History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 98



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Frederick A. Saunders, of Addison, whose business activities have done much for his local village, was born in Palmyra, Wayne county, New York, Nov. 4, 1834. His parents were also natives of the same town, the father, Lorenzo Saunders, born June 11, 181T, and the mother; Celestia (Tabor) Saunders, in x816. The elder Saunders was a carpenter and joiner by trade and the parents located at Wheatland, Hillsdale county, in 1851. There a farm was acquired, being fairly well cleared and improved, and it was made the home of the Saunders family for fifteen years. In July, 1859, our subject's mother passed away, and in 1861 Lorenzo Saunders married Mrs. Lavina Cane, widow of A. M. Cane, and five years later moved to Reading, in the same county, where he operated ,a farm and worked at his trade till his death, in the fall of r888, his second wife surviving him about four years. The elder Saunders was of the Republican faith and had held the offices of supervisor and township treasurer. By his first union Lorenzo Saunders had four children, as follows: Frederick A., subject of this review; Harriet F., now deceased, was the wife of Leonard Bailey, of Wheatland; Mary, deceased, was Mrs. Henry Locy, of Harper, Kan.; and Albert, one time a resident of Reading, is deceased. Our subject's education was obtained at the schools of his New York home district, and his first work was with his father on the old home farm. After three years of his majority had thus been spent, he purchased a farm that adjoined his father's and began to operate the same, also engaging in the business of threshing. Not long after this he built the first cider mill in that community and still engages in this business in its season. In this latter industry his customers came from far and near and the venture was very profitable. Believing that a lumber mill could be successfully conducted in his locality, he then erected a plant for manufacturing lumber and equipped it with turning lathes and saws, and shortly afterward he equipped this plant with the first steam engine in his vicinity. This business was conducted in Wheatland till 1886, and during that year our subject removed to Addison and a large mill was erected there for the same purpose. This was successfully operated for seven years, but in 1893 a disastrous fire, entailing a loss of $10,000, destroyed the factory. Undaunted by this vast loss, a new mill was immediately planned and built and today a general lumber mill is operated, doing all work necessary in turning out complete lines of building materials and other lumber products. Mr. Saunders was a pioneer in his district regarding the use of the telephone, and in 1884, before the Bell patents had expired, was manufacturing a vibratory telephone in his own factory. On account of the opposition it was necessary to install his own system in Addison, but in course of time his 'phones were connected with all outside lines, and this business was continued till 19o6, when he sold out the telephone business and for a time engaged in electric light wiring. At the present time his chief occupation is building boats and launches, and equipping them with engines, etc. Mr. Saunder's busy life has given him no time for public offices, but he is nevertheless one of the stanch supporters of the Republican party, and a firm believer in its doctrines. On Oct. 2, 1858, he was married to Miss Louisa Bailey, a native of Orleans county, New York, born June 29, 1833. Her parents were Abel S. and Abigail (Cary) Bailey, the father a native of Connecticut, born in 1798, and the mother of New York, born in 1804. The wife's parents were among the original pioneers of Michigan and settled here in 1835, locating- in section 26, of Wheatland township, Hillsdale county. Their farm of i6o acres was a wilderness, and their labors and privations were great. Deer hides paid their taxes and ox-teams were their means of conveyance, their markets being Tecumseh and Monroe. Abel Bailey was a man of importance in his day, kept up to date with wide reading of important events, and was an authority among the pioneers on all general subjects. His death occurred June 30, 1888, his wife having died May 19, 1875. On April 29, 1889, occurred the death of Louisa (Bailey) Saunders, and Frederick A. Saunders was married a second time, May 14, 189o, to Mrs. Jane A. Haynes, of Hudson, whose death occurred June 22, 1go8. To the first mar-riage two children were born-Adelia and Norman A. The daughter is now the wife of M. M. Whitcher, and resides in Addison, Mr. Whitcher being a retired farmer. They have one child, Louis, in the government service, -he having started the first mail route for rural delivery from Addison. Norman A. Saunders was born May 24, i86o, and is associated in business with the father. In addition to his connection with his father's enterprises, this son is in business with Lawrence Lawrenson, in the manufacture of brick and tile, and he also owns the farm which his maternal grandfather reclaimed from the wilderness. On Oct. 9, 1883, he was married to Miss Alta Voorhes, daughter of Marvin and Alcinda (Lamb) Voorhes, of Hudson, but the young wife passed away on Nov. 15, of the same year. On Jan. 20, 1890, he was married'to Miss Arvilla Robbins, daughter of Daniel and Laura ( Crandall) Robbins, of Rollin township, and to them have been born four children, as follows: Neva, born April 8, 1892; Fred A., born March 19, 1895; Norval A., born July 29, 1897; and Dayton, born April 4, 1905. The attractive home of this interesting family is pleasantly located in the village of Addison, and Mr. and Mrs. Saunders are members of the order of the Maccabees.



John_ K. Binns, a successful contractor and builder, now residing near Devil's Lake, was born in the village of Addison, March 25, 1870. His parents were natives of Lenawee county, the father having been born in 1845, at Addison., and the mother's "birthplace was in Rollin township, near the village of Addison, in 1848. During the latter part of the father's life he was a minister of the Gospel, and preached at various places. His early education was to fit him for the profession of the law, but on account of his father's failing health, it was necessary for him to return from Raisin Valley Seminary, where he had entered, and take up the work on the farm. Thus his law studies were neglected, but later in life this preliminary education was utilized to great purpose in his work for the Master, who presides not over local courts, but whose judgment over lives is final. When our subject's father returned from the seminary, his attention was engrossed in farm work, and his first church was at Holland, Mich., where he preached for two years. From Holland he went to Shiawassee county, and his next church was at Hickory Corners, northwest of Grand Rapids. His health becoming impaired, he then returned to the old homestead, where his death occurred in 1901. The homestead farm his parents secured direct from the government is now the property of his wife. To. Reverend and Mrs. Binns were born four children, as follows: John K. is the eldest; Louisa, born in 1876, is now prin-cipal of a business college in Kenosha, Wis. ; Rose P., born Dec. 24, 1880, is the wife of A. B. Branch, a blacksmith, of Moscow, in I-iillsdale county; and Paul P., born in 1884, married Nellie Slack and is yard foreman of the Lake Shore railroad at Lansing. Our subject attended the schools of Addison and remained at home till his sixteenth year, then worked on one of the neighboring farms for two years. The next two years were spent as clerk in a store at Somerset, and then employment was sought and obtained at a store in Jackson, where he clerked for three years. Returning to Addison, he was employed at the store of H. E. Howd, who also operated other stores, and at various times our subject was in charge of some one of these branches. His work with this concern was only during certain seasons and plenty of time was found to serve his township in the office of township clerk, he having been elected to that office about this time. During this period the trade of carpenter was also acquired by him, and since 1899 his home has been at Devil's Lake and the occupation of builder has engaged his attention. His residence at that point is modern in every respect and so pleasantly located that our subject has expressed his intention to pass his days there. His building contracts necessitate at times employment of numbers of men and he also engages in general contracting. Ever since his majority was reached, our subject has held public office, seventeen years of that time having been justice of the peace; he also has served as supervisor, and at one time was clerk of Woodstock township, as before stated. In politics he is a Democrat, and an ardent worker for that party. On Oct: 21, 1894, was celebrated his union with Miss Hattie Terry, of Woodstock township, who was born May 21, 1873, daughter of Hiram and Louisa (Cary) Terry, the former a native of New York state, and the mother, of Michigan. Hiram Cary's father was one of the early settlers of this county, and owned a farm near Devil's Lake, where he lived till the time of his retirement to the city of Jackson, and since the death of his wife he has made his home with a son in Morley, Mich. He is now in his ninety-first year. Mrs. Binns' father was ,also a farmer, but is now living a retired life near Devil's Lake, conveniently near the residence of our subject. To the wife's parents were born six children, as follows : George, residing at Cement City, and engineer for the Portland Cement Company; Effie, wife of Jerry Lucas, factory foreman, of Jackson; Hattie, wife of our. subject; Peter, deceased; Fred, residing at Onsted, and engineer of the electric light plant; and Sarah, wife of Leroy Edwards, a farmer in Cambridge township. To Mr. and Mrs. Binns three children have been born, namely: Glenn, born Nov. 23, 1895; George, born March to, 1897; and Ruhl, born March 17, 1898; all living at home with their parents.



John C. Rogers, now retired, and living in the village of Addison, whose farm life was successful and whose taste for order and appearance was carried out in beautifying his old farm's surroundings, is a native of the Empire State, born in Saratoga county, June 4, 1833, the son of James L. and Charrila (Curtis) Rogers. His father was born in the same county, July 31, 1789, and his mother was a native of Connecticut, born June 6, 1797. Early in life the father followed the occupation of cloth-dresser, but ,vas crowded out of this business by advancing machinery and large factories, and later in life he took up agricultural pursuits and followed farming in Saratoga county, continuing there until 1845. Coming to Michigan in that year, his first location was in St. Joseph county, -and there he remained but a short time. From St. Joseph county he came to Lenawee and located in Woodstock township, where he purchased a farm. Later this tract of land was sold and the "John Iverson" farm was purchased, in 1854, and this was his home for the remainder of his days. This farm was one of the oldest farms in this section, and after the father's death, in 1881, it became the property of our subject and his brothers. James L. Rogers attained the age of eighty-two and was in full possession of his faculties at the time of his death. His wife survived him about five years, dying in March, 1887, after reaching the remarkable age- of ninety years. Our subject's paternal grandfather was born in Ireland and came to this country in his eighth year, locating in Saratoga county, New York, where he married, his wife being a native of that county. To James and Charrila Rogers were born seven children, the names of whom are here set forth in the order of their seniority: Sarah, born Oct. 6, 1818, died in Jackson county at the age of eighty-four years; Alma, born Feb. ro, 1822, died in New Jersey in 1897; James, born Dec. 20, 1825; Elizabeth, born in No-vember, 1828, died in 1894; John C. was the next in order of birth; Marian, born Oct. 26, 1836, is the wife of Burr Tuthill, a retired farmer, and resides at Clark's Lake, and Frederick, born March 15, 1841, resides in Somerset township, Hillsdale county, where he follows farming. When James L. Rogers came to Michigan he possessed very little wealth, but with the able assistance of his sons the farm was bought and paid for, and now it has descended to the boys who made a home for the parents possible in the new country. Part of this original homestead was farmed by our subject. In r86o he had sixty acres of land, and it was on this parcel the improvements were made, the care he. took of the buildings and surroundings making his farm one of the beautiful country places of the county. From i86o our subject remained on this farm till 18go, and then he moved into Addison and erected a home, where he has since resided. His home in the village has received the same care that was given to the upkeep of the farm and his location is one of the most desirable in the place. His house is built of cement, and its neat structure adds beauty to the village. Retaining ownership in the farm, he rents and leads a quiet life. In politics Mr. Rogers is a member of the Democratic party and has held various offices, serving as justice of the peace, for sixteen years. Socially, he has been a member of the Masonic lodge since 1864. Starting in life with practically no means, his frugality and industry have earned for him a competence, and his last days can be spent in contemplation of a life, busy and fruitful, his sunset time being cheered by the esteem of his fellowmen. On Sept. 22, 1859, was celebrated his marriage to Miss Frances S. Farnsworth, born in Somerset township, Hillsdale county, Aug. 13, 1838. She was the slaughter of Dr. Charles and Cordelia (Bush) Farnsworth, the former a native of Connecticut, who came to Michigan in the early '3os. Dr. Farnsworth was one of the leaders among the pioneers of Hillsdale county, and his reputation was well known. Not only did he excel in the practice of medicine, but he was a capable preacher, and often filled the local pulpit during the absence of the regular pastor. Both Dr. and Mrs. Farnsworth gave up this life in 1851. To Mr., and Mrs. Rogers three children were born, namely : Nettie, who was born in July, 1862, became the wife of Chester Binns, a merchant of Addison; Florence, born Aug. 28, 1864, became the wife of Albert Lombard, and. died in 18go, Mr. Lombard now residing in California; and Artur, born July 4, 1873, died Aug. 5, 1884. His first wife having died, in 1902, Mr. Rogers was married to Ada Hodges, daughter of Josiah Hodges,- a resident of Rollin township. This lady was formerly a prominent and popular teacher in Lenawee county. She died in 19o6. Fred Nutten, one of the successful young business men of Addison and at the present time deputy sheriff of Lenawee county, was born in Moscow, Mich., July 6, 1869. His father was John B. Nutten, born in Italy, N. Y., March 9, 1847, and his mother, Marie Antoinette (Crane) Nutten, was born in this state, at Madison, Nov. 16, 1845. In his third year our subject's father was brought to Michigan by his parents, and their location was at Moscow. The grandfather, Jonathan Nutten, was a native of Yates county, New York, born in 1814, and the grandmother was of the same place, born in 1818. They resided on the same farm from 1849 till their deaths, the grandfather passing away in 18go, and his wife preceding him several years. John B. Nutten continued with his parents till his nineteenth year, when he enlisted in the United States army and went as far as Detroit, but he was there taken from theservice by his parents, and he remained in Moscow till twenty years of age. In this year he married and bought a farm of 16o acres and he resided on this tract till 1905, during the time accumulating a total of 460 acres. In 1905, 300 acres were disposed of, and he moved to North Adams, where he purchased a home; and in 1907 he sold the remainder of his farm land and also the house in town and moved to Alamo, where he resided one year. A farm was then purchased at Birmingham, north of Detroit, and there he makes his home and operates his land with the assistance of hired help. One year of his.life was spent along the shore of the Atlantic, having gone there in 1886 to recuperate his health. To John -Nutten and wife were born seven children: Albert, born on March 18, 1867, principal of the Kalamazoo schools for seventeen years; Fred, our subject; Wesley L., born April 6, 1875, a, lawyer of Detroit; May and Maud (twins), born Dec. 25, 1878, the former the wife of John Ransom, a farmer in Alamo, and Maud is the wife of William Hughes, a dairyman, of Janesville, Wis. ; Gertrude, born May 15, 1883, is the wife of C. A. Rose, who operates a general store at Marshall, Mich. ; and John B., Jr., born Oct. 8, 1885, is a policeman -in Detroit. Fred Nutten attended the school of North Adams, and resided with his father till twenty years of age. His first operation on his own behalf was renting a farm, which was continued for two years, and then our subject engaged in the threshing business for four years. Isis outfit was then sold and a farm of sixty acres was purchased, the land being near Bowen, Mich. This land never became his home, however, as he went into the hotel business about the time of its purchase. Quitting the hotel business after a short period, he went on the road as a traveling salesman for the Freeman Mercantile Company, of Grand Rapids, and he was thus employed for two years. His next business was with his father-in-law, inn the livery business at Addison, and this occupies his time today. This firm enjoys a large patronage and its business is profitable. In politics, Mr. Nutten is an ardent worker and strong supporter of the Republican party, and at the present time is holding the office of deputy sheriff of this county. Socially he is a member of the Masonic lodge of North Adams, and he is one of the leading men of the thriving village of Addison. On May 29, 1907, he was united in the holy bonds of matrimony with Miss Katherine Cooley, daughter of Joseph and Rebecca (Every) Cooley, the former being the subject of a separate sketch in this volume.



Charles H. Thiell, for many years a prosperous and influential farmer of the township of Woodstock, and now living retired in the village of Addison, is a native of Hillsdale county, Michigan, having been born in the township of Litchfield, July 24, 1854. He is a son of George and Charlott '(Mallory) Thiell, natives of New York state, who migrated to this commonwealth in 1852, locating on a farm of forty acres in the above named township, where two years later Charles H., of this record, first beheld the light of day. In 1864 the family removed to this county, the father purchasing an extensive farm in Woodstock township, upon which he continued to reside up to the time of his demise, Feb. 26, 1903. His worthy and highly regarded wife passed into eternity ten years before, the mother of four children; Eva, the wife of Cyrus Hopewell, a barber in San Jose, Ill.; Martha and Ida, both deceased; and Charles H., of this review. The last named was reared on the old homestead and became inured to the sturdy discipline of rural life at an early age. He received his education in the common schools of Woodstock township and for four terms was a student in the high school at Addison. He continued to assist his parents about the old farmstead until 1875, when, upon attaining to his legal majority, he assumed complete charge of the place, of which he eventually be-came the owner. He was consecutively identified with agricultural pursuits up to tjie spring of 1907, when he leased this well cultivated and modernly equipped farm property, now composed of 200 acres of productive soil, and removed to the village of Addison, where previously he had erected a handsome and commodious residence, which' is pleasingly situated on a site consisting of four large and valuable lots, and here Mr. and Mrs. Thiell and an only child still reside. In politics the subject of this sketch is a staunch adherent of the Republican party, and though at the present time he occupies the office of justice of the peace, he has never aspired to a public career, preferring to devote his entire time and attention to his own business affairs. In fraternal circles he is prominently identified with the Free and Accepted Masons, being a member of the lodge in Cement City, which he joined while residing on the old homestead; and in the palmy days of the order of the Patrons of Husbandry he *as master of the Woodstock Grange. On July 21, 1875, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Carrie Barrick, who was born in Rollin township, this county, Oct. 18, 1857, a daughter of William and Jemima (Hess) Barrick, both natives of New York state. William Barrick and wife migrated to the Wolverine State in a very early day and settled on a farm in the township of Rollin, adjoining the village of Addison, where they resided until his death, in 1878. Mrs Barrick continued to make her home in the vicinity of Addison during the remainder of her days, and she passed to the rest eternal in January, 19o8, admired and re-spected by the entire community in which she had so long resided. Four children were born to this worthy couple: Hiram, who died in infancy; Phoebe, the wife of George Boley, a farmer in the town-ship of Wheatland, Hillsdale county; Eli, who is now a resident of Jackson, Mich., and an upholsterer by occupation; and Carrie, the wife of the subject of this record, and the youngest of the children. The happy marital union of Mr. Thiell and wife has resulted in the birth of one child-Gertrude Edna=born No. 24, 188o, and she makes her home with her parents. She is known throughout the community as a musician of pronounced ability, and devotes a portion of her time to the giving of music lessons.



Joseph Cooley, a successful business man of Addison, was born in Canada, near Montreal, March 27, 1843. His parents, David and Elizabeth (Hibberd) Cooley, were natives _.of.that country. In September, 1843, the parents came to the "States" and first located at Cleveland, Ohio, where they spent the winter. In the spring of 11844 they moved to a farm near Newburg, one of the suburbs of Cleveland, and there they resided for three years. At the termination of that period a farm was purchased near Berea, in Lorain county, Ohio. This farm contained i6o acres, and our subject's father brought the same under a fine state of cultivation, but he sold out in 1862 and removed to Michigan, buying a farm in Blissfield township, this county, where he lived for some few years, and then sold and located in Kent county, where another farm was acquired. This was his home till he returned to Blissfield township, and he there resided with a brother of our subject until his death, Feb. 21, 1891, his wife having passed away four months previous. Our subject is one of a family of twelve children, eight of whom are living. Joseph Cooley attended school at Berea, Ohio; and finished his education at the schools of Blissfield. He remained with his parents till about the fall of 1872, assisting in the operation of the farm, then worked at the carpenter's trade in and about Blissfield for a period of ten years, and in 1883 he came to Addison and has since made that village his home. His first work there was at farming and teaming, and in 11889 he started in the livery business. He began this business with two horses and when he sold out seventeen years later, he had a flourishing trade and seventeen head of horses. After selling the livery he retired for a time, but later he formed a partnership with his son-in-law. Fred Nutten, and engaged in the same business, the partnership continuing to this date. Mr. Cooley lives in a commodious house of sixteen rooms, all modern and improved, and in addition has a plat of ground containing nine lots, while his livery barn and buildings cover half a block in the village. The business is carefully-attended to and stock and equipment are well kept and in fine condition. Socially, Mr. Cooley is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and also the auxiliary lodge of the Rebekahs. Politically he is a member of the Democratic party and his church is the Roman Catholic. Public office has been held by him, he having served as street commissioner, and for several years he was constable of Woodstock township. On NOV. 27, 1865, he was married to Josephine Lenew, a native of Canada, whose death occurred Nov. 25, 1872. Four children were born of this union, as follows Ida, the wife of Stephen Osborne, living on a farm in Rome township; Lucy, wife of John Kelly, a farmer of Raceda Springs; Mattie, the wife of Fred Van Vleet, a rural mail carrier at Addison; and Peter, who is engaged in the dray business at Addison. In 1883, our subject was married to Mrs. Rebecca Morley, of Woodstock township, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth (Terrell) Every, both -natives of Pennsylvania. Her father was a farmer who came to this county when a boy and lived his life within a few miles of Addison, his death occurring in 1896 and that of his wife in 1904. Mrs. Cooley's first husband was Amos Morley, who died in 1879, and two children were born of that union:. Joseph Morley, a blacksmith of Flint; and Syrenus Morley, also a blacksmith and residing at Dayton, Ohio. To Joseph and Rebecca Cooley two children were born : Katherine, born May 5, 1884, the wife of Fred Nutten, of Addison, who is associated with his father-in-law in the livery business and also deputy sheriff of Lenawee county; and Sanford, twin brother of Katherine, is married to Mabel Marshall, of Indianapolis, and is now employed by his father. Mrs. Cooley is a member of the Rebekahs and also of the Home Missionary Society.



Robert L. Rogers, who died at his home in the village of Onsted, Sept. 21, 19o8, was a worthy scion of one of the honored pioneer families of Lenawee county, and he left upon the annals of this section a definite and beneficent impress. Here he passed the major portion of his long and useful life, which was ordered upon the loftiest plane of integrity and honor, so that in passing to the Life eternal he left the heritage of a name unsullied and one which will be held in lasting esteem by all who came within the sphere of his influence. ` Robert L. Rogers was born in Steuben county, New York, Feb. 3, 1831, and the place of his nativity was the homestead farm in Poultney township. He was a soil of Ira and Nancy (Tomer) Rogers, both natives of the old Empire State of the Union. Ira Rogers was born in Onondaga county, and was a son of Clark and,Rebecca (Babcock) Rogers, the former of whom was born in New England, where the family was founded in the Colonial days, and the latter was a native of England. -They continued to reside in New York state until their deaths. Ira Rogers was reared and educated in his native state, and there he learned the blacksmith trade in his youth. In 1837 he immigrated to Michigan, which was admitted to statehood in that year, and, he made Lenawee county his destination. He secured a tract of government land in section 35, Cambridge township, where he reclaimed a farm from the virgin forest. In 1869 he sold this property and removed to Rome township, where he became the owner of a farm of iio acres, to the improvement and cultivation of which he gave his attention during the residue of his active career. His death occurred on this homestead, Oct. 23, 1886. He was a man of strong individuality and sterling character and was prominent and influential as a citizen, both in the pioneer days and in the later years of advanced prosperity. He united with the Republican party at the time of its organization, and he was called upon to serve in various township offices. His first wife died in 1847, and they hecame the parents of eight children: Rebecca, Robert L., Adelsa, William C., John A., Wesley, Emily, and Joel. All of the children survived their mother, and of the number two are living. John A. was a valiant soldier in the Civil war, in which he was captain of Company K, Twelfth Tennessee infantry, and he was killed in action, June 14, 1864. After the death of his first wife Ira Rogers married her sister, Mrs. Clarissa Ross, who had eight children by her former marriage, and she lived only a short time after her marriage to Mr. Rogers. For his third wife he married Mrs. Delilah (Gullick) Hathaway, who died several years before he was summoned to the life eternal. Robert L. Rogers, subject of this memoir, was a child of about six years at the time of the family removal to Lenawee county, and his boyhood days were passed on the pioneer farm, in whose work he early began to render assistance, and his educational advantages were those afforded , in the primitive schools of Cambridge and Rome townships. As a youth he learned the trade of blacksmith, and he followed the same to a greater or less extent for a period of fifteen years, during two of which, 1856-57, he was located in Marshall county, Iowa. In Lenawee county his shop was established at Springville, in Cambridge township. In 1867 he retired from the work of his trade as a regular vocation and turned his attention to agricultural pursuits. In connection with the great basic art noted it was his to attain marked success, and he became the owner of one of the fine farm properties of the county. His homestead was located in sections 24 and 25, Cambridge township, and comprised 285 acres. He brought his farm up to the highest standard of productiveness and made the best of improvements on the same. His son, Ira J., purchased Io5 acres of the homestead, and the remaining portion was held by the father, who also- purchased, in 19o5, his father's old home farm in Rome township. Mr. Rogers devoted the remainder of his life to the supervision of his extensive farming iinterests, but from 1903 until his death he maintained his home in the village of Ousted, where he purchased the beautiful residence property now occupied by his widow, on the east side of Main street. Mr. Rogers ever wielded an influence for good in all the relations of life, and he was naturally a leader in public affairs in his township. His political allegiance was given to the Democratic party, in whose cause he rendered effective service, and he served many years as supervisor of Cambridge township, and was also incumbent of the offices of township treasurer and justice of the peace. He was affiliated with the Masonic order, and was 'a member and generous supporter of the Methodist Episcopal church at Springville. His kindliness and helpfulness gained for him inviolable friendships, and his death was deeply mourned by all who had known the man and had recognition of his noble attributes of character. His widow still resides in Onsted and is known as a zealous church-worker, besides being a leader in the social life of the community. She is a woman of gracious refinement and her beautiful home i1 a center of generous hospitality. She holds membership in the Onsted Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star. "On Sept. 28, I853, in Erie county, Pennsylvania, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Rogers to Miss Susan Rogers, who was born in that county, Sept. 1, 1833, and who is a daughter of Jacob and Susanna (Brown) Rogers, the former of whom was born in the state of New York and the latter in Massachusetts. In 1832 Jacob Rogers took up a tract of government land in Elk Creek township, Erie county, Pennsylvania, and there he developed a valuable farm. Both he and his wife remained on this homestead until their deaths. He passed away March ig, 1865, at the age of sixty-nine years, and her death occurred Feb. ig, 1976, at the age of eighty-three years. They became the parents of five children, of whom the. youngest is Mrs. Susan Rogers, widow of the subject of this memoir. Nathan C., the eldest, married Miss -Sylvia Davis and they still reside in Erie county, Pennsylvania; Lucy died in infancy; Ira died after attaining maturity; and Reuben, who married Miss Polly Spaulding, is' a resident of Venango county, Pennsylvania. In conclusion is entered a brief record concerning the children of Robert L. and Susan (Rogers) Rogers: Mary Florence is the wife of J. H. Smith, who is vice-president of the Tecumseh State Savings Bank. Ira J., who is the owner of a portion of the old homestead farm, is one of the representative farmers of Cambridge township, though he resides in the village of Tecumseh. He married Miss Caroline E. Lee, and they became the parents of three children-Lena, who is a teacher. in the public schools of Tecumseh; Leda, who is de-ceased; and Lynn, who resides at the parental home and is a musician by vocation. Bert, second son of the subject of this review, is a successful farmer in Rome township. He married Miss Cora Van Sickles, of Seneca, this county. Winifred I. is the wife of Herbert S. Waring, of Tecumseh, and they have two children-Roger LeBaron and Lester Robert-the former of whom is a student in Alma College, this state. Cecil Ernest, who has charge of the farm estate -of his honored father in Cambridge township, married Miss Bessie Vanderpool, and they have one child, Thelma.



William T. Rennison, the popular and enterprising furniture dealer and undertaker, of Addison, is one of the younger business men of Lenawee county, both as regards age and length of time engaged in commercial pursuits, but the high standing which he has attained and the extensive patronage which is being accorded him is a sufficient augury of his success in his chosen field of industry. Mr. Rennison is a native of Michigan, having been born in Kalamazoo county, Feb. ig, 1881. His father, Henry Rennison, was a native of Great Britain, having first beheld the light of day in the county of Hull, England, July 27, 1851, and the mother, Ada (Wixon) Rennison, was born in Kalamazoo county, this state, July 5, 1862. When but two years of age Henry Rennison came to America with his parents, landing in New York city. The family located in Brooklyn, N. Y., where they resided continuously for seventeen years, at the expiration of which, in 1870, they migrated to this state, settling on a farm in Kalamazoo county, where they lived only a short time, removing soon to Galesburg, in that county, where Henry Rennison and his father, the grandfather of William T., of this record, embarked in. the meat business, in which they continued- until about 1885, when they sold out and for the three years following were successfully engaged in the harness business in Galesburg. In j888 they removed to Hillsdale, Mich., where they again embarked in the harness business, in which Henry Rennison remained until his death, in 189o, when his father assumed complete charge of the business, in which he continued until igoi, when he disposed of it and returned to Galesburg, where he is today living retired at the advanced age of eighty-one. The widow of Henry Rennison survived and is now a resident of Hillsdale. William T., of this review, is one of two children, the other of whom -Charles-was born Sept. 20, 1882, and died March 14, 1902. The immediate subject of this sketch acquired his educational training in the public schols of Hillsdale county and commenced his independent career at the age of seventeen by entering the employ of C. E. Singer, a furniture dealer and undertaker at Hillsdale, where he continued for four years, until 1902, when he became a clerk in a grocery store there.. In the spring of 1903 he removed to the village of Britton, this county, and launched forth in the furniture and undertaking business on his own account. There he continued until January, igo6, when he disposed of his business and removed to Addison, where he purchased an establishment of a similar nature, which he still operates. Today he carries a complete stock of household furniture and furnishings, including carpets, rugs, picture frames, curtains, etc., and he and his wife are both now licensed embalmers. He enjoys an extensive and lucrative patronage, and though he is but twenty-eight years of age and has been a resident of Addison less than four years, he is today recognized as one of the thorough, substantial business men of the village. In his political affiliations he is a staunch adherent of the Republican party, was for two years the incumbent of the office of town clerk, and for a similar period of time he served as a member of the village board. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Addison, and also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Feilows and the Knights of the Maccabees. His wife is a member of the Daughters of Rebekah. On Nov. 25, 1902, Mr. Rennison was married to Miss Vie Stone, who was born in Hillsdale, Dec. 1, 1879, a daughter of John and Anna (Beevers) Stone, the former a native of Hillsdale county and the latter of Lenawee county. John Stone was born Sept. 12, 1840, and his wife Jan. 10, 1852. He has followed agricultural pursuits during all his days, making a specialty of fruit-growing and the nursery business. For many years he has conducted the "Hillsdale Nursery," in Hillsdale county, one of the leading establishments of its kind in'this section of the state. His parents, natives of England, immigrated 'to this country in a very early day, coming directly to Hillsdale county, where the father purchased a tract of government land, a portion of which today comprises the acreage of the "Hillsdale Nursery." The parents continued to reside on this land during the remainder of their days. Mrs. Rennison is one of three children, of whom the others are Guy and Alta. Guy was born Feb. 10, 1876, and is today making his home with his parents in Hillsdale county. Alta, born Sept. 12, 1889, is the wife of William Wiseman, a machinist, of Lansing, Mich.



Lawrence Lawrenson, a careful business man and master craftsman in the art of brick and tile-making, is a native of Denmark, born in that country, April 3, '1858. His parents were John Lawrenson and Anna (Ipson) Lawrenson, both born in Denmark, the father in 1829 and the mother in 1827. The elder Lawrenson was a manufacturer of brick and tile products and followed that calling all the days of his life, his death taking place in r899, and our subject's mother passed away in May, 1904. The absence of sufficient records is all that stands in the way of giving to the Danish people proper credit for the discovery of this continent, and later one of their people revolutionized modern naval warfare by building the Monitor, the vessel that met the Merrimac at Hampton Roads and probably saved the Union in the days of the Civil war. From such a race our subject sprung, and no better citizen is found in this country than the Danish-American. His parents spent their days in their native country, and had six children, and our subject's mother, at the time of her marriage to John Lawrenson, was a widow with two children. Our subject was the second child of his mother's second marriage, and his brothers and sisters of the full blood were : Martina, deceased; Havie, living in Denmark; and Hans, Freda, and Carl Wilhelm, all deceased. The halfbrother and sister are Dennis P. Johnson, now residing in Tennessee, and Martina Johnson, deceased. The parents were of the Lutheran faith and of that church our subject early became a member. His education was obtained at the school in Noxkow, Denmark, and he began his life work with his father, engaging in the clay business till his coming to America, in 1885. Handicapped as he was on account of the strange land and language, and being un-able to speak English when he arrived his first employment was as a laborer in a lumber mill at Stanton, Mich., and four years later he went to Everett, Osceola county, where he entered into partnership with his half brother, in the manufacture of brick and tile, also operating a shingle mill. Four years were thus spent, but the business did- not prove profitable and the next three years were spent in working for others. In 1896, our subject located in Addison, and his first work in that town was in the grist mill operated by Mr. Smith. Continuing there for a year and a half, he then started the Addison junction brick yard, in partnership with Mr. Lewis. In 1903 he sold to his partner and purchascd.the farm on which he now resides, having exchanged his town property in Addison as part payment. At the present time he is interested with Norman A. Saunders in developing a clay plant on the latter's farm, and these two gentlemen expect to engage in the manufacture of brick and tile, our subject looking after the manufacturing end of the business. In that art he is thoroughly skilled and the new concern has every assurance of success. In addition to his clay interests he operates the farm near Addison, and is more than -pleased with the country of his adoption. His success in this country is through his unaided efforts, his thrift and economy acquiring for him a competence, and his future prospects are bright. Having become a naturalized citizen of this government, his political faith is with the Republican party, but his life has been too busy to aspire to any public office. On Sept. 9, 11894, he was married to Miss Hattie Names, daughter of Joseph and Maria Names, of Leslie, Mich. Mrs. Lawrenson was born Nov. 24, 1869, and her parents were natives of New York state. The parents were married in New York, and after a period spent along the Erie canal, came to Michigan and settled on a farm in Ingham county, where the father died in 1883. After the death of her husband, Mrs. Names became the wife of Dennis P. Johnson, half-brother to our subject, and Mrs. Johnson passed away in 1907. Mr. and Mrs. Lawrenson have no. 'children, but" have adopted one child, Sophia Christenson (Lawrenson), who was born Nov. 16, 1888, and is now Mrs. Roy Maloney, of Woodstock township. Fred B. Kline, senior member of the firm of the Central Supply 'Company, of Addison, now serving'his second term as state senator -from the Nineteenth Senatorial district of Michigan, for four years county clerk of Lenawee county, and prominent in fraternal organizations, is one of Lenawee's native sons who has attained to -pronounced success and prestige in commercial, political and fra-ternal circles, entirely through his own thrift and enterprise. He first beheld the light of day in the village of Addison, Feb. 1, 1865, a son of William N. and Sarah F. (Brown) Kline, the former a native of the old Buckeye State, born in Milan, Erie county, Ohio, and the latter a native of Rome township, this county. William N. Kline was reared and educated in his native state and learned the tinner's trade at an early age. In 1858 he came to Michigan, settling in Adrian, where for about one year he was in the employ of the Buck Hardware Company, and then he removed to Addison, -where he secured employment in the general store and tin-shop of G. Lewis. When, two years later, the latter sold out to the Smith brothers, William Kline continued in the employ of the new pro prietors, and about the year 1870 he launched forth in the hardware business on his own account. It required great industry and perse verance to attain to success in the commercial world in those days, .but being a man of exceptional ability and possessed of business tact and shrewdness, William. N. Kline soon placed 'the enterprise on a sound and profitable basis; and, advancing step by step with the development of the country, his business rapidly attained to a leading position among the establishments in that section of the county. He continued to conduct the business until he was stricken with a serious illness and became an invalid, when he sold it to a, man named Smiley. William N. Kline passed to his reward in i88o and his widow is now living in Addison. The subject of this sketch was one of four children, among whom he ranked second in point of age, the others being William N., born Feb. 14, 1863, who is now engaged in the hardware business in Redlands, Cal.; Mary T. born Aug. 17, 1867, the wife of E. C. Rogers, one of Fred B. Kline's business associates; and Myrna, born Nov. 20, 1877, who is unmarried and lives with the mother. Fred B. Kline acquired his educational training in the public schools of Addison, but when fifteen years old he was obliged to leave school and seek his own livelihood, because of the death of his father. For about two years he was employed in the tin-shop connected with the hardware store, -formerly owned by his honored father, and there he became familiar with the tinner's trade. When seventeen years of age he journeyed westward to the Pacific coast, visiting Portland, Ore., and various other of the more important cities of that region, in the meanwhile supporting himself by working as a journeyman tinsmith. He remained in the West about two years and then returned to his native village, where some months later he embarked in the hardware business in partnership with Alfred K. Dean, in the store formerly conducted by the father of Senator Kline. The remarkable growth and volume of business soon demanded greater facilities, and in 1903 was erected the commodious, modernly equipped structure, 63xioo feet in dimensions, embracing two full stories and a spacious basement, at the present time occupied by the firm. In the same year E. C. Rogers, brother-in-law of Mr. Kline and junior member of the present firm, became associated in the business. Today a. complete stock of hardware, farm and household supplies, and agricultural implements is carried and the establishment is universally recognized as one of the thorough, substantial commercial institutions of the county. Senator Kline is also financially interested in the Addison State Savings Bank, of which he is a member of the board of directors and vice-president, and in these capacities,. as in all others in which his busy career has placed him, he brings to the discharge of his duties capability and honesty, indispensable attributes in the large affairs of life. In politics he renders allegiance to the Republican party and for several years has officiated as. president of the Lenawee County McKinley Club, the largest and most important political organization in the county. Though not an office-seeker in the ordinary understanding of that term, he has occupied positions of public trust, among them that of county clerk of Lenawee county, from 1900 to 1964, acid in the fall of i9o6 hewas chosen by the electors of Lenawee and Monroe counties as a member of the Michigan state senate, being re-elected in the autumn of 1908. In his fraternal affiliations Senator Kline is admirably associated, being a member of the Masonic fraternity, Addison blue lodge; the Royal Arch chapter of the city of Hudson; the Adrian Commandery, Knights Templar; and both Mr. Kline and his wife belong to the Eastern Star. He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Adrian lodge; the Knights of the Maccabees, and the Knights of Pythias, at Addison. On March 2, 1895, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Kline to Miss Nora M. Strang, who was born in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, Michigan, in November, 1872, a daughter of Harrison and Emma (Ash) Strang, natives of Michigan, the former having been born in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, and the latter in the township of Rollin, this county. Harrison Strang was reared and educated in his native county, where he successfully and profitably followed agricultural pursuits until 1897, when he became a resident of Woodstock township, Lenawee county, where he and Mrs. Strang still reside. To the happy marital union of Mr. and Mrs. Kline have been born three children: Mary, born No. 6, 190o; Helen, born June 17, 1904; and Richard, born Dec. 2, 1906, died April 7, 1909.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com