History of Lenawee County, Michigan - Book 2, Page 99



                                  Previous Page                    Next Page


MEMOIRS OF LENAWEE COUNTY BIOGRAPHICAL - CONTINUED
Alonzo Lewis, a gallant soldier in the great Civil war, for many years a prosperous farmer,of Jackson and Lenawee counties, and today a successful dealer in agricultural implements at Addison, is one of the oldest citizens of this county now actively engaged in commercial pursuits. He is a native of Jackson county, this state, having first beheld the light of day at Napoleon, April 1o, 1844, a son of Thomas J. and Dolly M. (Derby) Lewis, natives of New York state, the former of whom was born in 1803 and the latter in 1804. Thomas J. Lewis, a farmer by occupation during all of his days, migrated to this state in an early day, locating on a tract of land in Columbia township, Jackson county, upon which he resided continuously until his death, Dec. 9, 1863, aged sixty years. His beloved wife, the mother of the immediate subject of this review, received her summons to the life everlasting in 1845, aged forty-one years. The marital union of this worthy couple was blessed by the birth of ten children: Edwin G. is the oldesteighty-two years-and is a resident of Grand Rapids, this state; Benjamin C., at the advanced age of eighty-one years, is a resident of Jackson county, Michigan; Thomas J. Jr., resides at Jackson, Mich.; where he lives retired at the age of seventy-eight; Tsaac J.. in his seventy-seventh year is living on a farm in South Dakota; Elisha is deceased; James is a resident of Liberty township, Jackson county; John passed away in infancy; Lydia Ann, deceased, became the wife of Harlow Gallop, for many years a.resident of Nepoleon, Jackson county; Alonzo, of this review, is the youngest of the children, and another child expired in early infancy. The immediate subject-of this record was left motherless when but one year old. His educational advantages were those of the public schools of Nepoleon, Jackson county, but at the age of ten he was obliged to leave school and go to work, as the family was then in humble circumstances, and since that time Alonzo Lewis has made his own way in the world. He first went to work for a .neighboring family, receiving his board and clothing as compensation. He continued there for four years, and then for a similar period of time hired out by the month to various other farmers in the community. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company E, Seventeenth Michigan infantry, which regiment was organized in the city of Detroit and left the state Aug. 27, of that year, going directly to Washington, D. C., where it was assigned to the first brigade, first division, ninth corps, for the Maryland campaign. .It was first engaged at South mountain, Sept. 14, 1862, and there won high honors, charging over a stone wall and scattering a strong force of the enemy-from which it received its sobriquet, the "Stonewall Regiment." Later it was with General Grant before Vicksburg, Miss., and it was in many other memorable engagements, among them the battle of the Wilderness, Ny river and Spotsylvania, and it participated gallantly in the terrific assault at the "bloody angle," where it lost twenty-three killed, seventy-three wounded and ninetythree prisoners, out of 225 engaged. The subject of this sketch was taken prisoner at Spottsylvania, May 12, 1864, and for five months confined in the celebrated Andersonville prison and two months and seven days in the Confederate prison at Florence, S. C.. He was in the memorable siege of Knoxville, Tenn., which lasted for twentyone days, and in numerous other encounters. After the Surrender of Lee the regiment was ordered to Washington, D. C., where it participated in the grand review, and. it was mustered from the service at Tenallytown, June 3, 1865. Its original strength was 982; its total enrollment was 1,097; and its loss by death, 283. At .the close of the war Mr. Lewis returned to his native county and for a year engaged in farming on shares in Napoleon township. 1le then moved to Columbia township, in the same county, where for the following three years he again cultivated land on shares, at the expiration of which time he purchased a farm of forty acres in the township of Woodstock, this county, upon which he resided for three years, and then sold this and bought another place of sixty acres, which he operated for one year. He then disposed of that farm and leased another of 14o acres in the same township, where he lived for three years, after which he purchased a place of eighty acres in the same township, which he operated for four years, at the expiration of which he disposed of this property and removed to Wheatland township, Hilisdale county, Michigan, where he purchased 125 acres of land, upon which he continued to reside for twenty-two years. He then became a resident of the village of Addison, embarking in the agricultural implement business, in which he has since been successfully engaged. Today he carries a complete stock of goods in his line, including pulp, twine, farm machinery and implements of various descriptions, etc. In his political affiliations Mr. Lewis is a loyal adherent of the principles of the Republican party, though he reserves the privilege of acting independently when the better interests of the community seem to warrant it. Though not an office-seeker in the usual meaning of the term, he was twice elected to the office of town treasurer in Wheatland township, Hillsdale county, while a resident of that place. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Addison lodge, and his present interest in his former comrades-in-arms is signalized by his membership in the Grand Army of the Republic. He is broadminded and liberal in all of his views and enjoys the- unqualified esteem of his fellow citizens. Mr. Lewis has been twice married. On Feb. 5, 1868, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Lovina Swartout, who was born in the township of Woodstock, this county, Sept. 18, 1850, a daughter of Isaac and Mary Ann (Lockwood) Swartout, natives of the Empire State. Isaac Swartout, a farmer by vocation, migrated to Michigan in an early day, locating on government land in Woodstock township, where he resided continuously until his death. His beloved wife also passed away in that township. Seven children were born to Mr. Swartout and wife: Daniel, deceased; Antoinett, widow of Merchert Kelly, resides in Cement City, Lenawee county; Ada, wife of Leroy Terrill, is a resident of Woodstock township ; Isabelle, who is married to John Briggs, lives in the city of Hudson, this county; Lovina, deceased, was formerly the wife of the subject of this record; and Emily and Albert are also deceased. By his first marriage Mr. Lewis became the father of three children; Emmett, born Feb. 14, 1869, is a resident of Somerset township, Hillsdale county; Dolly, who was born July 19, 1874, is the wife of John Voorhes, a stockbuyer, residing in Addison; and Hazel B., who was born Sept. 14, 1885, is married to Elwin Clark, a real-estate dealer of the city of Adrian. Mrs. Lewis, the first wife of the subject of this review, passed to the life eternal, April 1, 1902, loved and respected by all who knew her. On Sept. 20, 19o5, Mr. Lewis was united in holy wedlock to Mrs. Julia (Abbott) Carnes, formerly the, wife of John Carves, deceased, a resident of Addison prior to his demise. Mrs. Lewis was born in Somerset township, Hillsdale county, in 1842, a daughter of George and Hannah (Nichols) Abbott, natives of New York state, the former having been born Dec. 8, 1805, and the latter July 11, 181o. George Abbott received a common-school education in his native state and at an early age became familiar with the carpenter's trade, which he `followed during his early manhood, though in later years farming became, his chief occupation. With his young wife he migrated to Michigan in 1836,, locating on government land in the township of Dover, in this county, when this region was virtually a wilderness waste. He proceeded to erect a cabin and stable of the primitive type in the midst of the wilds, and soon he had reclaimed a portion of the land to cultivation. The nearest settlement was Adrian, to which Mr. Abbott was obliged to make frequent journeys, over roads which were little more than trails through the forests, to secure flour and other provisions. Subsequently he exchanged this farm in Dover township for one in the township of Wheat land, Hillsdale county, which he operated until the winter of 1852, when he disposed of it and removed to Addison, where for some years carpentry was again his chief occupation. In 1868 Mr. Abbott purchased a farm in the vicinity of Big Rapids, Mecosta county, Michigan, where three years later his beloved wife passed to her re ward. He survived until 1883, when he passed away while visiting at the home of a daughter in Big Rapids. Five children were born to this honored couple: Elizabeth, born May i8, 1831, died in 1847; Eliza, who was born Dec. 24, 1833, passed away Sept. 18, 1903, the widow of John W. Brown, who resided in Big Rapids prior to his demise, in 11895; Loretta, born March 119, 1836, is the widow of John Terpeming, a resident of Woodstock township and Addison for many years and a farmer and stone mason by occupation; Mary Jane, born Aug. 22, 1838, now the wife of James Cleveland, of Redlands, Cal., was previously married to Benjamin Iverson, a carpenter by trade and a resident of Addison prior to his death, in 1871; and Julia is the beloved wife of the subject of this sketch. The former husband of Mrs. Lewis, John Carnes, deceased, was a native of New York and came to Addison and vicinity about 1855. He was a versatile mechanic, being proficient in any line of workmanship. In August, 1862, he enlisted as a private in a Michigan regiment and rendered gallant service until the close of the war, when he returned to Addison, where for several years he was employed in the grist-mills. During the latter years of his career he was an employe in the general store of Chester Binns. He died June 21, 1903, his death resulting from heart failure. To the union of John Carnes and wife were born two children: Adella, born Oct. 22, 1859, is the wife of Daniel Weaver, of Addison, a cooper by trade, though at present an employe of the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway Company; and Isabelle,. born Jan. 30, 1871, is the widow of Harry Wood, formerly a prominent farmer of Rollin township, whose death occurred March 24, 19o8, in Redlands, Cal., where he had gone in search of health, having arrived there the day prior to his demise. Dell G. Bonney, who is now.living virtually retired in the village of Addison, was for many years prominently indentified with the agricultural industry in Lenawee county. He is a native son of this county, having been born in the township of Rollin, Aug. 19, 1861, a son of Sylvester and Sarah (Gaston) Bonney, the former of whom was born in New York state, April 14, 1822, and the latter in Massachusetts, Jan. 14, 1830. Sylvester Bonney acquired his educational training in the public schools of his native state and at an early age displayed a marked aptitude for music, which was fostered by the taking of lessons, both vocal and instrumental. He was a school teacher for several years in his early manhood and later became -a traveling salesman for a large school-supply firm. He migrated to Michigan in an early day, purchasing government land in Rollin township near the Rome township line, where he was a thrifty and successful follower of agricultural pursuits continuously until the year 1886, when he removed to the village of Addison, which was his place of residence during the remainder of his days. He was twice elected to the treasurership of Rollin township, a_ fitting recognition of his capability and honesty, but was rather unfortunate in his incumbency of this office, as the bank in Hudson, in which he had deposited the township funds, became insolvent, and he was obliged to reimburse the township for the loss. His aptitude for music became known throughout the county and for many years he gave both vocal and instrumental lessons. He was also prominent as a member of the celebrated Rollin band, which on various- occasions rendered music in many communities of the county. Sylvester Bonney received the summons to the life eternal, July 12, 1907, while visiting a daughted at Mason, Ingham county, Michigan, where just five years previously, to a day-July 12, 1902 -his beloved wife also passed to her reward. His was a long and honorable career, in which no man can point to a dishonorable ct, and this gave him the profund respect of those in whose midst he lived and labored; and in all of his endeavors he displayed the very highest qualities of ability, energy and devotion to duty, which made his example a source of inspiration to others, and the records of which will be a precious heritage to the dear ones he left behind. He lived a devoted, consecrated, Christian life, serving his chosen church-that of the Baptist faith-as a loyal member and in various official capacities. He was loved as a neighbor and friend, was extremely useful as a citizen, and tender and affectionate as a husband and father. He was hospitable to an extreme degree and thoroughly enjoyed the companionship of friends. The true, Christian gentleman that he was, he was ever considerate of the feelings and opinons of others and possessed a beautiful Christian spirit, which caused him to be as fair to those who differed from him as with those whose views were strictly in accord with his own, though he refused to compromise with that which he believed to be wrong. The happy union of Sylvester Bonney and wife was blessed with the birth of four children, of whom the immediate subject of this sketch is third in point of age, the others being Orville, born Sept. 14, 1853, died March 12, 1896; Addie R., born April 20, 1857, is the wife of Elvin Ayers, of Addison, a traveling salesman in the employ of the Page Fence Company, of Adrian; and Minnie E., born Dec. 19, 1870, is married to Alvah Bell, a resident of Mason, Ingham county, Michigan. The immediate subject of this review received a common-school education in his native township, and continued to work on his father's farm until he had passed his twenty-third birthday. In 1886 he purchased from his father the old homestead, upon which he was born and reared to manhood. Here for twenty-one consecutive years he successfully and profitably followed agricultural pursuits and came to be recognized as one of the progressive, scientific farmers of the county. In 1907 he disposed of the old farmstead, which had been in possession of the family for over seventy years, and removed to Addison, where previously he had purchased a fine residence property. Here he today virtually lives retired, though occassionally he works about the neighborhood in the capacity of painter and paper-hanger. In his political affiliations he is a staunch supporter of the cause and principles of the Democracy, though he reserves the privilege of acting independently when the welfare of the community seems to warrant it. In his religious faith he gives allegiance to the Baptist church, in which he renders effective service in behalf of the higher things in life. He has never aspired to a public career, preferring to devote his time and attention to his private business affairs. On Aug. 13, 19o2, he was united in holy matrimony to Mrs. Emma Poacher, who was born at Republic, Seneca county, Ohio, in i86o, and who at the time of her marriage to Mr. Bonney was the widow of Frank Poacher, many years a resident of Rome township, this county. Mrs. Bonney's maiden name was Blanchard and her parents were natives of the old Buckeye State. On Nov. 26, 1904, after having been married to Mr. Bonney only a little over two years, Mrs. Bonney received the final summons to the life everlasting, leaving her bereaved husband and an extensive circle of intimate friends and acquaintances to mourn her death. Hers was ever an upright, con-secrated, religious life, as was evinced in her daily walks and conversation. She was possessed of a beautiful Christian spirit and those who knew her best loved her most. There is a vacancy in many hearts which can never be filled by another, and many a wife and mother will perform the duties of life more faithfully because of the influence.of her life. The highest tribute is due her, and it can truthfully be said that she was a woman of exceptional qualities of heart and mind, true at all times to herself, her husband and her God. Aaron W. Brown, a representative farmer and stock-grower of the township of Rollin, is a liberal and public-sl5irted citizen who commands the unqualified regard and esteem of the community in which he has so long resided. He is a native of the great Empire State, having been born in Ulster county, New York, May 12, 1866, and he is a son of William and Sarah (Winchel) Brown, both of whom were likewise natives of Ulster county and members of sterling families of that section of New York state. The father, born Feb. 3, 1825, made farming his life vocation, which he followed continuously in the old Empire State until 1878, when the family migrated to Michigan, locating on a farm in Lenawee county, situated in close proximity to the Jackson county fine. Here the parents continued to reside until 1896, then located on a farm in the township of Rollin, this county, upon which they lived during their remaining- days, the death of the father occurring May 3, igoo, and his widow surviving until June 1, 19o2. In religion William Brown was a Baptist of the old school, and he continued to render allegiance to the church of this faith up to the very last. The happy union of this worthy couple -was blessed by the birth of seven children: Uriah, born Aug. 12, 1844, died Sept. 13, 1846; Jonathan, born Aug. 19, 1846, passed away March 15,'1852; Millard, born Oct. 24, 1848. died Sept. 30, 185o; Samantha, born May 3, 1851, is the wife of B. B. Oakley, and a resident of Standish, Arenac county, Michigan, where her husband, Ľa painter by occupation, is now the incumbent of the office of city assessor; Sarah, born June 1, 1853, is the wife of N. W. Bogart, an employe in the cement works at Cement City, this county; Orpha, born Nov. 15, 1869, is the wife of Benjamin Peterson, a carpenter contractor, of Jackson, Mich. ; and Aaron W. iss the subject of this review. The last named received his educational training in the common schools of his native state, Jackson county, and Woodstock township, and when not occupied with his studies he was busily engaged in assisting his parents about the farm, thus acquiring at an early age a practical knowledge of farming and at the same time learning the arduous lessons of hard work and self-dependence. In 1896 he purchased the place in Rollin township, upon which he today resides. The farm is composed of 12o acres of fertile, productive soil and he is engaged in diversified farming, making somewhat of a specialty of dairying and stock-raising. He has always been identified with ag-ricultural pursuits and has attained to definite success and prestige in his life vocation solely through his own thrift and enterprise. In politics he is a stanch advocate of the principles of the Republican party, though he never holds the interests and success of his party above the public good. In years past he has faithfully and capably filled the township offices of treasurer and clerk and today he is supervisor of Rollin township. He is also treasurer of the school district in which he resides and has occupied this position of public trust for twelve years. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Inde-pendent Order of Odd Fellows, the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Knights of the Maccabees. Mr. Brown has been twice married. On Oct. 30, 1886, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Mary Bogart, who was born in New York state, Nov. 1, 1865, a daughter of Ephraim and Martha J. (Conell) Bogart, who were also natives of the Empire State, where they always resided. On March 19, 1889, Mrs. Brown passed into eternity, loved and respected by the entire community. Besides her bereaved husband, she left to mourn her loss one child-Lester-born Aug. 1g, 1887, who now resides with his father. On June 1o, 1897, Mr. Brown was united in holy wedlock to Miss Nellie Bryant, a native of Rollin township, born Jan. 8, 1870, and a daughter of Aaron and Harriet (Tuttle) Bryant, natives of the Empire State, who migrated to Michigan in an early day and located on the farm in the township of Rollin, upon which they resided during the remainder of their days, the death of the father occurring in the year 1888, and the mother surviving until 1901. Three children were born to this worthy couple: Elvin, born March 25, 186o, died May 20, 1:985; Hattie, born Nov. 22, 1864, is a resident of Adrian; and Nellie is the present wife of the subject of this record. Three children have been born of the union of Mr. Brown and wife : Thelma, born June 1o, 1899; Irma, born Feb. 3, 1902; and Leola, born Aug. 12, 19o6; all of whom reside with their parents. E. M. Jenkins, M. D., for many years an eminent member of the medical profession in New York and Michigan, has attained to success and prestige in his life's vocation entirely through his own diligence and enterprise. In his eighty-second year he is today a resident of the village of Addison, this county, where he lives practically retired enjoying the fruits of a long and useful career. Ile is a native of the old Empire State, having first beheld the light of day in Roxbury, Delaware county, New York, June 25, 1828, a son of Jacob and Rachel (Keator) Jenkins, also natives of Delaware county. The father was both a carpenter and farmer by occupation, and both he and his beloved wife passed all of their days in the state of their nativity. The subject of this sketch acquired his elementary education in the public schools of Roxbury and Hobart, in his native county, and later he pursued a course of study in the Vermont State Normal School, at Castleton, Rutland county, Vermont, upon the completion of which course he returned to Sullivan county and for several years taught school in the township of Rosendale, attending to his pedagogic duties during the day time and pursuing medical studies in the evenings. Later he continued the study of medicine under the able supervision of Drs. Fanning and Knapp, at that time two of the eminent physicians and surgeons of Gilboa, Scholiarie county, New York, and upon the completion of his professional studies under these men he launched forth in the practice of medicine at Hamden, Delaware county, where he remained about three years, and then came west and matriculated as a student in the medical department of the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, graduating in the spring of 1856, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then returned to Hamden, where he continued the practice of his profession for three years, at the expiration of which he removed to South New Berlin, Chenango county, New York, where he practiced for six years. Having resolved to 'cast his fortune in the rapidly developing West, Dr. Jenkins then returned to this commonwealth, locating first at Jonesville, Hillsdale county, where he remained one year, and then at Addison, where his 'capabilities as a physician and surgeon rapidly became known and his professional services were soon being sought over that section of Lenawee county, and in addition he came to enjoy an extensive and lucrative practice in Hillsdale and Jackson counties. For many years he was universally recognized as one of the eminently successful followers of the medical profession in this section of the state, and to him is accorded the unreserved confidence and high regard of the community which has represented his home for so many years. A few years ago Dr. Jenkins practically retired from the active practice of his profession, although he still attends a few of his older patients, who insist upon his services. Though he has passed the eighty-first milestone of life's journey, he still enjoys good health and his mental faculties are unimpaired, and it would seem that there are still many years of usefulness before him. In his political proclivities he has ever been an ardent adherent of the Democracy, though reserving the privilege to act independently when his better judgment dictates such a course. Dr. Jenkins is universally recognized as a public-spirited, broadminded citizen, and though he has not aspired to a, political career he has for a number of years served as a member of the village council of Addison, and in this capacity, as in all others in which his busy career has found him, he brings to the discharge of his duties capability and absolute integrity, ever holding the higher interests of the public welfare at heart. Fraternally he has been a life=long member of the Masonic fraternity, having joined it while a resident of South New Berlin, N. Y., in the days of his early man-hood. On March 5, I86o, was solemnized his marriage to Miss Elizabeth C. Brant, who was born in Hamden, Delaware county, New York, April 22, 1838, a daughter of Roswell and Elizabeth (Yendes) Brant, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Delaware county, New York, both of whom were residents of the Empire State during the greater portion of their careers. To the happy union of Dr. and Mrs. Jenkins were born six children Anna, born Dec. i8, 1861, is the wife of L. S. Darling, a retired farmer, and resides in the village of Addison; Minnie, who was born Oct. 15, 1865, is married to Arvey D.. Swartout, who is engaged in the meat business in Addison; John, who was born Feb. 14, 1868, is now engaged in the automobile business at Lansing, Mich.; Emma, born Dec. g, 1872, passed away June 15, 1874; Lincoln, who was born Sept. 29, 1874, died Jan. 27, 19o8; and Zula, who was born Oct. 20, 1877, died Aug. 25, r88o. The beloved wife of Dr. Jenkins received her summons to the life eternal on Oct. 3, 1897, while in her sixtieth year, and besides her bereaved husband and surviving children, she left to mourn her taking away a wide circle of intimate friends and associates. Her life and her many virtues are so well known that they need not be told. May her virtues be imitated and her life be an inspiration. John F. Schreder, supervisor, and one.of the prominent citizens of Tecumseh township, was born on a farm in Raisin township, Feb. 15, 1852. He is the son of Israel H. Schreder, born in Pennsylvania in 1818, and his wife, Margaret Gillespie, a native of New York, born March 2, 1828, and a sketch of whose brother, Richard B. Gillespie, appears elsewhere in this volume. John Schreder, the great-grandfather on the paternal side, was born in Hesse, Germany, in 1748, and died in Orange county, New York, in 1823, at the age of seventy-five years. He came to America in 1776, and served in the British army two years as a Hessian soldier. Then he deserted to the American side and served during the remainder of the war in the Colonial army. In making his escape from the English forces, he was fired upon and slightly wounded, losing a finger from one of his hands. In 1788 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Hack, who was born in Rhode Island, in 1767, and died in 1851, at the age of eighty-four years. The paternal grandfather, John F. Schreder, which name the subject of this review also bears, was horn in Pennsylvania and came to Tecumseh in 1830.. Here he operated the first grist mill erected in the county, and which was owned by Brown & Evans. Before coming to Michigan, he had served in the American army in the War of 1812. Later in his life, he entered land under the home-stead law in Ridgeway township, and there both he and his wife died. Israel H. Schreder, the father of our subject, was an agriculturist, and as a Democrat was elected to the position of justice of the peace. He was twice married: first on Sept. 12, 1844, to Ansah Florence, who died on June 8, 1846, and on July 4, 1848, the marriage to Margaret Gillespie was solemnized. This lady, who was the mother of the subject of this sketch, died Dec. rg, 1897. John F. Schreder, to whom this review is dedicated, was reared on his father's farm and enjoyed such educational advantages as were afforded by the schools of the day. His active career has been devoted to agricultural pursuits, and he is at the present time the owner of seventy acres of land in Tecumseh township, although he makes his home in Tecumseh village. In his political relations he has been allied with the Republican party ever since he became of age, and as the successful candidate of that party is now serving his fourth year as supervisor. For ten years prior to his election to this office he was highway commissioner. The Schreder family has been prominently identified with the Masonic order for many years. The paternal grandfather became a member of Tecumseh Lodge, No. 69, by transfer from Penn-sylvania Lodge, No. 136, soon after coming to Tecumseh; the father, Israel H. Schreder, was a member of Tecumseh Lodge and Tecumseh Chapter, No. 42, Royal Arch Masons, and for several years was worshipful master of the lodge. The son, our subject, John F. Schreder, was made a Mason in Clinton Lodge, -No. 175, at Clinton, Mich., when but twenty-one years of age, and when he removed to Tecumseh, he transferred his membership to Tecumseh Lodge, No: 69. It was no unusual sight to see the three generations-grandfather, father, and son-sitting together in lodge gatherings. Mr. Schreder has been twice married. On Dec. 15, 1875, occurred his union with Miss Jennie M. Stevenson, born in County Antrim, Ireland, in 1851, the daughter of William and Lydia Stevenson, who emigrated to America in 1866 and located in Clinton township. To this union were born six shildren Lovisa C. became Mrs. Louis Millard, of.Chicago; Lovina J. is now Mrs. W. J. Penman, of Detroit; Charles F. is located in Utica, Mich.; Lydia M. is the wife of Fred Reed, of Chicago; Margaret M. is Mrs. Charles Ryan, of Chicago; and Blanche R. now lives in Chicago. Mrs. Schreder passed into the great unknown on April 4, 1go6, and her death was mourned by a large circle of friends. On May 20, 19o8, Mr. Schreder was united in marriage to Mrs. Susie (Anderson) Coller, born in Livingston county, New York, June 4, 1868, the daughter of Samuel and Hannah (Curry) Anderson. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson are both natives of the Emerald Isle, who came to Livingston county, New York, in 1866, and to Macon township, Lenawee county, in 1877, and they now live retired in Tecumesh. Mr. and Mrs. Schreder and all of his children are members of the Presbyterian church. Michael Wesley Hensel, of Blissfield, the efficient commissioner of schools of Lenawee county, was born at New Alexandria. 1Vestmoreland county, Pennsylvania, Jan. 23, 1867, the son of Jacob B. and Mary Ann (Bash) Hensel. He is of German-French extraction, and of the sixth generation of American birth. His ancestors on both sides were American soldiers in the Revolutionary war and in the War of 18r2. His father, Jacob B. Hensel, was born in Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, Sept. 18, 1831, and is the descendant of a line of sturdy German pioneers who first came to the United States in the Seventeenth century. The maternal ancestors were of French origin (Bossart by name) and they also came early to this country to seek their fortunes. Jacob B. Hensel was reared a farmer and that has been his occupation most of his life. He has been the recipient of many official honors and all through his life has retained the respect and esteem of all who know him. In 1855 he was united in marriage to Miss Mary Ann Bash, a daughter, of Michael and Mary Ann (Fennel) Bash, of Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, and they became the parents of fourteen children, twelve of whom grew to maturity. Mrs. Mary Ann (Bash) Hensel was born in Bell township, Westmoreland county, April 2, 1841. Her ancestors came from Holland in the early history of our country and helped in the building of the new nation. On Oct. 5, . I9o5, the father and mother celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, and although they are now both well advanced in years they retain to a wonderful degree their health and vigor, and they still reside in New Alexandria, Pa. Michael W. Hensel, the subject of this review, lived at home until he was seventeen years of age, and then left the protection of the parental roof to start his career. He had attended district school from four to six months in the year, and worked on the farm the remainder of the time. His parents, being only in moderate circumstances, and having a large family to support, were unable to give him such educational advantages as they wished, but heartily encouraged his ambition 'to secure higher education for himself. At the age of seventeen, although he had never attended any other than district schools, he passed the county teachers' examination and decided to teach. This determination was a natural one, as the work of teaching appears to be characteristic of his family-two uncles, an aunt, two brothers and two sisters, being successful as educators. To make his first application for a school he walked twenty-two miles on a hot August day. Being without money, he was compelled to forego the eating of 'dinner, and furthermore, he failed to secure the muchcoveted school. His next application met with better success, and he was employed five months in what was said to be one of the "hardest" schools in the township. That his first work as a pedagogue was satisfactory is evident from the fact that he was offered the same school the next year at an increased salary. With the money secured by teaching he was enabled to attend an academy the following summer. For five successive years he taught school in the fall and winter and attended an academy during the remainder of the year. The sixth year of his teaching was spent in the first four grades of a village school, and at the end of this year he took the examination for a state certificate, which was granted April 15, z89o. In the autumn of i8go, Mr. Hensel entered the sophomore class of Allegheny College, at Meadville, Pa., where he studied five years, and while there he was made a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. The three summer months of three of his college years were taken up in'conducting a "select school," each succeeding year bringing a larger attendance and greater financial returns. In the fall of 1892, principally for the purpose of securing a better pedagogic training, he became a student at Ohio University, in which he graduated the following year with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Every dollar spent in securing his education was the-product of his own labor and was earned chiefly by teaching. On many occasions his financial discouragements were so great that he was strongly tempted to quit college, but his early desire to receive a higher education had become firmly fixed in his nature and it could not be overcome. Perhaps the proudest day of his life was the one on which he received his degree. In September, 1893, Mr. Hensel took charge of the East Blissfield school, and for four years he filled the position with great satisfaction to every one concerned. In October, 1894, he was elected to the board of county school examiners by the board of supervisors, and was re-elected in October, 2896. He then became a candidate on the Republican ticket for county commissioner of schools, and after being elected was installed in office, July 1, 1897. In 1899 and I9o1 he was reelected, and in 1903, the law having been revised so as to make the term four years, he was elected for that period, at the expiration of which he was again chosen for a term of four years. He is well and favorably known throughout educational circles in the state, being a member of the Michigan State Teachers' Reading Circle Board, and a member of the special committee on education of the Michigan State Grange to investigate the best method and system of procuring text-books and school appliances for the rural schools of the state. He has been appointed by the governor and state commissioner of schools to act upon various educational and state committees in educational interests. Mr. Hensel is a prominent figure in fraternal circles, being a Royal Arch Mason, and for two years was worshipful master of Lodge No. 114, Free and Accepted Masons, at Blissfield, while his Royal Arch membership is in Chap-ter No. tar, at the same place. He is also a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Adrian Lodge, No. 4.29; the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 258, at Blissfield ; the Blissfield Grange, and while at Allegheny College, as before stated, he was an active member of Omega Chapter of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. In religious matters he and his family are attendants at the Presbyterian church. He manifests an active interest in the affairs of Blissfield, where his home, comprising twelve acres, in the corporation limits, is very pleasantly situated, and there he rests from educational work by indulging in farming pursuits on a small scale, now and then. On July 3, 1895, was solemnized Prof. Hensel's marriage to Miss Nellie E. Dickinson, a daughter of Anson and Mary J. Dickinson, of Blissfield, and of this union have been born two children-Linda and Grant D. Mrs. Hensel's father, Anson Dickinson, Jr., was born in what is now Deerfield township, Dec. 21, 1834. His father, Anson Dickinson, Sr., died in August, 1834, leaving his little family in the wilderness. The mother and her small children were taken back to Pottsdam, N. Y., early in 1835, by her father, Clement Carpenter, and there Anson Dickinson, Jr., grew to manhood.' In 1854 he returned to Blissfield, where, on Oct. 3, 1856, he was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Loomis, a daughter of Gad R. and Mary (Whitney) Loomis, of Madrid, N. Y. They had three children: David E., Mrs. Hen ;el, and one that died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson celebrated their golden wedding, Oct. 3, 1906, and both are now enjoying excellent health. For the past fifteen years Mr. Dickinson has been retired from active participation in business. Edwin M. Wilson, deceased, for many years a prominent citizen of this county, was born on the old Wilson homestead in Adrian township, July 24, 1849, a son of William and Elizabeth (Mott) Wilson, natives of the old Empire State. The father was born in Seneca county, New York, Feb. 3, 1831, and passed away in the state of California in 1907. He was reared and educated in his native state, where he followed agricultural pursuits in his earlier years. In the days of his early manhood he migrated to Michigan, locating on a farm in the township of Adrian, where he resided for several years and then removed to the city of Adrian, where he was engaged in the harness business until Igor. His beloved wife passed 'to the life eternal on April 21, of that year, and soon thereafter William Wilson removed to the state of California, where he continued to reside until his death. The subject of this sketch acquired his elementary educational training at Raisin Valley Seminary, and in the early winter of 1864-65 enlisted in Company A, Eleventh Michigan infantry, when this regiment was reorganized at Jackson, Mich. In March, 1865, it was ordered to Nashville, Tenn., where it remained until April of that year, when it moved to Chattanooga, Tenn., and was assigned to the Third brigade, Second separate division, Army of the Cumberland. Three weeks later it was ordered to East Tennessee, where it was engaged in active service. In June it was sent to Knoxville for guard duty, and on Aug. 3 it was sent back to Nashville, where it was mustered from the service on Sept. 16. At the close of the war Mr. Wilson returned to his native county and later matriculated as a student in Oberlin College, Ohio, where he continued in attendance until he was graduated, four years later. He then went to Adrian and engaged in the harness business in partnership with his father, in which business he continued for about seven years, at the expiration of which he removed to Hudson, this county, where he again embarked in business and continued to- make his residence for several years. Later he removed to the village of Addison, but remained there only one year, and then went to the state of Kansas and engaged in railroad construction work, in which he continued during the remainder of his career. He passed to his reward, April 6, 1888, in his thirty-ninth year, leaving his bereaved family and a wide circle of intimate _friends and associates to mourn his untimely death. His life was marked by signal integrity and usefulness and he was ever held in high repute in the various communities in which he resided. He was a liberal, public-spirited citizen, and in politics was an ardent advocate of the Republican party, of which his honored father was also a loyal supporter from the time of its organization until his demise. On Aug. 1, 1867, Edwin M. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Emma E. DeGreene, who was born in Rollin township, this county, March 16, 1850, a daughter of Richard and Elizabeth A. (Hathaway) DeGreene, the former of whom was a native of Yorkshire, England, and the latter of Massachusetts. The father was reared and educated in his native land, and in his twentieth year emigrated to this country, landing in New York city and coming directly to Devil's Lake, in this county, making the journey fromthe Atlantic coast to his destination on foot. He passed his first night in Rollin township, in a log lnit owned by Orson Green, in the wilds of the Devil's Lake region. Wild game of various species abounded in that vicinity at that time and for some time after arriving there Richard DeGreene took pleasure in hunting and trapping. Later he obtained employment as a clerk in a little log store situated in the midst of the wilderness, and owned and conducted by Thomas Brownell, and it was while working here that he met and wooed his future wife, Elizabeth A. Hathaway. After his marriage he located on a tract of government land in Rollin township, upon which he resided during the remainder of his life. -Four children were born to the union of Mr. DeGreene and wife, and Mrs. Edwin M. Wilson was the third eldest, the others being: Norman, who died in infancy; Albert, born in 1848, who passed his entire life in Rollin township, and was accidentally killed while on a hunting expedition, in December, 1872; and Mary, now the wife of John Sarley, a resident of the above named township. The happy marital union of the subject of this sketch and wife was blessed by the birth of six children: Elwood, born Sept. 20, 1870, is now a physican and surgeon, of Somerset township, Hillsdale county, Michigan; Mary Alberta, born Nov. 5, 1872, died Sept. 28, 1874; Maud Elizabeth, born March I1, 1875, passed away Feb. 16, 1878; Edwin Gurney, born Aug. 25, 1877, is also a physician and surgeon, practicing at Addison; Mary Elizabeth, born June 20, 1880, is the wife of James H. McGrath and resides on the old DeGreene homestead, in the township of Rollin ; and Alfred Claude, born Oct. 20, 1884, resides with .his mother and, like his grandfather DeGreene, is an ardent sportsman. Elwood and Edward Gurney, the physicians and surgeons of the Wilson family, acquired their early education in the public schools of the Maple City, and later graduated at the Detroit College of Medicine with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. Edward Gurney was for some time after graduation located in Detroit, being professionally associated with the celebrated Dr. Hal C. Wyman, now deceased. 'He contemplates returning to Detroit in the near future, and to resume his practice there.

                                  Previous Page                    Next Page



   NAVIGATION
 » Home
 » Contact Us
History of Lenawee County
published by The Western Historical Society in 1909. Book 1
Book 2

Please support our advertisers







History of Lenawee County
Lenawee History

Copyright © 2009-2017, Dominant Systems Corporation and others.
info@lenaweehistory.com