marsh have two children, Gladys and R. V. John J. Marsh removed to Blissfield, April 11, 1897, to accept the position of superintendent of the Blissfield Milling Company, and for more than twelve years he has held his present position. He is progressive in his ideas and is one of the foremost manufacturers in his line in Lenawee county.



Ralph P. Clement, of Madison township, whose experience in commercial life has been valuable to him as a farmer, was born in the city of Adrian, Dec. 25, 1878. Hi s parents are Walter and Violetta (Tlinkley) Clement, the father having been born in Vermont, in 1841, and the mother is a native of Ohio, born in 1844. At an early age, Mr. Clement, Sr., went from his Vermont home and located in Illinois, but remained there only a short time, and in 1867 he moved into Michigan and settled on a farm in Madison township, this county. He continued to reside there four years and then removed to Adrian and at the present time is living at No. 34 Dennis street. To this couple were born three children: Flmer H., born Oct. 9, 1869, died in August, 1899; Florence A. (Wright), born April 24, 1874, is living in the city of Adrian, and Ralph P., their youngest child, is the subject of this sketch. Our subject received his education at the grammar and high schools of Adrian, and following his graduation in the last named institution he supplemented this training at the Raisin Valley Seminary. He later secured a position with the Page Fence Company, at WValkerville. His brother, Elmer, at that time, was secretary and treasurer of that company, and our subject retained this position for two years. He then resigned and became an employe of the Western Union Telegraph Company at its Adrian office, and afterward went to Cleveland and later to Wheeling for the same company. He has had some railroad experience in telegraphy and for a time worked for the Wabash railway at Rich Valley, Ind. From this last position he returned to Adrian and entered the employ of the Church Manufacturing Company, later engaging with the Bond Post Company, with which concern he continued till 19o5. At that time he bought the farm he is now residing on, which consists of 240 acres and is known as the "Old Higby" farm, having the reputation of being one of the best farms in Madison township. There are four large barns and three silos on the place, and a fine dwelling house and a tenant house. The farm is well fenced and drained and all the conveniences necessary to modern farming have been installed. Mr. Clement is engaged in the line of general farming and keeps a large number of cows and other stock. He'was married, Jan. ig, 11904, to Miss Beatrice A. Seger. daughter of Dr. F. R. and Margaret (Sweet) Seger, of Adrian. Both Dr. and Mrs. Seger were born in the city of Adrian and the former's medical education was obtained at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. He practiced his profession all his life in Adrian and died in November, 11893. Mrs. Seger is living at their home west of the city and her history is a subject of review in another section of this work. Mrs. Clement was born June 4, x886, and to our subject and wife have been born two children: Perry S., born March 112, 19o6, and Paul F., horn Jan. 16, 119o8. Both parents are members of the Baptist church at Adrian and live on rural route No. 5, from Adrian. George U. Smith.--More than half a century has passed since the time when there was founded in Lenawee county the family of which the subject of this review is an honored representative. The family has been one of prominence in connection with the business and civic upbuilding of the county, and has ever stood exponent of sterling manhood and gentle -and gracious womanhood. George U. Smith, who is now secretary and manager of the Tecumseh Electric Light Company, is recognized as one of the distinctively representative business men of the attractive little city in which the major portion of his life has been passed. He was born at Macon, this county, Oct. 27, 118,6o, a son of Henry and Christina Smith, both natives of Germany. The father was born in Nesendorf, kingdom of Bavaria, Nov. 2, 1830, and the mother was born in the same kingdom on Dec. 22, 1834. When seventeen years of age, after the death of his father, Henry Smith came with his mother, four brothers and one sister to America, and the family home was established in New York city, where occurred the death of the only sister. The five brothers were Michael, George, John, Henry and Adam, and all became residents of Lenawee county, Michigan, except Adam. The devoted and cherished mother, Mrs. Eva Margaret Smith, accompanied her sons to Michigan, and the closing years of her long and useful life were passed in Lenawee county. All of her children have now passed to the life eternal. Henry Smith, father of the subject of this review, was one of the argonauts of California, to which state he made his way across the plains in 1850, remaining there for some time and then returning to New York city. In 1857 he left the national metropolis and set forth for Michigan. He took up his residence in Macon township, Lenawee county, in March of that year, and here it was given him to attain a position of much prominence and influence as a citizen and business man, while he so ordered his course as to ever command the unqualified confidence and regard of his fellowmen. Upon his arrival in the county he turned his attention to agricultural pursuits, and developed a valuable farm in Macon township, where he became the owner of a large tract of land. In 1868 he removed with his family to Tecumseh, which was then a small village, and he contributed in large measure to the advancement and material upbuilding of the town, in which his interest continued unflagging until his death. Here he became associated with his brother George in the furniture business, and he also purchased the Curtis drug store, which he conducted for some time. The two brothers also bought a cabinet shop, which was soon afterward destroyed by fire, and upon the site they erected a paper-mill in 1869. Henry Smith was the dominating factor in building up the prosperous business there established, and he continued to be actively identified with the manufacture of paper until his demise, which occurred on Nov. 25, 1899. He was a man of fine business talent and was very successful in connection with the various enterprises in which he became concerned. His name was a synonym for integrity and honor, and he exerted a beneficient influence in the various relations of his busy and useful career. In politics he was originally a Democrat, but he ultimately transferred his allegiance to the Republican party, of whose principles and policies he thereafter continued a stanch advocate. Though never ambitious for public office, he had a-high sense of his civic responsibilities and he served for fourteen years as a member of the common council of Tecumseh, giving to the city the benefit of his mature judgment and his keen business acumen. He and his wife were devoted members of the Lutheran church and were active in the religious and social life of the community. Their marriage was solemnized in New York city on Aug. 24, 1856. They became the parents of four children, all of whom are living, namely: Elizabeth, who resides in Tecumseh; George U., the immediate subject of this sketch; Emma, wife of Frederick Kloffenstein, of Tecumseh; and Margaret, the wife of L. B. Schneider, of the same place. George U. Smith passed his childhood days upon the homestead farm in Macon township, and his early education was secured in the district schools and the public schools of Tecumseh,- to which place his parents removed when he was eight years of age. He completed a course in the high school, then became associated with his father's business operations, in connection with which he gained a valuable experience and developed into a business man -of much initiative power and of progressive ideas. He was allied. with his father in the conduct of the paper manufacturing business until the death of the latter. In 1902 he became one of the principal stockholders in the organization of 'the present Tecumseh Electric Light Company, which secured the property and franchises of the existing company, and of which he is now secretary and manager. He devotes the major portion of his time and attention to the affairs of this corporation, though he has other important capitalistic interests in the city, besides being the owner of valuable realty in the county. Mr. Smith is unwavering in his allegience to the cause of the Democratic party, and has served several terms as a member of the village council. He holds membership in the Lutheran church. He and his wife are prominent in the social life of the community, and their pleasant home is a center of gracious hospitality. In the year i88i Mr. Smith was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Fielder, daughter of Samuel and Sarah Fielder, now residents of the state of Kansas. Mr. and Mrs. Smith have four children-Edna, Henry, Ralph and Donald. Peter T. Bogart, whose life has been spent on the farm which marks the place of his birth-that date being Oct. 7, 1846-is one of the men whose thrift and enterprise have triumphed over the difficulties of life, and he is now reaping the reward of years well spent. His paternal grandparents, John Bogart and wife, emigrated from Holland about 1780, and they were the parents of five sons-Enoch, Peter, Thomas, Cornelius, and Isaac-all of whom came west, and all are deceased. The parents of Peter T. Bogart were Peter and Sylvia (Cudaback) Bogart, the father born in a house next door to the celebrated Trinity Church in New York City, in April, 1799, and the mother, descended from French parents, was born in Essex county New Jersey Sept. 6, 18o5. This couple was married in New York, Sept. 9, 1824, and came to Michigan in 1836, hailing first lived on a farm near Wilson, in Niagara county, New York. Their arrival in Michigan was at a time when very little of the lands were cultivated and their life was that of the pioneer who blazes a trail in the virgin forests, clears his land and makes civilization possible in the new countries. Their lives were spent in Lenawee county, but both have passed away, the father dying Sept. 30, 188o, and the mother in February, 1884. Six chil-dren were born to there, as follows: Roxanna, who became the wife of Francis Graves, and died Aug. 6, 19o0; Katherine, widow of James Harvey Hitchcock, and who resides in Toledo with her son; John A., who was born in 1835 and died at Gerry, Okla., Feb. 3, 1gog; Adelia, now the wife of William Gray, of Toledo, her first husband having been John Saviers, who was a business man of Adrian, and the junior partner in the firm of Hitchcock & Saviers; Peter T., the subject of this review; and Adelaide, who is now the wife of Dwight Snedeker, who resides in Adrian and works at the mason's trade. Our subject attended school at the local schools of his native township and, during his seventeenth year, the first work done by him away from hone was shearing sheep for a neighbor. Having= the natural gifts of a mechanic, the carpenter's trade was mastered by him and two houses were erected before it was his lot to work with any of the journeymen of that trade. These natural gifts were supplemented with experience, and twenty-five years of his life have been spent in that calling. His residence has always been on the old homestead, and in the latter years his trade has been given up and all of his time is devoted to the farm, part of his attention being devoted to the cultivation of celery. His farm consists of 12o acres and he engages in general farming and stock-raising, at the present time having twenty-seven head of cattle. For a short period he was engaged in cheese-making, but he found it difficult to obtain a sufficient supply of milk, as his location was too near the city, where the demand for milk was great and the price prohibitive. Socially, he is a member of the Masonic lodge at Adrian, No. 103, and politically his sympathies and assistance are given to the Democratic party; and by that party he has been elected to the offices of township clerk and highway commissioner. In 1874 he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah Burckhart, who was a native of New York, born near Lockport, May 18, 1855. She was the daughter of Christopher and Kate (Tompkins) Burckhart, the former of whom was born in 1820, in Saxony, Germany, and migrated to New York state when about twenty years old. He was educated in Germany and was an apprenticed miller, having served his seven years in that capacity. Mrs. Burckhart vas born in Niagara county, New York, in 1832, and they were married April 6, 1854. Mrs. Burckhart died Feb. 27, r868, and her husband Feb. 6, 1892. Mrs. Bogart was an only child. To our subject and his wife one child, William Perry,.has been born. This son's birth date is June 15, 1883, and his home is with his parents, where he assists his father in the management and operation of the farm. His education was acquired, at the local schools and later a business course was followed at Brown's University in Adrian. The younger Bogart is a member of the Grange and at one time was a member of the Uniform Rank of the Maccabees.



Earl W. Slater, one of the younger generation of prosperous farmers of Adrian township, was born on the Slater homestead in that township, Dec. 14, 1876. His ancestors were of the pioneer settlers of this section and arc remembered for their part in establishing order on their own premises and assisting in the affairs of the community in general, bringing the best that the section had into prominence. The father of our subject is Walter Slater, who was born Feb. 7, 1849, and at the present time he follows farming on his Adrian township farm. The elder Slater has been a resident of this county all his life and is numbered among the progressive citizens of his locality in his chosen calling, and his. quiet disposition and sincerity have won for him a host of friends. He has lived at his present place of residence since he was three years old, and he received his education in the district schools of his vicinity. Politically he gives allegiance to the Democratic party and he and his wife are members of North Adrian Grange, No. 721. The father of Walter Slater was William Slater, who was born Jan. 12, 1823, in Essex county, New Jersey, and came to Michigan with his parents at the age of nine years. He was married, Feb. 14, 1847, to Mercy M. Hill, daughter of Asa and Rebecca (Wilson) Hill, natives of Massachusetts, and this venerable lady, at the age of eighty years, makes her home with her son and grandson. The husband died Jan. 14, 1900. Of their two children, Walter is the father of the subject of this review, and Rebecca Cordelia is the wife of Frank Schiebel and resides in Adrian township. Mrs. Emily (Hardy) Slater, mother of our subject, was born in Franklin township, this county, and is of a family of four children, as follows Anna, who became the wife of James Osborne and is now deceased; Harrison married Tilda Slater; Benjamin married Almeda Morten, now deceased; and Emily is the mother, of the subject. Earl W. Slater received his education at the district schools of his local township, chose a life of agriculture, and at the present time is located on the old homestead with his father. No better indication of the prosperity of this county is needed than to enumerate the many instances of the youths starting in life and succeeding their parents on the old farms, the lure and attraction of city life not holding sufficient inducements and profits to beguile them from the sure returns from agriculture in this part of the country. Politically, Mr. Slater is a member of the Democratic party, an enthusiastic follower of its leaders and a believer in its platforms. His aspirations have never been as an office seeker, preferring the quiet of home life to the sometime bitterness of party strife. Although he is not affiliated with any particular church, his views on such matters are very liberal and his contributions to church support are numerous and well directed. Socially, he is a member of the Ancient Order of the Gleaners. Our subject has never married.



John White, a prominent farmer and citizen of Hudson township, was born in that township Aug. 20, 1859. He is descended from John and Annie (Kusic) White, both of whom were born in Ireland, in County Kildare, his father in 1832 and his mother in 1834. His father came to this country in 18S5 and located in Hudson township. There he purchased a farm and followed agricultural pursuits for the rest of his life. He lived until 1865, and his widow survives him and resides in Hudson. He was a Democrat in politics and a member of the Catholic church. There were six children born to them: Michael, deceased; Arthur H., who resides at Hudson; Catherine, deceased; John, Jr., subject of this sketch; Mary, who resides in Hudson ; and Elizabeth, deceased. John White, our subject, enjoyed the educational advantages of his district, attended the schools of his locality and began his manhood's career by working on various farms by the month. His savings during that time were accumulating for a period of eight years, and he finally bought forty acres of land, and not long thereafter added thirty-seven acres more. He continued to occupy this tract for some time and finally traded it for his present farm of sixty acres. Some of this was uncleared and was broken by the plow for the first time by Mr. White. All of the land has been extensively drained and tiled and all is now under a well managed plan of cultivation and is highly productive. He follows a course of general farming and is also engaged in the dairy branch, including milch cows and market stock. Politically Mr. White, like so many good citizens of Irish descent, is affiliated with the Democratic party and has held various offices, performing the duties thereof in a manner that reflected credit upon himself and gave eminent satis-faction to all concerned. He is now serving his third year as township treasurer, and he has been the incumbent of the-position of justice of the peace for years. He has also served for several years as a member of the school board, and has occupied the position of treasurer of that body during his entire term of service. He is a member of the Catholic church at Hudson, and fraternally he affiliates with the local tent of the Maccabees. On Nov. 30, 1879, Mr. White was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth M. Johnson, of Dover township, daughter of Capron J. and Melissa S. Johnson, both of whom were born in Orleans county, New York, the father in 1829, and the mother in 1830. Capron J. Johnson came to this county and located in Dover township, where he purchased a farm of forty acres and followed agricultural pursuits the remainder of his life. He lived until 1862, and his widow survived him until 1895, continuing to reside in Dover township. He was a Republican in politics, and he and his wife were both members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Eight children were born of their union: George L., deceased; Oscar U., who resides in Deerfield; Marie L., deceased; Anna A., who resides in Hudson; Elizabeth M., the wife of the subject of this review; E. Melissa, deceased; Emma J., who resides in Coldwater, and one that died in infancy. To Mr. and Mrs. White there have been born four children: Bertram L., who is living at home; Clara Belle, wife of Irving Bridge, of Pittsford township, Hillsdale county; Valta Agnes, wife. of Arthur A. Barrett, residing in Hudson township, and Frank M., who is at home.



Daniel C. Miner, for the past fourteen years a popular agriculturist and business man of the township of Medina, this county, is a native of Hillsdale county, Michigan, born Aug. 20, 1874, at Pittsford. His father, George Miner, was born in Germany, April 25, 1834, and came to Lenawee county in 1842, locating in Riga, where he was foreman of a section on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern railway, until 1864, when he resigned his position to enter the Union army. At the close of the war he returned to Riga and followed'farming until his death, April 19, 1895. He was a Repfiblican in politics and both he and his wife were members of the United Brethren church. His wife,-Caroline (Beamer) Miner, was also a native of Germany, born June 16, 1842, and died Aug. 21, 1894. There were ten children in the family, of whom the following mention is made: Nellie is the wife of Henry Hecker, a practical farmer of Riga township ; Etta is the wife of George Rising, a hay-buyer of Fayette, Ohio; she was educated at Hillsdale College, and taught school several years in the Pittsford Hie-h School in 1-Iillsdale count v. Fannie is the wife of Frank Mansfield, a farmer in Medina township. Maude is the wife of B. A. Snyder, a real-estate dealer in the state of Washington; she taught school several years in Hillsdale county. W. F. Miner married Miss Flora Bailey, of Medina; he is a farmer and general business man, and deals in various enter-prises, being highly successful. E. R. Miner is a farmer of Riga, and is married to Miss Alta Thompson, also of Riga. Martha and Catherine died in infancy. George died at the age of twenty-one. He went to McPherson, Kan., and there took up a government claim and shortly afterward was called to preach in the United Brethren church at that place, spending one year in the ministry. This was followed by two years of work as a traveling evangelist throughout Kansas and Colorado. In the fall of 1888 he was married to Miss Josie Watson, of Denver, Col., and after two months of service in Arkansas in revival work he was suddenly taken sick and died in October, 1888, while in the height of usefulness. He was exceptionally talented, being both a singer and an orator, and during his ministry converted over r,ooo souls. His widow resides at Denver, Col. Daniel C._ Miner, who is the subject of this review, received his education in the public schools of Pittsford, and then for a few years was engaged in farming on his father's place in Medina. He afterward purchased a farm of eighty-four and one-half acres in that township, and there he has continued to conduct a general farming and dairying business, and for a period of about twelve years he was also employed as a buyer of hay. Politically Mr. Miner is affiliated with the Republican party and is a supporter of the Church of the United Brethren, in which he was for a number of years superintendent of the Sababth school and teacher of a class. On April 5, 1904, he was united in matrimony to Miss Lydia Iffland, daughter of George and Catherine (Knapp) Iffland, of Monroe county, this state. Mr. and Mrs. Iffland were both natives of Lenawee county, where he was engaged in farming and was an active member of the Democratic party. He passed away in the year 1893, and 'his wife is now a resident of Ogden township, this county. The subject of this sketch and wife have no children.



Charles Carroll Hyde, M. D., a prominent physician and surgeon of the village of Addison, is a native of the old Green Mountain State. He was born on Isle La Mott, Lake Champlain, one .of the three children of James T. and Sarah A. (Palmer) Hyde, the other two being Dr. James Merrill Hyde, of Iowa, and Mrs. George R. Lewis, of Milwaukee. He is a lineal descendant of William Hyde, who, with several others, in i66o, founded the town of Norwich, Conn., and among whose descendants are many distinguished names. The late ex-President Cleveland was a member of the same family, which included also a long list of illustrious names of statesmen and scholars, among them being Matthew Griswold, LL. D., chief justice and governor of Connecticut; Roger Griswold, LL. D., judge of supreme court and governor of Connecticut; Maj.Gen. Samuel Parsons, of the Revolution; John Milton Niles, United States senator and postmaster-general; Edward D. Griffin, D. D., president of Williams College; Samuel D. Hubbard, LL. D., postmaster-general; Edward Robinson, LL. D., of New York, a distinguished Oriental scholar; Charles J. McCurdy, minister to Austria and judge of the superior court of Connecticut; 'and Carroll A. Page, of Hyde Park, Vt., a former governor of that commonwealth and now junior United States senator from the state. The subject of this sketch began his early education in a private school on the historic spot where President Taft recently officiated in its tri-century celebration, on the shore of Lake Champlain. Later a tutor gave him his first classical instruction, and when the family moved to Plainwell, Allegan county, Michigan, his elementary education was continued in the public schools of that place, and he was a member of the first class graduated from its high school. Having resolved to adopt the medical profession as his life's vocation, he matriculated in the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, with his brother, in the fall of 1874, and he was graduated in June, 1876, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. The ensuing year Prof. Frothingham, of the university engaged him to assist him in his work, which gave him exceptional advantages in the pursuit of post-graduate studies, and in the following year he located in the village of Rollin, where for five years he was successfully engaged in' the practice of his profession. In 1882 he removed to the village of Addison, where from that time to this he has consecutively pursued the practice of medicine. His abilities as a physician and surgeon are known far and wide and he has attained to pronounced success and prestige, and today he enjoys an extensive and lucrative practice. He was married in 1892 to Miss Jennie Hodges, and they have two sons: Carroll C. and J. Merrill, promising young men in their, teens, both pursuing their studies in the public schools at Addison. The Doctor is affiliated with the Masonic fraternity, and both he and Mrs. Hyde are charter members of the Order of the Eastern Star in Addison. Dr. Hyde also belongs to the Lenawee County, the Michigan and the American Medical societies, and is a member of the Congregational church at Addison. For several years he has capably filled the position of health officer of the village, but has never aspired to a public career. In his political proclivities he is a Republican, but reserves the privilege of acting independently when his judgment i dictates such a course. He is universally recognized as a loyal public-spirited citizen, and his kindly, courteous demeanor has won him hosts of friends in every walk of life.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com