REPRESENTATIVES AND COUNTY OFFICIALS.
Representatives.-Sessions of 1835 and 1836: IIiram Dodge, George Howe, Allen Hutchins, Darius Mead, and James Wheeler; 1837: Jesse Ballard, Orange Butler, Alonzo Cressy, James Field, and Asahel Finch, Jr.; 1838: Lauren Hotchkiss, Jira Payne, Charles Spafford, and Jeremiah D. Thompson, 11839; John J. Adam, Artemus Allen, Joseph H. Patterson, and Davis Smith; 1840: John M. Bird, Sirrell C. LeBaron, James McDonald and Daniel K. Underwood; 1841: Ebenezer Daniels, Philo C. Fuller, William Sprague, and Albert Wilcox; 1842: John C. Ball, Charles Blair, Philo Wilson, and James H. Woodbury; 1843: Guy Carpenter, Francis H. Hagaman, Joseph H. Patterson, and Fielder S. Snow; 1844: Jonathan Berry, Ebenezer W. Fairfield, Oliver Miller, and Thomas H. Mosher;- 1845: Charles Blair, Ahira G. Eastman, George Ecklee, and Henry Wyman ; 1846: James McDonald, Michael A. Patterson, John A. Rice, and James H. Sweeny; 1847: John J. Adam, Daniel H. Deming, Thomas J. Faxon, John W. Turner, and Sylvester Walker; 1848: Davis D. Bennett, Elihu L. Clark, David B. Dennis, Joseph H. Patterson, and Daniel G. Quackenboss; 1849: Daniel H. Deming, William McNair, Jabez S. Mosher, John _~V. Turner, and Daniel S. Wilkinson; 1850: David B. Dennis, Noah K. Green, Frederick A. Kennedy, Sr., Daniel G. Quackenboss, and Philo Wilson; 1851: Elias J. Baldwin, Augustus W. Childs, George Crane, Henry Darling, and Thomas Gray; 1853: Sewell S. Goff, Nelson Green, Daniel G. Quackenboss, and Jeremiah D. Thompson; 1855 Robert R. Beecher, Hiram S. Eddy, James H. Parker, and Alexander R. Tiffany; 1857-58: Langford G. Berry, Dr. Henry P. Combs, Barzilla J. Harvey, and Gideon D. Perry; 1859: John R. Clark, Orson Green, Jabez Perkins, and Peter Sharp; 1861-62 Noah K. Green, Israel S. Hodges, Thomas F. Moore, and Daniel ID. Piper; 1863-64: Henry P. Combs, George L. Crane, Noah K. Green, Daniel D. Piper, and Hiram Raymond; 1865: John IK. Boies,
Charles E. Mickley, R. B. C. Newcomb, William H. Osborne, and William S. Wilcox; 1867: John K. Boies, Charles E. Mickley, William 1-I. Osborne, Walter Robinson and William S. Wilcox; 1869-70: Benjamin L. Baxter, Archer H. Crane, Charles A. Jewell, Brackley Shaw, and Jacob Walton; 1871-72: John J. Adam, Archer H. Crane, Orson Green, Cornelius Knapp, and Jacob Walton ; 1873-74 Charles M. Croswell, Arthur D. Gilmore, LeGrand J. Smith, and Jacob Walton ; 1875: Charles Brown, Danforth Keyes, Marshall Reed, and Richard B. Robbins,; 1877: Alfred D. Hall, Richard B. Robbins, and Jacob C. Sawyer; 1879: Stillman W. Bennett, Manson Carpenter, and Alfred D. Hall; 1881-82 : Manson Carpenter, William Corbin, and Guernsey P. Waring; 1883: David A. Bixby, John U. Harkness, and George Howell; 1885: George Howell, William B. Town, and William H. Wiggins; 1887: Adrian O. Abbott, Miner T. Cole, and Norman B. Washburn; 1889: Adrian O. Abbott, Miner T. Cole, and John W. Dalton ; 1891: Lewis C. Baker, Selah H. Raymond, and John D. Shull ; 1892: Selah H. Raymond, and John D. Shull ; 1893: Horace Holdridge and Selah H. Raymond; 1895-97-98: Thomas M. Camburn and William R. Edgar; 1899-1900: Burton L.
Hart and George Howell; 1901-03: John H. Combs and Alvah G. Stone; 19o5: Warren J. Parker and Alvah G. Stone; 1907: Warren
J. Parker and Ernest J. Bryant; 1909: William L. Baldwin and Ernest J. Bryant.
Allen Hutchins, representative from Lenawee County in 183536, came to Adrian from Orleans County, New York, as early as 1832-33. He was a lawyer, and probably the first who settled in Lenawee County. He was an active, prominent business man, and in politics a Democrat.
Darius Mead, representative front Lenawee County in 1835, was born in Lanesboro, Mass., in 1800. He was a farmer and a Democrat. He settled in Michigan in 1833 and was a justice and associate County judge of Lenawee County. He died at Blissfield in 1859.
James Wheeler, representative from Lenawee County in 1835-36, was born in Saratoga County, New York, March 21, 1793. Later he lived in Wheeler, Steuben County, New York, a town named from the family. He settled in Tecumseh in 1834, and was a justice from 1837 to 1841. He was a farmer, and in politics a Democrat. He died at Tecumseh, February 20, 1854.
Orange Butler, representative from Lenawee County in 1837, was born in Pompey, Onondaga County, New York, March 5, 1794. He graduated at Union college, studied law with Victor Birdseye, at the same time teaching classics. He commenced practice atVienna, New York, then at Gaines, New York, where he had a large practice and was prominent in the famous Morgan trials, during the anti-Masonic excitement, and was prosecuting attorney. He came to Adrian in 1835. He removed to Delta, Eaton County, in 1847, and purchased the Ingersoll mills. He sold this property in 1849 and removed to Lansing, where he died July 1r, 1876. He practiced law and was justice of the peace for many years. In politics he was a Democrat.
Alonzo Cressy was born in Scipio, N. Y., in 1808. He received a fair education, studied medicine, and began practice at Lima, N. Y. There he married a daughter of Dr. Justin Smith, and immigrated to Clinton, Mich., in 1831. In 1832 he accompanied a detachment of troops sent to the Black Hawk war as far as Chicago, treating many attacked with cholera and studying the malady in hospital. In 1836 he was elected representative as an Independent.. He removed to Hillsdale, in 1855 was senator from Hillsdale County, and toward the close of the session was president pro tem. He was first an anti-slavery Whig, later a Republican, and the latter portion of his life a Democrat. He took high rank as a physician. He was presiding officer of the Sons of Temperance for two years. He died many years since.
James Field, representative from Lenawee County in 1837, came from the state of New York, settled at Palmyra at an early day, and afterward removed to Adrian, where he was in business as a warehouse man. His mother was a Quaker preacher at Scipio, N. Y. While living at Palmyra Mr. Fields was a justice of the peace. He died at Adrian, March 16, 1863.
Asahel Finch, Jr., was a native of New York state, born at Genoa, Cayuga County, February 14, 1808, and he came of as brave and hardy a race of pioneers as ever contributed to the upbuilding of new communities or commonwealths. His early education was received in the common Schools in the neighborhood in which he was reared, and in his young manhood he attended school at Middlebury Academy in Genesee County. He was married in 1830, near Rochester, N. Y., to Miss Mary DeForest Bristol, a native of Connecticut, and almost immediately thereafter was carried westward with the tide of immigration as far as Michigan. Locating at Tecumseh, he engaged for three years in merchandising, when, having a strong liking for the law, removed from there to Adrian and entered the office of Orange Butler, of that city, as a law student in 1834. While reading law he took an active interest ill public affairs, was elected to the Michigan legislature, and while serving in that body aided materially in bringing about a settlement of the boundary line dispute, between Michigan and Ohio, which is treated of extensively in another chapter. After a systematic and thorough course of study he was admitted to the bar in 1838. In the fall of the following year he removed to Milwaukee, Wis., and began his professional career there, a well-seasoned and well-informed man, whose experience as a man of affairs added materially to his qualifications for successful practice. He died on April 4, 1883, and at the time of his death was a member of the oldest law firm at the Milwaukee bar.
Lauren Hotchkiss, representative from Lenawee County in 1838,' settled in Adrian as early as 1833, and came from the state of New York. He built a house in Adrian and lived there for several years. He then became a resident of Medina, where he died about 1855. He was a Baptist preacher, and was also engaged in milling business.
Charles Spafford, representative from Lenawee County in 1838, was a merchant and miller at Tecumseh, and a Whig in politics. He has long been deceased, and no further information is obtainable concerning him.
Judge Jeremiah D. Thompson was born in Dutchess County, New York, in 179o, and there he resided until he was about twenty-one, when he, with his father, Silas Thompson, moved to Schoharie County, where they purchased a large farm. Jeremiah lived there until 1823, when he moved to Perinton, Monroe County, and again purchased a farm. He lived there until 1834, when he came to Michigan, and he arrived in Adrian on the first day of March, having traveled the entire distance through Canada with a four-horse team. After looking around for a week or two, he purchased of Anson Jackson 12o acres of land on the prairie, in Madison, on section 9. He owned several other farms in Madison; but finally moved into Adrian, where he resided several years. Previous to 184o he was appointed a "side judge" under the old law, which position he held until the present judiciary system was adopted. He was twice elected a member of the Michigan legislature. He was elected supervisor of Madison in 1837-38-39 and again in 1843 and 1853.
He also served a great many years as justice of the peace in the same township. He died at the residence of his son-in-law, William Hart, of Hudson, February 16, 1873.
Joseph H. Patterson was born in Ireland in i8oi, came to America in 181§ and located at Lockport, N. Y. In 1828 he removed to Adrian, where he settled on a farm. He was prominent in early Michigan politics, was a member of the constitutional convention of 1835, and representative- in 1839 and 1848. He is said to have given the names to four counties in the state: Antrim, Wexford, Roscommon, and Clare. In politics he was a Democrat.
Davis Smith, representative from Lenawee County in 1839, was born in Dutchess County, New York, in 18o8. By occupation he was a farmer, and in politics a Democrat. He came to Tecumseh in 1830. He held several public offices, and took part in the Black Hawk and Toledo wars. He bore the title of general. Mr. Davis died March 26, 1868.
John M. Bird was born in the village of Litchfield, Litchfield County, Connecticut, January 3, 18io, but he resided there only until he was two years old, when his parents, Chauncey and Mary Bird, removed to Verona, Oneida County, New York, where a farm was purchased. He lived with his parents until he was twenty-one. He had always worked at farming, and in the spring of 1833 he came to Michigan to look for a home. He prospected through Wayne, Monroe, Lenawee, Hillsdale, Branch, and St. Joseph counties, and returned to New York that fall. In the spring of 1835 he again came to Michigan and purchased land on section 18, in Doverthis County, and in the spring of 1836 he settled on it and resided there the remainder of his life. He cleared and improved about 15o acres of land, built good buildings, and made a good home out of the wilderness. He served the township as road commissioner, school inspector eight years, and justice of the peace twelve years. During the early days of the settlement of the township he was active in assisting in the work of organizing schools and laying out, building and improving roads and bridges. One day in 1835 he went to Lanesville (now Hudson) to see about some lumber, and on his return through the woods he, was chased for some two miles by an old bear., which seemed to contest his right to encroach upon her solitude: The village of Clayton was named by Mr. Bird in honor of Senator John M. Clayton, of Delaware, whom William H. Seward then said was fifty years ahead of his time. In 1839 Mr. Bird was, without his knowledge, nominated as a candidate for representative, and he was elected and served as a member of the state legislature for one term.
Sirrell C. LeBaron was born in Woodstock, Windsor County, Vermont, January 25, 1807. He was educated at Woodstock, and at the age of eighteen he went to Harrisburg, Pa. He was a delegate to the Clay convention at Washington in 1832, and was a great admirer and warm friend of Henry Clay. He came to Tecumseh .on July 5, 1832. He was the second clerk of Lenawee County, taking the place of Daniel Pitman, who left here and went to Texas, about the year 1834. Mr. 'LeBaron held this office until Michigan became a state, when he was elected the first clerk of the County under the state organization. He was a member of the legislature in 1840, and was elected County judge the same year. During the years 183738-39 Mr. LeBaron was a merchant at Tecumseh, and when he quit business-in 1839 he had "wild-cat" money enough, that he had taken, dollar for dollar, to paper his house with, and he is authority for the statement that that was about all it was good for. He opened the first grammar school in the County, in 1832, and in 1836 he sold his benches and school fixtures to Benjamin Workman, who 'continued the school until 1838, when he went to Canada. In 1842 Mr. LeBaron was the assignee of the old charter bank of Tecumseh, and was also assignee for the judge Blanchard estate, administrator of the Major Mills estate, with twelve heirs and the Owen estate of Clinton, and was at that time under $70,000 bonds.
James McDonald, representative from Lenawee County in 1840 and again in 1846, was born August 11, 1796, and died August 1g, 1848. He was a farmer, and in politics a Whig. He settled in Lenawee County in 1837.
Dr. Daniel Kingsley Underwood was born in Enfield, Mass., June 15, 1803, the son of Kingsley and Elizabeth Allen Underwood, and died at Adrian, May 6, 1875, nearly seventy-two years of age. He was educated in the common schools of Enfield, his native town, and then prepared for college at Amherst Academy. Graduating there, he entered as freshman Williams College, in the class of 1827. There he remained two years, and then took up the study of medicine, graduating with honor at the medical school of Dartmouth College, then- one of the most noted medical schools in New England. After this he started in the practice of his profession at Yarmouth, on Cape Cod, in_ Massachusetts, but remained only about two years, and then settled for a short time in Quincy, Mass., but after a short residence returned to Amherst and entered into partnership with Dr. Gridly; one of the best known physicians and surgeons of central Massachusetts. In the latter part of the summer of 1836, Dr. Underwood started for Michigan, taking a stage to 'Northampton, Mass., thence another stage to Albany, N. Y., and thence by another to Schenectady; from there a packet on the Erie Canal to Buffalo, and from there the steamer "Daniel Webster" carried him to Detroit in a week's time. Here, with two fellow passengers, he engaged a wagon, and in two days more reached Adrian, arriving about the first of September. The three left most of their luggage at the old red mill on North Main street, the owner of which was known to one of them, and then drove to the tavern called the "Adrian House," situated nearly where there was for many years a drug store, on the northwest corner of Main and Maumee streets. The next morning Dr. Underwood started to find his sister, who with her husband "had preceded him to Michigan two years earher and settled at what was afterward called "Keene," about two miles due north of the present city of Hudson. There was no road except the winding path used by ox teams, and Dr. Underwood walked. During the day he passed one house on what has since been called the "Jake Jackson Place," and at nightfall came upon a second house belonging to the late John Colwell, near the township line between Dover and Hudson. There he remained over night, being most hospitably treated, and the next morning pursued his journey, arriving at his destination about noon. He found the family of his brother-in-law sick, with hardly any provisions in the house, and after some necessary medical attendance he started for one of the nearest neighbors, of whom he had heard from Colwell, as being likely to have provisions to sell. He walked nine miles through the woods to the southeast corner of Medina Township. There he procured as much provisions as he could carry back on his shoulders, and returned, and after doing what was possible for his sister and family, went back to Adrian and sent out a wagon-load of necessaries. He finally made up his mind to settle in this neighborhood, and having heard of Toledo as a town of much promise, he went there, rented a building which was in process of erection and nearly complete, and then went East to get a stock of goods shipped in before the winter closed the canal and lakes. He bought a stock of drugs, medicines, groceries, paints, oils, etc., in New York, and returned with it to Toledo by the last boat of the season, only to find that the owner of the building he had rented, finding an opportunity to sell at a large profit, had sold the building and lot in his absence, and the new owner was in possession. No room was to be had in Toledo, and be must sell his goods during the winter to pay what he owed for them in the spring, so he transported his goods to Adrian by wagon and opened business on the west side of North Main street, eight or ten doors north of the corner, afterward buying the building. The building and stock were afterward destroyed by fire, but he rebuilt and finally bought the ground and built a building on the southwest corner of Main and Maumee streets, afterward occupied by Hart & Shaw. He never practiced medicine after coming to Michigan, except in the famihes of one or two friends, but he carried on his drug business until about 185o, when, having been severely ill for some time and despairing of ultimate recovery, he sold out to the late Samuel E. Hart, who had' been a clerk for him for several years. Then for several years Dr. Underwood gave his attention to his books, his fruit, and his garden, until his death in 1875, except that for two or three years he was engaged with the late Abel Whitney, under the name of D. K. Underwood & Company, in a private banking business in Adrian. Dr. Underwood was a deeply religious man, and he contributed about one-quarter of the cost of Plymouth church and that it cost not more than it did was largely attributable to his personal supervision and painstaking oversight. He was interested in public education and served as a member of the school board for several years. He gave one-half of the land and about two thousand dollars in money to the college at Adrian.
Ebenezer Daniels, representative from 'Lenawee County in 1841, was born in 1803. By occupation he was a merchant and in politics a Whig. He settled at Medina in 1833 and died there June r, 1862.
Philo C. Fuller, representative and speaker of the House in 1841, was born in New Marlborough, Mass., August 13, 1787. By profession he was a lawyer and politically he was a Whig. He was a member of the New York assembly, and also senator. He settled in Adrian in 1837, and had charge of the Erie & Kalamazoo railroad and bank. He was assistant postmaster-general tinder William Henry Harrison, and again became a resident of New York, where he served as comptroller of the state. He died at Geneva, N. Y, August 16, 1855.
Albert Wilcox, representative from Lenawee County in 1841, was born at New Marlborough, Mass., November 15, 18o5. His ancestors were engaged both in the French and Revolutionary wars. He was brought up on a farm, and in 1818 removed with his parents to Guilford, N. Y. He received a common school education and became a teacher. He removed to Wheeler, N. Y., where he was a partner of his father in farming and the making of wagons, and was a captain of militia. In 1835 he came to Michigan and took up a farm in the town of Bridgewater, Washtenaw County. In 1836 he enlisted as carriage maker in the United States arsenal at Dearborn, with the rank of orderly sergeant. In 1839' he settled at Cambridge, Lenawee County. In politics he was first a Whig and later a Republican. : Beginning in 1851, for many years he was in the employ of the Lake Shore railroad, in various mechanical positions. He held many local offices, including justice and alderman. During the Civil war he had entire charge of the water supply of 426 miles of railroad. During the later years of his life he resided at Adrian.
Charles Blair was born in the year 1802, in Middlefield, Otsego County, New York, and was a representative of the good old Puritan stock of New England farmers, whose energy, industry, and purity of character, have stamped their impress on the whole North. Educated in the common school and academy of the olden time, he was a thorough student, and in his early manhood a -successful teacher and public officer. He immigrated to this County in 1830 with his wife and two children. Having previously selected 16o acres of good land in Franklin, Mr. Blair moved upon it with his family December 1, 183o, and built a log house three miles from the nearest neighbor, and there he lived for several days with the house half roofed, with blankets for doors, mother earth for a floor, and the blue canopy of heaven as a shelter from the storm. On this farm he lived until the day of his death, beautifying and improving his home, an important item of which was the building, in 1848, of the finest residence then in the town of Franklin. In politics he was a Democrat of the old school, a firm behever in equal rights, and an active and earnest advocate of his political and religious views, but tolerant and charitable to the views of others. Elected supervisor of the old town of Tecumseh when it embraced the whole northern part of the County after Franklin was organized into a separate township, he was elected supervisor of the latter town for a series of years, though often a majority were opposed to him politically. In 1841, and again in 1842., he was elected to the state legislature, and served with credit to himself and great usefulness to the community. He was an earnest supporter of the "two-thirds law," for the benefit of debtors, and a firm advocate of the abolition of capital punishment. He peacefully met his death, July 28, 1852, on the farm where he first settled, beloved and lamented by all who knew him.
Philo Wilson, representative from Lenawee County in 1842 and again in 1850, settled in Canandaigua about 1836, and came from the state of New York. He removed to Adrian about 1870, and died there. In politics he was a Democrat.
Guy Carpenter, representative from Lenawee County in 1843, was born in Potsdam, N. Y., December 13, 1809. He received an academical education, studied higher mathematics and civil engineering, and came to Michigan in 1830. He taught school, and from 1832 to 1835 was a farmer, then became a merchant at Blissfield, continuing in that business until his death in 1849. He held the offices of supervisor, justice, and County commissioner. He was an anti-slavery Democrat. As a legislator he drafted the first law for the drainage of swamps, marshes, and other low lands.
Francis H, Hagaman, representative from 'Lenawee County in 1843, settled' as a farmer in Medina about 1834. He came from the state of New York, and in politics he was a Democrat. He died at Medina about 1845.
Jonathan Berry, representative from Lenawee County in 1844, was born in 179o. His parents came from Rhode Island to Rensselaer County, N. Y., where it is thought he was born. He removed with them first to Orleans County, N. Y., then to Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1835, and to Adrian in 1836. He was a soldier of the war of 1812. He finally settled on a farm in Rome, where he died October 20, 1851. He was for one term an associate judge of the circuit court. In politics he was a Democrat.
Ebenezer W. Fairfield was born at Pittsfield, Mass., in 1812. By profession he was a lawyer and in politics a Democrat. He came to Ann Arbor in 1835, but shortly removed to Adrian, where he practiced his profession until his death in August, 1845. He was a representative in 1844.
Oliver Miller, representative from Lenawee County in 1844, resided at Ridgeway, and was in politics a Democrat. He was a brother of Dan. B. Miller, of Monroe, a prominent business man at an early day.
Thomas H. Mosher was born in Union Springs, Cayuga County, New York, October 18, 1815, and lived with his parents until he was about twenty-one years old. He received a common school education, and was one year a student at the Cayuga Academy, at Aurora, N. Y. In 1831 he went into his father's store, as a clerk, and remained there until 1836. In August, 1836, in company with John Hart, he came to Lenawee County and settled in Cambridge. He immediately opened a store in Springville, in company with Mr. Hart, and carried on a general store, under the firm name of Hart & Mosher, until 1848, when the firm was dissolved. In 1840 Hart & Mosher erected a "large store building in Springville, and it was afterward for a long time used as a public hall. In 1856, in company with Ambrose S. Berry, Mr. Mosher built the "Lake Mills," near Springville, and soon after the completion Mr. Mosher purchased the entire property. In 1844 he was a member of the Michigan legislature and served on the Nays and Means Committee. In the years 1843 and 1845 he served as supervisor of the township of Cambridge. In 1838 he was elected clerk of the township and was re-elected for several years. He also served several years as township treasurer. He was always prominent in the township and well-known throughout the County. Ahira G. Eastman, representative from Lenawee County in 1845, was a practicing lawyer at Adrian and came there from the state of New York in 1835. He held the position of master in chancery. During the Mexican war he volunteered and received a heutenant's commission, but resigned from ill health before reaching Mexico. Later he removed to Breedsville, Mich., where he died.
Dr. Henry Wyman was born in Keene, Cheshire County, New Hampshire, April 2, 1803. He was reared on a farm, received his rudimentary education in the common schools, and his academical education at Lowville, N. Y. In 1825 he began the study of medicine at Lockport, N. Y., and in 1832- removed to Anderson, Madison County, Indiana, where he began the practice, and lived there until 1841, when he went to Mississippi and resided until 1843. In that year he removed to Blissfield, where he lived four years, and in 1847 returned to Anderson, Ind., where he remained until 1864, when he again came to Blissfield and engaged in the practice of medicine until he was seventy-five years of age, when he retired. He was at one time postmaster at Blissfield.. Dr. Wyman displayed a master hand in all the pioneer movements in Madison County, Indiana, and on account of his ability and knowledge of the wants of the people, was selected to represent the district of which Madison County was apart in the lower house of the state legislature. Besides this official position he was for many years a justice of the peace in Anderson. In the year 1844 he was elected as a representative of Lenawee County to the Michigan legislature, and drafted and succeeded in having enacted into a law the first bill ever introduced in the United States on the subject of drainage.
John A. Rice, representative from Lenawee County, session 'of 1846, was born in Cambridge, N. Y., November 29, 18o6, and died November 6, 1871. He settled on a farm in Tekonsha, Calhoun County, in 1836, and there he lived until 1842, then removed to Adrian, where, with the exception of two years, he was connected with the Michigan Southern railroad as ticket agent, or general baggage agent, during life.
James H. Sweeney, representative from Lenawee County in 1846, was a physician. He came from the state of New York about 1835, and lived many years at the village of Morenci, where he died.
Daniel H. Deming was born in Sharon, .Litchfield County, Connecticut, September 25, 1804,- and -was the son of Daniel and Cynthia Deming. He lived in Sharon until about the year 1829, when he went to Poughkeepsie, where Mr. Beecher, his brother-in-law (father of the late Robert R. Beecher), was engaged in the hotel business. Mr. Denting was employed as clerk in the hotel and remained there about two years. He then went to Canandaigua and acted as agent for a stage line for a time. In the spring of 1834 he came to Michigan and settled on section 26, in Dover, on the south bank of the lake which now bears his name. He was the first settler in that locality, his nearest neighbor being Samuel Warren, two miles east. He located 16o acres and cleared nearly 100 acres, built a log house and a good barn, and resided there until I86o. He then sold and purchased a farm on section 35, in Rome, where he resided until his death, which occurred April 7, 1871. During his residence in Dover he served the township for nine years as supervisor, besides holding the office of assessor one term and justice of the peace four years. In 1846 he was elected a member of the legislature, and during the controversy of 1847-48 in regard to the removal of the state capitol from Detroit to Lansing he took an active part, favoring the change, because, as he said, "the Detroit folks are controlling the state, and will continue to do so as long as the capitol remains there." He was re-elected in 1848 and was a member when the capitol at Lansing was dedicated. He often in after life related his trip to Lansing to attend the first session there. He took a stage as far as Ypsilanti, where an ox team and sleigh were engaged to take him and his companions a certain distance, when they walked into the village. During the session of 1848-49 he took up 16o acres of land, which is now mostly within the limits of the city of Lansing. In the fall of 1846, while hunting deer with a party, he was shot, the ball passing through his body, a distance of eleven inches, but he recovered from the wound. In 1850 he was a candidate for state senator, and would have been elected had it not been for certain men in his own party (who had sought the nomination) bolting and working against him at the polls.
Thomas J. Faxon was born in Whitesboro, Oneida County, New York, August 25, 1803, and represented the seventh generation of the Faxoli family in the United States. He was brought up on a farm, but learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for several years. He came to Michigan in the summer of 1834 and worked at his trade in Detroit for some time. As he was able to make plans and construct buildings his services were in demand, but he soon removed to Manchester, in Washtenaw County, where Eastern friends had settled. In October, 1835, he purchased of the government eighty acres of land on section 13 in Raisin, this County, where he resided for about thirty years. He soon cleared up his original purchase, and added to his holdings from time to time until his farm consisted of 355 acres. He served several terms as supervisor of Raisin Township, and in 1846 was elected a member of the Michigan legislature, serving one term. In 186o he left his farm and moved to Adrian, purchasing a home on West Maumee street, which he soon afterward disposed of to T. J. Tobey for the old, Judge Rickey farm, on section 28, in Adrian township. After a year or two he again purchased a home on Scott street, in Adrian, and engaged in merchandising with his sons, continuing some four years. About this time he purchased a large tract of land near Topeka, Kan. He died at his home on Scott street, Adrian, April 25, 1875.
John 1V. Turner, representative from Lenawee County in 1847 and again in 1849, was born in Putney, Vt., in 1818. By profession he was a lawyer. He came to Hudson in 1841, and later removed to Coldwater, where he resided the remainder of his life. He was a Democrat until 1854, after which time he was a Republican. He was the first Republican nominee for heutenant-governor, but declined in favor of Coe. As a public speaker and legal advocate he always stood high in southern Michigan. He published a volume of poems of considerable merit.
Sylvester Walker, representative from Lenawee County in 1847, was a hatter in Norwich, N. Y., in 18r3. He settled in Cambridge in 1838, opened a hotel at the junction of the Chicago and La Plaisance Bay turnpikes, erected fine buildings, where many a weary traveler found a genial place of rest. In politics he was a Democrat. He died Dec; 28, 1868.
Davis D. Bennett was born in Tioga (now Chemung) County, New York, March 25, 1808. He left his parents at the age of sixteen, and worked on a farm and at lumbering until the fall of 1828, when he came to Michigan. He continued to reside in Adrian until the fall of 1829, when he returned to Orleans County, New York, where he was married. In the spring of 1830 he came back to Michigan and located eighty acres of land on section 33, in Adrian Township. He lived on this farm one year, and then sold it to Harry Wood. One year later he purchased 16o acres of land on section 29, in Adrian Township; this land he sold to John Raymond in 1837, and the same year purchased 220 acres on sections 9 and 16, in Fairfield, where he resided until 1868, when he sold out to his son, Stillman 1V. Bennett, and afterward resided in Fairfield village.
After removing to Fairfield, township he held various offices of honor and trust, including supervisor for four terms, justice of the peace four terms, and town clerk about fifteen terms. In 1847 he was elected a member of the Michigan legislature, and as such was present at the dedication of the first capitol building in the city of Lansing.
Elihu L. Clark was born in Walworth, Ontario (now Wayne) County, New York, July 18, 18I7. At the age of nineteen he commenced business as a clerk in a dry goods store at Palmyra, N. Y., and this he continued until the year 1832, when he commenced business there for himself, continuing the same until the year 1835, when he sold out to a Mr. Jackson for $I,ooo. He then immediately went to New York and invested all his means in goods and shipped them to Adrian, where he opened a small store on Main street, selling goods exclusively for cash. From about the year 1838 to 11842, he invested considerable means in the purchase of what was then called State warrants, and State scrip, which he bought at a' discount, thereby making quite a profitable investment, as he soon afterward realized par value for the same. He continued the dry goods trade until about the year 1847, when he sold out to his brother, John R. Clark, and thereafter he was engaged in loaning money. He was elected to the Michigan legislature in the year 1847 and served one term. When the Lenawee County Savings Bank was organized he was elected president of the institution and served in that capacity for several years, finally resigning in consequence of poor health.
David B. Dennis, representative from Lenawee County in 1848 and again in 1850, was born in Farmington, N. Y., June 12, 1817. By occupation he was an attorney and banker, and politically he was a Democrat. He came to Michigan with his father's family in 1827, and settled at Adrian. He resided at Adrian for twenty-five years and then removed to Coldwater, where he lived the remainder of his life. He was a leader in the Democratic Party, and was repeatedly its candidate for state and other offices.
William McNair was born in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, January I, i8oo. He immigrated to Michigan in 1826, became a merchant at Tecumseh, and afterward a farmer. In politics he was a Democrat and he was a representative in 1849.
Jabez S. Mosher, representative from 'Lenawee County in 1849, was born in Springport, N. Y., and came from there to Jackson's Mills, now known as Addison, about 1840. In politics he was a Democrat. He died about 1856.
Daniel S. Wilkinson was born in the state of New York in 1813.
He came from Albion,- N. Y.; to Adrian in 1834, and there resided until his death, May 24, 1875. His business was that of loaning money. In politics he was a Democrat and he was a representative in 1849.
Noah K. Green was born in Windsor, Berkshire County, Mass., December 24, 1808. He was reared and educated in his native County, and there he lived until June; 1835, when he came to Michigan. He settled in Medina, this County, purchasing 28o acres of land on sections 25 and 36. He-assisted in organizing the township of Medina in 1837, and in 1842 he was elected supervisor, serving in that capacity for seven years. He was again elected in 1852, serving one year, and in 1859 he was elected and served two years. In 1849 he was elected to the Michigan legislature and was re-elected in i86o and 1862. He died at his home in Medina, May 8, 1886.
Frederick A. Kennedy, Sr., was born in England, Dec. 27, 1785. He came to America in I8I7, and resided in Pennsylvania and New York until 1831, when he removed to Michigan, settling in Lenawee County in what was afterwards called Ridgeway. He was a cooper by trade, but after coming to Michigan followed farming principally. In politics he was a Democrat, and in 1850 was a representative in the legislature. In 1857 he removed to Jackson, where he resided until his death, February 26, 1872.
Elias J. Baldwin, representative from Lenawee County in 1851, came from Berkshire County, Massachusetts, to Morenci, about 1834. He lived at Morenci until he died, being at the time of his death over eighty years of age. In politics he was first a Whig and then a Republican.
Augustus W. Childs, representative, session of 1851, was born in the state of New York in 1814. He came to Michigan in 1836 .and resided the greater part of the remainder of his life at Hudson. He was supervisor, town clerk, and held other offices. By occupation he was a farmer, and politically he was a Republican.
George Crane was a native of Massachusetts, and was born March 31, 1783. In early manhood he became a pioneer settler in Wayne County, New York, where he continued to reside until his removal to Michigan in May, 1833. Upon his arrival in Lenawee County, he located on section 18 in what is now the township of Palmyra, where he entered upon and cleared the farm upon which he resided until his death, April 17, 1856. In the time when the commissioner plan of County government was in vogue be served as one of the commissioners of Lenawee County, and afterward served as supervisor and represented the County one term in the legislature.
He was one of the commissioners who took part in locating the Erie & Kalamazoo railroad, which was the pioneer road in the West, and he was one of the directors of that road until his death. For some years he acted as president of the company, and was also civil engineer in building the road.
Henry Darling, representative from Lenawee County in 1851, emigrated from the state. of New York to Macon township, where the died. In politics he was a Whig.
Sewell S. Goff was born in Royalston, Mass., January 29, 1811. When a young man he went to Niagara County, New York, and lived at Lewiston until 1829, when he came to Michigan. He settled on section 29, in Blissfield, where he ever after resided. He died January 23, 1865. He was a heutenant in the Black. Hawk war, and served as representative from Lenawee County in 1853.
Nelson Green, representative from Lenawee County in 1853, senator from Muskegon County in 1861-2, and form Oceana County in 1863-4, was born in Wayne County, New York, May 29, 1803. He was married in 1826, and lived in Otto, N. Y., from 1826 to 1847, when he settled in Rollin, Lenawee County. He was a member of the New York legislature of 1838, and a member of the Michigan constitutional convention of 185o. By occupation he was a farmer and surveyor, and politically he was first a Whig and then a Republican. He removed to Oceana County in 1856, was for many years County surveyor and did a large amount of surveying in Oceana and Muskegon counties. He was judge of probate for Oceana County. He removed to Addison, Lenawee County, in 1879, and he died at that place.
Robert R. Beecher, representative from Lenawee County in 1855, was a leading lawyer at Adrian, and was a law partner of Judge Cooley and of Hon. F. C. Beaman. He was a leading Republican in the early history of the party. He was a good lawyer, and was honored with various County offices. He held the office of judge of probate from 1861 until his death in 1871. He died in the prime of manhood.
Hiram S. Eddy was born in Clarendon, Rutland County, Vermont, June 6, 18x2. He was brought up a farmer, and afterward worked at the carpenter's trade. His education was confined to a few terms in a district school. At the age of fifteen he commenced to work by the month, which he followed until he came to Michigan, in the year 1832. At this time he was twenty years old, and for a year or more he worked at carpentry or on a farm. When he first came, he took up some land in Palmyra, but soon afterward sold it and purchased the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section i and the north part of the east half of the southeast quarter of section 2, in Fairfield, where he resided the remainder of his life. In the spring of 1837 he was elected constable and collector, which office he held for seven or eight years. In 1848 he was elected supervisor of Fairfield, which office he afterward held, at different times, for about, eight years. In 1855 he was a member of the house of representatives of the Michigan legislature. Beginning in 1848, he undoubtedly administered on more estates and settled more heirship property than any other man in the southern portion of the County. In 1867 he purchased a large farm in Butler County, Iowa, and commenced farming there on quite a large scale. In 1873 his wheat crop amounted to nearly 6,000 bushels.
James H. Parker was born September 2, 1803, in Masonville. Delaware County, New York. He lived with his parents until he was twenty-one years old, and received a common school education, finished by a three months' -term at an academy. He usually worked at farming and lumbering while at home, except during the winters after he was seventeen, when he taught school and "boarded 'round." After arriving at his, majority he worked at the carpenter and joiner's trade a part of his time during the following ten years. When eighteen years old he was enrolled in the state militia, and at the first drill was elected fourth corporal; and by regular gradation and election was made captain of the company eight years afterward. He served in that position two years and then resigned. In the spring of 1833 he came to Michigan and located the southwest quarter of section 14, in the present township of Rome, and at once built a shanty and kept bachelor's hall. During the summer and fall he built a log dwelling house, chopped six acres, cleared two, and sowed it with wheat. In the month of November he re' turned to Masonville and found the same school district, which had employed him four preceding terms, ready to employ him again. He taught that school during the winter. The following summer he again came to Michigan, this time with his family, and settled on his land. In company with John B. Schureman he built a saw mill that, like many other mills, accommodated the neighborhood but yielded no profit to the proprietors. - At a meeting held late in 1834 to petition the legislative council to organize the township Mr. Parker took a prominent part, was a member of the committee appointed to, select a name for the township, and he cast the deciding vote in favor of the name-Rome. He later sold his interest in the saw mill to a neighbor and gave his attention to his farm. Unfortunately, in August, 1835, while logging, one of his oxen got a leg broken, and he immediately found employment and ready pay at Palmyra, on Mr. Pomeroy's flouring mill, then in progress of erection, and he moved to that place with his family and labored six months. The flouring mill being finished, he worked several months on Tiffany & Crane's saw-mill at Palmyra. That also being finished, Mr. Parker and another man took all the bridges to build (except one called Foster's bridge) on the Palmyra & Jacksonburg railroad, as it was then called, between Palmyra and Clinton, a major part of the work only having been completed when he was attacked by ague. Sickness, railroad promises and checks unredeemed, "wild-cat" money, and a tax deed on his farm, fraudulently obtained, wiped out all his savings of three years' labor, and he returned to his farm with no capital but his axe, plane, and lever, out of health, and as poor as when he left it, but he was not discouraged and was full of hope, notwithstanding his bad fortune. During the following eleven years he added by exchange of unimproved lands, twenty-five acres of improved land adjoining his quarter section, and- he improved fifty acres of the latter tract, making in all 185 acres in the farm and 100 acres improved, built a good frame house and barn, purchased and paid for a good horse team and three cows, raised some young cattle and about 100 sheep. He lived on his farm in Rome about thirty years, selling out in 1863, after which time he lived four years in the city of Adrian, where he built a house; six years in Raisin, and then in Adrian township until his death. During Mr. Parker's residence in Rome he served six years as supervisor of the township and six years as justice of the peace. He was also a school director for nine years. He served as a member of the house of representatives of the Michigan legislature in 1855, the same being the first Republican legislature in Michigan. As a member he offered the following resolutions, which were adopted: "Resolved, That the exclusion of the `female sex' of our state from the benefits of a liberal education in the State University, which is created and endowed by the common treasury, is unjust, and furnishes a just occasion of complaint on their part, and abundantly authorizes the numerous petitions now before the house calling for large expenditures to erect a separate college for their education. Resolved, that the committee on education be instructed to inquire into the expediency of providing by law for the education of youth without distinction of sex in the State University." On January 29, 1855, Mr. Parker, pursuant to previous notice, introduced a bill, which was passed, to "prohibit the use of the common jails and other public buildings in the several counties in this state for the detention of persons claimed as fugitive slaves." While a bill for the establishment of an "Agricultural School" was under discussion, he moved that a department of "Domestic Economy" be included, and that provision be made for the instruction of persons without distinction of sex. A bill to establish a "Female College" being considered, he moved that the president, professors, and teachers should be women, and that there should be a department of "Medicine and Obstetrics." He also introduced a bill giving mothers the exclusive custody of their infant children, unless cause be shown. He was a prominent, earnest, and consistent Abolitionist, and he, with his wife, in the slavery days, helped through several fugitives who came along on the "underground railroad."
Judge Alexander R. Tiffany was born in Niagara, Canada, October i6, 1796, and made his way to the Territory of Michigan in the fall of 1832. He settled in Palmyra, this County, which place it was then beheved would eventually become a large city. Two years later he was appointed prosecuting attorney of Lenawee County, and in 1836 he was elected judge of the probate court, -which office he held eight years, and of which he was the second incumbent; he was also judge of the County court two terms. Judge Tiffany was a man of giant intellect, a learned lawyer and a conscientious attorney; he became prominent in the politics of Southern Michigan and was a member of the Constitutional convention of 1850. Four years later he was elected to the Michigan legislature and appointed chairman of the judiciary committee. He wrote and studied beyond his strength, and during those memorable years wrote and published “Tiffany's Justice Guide" and "Tiffany's Criminal Law," which are today considered of great practical value in justice's courts, and to practicing attorneys generally in the state. He never enjoyed robust health, owing probably to his unremitting labors, and he died at Palmyra, January 14, 1868, when seventy-two years old.
Dr. Henry P. Combs was born in Onondaga County, New York, June. 19, 1820. His father dying when Henry was quite young, the latter lived with his mother until he was eighteen years old, attending the district schools, and came with her to Michigan in 1838. About the year 1840 he commenced the study of medicine, followed it closely, and after graduation at the Cleveland, Ohio, Medical College, in 1845, he began the practice of medicine in Rome Township, this County. He at once became very successful and-popular in his profession, which he faithfully followed until 1865, when he retired from active practice. In politics he was first a Whig, but became a Republican after 1854. In 1856 he was elected to the Michigan legislature, and in 1862 he was re-elected to the same body. He served as school inspector and township clerk for several terms, and was County superintendent of the poor for thirteen years. Dr. Combs died January 1, 1895.
Barzilla J. Harvey was born in Ontario County, New York, September 29, i8o8. He came to Michigan in 1832 and purchased lands in Adrian, which property be occupied until his death, September 25, 1863. In politics he was a Republican, and he was representative in the legislature of 1857.
John R. Clark was a native of the state of New York, and was born in Ontario township, Ontario County, which township is now known as Walworth, and the County as Wayne, on September 4, 1822. He lived with his father until he was about fifteen years old, and attended a district school in his native state. He came to Michigan with his parents in 1836, and resided in Adrian ever after. He was graduated in Adrian in 184o, at Brewster's Select School, in the building afterward owned by W. A. Whitney and occupied as a residence. In 1840 he entered his brother's store as a clerk and remained until 1845, when he became a partner in the business and remained until 1847, in which year he bought his brother's interest. In the fall of 1847 he erected a brick store on Maumee street, in which he carried on general merchandising until 1853, when his health failed. He then sold out to Col. L. F. Comstock and A. H. Wood, and purchased and moved upon the Pease farm on section 10, in Madison Township. During the years 1854 and 1855 he erected the finest farm house in the County. In 1855 he formed a partnership with A. H. Wood, and embarked in the dry goods business, which they continued until 1859, when he bought out his partner's interest and carried on the business until 1863, then closed out and gave his attention to farming and stock dealing. In .1866 Mr. Clark became interested in the erection of the Madison Cheese Factory, and was its president and manager for three years. He was selected supervisor of Madison Township for five years. In 1858 he was elected a member of the house of representatives of the Michigan legislature, and was chairman of the Committee on Mines and Mi1ierals, and served on four other committees. In 1874 he sold his farm to A. H. Russell, and moved to the city of Adrian, where he resided the remainder of his life. In 1871 he engaged in the wholesale cheese business with Henry F. Shattuck, and afterward engaged in packing pork. In 1877 Clark & Shattuck admitted to the firm as a partner Lafayette Ladd, and continued until 1878, when E. L. Baker was admitted, and the firm of Clark, Baker & Co. entered upon a prosperous career in the wholesale provision, cheese, and pork packing business. In 1875 Mr. Clark was elected alderman of the Fourth ward of Adrian, and was re-elected in 1877. Politically, he was in early life an old-line Whig, and cast his first presidential vote for Henry Clay. After the organization of the Republican Party he affiliated with it, and gave it his warmest and most earnest support.
Orson Green was a native of Palmyra, Ontario (now Wayne) County, New York, where he was born on March 5, 1812. He continued on the home farm until reaching his majority, receiving his education in the public schools, while. he inherited in a marked degree the intelligence and decided traits of character of both parents. On April 1o, 1833, he left the Empire State, and landed in the Territory of Michigan on May 6 following, having walked the entire distance, stopping first near the embryo town of Palmyra. Thence a few days later he repaired to Adrian, and after traveling about in this County a few weeks, returned to Detroit and took a steamer for Buffalo, landing a few days later in Cattaratlgus County, New York. In May of the following year he started again for his proposed new home. Leaving his newly wedded wife at Van Buren, Wayne County, he came to Rollin township and took up 24o acres of government land, being one of the first men to locate permanently in that section. , He cleared a spot large enough for a cabin and garden, then returned to Van Buren for his wife, and they made their home with their nearest neighbor until the fall, when Mr. Green put tip a log house, into which they removed before it was provided -with either a floor or a window. Mr. Green was justice of the peace in Rollin Township before its organization or the admission of the Territory into the Union as a State, the election being authorized by the governor. He held this office for a period of twenty years and finally refused to become a candidate. He was elected supervisor in the spring of I845, and in this capacity he served six years in succession and was afterward elected twice to the same office, serving in all eleven or twelve years. He was assessor several terms, and in 1858 was first elected to the state legislature and thereafter re-elected in 1870, being a member of that body for a period of four years. He assisted in the building of the first church in Rollin Township, in 1868, and with his estimable lady was a member in good standing of the Methodist Episcopal church for many years. He cast his first presidential vote for William Wirt, and was an old-line Whig until the organization of the Republican Party, when he gave his cordial support to the latter.
Jabez Perkins representative from Lenawee County in 1859, was born in Defiance, Ohio, October 26, 1820. He received an academical education at Delaware, studied medicine, and graduated at Cleveland in 1849. He practiced medicine at Springville, this County, for ten years, but in 186o removed to Owasso. He took charge of a hospital at Nashville in 1862, became a surgeon of Kentucky volunteers, medical director of the Second army corps, and then medical director of the Cavalry corps, Army of the Cumberland. In politics he was first a Whig, and then a Republican.
Peter Sharp, representative from Lenawee County in 1859, was born at Willsborough, N. Y., May 14, 1812. His father moved to the Genesee valley, and later to Franklin County, Ohio, and the son became a traveling minister in 1832, by admission to the Ohio conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, then including nearly all the territory of Michigan. After twenty-one years service as a minister, he settled at Ridgeway, Lenawee County, as a retail dealer in drugs and groceries. A Whig until 1854, he then became a Republican. He was thirty years postmaster, also a justice.
Israel S. I-lodges, representative from Lenawee County in 1861-62, was born in Onondaga County, New York, June 29, i8oi. By occupation he was a farmer and lumberman, and in politics a Republican. He came to Michigan in 1835, and had his residence in Ogden Township.
George L. Crane came to Michigan territory with his parents in the summer of 1833. He was born November 20, 18to, and remained under the home roof until twenty-four years of age, receiving a liberal education, and learning surveying of his father, while becoming familiar with farm pursuits. He was twenty-three years of age when he came with the family to this County, and in 1835 he started out for himself, locating on a tract of land in Madison Township. For twenty years he followed surveying, using his father's compass and outfit, while he invested his surplus capital in real estate, and at one tithe was the owner of 1,000 acres of land. In 1842 he was elected supervisor of Madison township, serving three terms, and was several times elected County surveyor, but never qualified. He was elected to the Michigan legislature in 1862 and served one term.
Hiram Raymond was born in the township of Cohocton. Steuben County, New York, January 4, 1818. He came to Michigan with his parents in 1833 and continued to follow farming in Raisin township until the spring of 1868, when he removed to the village of Tecumseh and there spent the remainder of his life. Upon his removal to Tecumseh he engaged in the manufacture of agricultural implements, the firm being McConnell, Raymond & Company. At one time during the Civil war Mr. Raymond was drafted, but poor health prevented his serving. He beheved that $300 would serve his country better than himself, and cheerfully paid that amount to assist in suppressing the Southern uprising. He was elected supervisor of Raisin Township in the year 1859, and held the position two years. In the fall of 11862 he was elected to the Michigan legislature, and held that position for one term. After he moved to Tecumseh he was elected justice of the peace, which position he held four years, commencing July 4, 1873, and ending July 4, i877
William II. Osborne was born in Ovid, Seneca County, New York, October 29, 1814. He received a good education, pursuing his studies at Ovid Academy, and Lima and Cazenovia seminaries. He employed his leisure hours in the perusal of instructive books, and after leaving school was engaged as a teacher three winters in his native state, one winter in Maumee, Ohio, and one winter after coming to this County. Upon coming to Michigan in 1830, his father located on the south half of section 20, in Macon township, which farm he operated nine years, and in 11839 turned it over to William H., who retained possession of it until he removed to the village of Tecumseh, about 1881. In the meantime he cleared and improved 22o acres, and erected a large frame house with two or three commodious barns, besides two tenement houses; he also purchased another farm on section 21. In addition to the labor and responsibility involved in looking after these extensive interests, at the solicitation of his townsmen he served as justice of the peace, school inspector, highway commissioner, and town clerk. The fidelity with which he discharged the duties of these various positions, naturally resulted in his election to the higher office of a state legislator. In 1864 he was elected a member of the Michigan legislature, re-elected to the position in r866, and served on several important committees. He attended the convention at Pittsburg, when John P. Hale was nominated for President, and he stood bravely up under the stigma of being called an Abolitionist, casting one of the first three votes polled in Macon Township against the perpetuation of human bondage. Subsequently he became a Free-Soiler, and finally a Republican, the principles of which party he upheld through sunshine and storm during the remainder of his life.
Walter Robinson was born in Wayne County, New York, December 17, i8i8. He started out for himself in life at the age of thirteen, clerking in a store until he was twenty-three years old, and obtained his education by attending school out of office hours. After his marriage he worked his father-in-law's farm three years, when, in 1846, he struck out for the great West, and coming to the city of Adrian, was engaged in the livery business eight or nine years, during which time he also operated a United States mail route. He then opened a book and jewelry store, which he carried on four years, and then, in 1858, traded for a home, consisting of 16o acres of land in Adrian Township. Politically he was an ardent Republican, and was always an active worker in the interests of his party. In 1867 he served one term as a member of the Michigan legislature, and for years he was prominent in the various meetings and conventions of his party. He had a wide acquaintance throughout the state, having traveled one year with the Michigan State Insurance Company. He was deputy revenue collector during 1863 and 1864.
Benjamin L. Baxter was born in Sidney Plains, Delaware County, New York, April 7, 1815. He accompanied his parents to Michigan in 1831, first locating at Tecumseh and six years later at White Pigeon. He remained in the latter place until the fall of 1840, when he left for Dartmouth College, New Hampshire, and remained there until the fall of 1843. He then returned to Tecumseh to take charge of the Tecumseh branch of the Michigan University; where he remained three years, in the meantime studying law with Hon. Perley Bills. He was admitted to the bar, and the same year became the law partner of Mr. Bills, and remained so for twentyfive years. In the year 1871, Mr. Bills withdrew from practice, when Mr. Baxter formed a partnership with Edwin S. Ormsby, then of Deerfield, which co-partnership lasted for about three years, when Mr. Ormsby went to Illinois. Mr.. Baxter -was elected Regent of .the Michigan University for six years, from 1858 to 1863, and in 1868 he was elected representative in the legislature, and served one term.
Archer H. Crane, representative from Lenawee County in 1869-7o and 1871-2, was born in Onondaga County, New York, March 30, 1821. By occupation he was a farmer and in politics a Republican. He held the office of supervisor ten years. He settled in Freedom, Washtenaw County, in 1834, but in the '6os removed to Lenawee County, locating at Hudson.
Jacob Walton, representative from Lenawee County in 1869-70-1-2-3-4, was born in Buckingham, Pa., Feb. lo, 1818. He received a common school education. In 1834 he immigrated to Michigan and settled in Saline, and in 185r he moved to Raisin, Lenawee County, where he resided the remainder of his life. By occupation he was a farmer, and in politics he was a Republican.
Cornelius Knapp was a native of Nassau, Rensselaer County, New York, and was born June 12, 1824. He made his home with his father's family, and was brought up to the life of a farmer until he had reached the age of twenty-five years, receiving his education in a log school house, built in the primitive fashion, which stood but a short distance from his father's house. At the age of nineteen years, having a natural genius for mechanics, he adopted the trade of a carpenter, working the first year for eleven dollars a month, and the next for one dollar a day. This business he followed for some twelve years, when, in 1849, he purchased a farm on section 18, in Rome Township, on which he removed in 1851, and where he ever after made his home. He was always a Republican in politics and took a prominent part in the local councils of that party. Being a man in whose prudence and ability the community had confidence, in 1865 he was elected as the member of the County board of supervisors from the township of Rome, and remained in that office for eleven consecutive years. At the expiration of that time he went to California with his wife for a little recreation, and returning the following year, was re-elected as representative on the board of supervisors, and was retained in this office five years more. Growing in popularity throughout the County as he became better known, in 187o he was elected member of the house of representatives of the Michigan legislature, and for two years occupied a seat amid that august body.
Le Grand J. Smith, representative from Lenawee County in 1873-4, was born in Bethel, Conn. , Jan. 8, 1837. He received a common school education. In 1839 he settled in Somerset, Hillsdale County, and in 1859 he removed to Woodstock, Lenawee County, where he spent the remainder of his life. In business he was a merchant.
Charles Brown was born in Cayuga County, New York, Jan. 8, r8o8. He remained under the parental roof until twenty years of age, assisting as duty demanded, and receiving an excellent education at the public schools. He then commenced teaching, and was engaged in that profession for a period aggregating ten winters and three summers. In the intervening time and subsequently, he was employed in various occupations, remaining a citizen of Cayuga County until the fall of 183o. He subsequently resided in Genesee, Livingston, and Wyoming counties, and in 1851 he went to Wisconsin, where he spent the winter. In the following spring he came to Lenawee County and found employment as a clerk in Medina, which position he held one year, and during the next six months he was engaged in mercantile business in Newaygo County. A year and a half later he formed a partnership with Baxter Lyon, and under the firm name of Lyon & Brown, carried on a large mercantile trade in Medina. He continued in business there until 1882, when he sold out, and thereafter lived a comparatively retired life. In Medina Township he served twenty-four and one-half years as postmaster, and as township clerk fourteen years, while for three years he was County superintendent of the poor. In the fall of 1874 he was elected to the House of Representatives, and served acceptably two years. He was instrumental in putting through a measure in the house for the rehef of Mary J. McDermott, an orphan girl who lived in Lenawee County, and who was about to be defrauded of her rights in an estate. Mr. Brown was notary public for a period of thirty-two years. He was a strong Republican, courageously and fearlessly upholding the principles promulgated by that organization.
Danforth Keyes, representative from Lenawee County in 1875, was born in Ashford, Conn., May 27, 1816. He received a common school education, removed to Clinton, this County, in 1836, and resided there the remainder of his life. He was supervisor of Tecumseh in 1863-64-65, and after the division of the town in 1869 was supervisor of Clinton in 1869-70. He was engaged in the milling business, and also as a grain dealer. In politics he was a Democrat.
Marshall Reed was born in Richmond, Ontario County, New York, August 21, 1833. He lived with his parents on the farm until he was twenty-one years old, and in 1854 he came to Michigan and settled on section 33, in Rome. He served eleven years as justice of the peace, and held other township offices. He was a Republican in politics, and was elected to the state legislature in 1874. In 1866 he sold his farm in Rome and purchased another on section 34, in Cambridge Township, where he resided at the time of his death, which occurred Dec. 16, 1881.
Alfred D. Hall was born in the town of Byron, Genesee County, New York, Jan. 6, 1824. He came with his father to this state in 1845, and purchased a tract of land adjoining that of his father in Calhoun County. This he cleared from the heavy timber and occupied it until the winter of 1853-54, when he sold out and purchased a homestead in Tecumseh Township the farm being pleasantly located one and one-half miles northeast of the village, and his family took possession in the spring of 1854. Mr. Hall served as justice of the peace in Calhoun County, and after his removal to Tecumseh Township he was elected president and treasurer of the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company, of which he was one of the original incorporators, and he held the position for ten or twelve years. Subsequently he served as secretary, and for a number of years continued on the board of directors. He was president of the Lenawee Agricultural Society for five years, and held the office of supervisor six years, during one year of which he was chairman of the board. He had now amply distinguished himself as a man of more than ordinary ability, and in the fall of 1876 he was elected a representative to the Michigan legislature, and re-elected in 1878. He cast his first presidential vote in 1848, and continued with the old Whig party until the organization of the Republican Party, after which time he gave his support to Republican principles.
Jacob C. Sawyer, representative from Lenawee County in 1877, was born Dec. 26, 1822, in Manchester, N. Y.; removed to Ashtabula County, Ohio; was admitted to practice law in that state in 1848; removed to Lenawee County in 1853, and engaged in farming in the township of Medina. He was a graduate of the law department of the University of Michigan of the class of 1861, and he was a member of the constitutional convention of 1867.
William Corbin first saw the light in Nichols, Tioga County, New York, July 30, 1825, and lived at hone until he was fifteen years of age, receiving only a common-school education. At that age he went to Burlington Flats, Otsego County, New York, to learn wagon-making, but being dissatisfied with the treatment he received he remained only one year, when he went to Chittenango, where he worked for his board during one winter and attended school. In the spring of 1843 he went to Buffalo, and thence by steamer to Detroit, where he landed about July 1. From Detroit he went to Dundee, Monroe County, where Mr. Dunham, a brother of his step-father, resided, and there he engaged at farm labor. He afterward worked on the Michigan Southern Railroad for some time, and then we find him running a grist and saw mill which he had leased and was operating successfully at Dundee. In 1847 he entered the mercantile business, opening a general store at Petersburg, and continued at merchandising for about fifteen years. While there, he bought the water-power and mill property at Petersburg, in company with John W. Conlogue, and operated it for several years. He was also postmaster for twelve years at Petersburg, receiving his appointment from President Pierce. He at one time owned about 2,000 acres of land in Monroe County. a part of which consisted of valuable farms. He was the first station agent appointed at Petersburg by the Michigan Southern Railroad Company, and held the position about fifteen years. He was township clerk, justice of the peace twelve years, and supervisor three terms. He was elected state senator in 1862, and was a member of the constitutional convention in 1867. He lived in Petersburg until 1872, when he removed to the city of Adrian, where he resided the remainder of his life. He was one of the original incorporators of the Adrian Paper Mill Company, and was its president seven years. He subsequently engaged in the hardware business, and finally became a member of the Adrian Packing Company. he was a member of the board of education for a number of years, three years of which he was secretary. He was elected a member of the house of representatives in 188o from the Second district of Lenawee County, which was strongly Republican, he being the only Democrat elected in a period of more than twenty years. He was elected mayor of the city of Adrian in 1882 and again in 1883. He also occupied the position of member of the Board of Control for six years, receiving his appointment from Governor Begole.
Guernsey P. Blaring was born on section 9 in the township of Ridgeway, Aug. 31, 1852. He had the advantage of a good practical education, and after being graduated at the high school in Tecumseh, he began to turn his attention to business. In 1874 he succeeded his brother in the undertaking business which the latter had established at Ridgeway, and he conducted it in a successful manner. He purchased land approximate to the village, and later, to add to the general interest of the place, he erected a good, large double store building, and a beautiful brick residence upon pleasant grounds. He made himself a public-spirited character, and in the fall of 188o was selected by the Republicans of the First district to represent this County in the state legislature, the duties of which office he performed to the credit of himself and his constituents. He was of decided Prohibition principles, and was soon placed on the Committee on Liquor Traffic, in which committee he was a prominent figure. By his investigations while thus engaged in his duties in the state legislature, he became more and more an advocate of the principles of temperance and the suppression of the whisky traffic, and when he returned home he championed the cause of the Prohibition party, and always voted with it. Some years ago Mr. Waring removed to Chicago, Ill., and there engaged in the real estate business.
David A. Bixby was born in Adrian, Sept. 24, 1854. He graduated in the Adrian high school in 187o, and also in the literary department of Michigan University in the year -1875. He read law for a time in Adrian, and was soon elected city recorder, being three times re-elected to the same office. He served as representative in the legislature during the session of 1883, and held other positions, elective and appointive. In the fall of 1884 he was elected to the office of County clerk, and he was the first Democratic clerk ever elected in the County. He now lives in St. Louis, Mo., where he is connected with the American Car and Foundry Company. He removed to that place soon after the expiration of his term as County clerk.
John U. Harkness, representative from Lenawee County in 1883, was born in Raisin Township, May 12, 1840. In 1848 he settled with his parents in Rollin Township, where he spent the greater part of his life. He received a common-school education, with two or three terms at Friends' seminary, near Adrian. He learned the carriage-maker's trade, which business he carried on several years. In 1879 he engaged in farming. He filled various township offices, and was supervisor three years. After retiring from the office of representative in the state legislature he became superintendent and treasurer of Earlham College, at Richmond, Ind. In politics he was a Republican.
Dr. William B. Town was born in Norwich, Oxford County, Dominion of Canada, July 23, 1830. He pursued his early studies in the district school and subsequently attended the schools at Jackson, Mich., during the winter season, his parents having migrated to Michigan in the fall of 1838. He commenced reading medicine under the instruction of Dr. 1-1. Powers, of Rollin, when some twenty-one years of age, and took a two-years' course in the medical department of Michigan University. Aside from the practice of his profession he lent his aid to those enterprises calculated for the general good of the community, serving in the local offices, and for a period of seventeen years-he was postmaster at Geneva; this office he finally resigned. He was school director for a period of seven years, and in 1884 was elected a member of the state legislature. During his services at the capital he was on various important committees, especially those concerning the public health and industrial school for girls at Adrian. He always voted the straight Democratic ticket.
Selah H. Raymond was born in Rollin Township, Aug. 31, 1840. His early life was passed on the homestead, where he was carefully trained in principles of truth, honesty, and perseverance. The year succeeding his father's death, which occurred while the future legislator was still in his boyhood, he worked by the month in Franklin township. Subsequently, he bought out his father's heirs, and afterward purchased more land as his means justified, until he had acquired a farm of a1o acres, the tilling part being adapted to the raising of all cereals. Politically, Mr. Raymond was a Republican with strong temperance ideas, and for a time voted the Prohibition ticket. He held the position of highway commissioner, to which office he was elected in 1876, serving three terms, and in 1879 he was elected township clerk and served until 1882. For five years he was supervisor of the township, and during the year 1886 was chairman of the board, and for a great many years he was connected with the schools in an official capacity. Every scheme for benefiting the public he assisted, and he was largely instrumental in getting the Cincinnati, Jackson & Mackinaw Railroad through the township, while he also aided in getting the Michigan & Ohio Railroad through the northern part of the County. In I89o he was elected a member of the Michigan legislature, was re-elected in 1892, and served two terms.
Horace Holdridge was a native of Raisin Township, and was born on Aug. 28, 1840. He was reared as farmer boys usually are, on the farm of his father, and passed through the common schools of the district in which he lived, acquiring habits of industry and study. At a proper age he was placed as a student in Adrian College, and was among the first to enter there after the completion of the present college building. He adopted farming as an occupation and followed it during the greater part of an active career. He was a Democrat in his political principles, and for many years was the supervisor of Raisin Township. In 1892 he was elected a member of the Michigan legislature and served one term.
An act of the first state legislature, approved March 14, 1836, provided that "There shall be elected on the first Monday of November, next, and on the following day, and in every succeeding two years, thereafter, in each of the organized counties in this state, a sheriff, County clerk, County treasurer, County surveyor, a register of deeds, and two coroners, who shall respectively hold their offices for the term of two years." The act also provided 'for a probate judge, to hold office for four years, and two associate justices of the circuit court, to be elected for four years. The burning of the court house in 1852, and the neglect of the early newspaper publishers to carefully preserve the files of their papers, make it exceedingly difficult to obtain a complete list of officials prior to 1852. Nevertheless an earnest effort has been made in that direction, and the way it’s given in the following pages may be considered approximately correct.
County Clerks.-The first occupant of this office during the territorial days was Daniel Pitman, who served from the time of the organization of the County until about the year 1834, when he left the County and removed to Texas. He was succeeded in the office by Sirrell C. LeBaron, who filled the position until Michigan became a state, and then he was elected the first clerk of the County under the state organization. The successors of Messrs. Pitman and LeBaron, in so far as the writer has been able to obtain their names, with the years of their elections, follow: 1836, John Barber; 1838, William R. Powers; 1846, Daniel Hicks; 184.8,. Lucius G. Sholes; 185o, Charles Chandler; 1852, John Miller; 1854, William Kinsley; 1856, Almond L. Bliss; 1862, Leander Kimball; 1866, George W. Westerman; 1872, Henry C. Conkling; 1876, William L. Church; 188o, Thomas Hunter; 1884, David A. Bixby; 2886, George W. Fleming; 189o, Ira Waterman; 1894, Edwin LeRoy Mills; 1898, John Gahagan; 1goo, Fred B. Kline; 1904, Fred A. Acker, present incumbent.
Almond L. Bliss was born in Blissfield, Lenawee County, Nov. 7, 1832. He attended the district school in his native village until sixteen years of age, when he entered the employ of Marvin L. Stone, then the leading merchant of Blissfield, and he gained the confidence of his employer so rapidly that the second year he was selected from the force of employees as bookkeeper of the establishment and confidential clerk to his employer. At the age of nineteen years Mr. Bliss formed a co-partnership with his then brotherin-law, Myron E. Knight, tinder the firm name of Knight & Bliss, and kept a general stock of merchandise, the firm continuing business about two years, when a new firm was organized (Mr. Knight retiring) under the firm name of A. L. Bliss & Co., with Sewell S. Goff as co-partner. The business was continued until 1856, when Mr. Bliss was elected County clerk on the Republican ticket, in the ever memorable "Fremont campaign." His services were so acceptable to his constituents that he was re-elected in. 1858 and gain in I8Go, a compliment to efficient services then unprecedented in the political history of the County. Mr. Bliss was elected clerk of his township as soon as he arrived at his majority, and was continued in that office until 1856, and he was twice elected by the board of supervisors as one of the County superintendents of the poor. In 1858 (while clerk of the County) Mr. Bliss commenced the compilation of the records of land titles of Lenawee County, which system has since been universally adopted in all the Western states, and he built tip an extensive land business, acquiring a well-merited reputation as an examiner of land titles. Mr. Bliss removed to Adrian in January, 1857, and was connected with the choir of Plymouth church and Sabbath school, most of the time as chorister, for more than twenty years, and until the disorganization of the church and society in 1879. He was identified with the musical interests of the city and County and gained much local notoriety as a singer, and he was active and efficient in all public enterprises of the day.
County Treasurers.-1836, Charles Hewitt; 1838, Daniel U. Sinclair; 1844, James Geddes; 1848, David Horton; 185o, James Geddes ; i86o, John I. Knapp ; 1866, William H. Kimball; 1870, Sylvester B. Smith; 1874, George R. Allis ; 1878, George R. Cochran ; 1882, Jay Hoag; 1886, William C. Moran ; 1890, William H. Wiggins; 1894, James E. Jacklin; 1898, Frank E. Pratt; 1902, Frank A. Bradish; 19o6, William Britton.
Col. Sylvester B. Smith was born in Raisin, Lenawee County, Sept. 19, 1832. He removed to Palmyra with leis parents when he was six months old, and he lived with his father on the farm until he was sixteen years of age. He afterward learned the cabinetmaker's trade, which he followed at times until he was about twentytwo years old. He received a good common-school education, and commenced teaching school at the age of eighteen. In 1854 he went to Morenci, and acted as salesman and bookkeeper for different firms until the fall of 1861. While residing in Morenci he was three times elected clerk of the township of Seneca, and he was once elected justice of the peace. At the breaking out of the Civil war he was active in raising recruits for the Union army, and went into the service in command of a company recruited in Morenci and Hudson, and was assigned to the Eleventh Michigan infantry, which was ordered to Bardstown, Ky., in the winter of 1861-62. He was commissioned major in August, 1862. At the battle of Stone's River he was badly wounded in the face and neck, being entirely disabled for future service. He was commissioned. heutenant-colonel immediately after the battle, but was obliged to resign, and he came home in the spring of 1863. In April, 1863, just after returning from the army, he was elected supervisor of Seneca. In the fall of 1864 he was elected sheriff of 'Lenawee County, and was reelected in 1866. In the fall of 1864 he moved to the city of Adrian, where he resided the remainder of his life. In the fall of 187o he was elected to the office of County treasurer, and was re-elected in 1872. 'In the last-named year he engaged in the hardware business with C. D. Todd, soon afterward purchasing the well known store of F. J. Buck, and formed a company known as Todd, Smith & Jewell. In 1873 Mr. Todd retired, and Smith & Jewell continued the business until, the fall of 1878, when Mr. Smith disposed of his interest to R. J. Jewell. In June, 1876, Mr. Smith was elected cashier of the Lenawee County Savings Bank, and served in that capacity until November, 1878, when he formed a partnership with Thomas J. Tobey, and engaged in the banking business as successors to W. H. Stone & Co. In politics, Mr. Smith was always a Republican, and for four years after the death of Robert R. Beecher he was chairman of the Republican County committee. He was an attendant of the Presbyterian Church and a member of the board of trustees.
George R. Allis was born in Riga, Monroe County, N. Y., April 26, 1829. He lived at home until the age of twenty-one, at LeRoy, N. Y., and at Romeo, Mich., until he was twenty-six, after which he spent eight years as clerk in the hardware store of George L. Bidwell, in Adrian, twelve years on a farm in Cambridge, this County, and four years as treasurer of Lenawee County. After retiring from that office he was elected justice of the peace in Adrian and also became the secretary of the Farmers' Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Lenawee County.
Registers of Deeds.-The following occupants of this office are given in the order of their service, so far as it has been possible to obtain their names, and the list can be rehed upon as being approximately correct. Prior to the organization of the state government a register of probate performed the duties of the office, and the incumbents of that position were George Spofford, M. A. Patterson, and Davis Smith. Beginning with 1837 the registers have been as follows: Dr. Parley J. Spalding, Edgar A. Brown, Daniel Hicks, Charles Smith, John Miller, Charles M. Croswell, Charles. Chandler, Benjamin Turner, William A. Whitney, Morton Eddy, Myron E. Knight, E. Haff, Michael P. Long, Avery A. Dolbear, Stillman W. Bennett, Alfred W. Smith, Warren J. Parker, Mark B. B. Mills, Smith C. Fairbanks, John A Poucher, and William W. King, the present incumbent.
Dr. Parley J. Spalding was born in the town of Columbia, Herkimer County, New York, Aug. 6, 1805, and resided there until the year 1825. He received his preparatory education at Hamilton, after which he went to Williamsville, Erie County, New York, where he studied medicine with his brother, Dr. Luther Spalding, and afterward graduated at Fairfield Medical College, in the year 1829, commencing practice in company with his brother at Williamsville. He continued in practice at that place until the year 1832. In that year he removed to Adrian, where he formed a co-partnership with Dr. Caleb N. Ormsby, Adrian's first physician, and this partnership continued for one and a half years, when it was dissolved, and Dr. Spalding continued to practice alone until 1836. Then a co-partnership was formed with Dr. A. Barnard, tinder the name of Spalding & Barnard, which continued until the death of Dr. Barnard in the summer of 1864, making a, continuous partnership of about twentyeight years. After the death of Dr. Barnard, Dr. Spalding continued the practice of his, profession alone until the fall of 1871, when he sold out his office, books, instruments, fixtures, good will, etc., to Dr. George W. Voorhees, a young physician who was born and educated, in part, in Adrian. In the fall of 1836 Dr. Spalding was elected register of deeds of Lenawee County, which office he held two years. In the spring of 1841 he was elected president of the village council of Adrian, and was re-elected in 1842, holding the office two years. In 1844 he was elected one of the presidential electors on the Democratic ticket, and was chosen messenger by the electors to carry the vote of the state to Washington. In the year 1853 he was elected moderator of the Adrian Union School Board, and served in that capacity three years. In April, 1854, he was elected mayor of the city of Adrian, being the second mayor elected after the organization of the city government, and in accordance with the charter of the city he acted as a member of the board of supervisors of the County, and was chosen by that board as chairman, in which capacity he acted throughout the year. He was frequently importuned to accept nominations for various and important legislative offices, but always declined, except in the year 1851, when, by the unanimous request of the Lenawee County Democratic convention, he permitted his name to be used in the Congressional district as a candidate for representative in Congress, and after a series of balloting he was defeated by David A. Noble, of Monroe. Together with other prominent and active Democrats, in the winter of 1832-33, he organized the Democratic Party in Lenawee County, and to that organization he was ever after strongly attached.
Capt. Daniel Hicks was born at Newburgh, Orange County, New York, April II, 1813, and removed to Adrian in the spring of 1837. In 1840 he was elected register of deeds of Lenawee County, and in 1846 County clerk, holding each office one term. He was partial to military life, and before coming to Michigan commanded the Governor's Guard in the city of New York. On May io, 1842, he organized the Adrian Guards, and was captain thereof until 1847. Upon the outbreak of -the warr with-Mexico he raised and was commissioned captain of Company G, First regiment of Michigan volunteers. IlVith his command he was stationed near V era Cruz until the close of the war, when he returned home. He was subsequently appointed by President Taylor receiver of moneys at Sault St. Marie, where he died from cholera, Aug. 9, 1849.
William Augustus Whitney was born in Shelby, N. Y., April 21, 1820, moved with his parents to Adrian in June, 1828, and when eighteen years old went to Attica, N. Y., in the service of Elias T. Stanton and David Scott, as a clerk in a dry-goods store. After two and a half years he returned to Adrian and continued in the same business till the fall of 1847. In December, 1847, he opened the New Franklin hotel, which he kept about one year, when he disposed of it and returned to the mercantile business, in which he continued most of the time till 1858. In the spring of 1859, in which year the first stone pavement was laid in Adrian, he was elected city recorder; was again elected in 186o, and held the office till April, 1861. In the fall of 1862 he was elected register of deeds of Lenawee County", again elected two years later, and served till Jan. 1, 1867. He then engaged as a clerk in the office of the Michigan State Insurance Company, where he continued till the spring of 1869, when he was appointed postmaster at Adrian, which office he held from May 17, 1869, to May 17, 1873. He then engaged in the printing business and founded the Adrian Daily and Weekly Press, which he published for nearly five years, and sold out April 5, 1878. In November, 1877, he wrote for his paper the early history of Adrian, from 1825 to 1835, and on Feb. 17, 1875, organized the Lenawee County Pioneer Society, of which he was chosen the first secretary. In 1879, in company -with Richard I. Bonner, he canvassed the County of Lenawee, gathering material for a series of biographical sketches, which they published in two handsome volumes under the title, "History and Biographical Record of Lenawee County, Michigan," a very valuable work, to which the writer of this volume is indebted for a great deal of information. Mr. Whitney died Jan. 23, 1884, and was buried in Oakwood cemetery.
Michael P. Long was born in the city of New York, Aug. 12, 1835, but was taken by his parents to Chicago when four years old. In his youth he secured a very fair education, and after he grew to manhood he devoted three winters to school teaching, after which he attended the Ansel Smith Academy, located in Kane County, Illinois. Very soon after the breaking out of the war in 1861 he came to Michigan and settled in Cedar Springs township, on what is now the site of the village of that name in Kent County. In the month of June, that year, he enlisted in the army, being mustered as a private soldier in Company E, Third Michigan infantry, in time to participate in the battle of Bull Run; and during his term of service in that regiment he passed through the various grades of non-commissioned officers until he attained the rank of first sergeant, in which position he remained until the regiment was consolidated with the Fifth Michigan, after the battle of the Wilderness. Soon after this he was tendered a captain's commission in the re-organized Third regiment, and in that rank he served during the remainder of the war, being mustered out of the service a captain and brevet major of the regiment. At the close of the war he returned to the North and located in Adrian, where, in 1871, he obtained a position in the office of the register of deeds, and in that capacity he served two years. He was then appointed probate register, and in 1876, on account of his efficiency and experience, he was elected by the people to the office of register of deeds of Lenawee County. At the close of his first term, having served so acceptably and faithfully, he was complimented with a second election, which gave hint as chief of that office four years' service. In 1881 he was elected to the office of justice of the peace, and at the close of his first term was re-.elected, being the last to hold the position of police justice during the existence of the old charter. In 1886 he was elected to the office of coroner of Lenawee County, and in all these public positions he brought to the discharge of their duties intelligence and a fair sense of justice.
Avery A. Dolbear was born in Sweden, Monroe County, New York, Feb. 16, 1825. He resided there until he was about 1o years old, when his parents moved to Barre, Orleans County, New York, where the resided until the fall of 1842, when the family migrated to Michigan and settled on section. 13, in Rollin, this County. Avery A. lived with his parents until, he was twenty-one years old, following the occupation of a farmer, and then he learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed summers and taught school winters for several years. In- 1855 he purchased a farm on section-14, in Rollin, erected nearly all the buildings, and resided there until 1875, when he sold out and removed to Greenville, Montcalm County, and engaged in the mercantile business. He remained there only about two years, when he disposed of his interests and returned to Rollin. During his residence in Rollin he served the people as school inspector, town treasurer, justice of the peace, and was elected supervisor ten years. In 188o he was elected register of deeds of Lenawee County on the Republican ticket, was re-elected in 1882, and served in that position four years.
Surveyors.-i838, Richard Kent; 1850, Calvin Crane; 1852, Burton Kent; 1882, James Blair; 1goo, Franklin S. Phillips; 1904, Charles Kissinger; 19o6, John L. Richard; 1908, Charles S. Keating, present incumbent.
Calvin Crane came of New York stock and was born in Wayne County, near Palmyra, Dec. 25, 1816. He passed his early boyhood in his native County, where his opportunity for an education was only that of the common or district school. When he came with his parents to 'Lenawee County he was sixteen years of age, and after that time he was deprived of the privilege of even a district school education, but was sent three months to a select school in the town of Raisin. In the fall of 1836 he was allowed to return to the state of New York, to spend the winter in the completion of his school education, and returning he remained on the farm with his parents until he attained twenty-one years of age. In 1844 he settled on section 18, Palmyra Township, on a part of the family homestead, where he was engaged in general farming, and also turned his attention to surveying. In 1850 he was chosen as assistant resident engineer, and had charge of the rebuilding of the "Kalamazoo," now known as the Lake, Shore Railroad. He also assisted in surveying and constructing the Michigan Southern road, running from Monroe to Adrian. His position as assistant resident engineer on the Michigan Southern continued about a year, and he also occupied the position of resident engineer at Toledo station for the section of the road known as the "Air Line Division" of what is now the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern road, from its conception to its completion. After completing the construction part of the work he was appointed purchasing agent, and it was made his duty to buy supplies for the various departments.
After serving a considerable time in this capacity he was compelled to resign on account of failing health, and he returned to the farm, upon which he remained until 1864. In 1867 he was appointed civil engineer for the city of Toledo, Ohio, and held that position until 1871, when he resigned and returned to Adrian, where he spent the remainder of his life. He held various offices in the gift of the people, having been supervisor one term, assessor, and highway commissioner several terms.
Burton Kent was born in New Hampshire, in the town of Londonderry, July 24, 1814, and was twenty years of age when he came to Michigan. He was educated principally in his native state, first in the common schools and afterward at Pinkerton Academy, one of the best endowed institutions in that part of the country. After completing his term at this academy he engaged in teaching, and after his arrival in Lenawee County he taught several terms, at Hudson and other places. He served as County surveyor for a period of, thirty years, and it is said that no line of his establishment has ever been set aside or re-located. He also carried on farming until he was about forty-five years of age, when he retired from that occupation. He was a Democrat until 186o, at which time he joined the Republican Party and afterward affiliated with it.
Coroners.-The following list, although not complete, gives the names of many of those who have served in this capacity: 1838, Moses B. Cook and Oliver Miller; 1840, Warner M. Comstock; 1850, Samuel Dean and Thomas C. Warner; 1852, F. McMath and Solomon Warner; 1854, James B. Hampton and James Sword; 1856, Solomon Warren and W. S. Wilcox; 1858, Alonzo Colgrove and John Stretch; 186o, James Sword and Charles Chandler; 1862, James Sword and L. Palmer; 1868, James Sword and A. J. Hunter; 1870, James Sword and Elisha Baker; .1872, James Sword and H. S. Russell; 1884, H. H. Searer and Joseph R. Bennett; 1886, Michael P. Long and Henry C. Conkling; 1888, John L Knapp and Hiram D. Ellis; 18go, John E. White and Eugene Case; 1892, John I. Knapp and Samuel W. Hamilton; 1894, Darwin M. Bainbridge and Samuel W. Hamilton; 1896, John I. Knapp and Samuel W. Hamilton; 1898, Wira H. Dolph and Samuel W. Hamilton; 1900, Henry W. Stevens and Samuel W. Hamilton; 1904, Henry W. Stevens and Bernard P. Thomas, present incumbents.
Judges, Prosecuting Attorneys, Circuit Court Commissioners and Sheriffs.-See chapter on Bench and Bar.
TECUMSEH PUBLIC LIBRARY